Crochet Old timers

Ive been crocheting since the time of walking to school back and forth 3miles uphill both ways!! My grandmother taught me when i was about 12 i think. Several years later, im still at it and love it even more. Im 43!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ive been crocheting since the time of walking to school back and forth 3miles uphill both ways!!

Don't forget "in the snow"!

I've been crocheting since the time of walking to school back and forth 3 miles uphill both ways in the snow!!

Like lots of others, I learned from my grandmother. I'm guessing I was 10 or so then. Not much done while finishing high school and university; started again with ambition when we got our first house (but the tablecloth still isn't done nearly two decades later), and especially when DS1 was on the way. Most of my projects, finished or not have been in the last five (5) years - fueled of course by DD's requests...

Doing the math implies that I'm up in the 35+ bracket

I was 9 when I learned from a dear lady in my dad's church (he's retired now and she's passed on). I remember practicing chain stitches in the dark as we waited for mom to get off work at JC Penny's before she finally got a job w/the school system.

I wasn't very good back then but picked it up again when my sis-in-law was expecting in 2000. (My original teacher(s) didn't use patterns - so I didn't learn to read them until I taught myself.)

I've been on a roll since 2003 and make most of our gifts (esp all the ones for the birthday parties our 3 kids go to!). I still consider myself pretty young...but I've been crocheting for...OH MY GOODNESS!!! 25 years! Yikes!

One of my first memories of my grandmother involves crochet. She had made crochet bookworms for all the grandkids, for Christmas, I think. They were long chains with a cork-screw "head" on them and google eyes glued to the front. I took mine apart and tried to copy it with yarn I already had. I showed it to her, and she patiently explained the difference between a single and double crochet.

I was about 5 or 6. I don't remember being taught to crochet. But, by this time I had learned to chain-stitch, single-crochet and increase. I also had begun my stash!!:devil

I'm 38 now, and I guess that makes me an old-timer as far as crocheting goes. But I am still young. I am still young. I am still young...

:hook my very best friend in high school patiently tried to show me how to crochet...1963...while pregnant with first son in 1969 was determined to master it...by the time i had second son in 1970 was making purses for everyone in the family...my grandmother always called them my irish twins since they were born on the same date one year apart....

so i guess that makes me a real old timer:clap 44 hooking years not age....

five year old granddaughter has shown an interest in learning to crochet...she makes a mean sc ch.:hug

I learned when I was about 5, but couldn't get the hang of anything but a chain stitch. My grandma kept my yarn and a hook at her house, so whenever I would go visit her (which was often), she'd hand it to me and I'd keep busy for hours crocheting miles and miles of chain. It was a good babysitter.

I didn't actually learn to crochet until I was about 22 and I started grad school. Been doing it for about 4 years now and I learned from a book, with a help from my grandmother explaining crocheting in rounds, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I was 19, newly married, and a friend in the neighborhood tried to teach me, but ended up saying I was hopeless.

Well, I just couldn't accept that, so I bought a book and taught myself which ended up being the best way, as now I'm able to read patterns, and she can't!

So, 30 years later, I enjoy crocheting more now than ever.

My cousin taught me how to crochet during a school strike in PA in the early '70s, so it's been 37 years. I've loved every minute of it! My former mother-in-law taught me how to knit years ago, and while I enjoyed knitting a really cool neck-down sweater pattern for every member of my family, I always gravitated back to crochet. I haven't picked up knitting needles in about 8 years ... I'm definitely a hooker! :hook:yes

I'm not an old timer...but I'm actually a bit jealous of those of you who are. I'd love to have a few years under my belt, but I've learned alot in the 1+ year I've been doing it. (I started at the age of 39--never too old...or too young for that matter--to start.)

I started knitting when I was about 10. My mom tried to teach me to crochet when I was a teenager, but I had a hard time picking it up. I tried again when she started teaching my younger sister. I'm so competitive, I decided that if sis could learn, so could I. 35+ years later, I'm addicted to crochet, and sis never made a second project. I've tried to teach DD, but she has no interest.:hook

Well lets see back in the early 1941's I was born then in 48 granny bell taught me to crochet a chain and I did after about a million chains I ask her whats next and she said now rip it out and roll it in a ball.so I did I think her just wanted to keep me busy so I chained and chained and chained for about 2 hours and got bored and went and played paper dolls anyone remember those? the when I got married at 21 I didnt have very much to do ( at 21 you can only clean 3 rooms so much) so I walked to a dime store and bought a learn how to book and I rembered how to chain I never chained with yarn so I got thread and after a while I make my MILaw a round table cloth.

and so I fill like I have crocheted all my life Im 65 now and I crochet and I mean I crochet like all day and night toI taught my D to crochet when she was 15 and she hated it But she learned ,I told her one day shed be glad she learned she didnt really start to really crochet until she was 22 now shes hooked . we crocheted so much and we couldnt keep it all so we started setting up at our local craft shows and selling our stuff. we are the only booth that has ALL crochet crafts. opps just saw this is suppose to be a quick reply sorry but that how old people are talk talk talk

• 11 months later...

I guess I am in this catagory too. I probably have a good 16 years of crocheting at least 5 hours a week. I couldn't even begin to figure out that math.

I guess I am an old timer also.

But that's ok. It's wonderful to be in this group.

:manyheart

Archived