34 yrs.! learned when I was 20 and expecting my first daughter (no ultra-sounds or epidurals back then!:eek ) Gee, that makes me 54! YIKES that sounds old. But trust me, I'm NOT! LOL! :lol

I was going to say I was older than you and there were both ultrasounds and epidurals when I was pregnant. I just realized I was pregnant 7 years after you. I was only 30 years old but at the time that was considered to be an "elderly primagravida." Translation: old to be pregnant for the first time.

I was crocheting by 1970. I don't remember the exact year I learned.

My grandma taught me the afghan stitch when I was very young...she died when I was 9, and I am now ...well, on paper I am old, but I still have 2 kids in college who keep me young. So I guess it has been 45+ years that I have known how to crochet, although I have started and stopped many times as I got into some other hobbies. Lately though, this is my only form of therapy.

MaryPat: They told me the same thing as you - "elderly primagravida." My 3 boys were all born when I was in my thirties, although I got married at 24. (I had them at 31, 35 and 37), and in the 1980's that was considered pretty old. Now, it is not unusual to be having kids in one's 40's.

i learned at the age of 11..that was in 1971. i still remember the first thing i made. grandma deedee took me the alco and i bought red heart pink/white and purple/white. it was 4 grannys on one side (2 of each color) and a big granny on the other side making 2 rows of each until it was the same size was the 4 grannys squares. the ugliest pillow i ever saw. but i was so proud. I still have the hook. a pink susan bates g

I learned to knit when I was very young, but I never liked it much.

I learned to crochet somewhere between 26 to 28 years old. Thereabouts. I'm 56 now, 57 in a few days, so I just figure it's been 30 years.

I love to crochet a lot more than I used to, and I keep a much larger stash on hand.

:hookI taught myself to crochet about 31 years ago when I wanted to make something for my cousins coming baby & have been going ever since:coffee

I started crocheting when I was around 8 years old. That was in 1967. Oh my now I'm telling my age. lol. I will be 49 on Thursday. My grandmother taught me. She started me on the granny square. I started using thread when I was around 30. I love thread crochet now especially doilies.

I've been crocheting for about 24 years... but didn't learn until I was 40.

I started crocheting when I was 8 in 1968.

Sheryl

My mum taught me to crochet when I was about 8 and I am now 50. Sort of scary when I think about it.

I think I'm a young old-timer.....my mom taught me when I was 7 or 8 years old so that means ive been crocheting for around 20 years. Mostly did little things that never EVER got finished when I was younger, but picked it up again big time when I was pregnant with my first son. Now both boys have baby blankets, everyone has hat and scarf sets, I just finished my first adult blanket, my parents and sisters got amigurumis for christmas, and now I am working on my first wearable (a sweater), and 3 more afghans. Geez I didnt realize I had so much going on.....better get :crocheting:eek

I don't know if I've posted in this thread before but I have been crocheting since 1958 & a newlywed. I practiced with my little brother's kite string. I got pregnant soon after that & started making baby sets in greens, whites, yellows, blues & pinks. My baby was an adorable daughter. We not only didn't have ultrasounds & such but had to boil (sterilize) our baby bottles & formula. Since my husband was USAF, we were stationed in England. No running hot water either. Soak diapers, wash them on a rub-board in the kitchen sink, then boil them 15 min. in pure soap flakes ( I used a galvanized pail). Rinse untill water was clear about 4 or 5 sinksfull of water. Then wring (by hand) & hang on the line. Had lines across my living room for winter drying. It was all just part of "bringin' up baby". Also sewed clothes & knitted for my kids as they were growing up. Can you tell I'm proud Mom? Grandma & great-grandma too.

I taught myself to crochet while I was with my husband stationed in Germany during 1972. No tv, and didn't have a close library, but made a friend that had lots of patterns and found yarn and hooks were available in the local German stores.

Oooo that walker scraping noise curls my teeth.

But talk about crocheting pioneers... I met a girl in Montany who's still crocheting and she's 94!! I blogged about her here

http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2007/10/theres-golda-in-montana.html

what an incredible lady!!

Unfortunately she's not a member here so she can't win the prize.

I learned to crochet when I was 7. That has been 25 years!! :eek I'm only 32 years old. I've spent most of my life crocheting. :cheer Does this make me an "old-timer"? :knit

Blessings,

Lynn