Crochet Old timers

I started coheting ch. in 1954 but actual crocheting in 1957 (as a new bride) & knitting in "59 (in England by then) so it has been almost 50 yrs. for me. No, I'm not old. If you don't believe me, ask my Mom. She & my Pop are both still alive. I have great grandchildren tho. My kids & grandkids ( even the boys) know some basic st.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was taught at age twelve. I pestered my grandma until she gave up, sat me down and showed me. I made two projects which I thought came out badly and did not touch a crochet hook for at least ten years. Then I REFUSED to look at a pattern. EVERYTHING I made until about two years ago was free-form. Don't panic, most of those projects were blankets.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n25/paah-paah/

Well it looks like Gabbygale and Cat are the oldest people to respond so far. I have to say I myself am technically only a hooker since about October of 2005, however the first time I picked up the hook was probably about 1979 at 4 years old. Grandma had me chaining about as far back as I can remember. Well...my point is...you "old timers" as you call yourselves have MANY more good years to come of crocheting. And If my grandma was still here...I bet anything out there she'd be a site administrator at 72 years old....cuz thats just the way she was. I miss her dearly every day...9 years later...and I'm proud to have finally picked up her craft!:manyheart Keep on Hookin' ladies!

I've been crocheting for 29 years myself! I learned to knit 30 years ago, but I didn't pick that back up until just a couple of years ago. With crocheting, however, I have been doing that most of the last 29 years, except when I couldn't for almost 9 months after hurting one of my arms! Yep, I'm guess I'm an Crochet Old Timer! :yes

:blush I learned to crochet when I was 7 years old. So.....I have been crocheting for over 40 years -- 45 years to be exact. :yes Boy do I feel old and I have the grey hair to prove it!

Barb

If anyone has crochet hooks that have the price embedded in them, like I do, I have two that say 35 cents, then they are considered ole timers. I have been crocheting/knitting since I was 12 and am 55, but I still feel young :think

I have to give a standing ovation to those who taught themselves to crochet, that creates alot of patience :applause

Ditto on all cept I am 52 (53 in April). My oldest will be 21 in July--

Ummm...my oldest will be 21 in October and I'm only 43. My beloved Grandmother taught me be basics when I was, oh, I guess maybe 8, then again when I was about 11 or 12, then I didn't pick it up again until my oldest was around 4 (1989) and I wanted to make her some leg warmers for her ballet and jazz classes. I went round and round with those (:blush ) until I gave up because it ended up being a leg-to-neck warmer because I couldn't stop going in circles because I didn't know about slip stitch at the time (although now I do!) and then put everything away until October of 2003 (when I was laid off from my job :() and have been going ever since.

Now I'm not even going to attempt to add all that up so I'm just going to go with 3 years and consider the earlier attempts as practice.

• 5 months later...

I've been crocheting straight since my dd was born, so that makes 16 years!

I learned in the seventies, but didn't really get into it until I was pregnant for the first time and needed to nest.

:manyheart

Ehm .. i have been crocheting since 2001 .. does that make me an oldie < are you happy ?

lol .. iam only 19 years old .. i feel shy now ..:blush

iam worried of getting married coz i don't want to leave the corchet .. does marriage do that ? :think

long live old crocheters :cheer

Ehm .. i have been crocheting since 2001 .. does that make me an oldie < are you happy ?

lol .. iam only 19 years old .. i feel shy now ..:blush

iam worried of getting married coz i don't want to leave the corchet .. does marriage do that ? :think

long live old crocheters :cheer

My hubby is thankful for crochet... it keeps me occupied during sporting events!

Just curious, thought it'd be a fun question.

How many crochet "old timers" do we have here? You know, those of us who've been crocheting 15, 20, 30 years or more?

I learned when I was 10, in (oooo telling my age!) in 1977.

OK, it's hard to answer this, since I don't want to admit to being an "old timer", but I learned from my grandmother when I was 9 or 10, and I just turned 47, so that would put me in the "30 years or more" catagory! I learned with thread because that is what my grandmother did most. She crocheted edging on hankies. I couldn't get the hang of that, so I taught myself to make Barbie clothes.

If anyone has crochet hooks that have the price embedded in them, like I do, I have two that say 35 cents, then they are considered ole timers.

Well this is a cold slap of reality, I have hooks that were my grandmother's and they have the price embedded, but they say 10 cents!

I'm by no means old and neither are any of you, however, I learned to crochet when I was around 10 and I am now 25. So I have been crocheting for at least 15 years!!! Wow just wait until I am a grandma crocheting for all my wonderful grandchildren!:c9

my mom taught me around the age of 8-10 and I am now 36. Can't remember hardly ever that I have went even one day without crocheting on something. I am so glad that she taught me, it is one of my favorite hobbies!

I have been crocheting since the age of 4 o 5 and I am now almost 53!!!!

My Granny taught me while I stayed with her while Mother was at work. Now that I am as old as dirt and mostly stupid (I have ms and that is my description of it), it fills a lot of time. It keeps me agile, gives me something to do while my husband is at work, and makes all the females in my family happy with the doilies and dishrags I treat them to!!

Archived