Post a picture of your grip style

jimbo

This is such a fascinating topic, and at the suggestion of some others, i'm attempting here to start a collection of photos showing all the different grip styles. And i thought i'd break the ice by showing you one of mine. The bandaid is there just as a prop.

th_d4fcb207.jpg

(see, i TOLD you i don't crochet!)

Please add yours below.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's mine:

hookposition.jpg

I don't like shorter hooks because they rub against my palm... I like longer hooks that extend past my wrist a bit...

Ok, after watching myself crochet today I realized the pic above of me is incorrect. Weird huh? I'll try and take another pic and post it.

This is such a fascinating topic, and at the suggestion of some others, i'm attempting here to start a collection of photos showing all the different grip styles. And i thought i'd break the ice by showing you one of mine. The bandaid is there just as a prop.

th_d4fcb207.jpg

(see, i TOLD you i don't crochet!)

Please add yours below.

Hello jimbo

maybe this is kind of a dumb question:think , but how do I post a picture of the way I hold my crochet hook?Carol

Here's mine. You'd think I had cats chasing my hook looking at the grip I've got on it! Oh wait, I do!

th_PICT2932.jpg

th_PICT2933.jpg

I hold mine the same way. It was the way I was taught. You're the first one I've seen to hold it like i do...awesome!

Hello jimbo

maybe this is kind of a dumb question:think , but how do I post a picture of the way I hold my crochet hook?Carol

Not dumb at all Carol...I think there is a thread somewhere in here that tells you how to put your photos into Photobucket so you can post them here. Its pretty easy, and i could try to explain it but i couldn't do as well as someone (i think it's Julie) already has.

Try searching or emailing Julie and see if you can get help there first. If that doesn't work, let me know and i'll do my best to help you along.

Looking forward to seeing your grip!

Jimbo

:eek I started out holding it like Anne, but I was made fun of by an old boss of mine, so I worked on it at home to mimic her. :blush

Now it's most like Pinks, but I hold it a little closer to the top of the hook.

I don't have a digi, and I don't see myself getting one anytime soon, so hope that helps that one! :think

Here's mine. You'd think I had cats chasing my hook looking at the grip I've got on it! Oh wait, I do!

That's how I hold mine, too. I pretty much hang on with my whole hand!

This is the same way I hold mine :)

Hello wyldflrs !

it's nice to meet you, when I watched myself crocheting, at first I thought that I was holding my hook wrong, some time ago, however, if it's comfortable to you, or me, press on:clap !! it is not wrong. I hold my hook like shella85222 does, I use the back of my hook for a little extra support for my wrist.

Have A Great New Year!!

jimbo!! Thank you for the support I appreciate it:cheer . There is someone that lives next door to us, & when they get back from las Vegas, I'll ask them if they can take a picture of my grip style, we don't have a digital camera yet, & they do, hope!!!!:hook

Thank You again, & HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!

While my daughter was here to visit last night, I lasso'd her into assisting me in documenting my hook grip. Since my digicam can also take moving pics, and she knows how to do it, she took a movie picture of my hands while I crocheted. Neither of us realized, though, that the camera ALSO records SOUNDS, so needless to say we were both shocked and amused to hear ourselves discussing my concerns about being self-conscious and having it affect my ability to crochet (it did, to some degree).

It wasn't until much later - after she left, naturally - that I realized we had forgotten to take a STILL shot of my hook grip, which had been the primary goal, lol! So I had to try and do a self-portrait. Do you know how hard it is to line up a shot and click the picture on a camera with your left hand? I couldn't see around my hand to the screen, and it was seriously awkward reaching for that button to take the pic without getting my left hand in front of the camera! :lol But, somehow, I pulled it off, though it is rather too close to the camera. Here is the result:

hookgrip.jpg

I've been trying to pay more attention to my grip lately, thanks to the discussions here (and the fact that I seriously covet one of those marvelous jimbo hooks!). I realized that I have a very loose grip on my hook, holding it primarily with the last two fingers of my hand and balancing it with my second finger, my index fingers tends to "float" above the hook, grabbing the yarn loop and anchoring it as I make my stitches. I also have a lot of wrist movement, which tends to aggravate the problem I've been having with the area of my arm just below the crook of my elbow. I'm thinking it might be tendonitis, but I don't know for sure.

Well, this is probably more than anyone needed to know, so I'll shut up now! :lol

Archived