Get To Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 1

First thing you ever crocheted?

I think it was a great granny square baby afghan for my niece.

Strangest place you have crocheted?

Either fishing at the river or at the movies.

Fave thing to make?

Hmmm not sure, depends on my mood and the time of year I guess.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?

Not yet but I really want to. Probably baby stuff for NICU.

Fave yarn?

Any really.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?

Used to be my g or h but now I sometimes like larger ones and of course my glitter hook.

No idea if they're Boye or Bates, I'd have to go look. lol

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?

Wow, I really need to think about that. I tend to stay away from difficult projects.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?

Probably. LOL

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? A pair of booties for the baby I was expecting

Strangest place you have crocheted? On a Greyhound bus.

Fave thing to make? Afghans

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not yet, but plan to in the future

Fave yarn? Bernat...any of their worsted weights. I haven't tried any of the new novelty yarns yet

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Definitely Boye! No favorite size, but usually do projects that call for "H" size hook.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I'm doing it now.....the 63 Squares afghan.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Crocheting with thread.

My grandmother gave me a bunch of yarn and I just crocheted and frogged for about 2 years. My first actual finished project was this rabbit in a dress.

No where, really.

Fave thing to make?

Baby/Toddler things. I have a 2 1/2 year old princess and another (princess?) on the way, so I like to crochet for them.

I have crocheted a few hats for homeless, but ended up donating them to the salvation army.

Fave yarn?

I love baby soft yarn. I haven't tried much more than plain acrylic and chenille, though. I haven't touched homespun or alpaca, although I would like to in the future.

I use G and H the most and I prefer Boye. I was given my grandmother's stash when she passed away, so that's all I had for 10 years. I recently acquired a Bates and it was a little strange to get used to.

I crocheted a doily for my doily-loving mother in law, and I'll probably never crochet another doily again. I haven't the patience.

Nope, but knitting is something 8 years in the making that hasn't progressed past the knit stitch yet. I can't even purl correctly.

More questions, I love it!

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? A scarf

Strangest place you have crocheted? Don't think I am a freak, but on the toilet at A.C. Moore. I was getting over food poisoning and had a class there and had the urge so I went and so did my crochet.

Fave thing to make? Baby Clothes

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Yes, Project Linus and other little things that can pop up

Fave yarn? anything cashmere

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I in Bamboo, I love Bamboo

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? The AbFab throw for my mother, there were so many different textures and fibers to deal with

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not really

The first thing I ever crocheted was a very simple blanket.

At my husband's high school band concert. (he's a teacher)

Fave thing to make?

Afghans

I haven't yet, but plan to.

Fave yarn?

Plain old RH.

H size, Boye.

An afghan for my mom.

The trinity stitch, for a while.

First thing you ever crocheted? A really lopsided potholder, it was supposed to be shaped like a heart.

Strangest place you have crocheted? In a tow truck.

Fave thing to make? I love to make big, warm afghans in the winter time.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? No, really, but everyone I know who's having a baby or knows someone who's having a baby get something.

Fave yarn?Caron simply soft

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? ? I never paid attention to what kind I buy.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? My lopsided, heart shaped potholder.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? I wonder just what I did to that potholder to make it look so bad.

First thing you ever crocheted? A afghan with 1700 tiny, tiny, granny squares.(won't be doing that again):rofl:loco

Strangest place you have crocheted? In the doctor's office

Fave thing to make? afghans

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? yes.. i make lapghans for the nursing home and baby blankets for the NICU

Fave yarn? any...usually use red heart, but want to try some of it all

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? H hook given to me by my mom, boye

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? the 1700 tiny, tiny, granny square afghan

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? too many to list... lots of things i want to learn.

First thing you ever crocheted? A purse for my niece made out of 8 granny squares (4 front, 4 back).

Strangest place you have crocheted? Um....nowhere strange I don't think...sitting on the floor in the hallways waiting for whatever my next class was to start? on the bus? Yea like I said...nowhere strange.

Fave thing to make? Anything my neices want.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not yet.

Fave yarn? Anything thats cheap and pretty :D

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Bates K

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? This throw I'm making for my brother...It's not that it's hard....it's just taking forever.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not really :) Not yet anyway.

First thing ever crocheted? A teal, hot pink, and white ripple afghan. Which was super wide on one end, and skinny on the other end.:lol

Strangest place you have crocheted? Hmm... I crochet in car pool at my kids' school every chance I get. I've crocheted on the toilet, too, while kids are in tub. And, I crocheted while we were camping once. (Nothing else to do...)

Fave thing to make? Lately, scarves, and shawls.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I have made critter blankies, and in the past I have made preemie caps, sweaters, booties, and an afghan to donate to the neonatal unit at U of M in Ann Arbor, MI

Fave yarn? I would love to buy the more expensive yarns in our LYS, but usually what I can afford is Wool- Ease, or Bernat. I like the boucle yarns lately.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Don't really seem to notice, but I hate plastic hooks.

Hardest thing ever crocheted? Probably doilies, when they are a lot of intricate repeats, and roses, and leafs...

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not so far. But I pretty much stay with what I know. I've done the afghan stitch. But not Tunisian. I've done picots, and pineapples...

Tina

timelesscreations.blogspot.com

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? a doily

Strangest place you have crocheted? during a weekend retreat activity, it's strange because i was still able to find time to crochet in the middle of the activities done in the retreat.

Fave thing to make? bags - which i've done a lot,

Do you do charity stuff? Not yet, but i would love too...help the local charity organizations here in my country.

Fave yarn? right now it's patons cha-cha and plymouth

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? i'm crocheting a blouse right now for the first time. so i guess this is hard for me. but i'm looking forward to doing a lot of wearable items.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? the afghan stitch, and my first crocheted doily which i think is bad because i didn't mind the mistakes i made and just continued til i've finished it.

Fe

First thing you ever crocheted? Baby booties

Strangest place you have crocheted? at the gymnatics gym while waiting fo my daughters

Fave thing to make? baby stuff

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? blankets and hats and booties for preemies

Fave yarn? soft

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I guess G, aluminum

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? a doll

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? not yet

First thing you ever crocheted? a baby blanket for my brother's baby. I did it in double crochet with a scalloped border, but I messed the border up so it's ruffly. still looks nice though.

Strangest place you have crocheted? on a flight from Atlanta to San Diego

Fave thing to make? socks maybe... I really liked working on the poncho that I just did too

Do you do charity stuff? I made a hat for the soldier that I adopted... I'm planning on starting making baby blankets for newborns whose dads are deployed.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I don't know which brand, but an I or J

Fave yarn? bernat denim-style makes the top of the list... but it makes me want oatmeal raisin cookies. don't ask! lol

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I tried to do a baby sweater that was all together until you got to the sleeves instead of all the parts sewn together... I was most of the way done, realized I'd made a bad mistake and had to frog it.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? don't think so... except for maybe why Yarn Acquisition Syndrome is so contagious... lol

was a pot-holder

in a motel room in the middle of the night (was crocheting myself a hat for the cold weather.. lol)

Fave thing to make?

Blankets & BedDolls

no.. sorry

Fave yarn?

Heart Heart Sport (I know, not very creative yet)

Brittany Wooden Hooks... size "H/I"

not sure yet.. lol

Afghan stitch, tatting, and lots more

A thread collar

at a red light...while I was driving.

Fave thing to make?

quick stuff...potholders/dishcloths/doilies

Not as much as I should

Fave yarn?

any kind! I'm not picky:blush

Bates, but that doesn't stop me from buying Brittany or any brand that catches my eye.

Anything that takes a long time.

Afghan stitch

Sara

First thing you ever crocheted? Still working on it even - a Star Afghan - received a crochet book with a cross-stitch lot I ordered off of E-bay - figured that I would give it a shot, so I pick the most difficult pattern in the book - typical me...even as a baby I ran before I walked!

Strangest place you have crocheted? Disney World in line waiting and waiting

Fave thing to make? Afghans :-)

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not yet - have plans lined up to work with my Aunt (Pediatrician) and the local hospital for blankies for kids having surgery - been there, know how scary it can be!

Fave yarn? I have been using Red Heart only so far...might branch out one of these days!

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? My trusty Boye G hook

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? This "little" afghan

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Where do I even begin??

First thing you ever crocheted? Hmmm, can't remember - probabaly one of those crocheted vest from a kit in the 70's

Strangest place you have crocheted? In English class in high school

Fave thing to make? Stuff for my girls

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not yet, but I want to do Linus blankets

Fave yarn? I love bulky stuff

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I love big hooks - Doesn't matter which brand though - just aluminum not plastic

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? a plaid afghan

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? doilies and such. Too small for me!

Cheryl

A blue cotton dishcloth (my great grandmother taught me at age 10). The ends were no where near straight.

Okay, I am fairly inexperienced, I would have to say in the car.

Fave thing to make?

I like it all- small blankets, squares, small projects

Love charity projects- Do a lot for Newborns in Need, blankets and booties in crochet, work with Northwinds Afghan Project making 12" squares to be assembled into small afghans to be given to AIDS patients living in residential facilities in OK and surrounding states.

Fave yarn?

Love Caron Simply Soft for baby stuff and other simple projects, also like LB Homespun. Really love Microfiber but can't afford much of it.

I'm a fan of Bamboo hooks, mostly size G

As mentioned before, not too experienced... that would have to be a diagonal baby blanket (laugh it up, you talented veterans!)

Centrific Square, don't know why but I can't make it work!

Tandi in OK

Answer these questions:

A bag to carry around my Learn to Crochet booklet.

By the pool.

Fave thing to make?

Backpacks

Knit slippers for the homeless shelter.

Fave yarn?

The fanciest yarn I can afford, LionBrands Homespun.

Aluminum, Size I, Bates (The only ones I have)

Fancy baby poncho.

How do you get rid of that space in between the first and last stitch when you join rounds? :think

-Wendy :)

• 3 weeks later...

First thing you ever crocheted? I crocheted a border around my mom's linen napkins when I was 7.

Strangest place you have crocheted? In the hospital bed, the morning after my daughter was born, I finished a shawl while she was sleeping.

Fave thing to make? Shawls. I love them, but so far I own only one because I give them all away.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Baby hats for hospitals, and I've started an afghan for the local homeless shelter.

Fave yarn? Either 100% cotton or 100% wool. They just slide along the hook so nicely.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? No fave size, really. I prefer Boye hooks but use both.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A doily I made in doctor and hospital waiting rooms when my mother was being treated for cancer. It was a difficult time and a difficult pattern, but it was so pretty when it was done.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Diagrams. I get lost in them. I much prefer written patterns.

First thing you ever crocheted? a pot holder

Strangest place you have crocheted? a hospital

Fave thing to make? squares

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? not really but want to

Fave yarn? anything soft and bright

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I only have Boye hooks and I like all sizes

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? bookmark

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? how to finish items.

First thing you ever crocheted? The first thing I ever crocheted was an afghan which I didn't finish. So, the first thing I ever finished was a scarf

Strangest place you have crocheted? Camping

Fave thing to make? so far....probably purses.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not yet but I want to start.

Fave yarn? I don't really have one yet.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? None

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Hmm, probably the purse I just finished for a freinds bday. Too many rows of cluster stitches.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not yet, thankfully, except maybe creating a pattern.

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? I think a pink vest - it was in the late 60's. Would be called retro today.

Strangest place you have crocheted? Not very exciting - my car.

Fave thing to make? I always like what I am working on, but anything that doesn't require a lot of finishing or sewing is great.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I just started collecting charity sites that I could contribute to. I didn't realize there were so many. I was excited to find out, because I find I like to crochet more than my friends and family can use.

Fave yarn? Hmmm .... I don't think I've met a yarn I didn't like.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I've used Boye all my life, but am beginning to have a preference for Bates in the very small hooks.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A baby afghan with 120 squares to sew together. I actually did it twice , several years apart, because I loved the pattern, but I hate that tedious sewing and weaving all the ends in.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? I learn something new with almost every pattern, but I can't think of anything that stumps me now. When I start a new pattern, I'm sure I'll be stumped again.

First thing you ever crocheted?Granny squares. I then made a ripple afghan. After that, I sewed the squares together.

Strangest place you have crocheted?In a movie theater.

Fave thing to make?Doilies. At present I'm enjoying making afghans.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?Have not done chairty stuff yet. But I have given away many, many things to friends who really wouldn't be able to afford it. I consider that a type of charity.

Fave yarn?Homespun

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?I use wooden hooks from 2 sellers on ebay. I used to like Bates better than Boye, but that was a couple of years ago. I recently picked up a Boye because I needed a "J" hook and I really liked it. I don't have a favorite size. I love the tiniest ones for thread and enjoy up to size "J" for yarn. I made something once with a "Q", but have not used in between "J" and "Q" yet.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?Before I knew how to make beaded doilies, I tried one from an Elizabeth Hiddleson pattern book. I had no idea what to do so I gave up. It's not really hard for me, I just do not like weaving in ends nor do I like making something with tons of motifs. I do not like doing the same thing over and over and over again.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?Designing

• 3 weeks later...

First thing you ever crocheted? A baby blanket

Strangest place you have crocheted? Emergency waiting room waiting for a friend to get her finger stitched up. I even taught my fiance to crochet while we were there. He's doing quite well at it. :)

Fave thing to make? Round things (like doilies, snowflakes, stars, even Darth Vader)

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I haven't had the pleasure yet, though I would like to one day.

Fave yarn?Homespun

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I'm fond of my first hook - a Boye I

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? For tedium - an afghan all in single crochet. ugh! Otherwise, the Darth Vader Hot Sauce cover.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Free form crochet

I decided that my very first swatch was a can cosy, so I stitched up the sides to make it one. It was horribly ugly but it worked.

I can truthfully say that I have crocheted while laying under my bed! (it's a loft)

Fave thing to make?

Anything that ends up looking like it's supposed to. :)

I will once I get better at crochet.

Fave yarn?

Wool-Ease

I've only ever used Boye for metal hooks. I tried using a wood hook and hated it.

That first practice swatch was a nightmare!

Trying not to accidentally increase or decrease stitches.

Archived