Post a picture of your grip style

jimbo

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goldi, my grip is EXACTLY like yours, right down to the index finger movement and wrist involvement. Your picture could be a picture of my hand it's so identical.

Wow - that's amazing! Sure we're not related? :think:wink

I guess I didn't realize there were so many options! I hold mine like DonnaLynn...it just seemed "right" to me since the hook kinda lines up with the holes...lol. Even thinking about coming down at them from the top like some of you guys seems hard to me. :think

I'm also a Pink. :cheer

When working with a size F or smaller, I've found I like to grip my hook about an inch closer to the tip. I even filed a flat spot on the shaft of one of my F hooks so it wouldn't roll under my thumb when I use it and I've found I rather use that hook than my other F.

So, adding to Jimbo's question, do any of you find you'd rather have the grip closer to or farther from the tip than what is provided on commercial hooks? I'm curious.

I am a Goldie Gripper, precisely how she describes it. Again, neither my nails NOR my work looks as nice, but that's my grip. I like clover hooks becase they are shorter, and the end is flat. They come just to the end of my hand, maybe a little less. I just like the feeling of not having any "extra".

This is fun!

This is an interesting thread! Just before Christmas the daughter of one of my coworkers asked me to teach her to crochet. While watching her hold the hook in a pencil grip she looked SOOO awkward that I had her change to the "mixing spoon" grip. She said that it really was more comfortable then every time she picked the hook up after that she was back to the pencil grip. I really did not care which grip she used, but her movements were more fluid with the mixing spoon than with the pencil grip.

th_08fa2b2c.jpg

th_235ad8dd.jpg

Just moving my pics over here.

Think I am also going to move this thread over to the crochet getting to know you as it is about crocheting. ;)

I find this interesting. I wonder if "holds" are regional, or maybe even generational. I learned to crochet from my grandmother who lived in Ohio. She was born in the 1890's and taught me the knife hold. Perhaps that other (underhand?) hold is newer?

Anyone care to comment?

I just reread this thread and looked at the pictures again. I mostly hold my hook with my middle and ring fingers. The index finger guides my hook but is loose and often holds or moves the yarn on the hook. I think I'm in the same court as Goldi and Wyldflrs.

Tampa Doll...........I loved your VIDEO! Nothing beats an action shot!

my therory is that ppl hold the hook in a way that works best for them .. my grand mother and great grand mother taught me but i have come up with a hold all my own.. its just what works for me.. and when i teach pll i tell them to hold the hook anyway they want to as long as the stitches turn out the same ..

Now that I've looked at my hands as I work, this is exactly like my grip. OK Jimbo, what kind of hook should I use?:think

Originally Posted by shella85222

Here is mine.... Sorry my needle is a dark color. Hope you can see it?

122631279.jpg

Ah, very good Ms Cruelladvill; might i suggest an underhand-toothbrush-style-thumb/middlefinger-thru pinky-grip-with-pointer-finger-forward hook in, oh, lets say a Susan Bates L? And might i venture that the Deadmancrick fir is particularly good just now?

Archived