Post a picture of your grip style

jimbo

:laughroll :laughroll :laughroll :laughroll

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Chocked Toothbrush, how do you choke a toothbrush???

Apparently you choke a toothbrush in the style shown in post #124....:angry

Now I'm going to feel totally self-conscious about crohceting in public: "OHMYGASH!!!! :eek Look at that woman - she's choking a defenseless crochet hook! Stop her, quickly!"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently you choke a toothbrush in the style shown in post #124....:angry

Now I'm going to feel totally self-conscious about crohceting in public: "OHMYGASH!!!! :eek Look at that woman - she's choking a defenseless crochet hook! Stop her, quickly!"

Ah i'm sorry. I shoulda explained. I said "choke" in the sense that a batter "chokes" up on a bat by moving his/her hands closer to the working end to make the bat work to his/her likes. Not to be offensive or to make you self-conscious, especially after all those nice things you said about your hook! You choke nicely!

• 3 weeks later...

I hold my hook and yarn like Nightowl and Crochet Quenn 03 said about her BF's mother not knowing the stitches and such after my mom died I was talking to SIL and she said mom was going to help her learn to do a dc I said give me your yarn and I will show you well guess what she was doing the dc she just didn't know have tried to help her for a long time she does sloppy work and not even or anything but if she calls I will be there for her

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had reason in the past to actually look into the "proper" way to hold a hook. If you go to old reference books it says to hold a hook like a pencil, your thumb on the flat part. I call this "underhanding." I have never, ever, no when no how, ever been able to crochet underhanded. This is why it took until college for me to pick up a hook.

More modern resources say there are two ways: like a pencil or like a butter knife. I call the butter knife hold "overhanding." I overhand. For years and years I thought I was the scourge of proper crochet cause of the way I held my hook. You can imagine my delight when I found out that I was normal (and by the looks of things, in good company).

I do seem to work with a lot of left wrist movement. Maybe this is to compensate for my bum right wrist. Go figure. All I know is if I stop crocheting for any extended period of time, my wrist seizes up. There is a debate among friends whether this is CT or arthritus. I call it a reason to keep crocheting.

Well, I am a toothbrush, butterknife, what ever ya wanna call it, lol. No matter what I name it, I amaze my mother(She is a pencil grip). She says "My hand would freeze that way if I tried that". I have to admit, watching her crochet is like watching a ballet. Her movements are so elegant, but I don't think it is the grip, I think it's because I just picked it up again, so I am a clumsy sticher. That and my tension is awful, lol.

Bean

• 1 month later...

Wow Lynn...You really got a grip of that hook.....you crochet so fast. I can't even move my hand if I grip my hook like that....(by the way,I love that hook you have there...I got a couple of those myself...I love them!!:D )

I taught myself to crochet :hook back in Mar (2006). The image of crocheting that I had then was the pencil grip :pencil. I cannot do this for the life of me! It is like my hands are made of wet noodles or something. I am a knitter :knit first, as I have done that since I was 5, so I just held the hook the same way I held my needle. Now my grip on the hook is tighter than on my knitting needle, and after reading the thread I would say I have the steak knife grip. My tension is rather curious :think compared to what I have read here. I knit in the continental style (working yarn is held in the left hand, with a low profile on my index finger for tension) so I guess I kinda crochet this way too. I hold my work between my left middle finger and thumb and sorta kinda with my index finger, because of the way I tension; with the working yarn coming up through, and squeezed between the index and middle fingers :think . My index finger has a very low profile turned down in a long arc behind my work, not held up high away from it. I think I crochet the way that I do because it more closely resembles my knitting style. This has been very interesting as I never much considered "how" I was crocheting, but rather simply that I was acheiving the corret stitch, and because I have nothing to compare it too (I do knot personally have contact with anyone in my small town who crochets, and only one woman in the next town over who knits. It is depressing! :( ), I thought, "whatever works." Had thought of this a great deal in regard to knitting though, as the three women that taught me to knit all have different styles, none of which are like mine!

• 1 month later...

What a fascinating thread.

I'm definately in the overhand category, but with a double wrap of yarn over my left middle finger. I think the double wrap developed through mostly working with fine thread on doilies. I will try and post a photo to explain it more clearly.

I really enjoyed this thread. I was very interesting to see all the different grips.

Just goes to show that "it really does take all kinds!"

Anyhow here's my grip!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/neicycrochets/100_2515.jpg

Cheers from a soggy wet Nova Scotia morning!

Neicy

Ok let see if I can explain mine :eek I hold mine in the right hand and sort of roll the hook between my thumb and pointer finger :confused then I hold my :yarn between my middle and pointer fingers of my left hand (like holding a ciggerate) I don't smoke, but this is just how I was taught! I learned to roll the hook when I had carppel in my wrist and the Dr. had me wearing splints on both wrist! But I figured out a way to crochet anyway :rofl! Hey were there is a will there is a way! :c9

• 2 months later...

Finally thought to have DH snap a picture of mine so I paused (posed?:lol ) for him...

th_MyGrip.png <==clicky

I'm working with thread in this picture, but I pretty much hold everything the same when I work with yarn as well...:hook

~k

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a camera to post with, but I would describe my grip as the overhand/steak knife. I roll with a lot of wrist action to yarn over, and I hold my left index finger in a tight curl like queen 03. My mom, the pencil gripper with the stick-out pointer, just shakes her head. The funny thing is that we can collaborate on big projects because our end results are practically identical.:think

What an interesting thread! I've read the whole thing!

I don't have a pic, but I would say my grip is like holiding a toothbrush as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I am also a leftie. And I swear watching people crocheting with their right hand makes my hands hurt! LOL. It looks SO foreign to me. I guess Righties that see Lefties going at it must feel the same thing.?????

I really enjoyed this thread. I was very interesting to see all the different grips.

Just goes to show that "it really does take all kinds!"

Anyhow here's my grip!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/neicycrochets/100_2515.jpg

Cheers from a soggy wet Nova Scotia morning!

Neicy

Mine is very similar. I was crocheting at lunch and someone (an older lady) walked up and had to speak to me because she holds hers the same way! She said she learned from a left hander and that was why. Maybe that's why I do... My mom was left handed. Maybe someone didn't know how to teach left handers... who knows. Anyway I like holding mine that way it helps me crochet fast I think, because I use my index finger and thumb to hold and move the yarn on the hook.

Debbi

Archived