Get To Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 1

First thing: A granny square afghan with special yarn that my mom ordered. My stepdad put his big toes through it. :eek

Strange place: Not so strange, but new for me. Today, at the Master Gardening workshop while showing kids how to plant seeds.

Favorite thing: Mufflers/scarves. Fun and versatile.

Charity: Crochet blankets for preemies and newborns for Project Linus

Fav Yarn: Right now it's the soft yarn for the babies

Fav hook size: F or G, aluminum

Hardest: Trying to teach myself bead crochet. :think

Stumps: How the heck can you crochet every sitch with a bead and still see what the heck you're doing? :think

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing you ever crocheted?

after the practice thing that ended up becoming a kitty blankie, I made a belt.

Strangest place you have crocheted?

A christmas party.

Fave thing to make?

felted bags

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?

Im currently making kitty toys for the SF/SPCA.

Fave yarn?

anything by Great Adirondack

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?

anything from J to M

I like the susan bates better, the roundness of the boye ones makes it hard to not lose the yarn.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?

currently a shell stitch tank in Rowan handknit cotton, mostly because its on a G hook and I normally dont go below an I. Because of this project I actually hurt my left wrist and cant crochet very much at the moment. Yes, its driving me BATTY.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?

Why there are more modern, cool clothing patterns. At least in english anyway.

The first thing I made was a mile-a-minute afghan strip in bright yellow and white, once I got the one strip done..I tossed it aside and started and completed 4 mile-a-minute afghans for the girls I worked with for Christmas gifts. :hook

It's not the place that was strange, just the looks I got. In the hospital waiting for my son to come out of surgery, everyone in the waiting room kept looking. When I would catch a look from someone, I'd smile, and they would quickly look away :think . Then when the doctor came in to let us know everything went well, he had this stuned look on his face, as if to say " What ARE you doing?" :blink

Fave thing to make?

Afghans!

I would like to do alot more, but I have done hats for the homeless

Fave yarn?

Red Heart, all colors and Lion Brands Homespun

Aluminum, Bates..all sizes are good!

The Elvis afghan, only because it was all single crochet, took forever!

Tunisian

An enormous woollen scarf with about 300g of wool in it. All in single crochet. It was a really cold winter and the only scarves the stores had were beautiful but useless against hail and snow. I'd heard that crochet was quicker than knitting so I gave it a go.

Sitting on the pavement. It wasn't comfy, but at least my hands were busy ;)

Fave thing to make?

Felted bags. I've designed like 20 of them, but haven't the time or money to make more than a couple yet :(

No - I'm not sure what places there are to crochet for here in NZ. I was going to ask at the maternity hospital when I got some time.

Fave yarn?

8ply 100% wool for felting. Any type will do, but the John Q Designer range is the best we have here.

Fave hook?

6.5mm, because that means I'm felting! Although my 2nd hand 4.5mm hook that leanred to crochet with has a special place in my heart.

When I designed a hot water bottle cover - I'd never designed anything before and had never crocheted in the round (I'd read a lot on it though :think ) yet I tackled them both in a fitted hottie cover. It was also first thing I'd made that wasn't a scarf. I really jumped in the deep end with that one but it turned out fantastic!

Charts. Especially filet charts

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? It's been so long, I'm having a hard time remembering. Oh! a doily

Strangest place you have crocheted? a concert, but they turned out the lights and I was having a really hard time seeing.

Fave thing to make? Bathing suits

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I absolutely don't have time. Does my mother count? LOL.

Fave yarn? Above and beyond all others is thread. I really like all these novelty threads that are comming out, too.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? #10 steel crochet hook Bates

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Irish crochet lace.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? The lover's knot. I know if I would just sit down and read the instructions, I would be fine. I've never taken the time to do that, so I drool over it all the time wishing I knew how.

First thing you ever crocheted? large granny square (roughly 3x3 feet) in orange and white, back when I was 14. It gets used these days by my Mom to put on chair for pets (I'm fine with that too). Acrylic...it wears like iron.

Strangest place you have crocheted? Metrodome in Minneapolis during Twins Games. I discovered that I could finish a crocheted washcloth by the 7th inning (bottom of 8th if I bought beer).

Fave thing to make? Afghans. I'm trying to branch out, but it's hard.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Occasionally. Before all these organizations, I used to do small afghans for the local fire dept. to keep in their trucks. Now I just donate the yarn and let others do the charity stuff, as needed. Rarely, I make a 5 hour baby sweater for local hospital charity. Locally, there are many who make charity stuff in all kinds of needlework, so there is no apparant lack.

Fave yarn? I adore alpalca. However, I settle for Cascade. For afghans, I prefer Sayelle, but with everything going no-dye lot (and becoming less comfortable), I'm looking for alternatives. Red Heart used to be so much softer...alas.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye by a long shot. I think a G is my favorite, although after using an I, J, and K recently, I'm beginning to prefer the more open look (and faster complete) too. I'm also getting to love really large hooks (Q and Moez afghan).

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A doily. Just can't work with thread.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Smoothly changing colors. Mine have never improved much beyond a beginner level and I don't know what 'experts' do as the only other crocheters I ever meet are at the State Fair (and don't have the time then).

First thing you ever crocheted? afghan

Strangest place you have crocheted? waiting room at Dr

Fave thing to make? afghans

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Yes, preemie items

Fave yarn? RedHeart 4 ply worsted

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye H

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A nesting chicken

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? The boullion stitch

First thing you ever crocheted? afghan for family member

Strangest place you have crocheted? my daughter says the dentist office but I don't think that's strange. My husband says the hotel room when we went away for a romantic weekend. :hug I personally don't see that's strange either. haha I finished three hats!

Fave thing to make? afghans, squares, hats

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? yes -- chemo caps for Kaps4Karing, Native Americans through couple places, preemie afghans, cancer relay booth items, squares for Heartmade Blessings

Fave yarn? Patons Canadiana currently, also like Lion Brand Baby Softee a lot

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? BOYE, probably an I

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Probably the filet lighthouse in thread, not because the pattern was difficult but because of using the small hook and thin thread. I did do a large afghan in afghan stitch with cross-stitched flowers on it for my mom which took quite a while to complete, but it wasn't really hard.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Hairpin lace stumped me for a while, but I finally got it. I've had some trouble with worked in colors but I'm not totally stumped. I'm just not as pleased with the result as I want to be. If you want to go outside crochet, quilting and knitting have stumped me every time I've tried 'em. I'm sure there are some crochet things which will stump me when I try them. I haven't tried any clothing so maybe that will stump me. :-) What really stumps me is not having enough hours in the day to crochet!

First thing you ever crocheted? A Granny Square

Strangest place you have crocheted? Probably at the pool

Fave thing to make? bags

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Only a couple of projects that were close to home charities

Fave yarn? 1st Fav- Microfiber but too expensive 2nd choice-Caron Simply Soft Brights 3rd choice- Cotton

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Bates-- fav size G or H -not small & not large

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Afghans..not hard but takes so long & I am so impatient!

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Yes a few things. One is writing patterns. But I will learn!

What fun!

First thing you ever crocheted? long, long, long chains (go on, yuk it up *hehe* I didn't know how to do anything but chain, so chain I did!) First real project was many many years later, in college, a granny square afghan for my mom. I've been out of college for over 20 years and she still has that afghan. :manyheart my mom.

Strangest place you have crocheted? In the labor room, much to the amusement of the nurses and my doctor ... my son was 6 weeks early and his blanket wasn't done when my water broke :eek It was all done by the time he was born, though:yay

Fave thing to make? Afghans. Love 'em.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Afghans for battered women shelter.

Fave yarn? Currently Lion Brand Homespun and Caron's SS Brites. Wish I could afford the really good stuff but for the money, these are great yarns.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye, no preference on size ... whatever works for what I'm making.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? My son's baby blanket *hehe* Hey, you try remembering stitch counts between labor pains! But if you mean technically hard -- my first doily.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? I'm stubborn; if it stumps me I just keep trying and bugging people who DO know how until I figure it out. I guess what stumps me is why more people don't crochet!

First thing you ever crocheted? I honestly don't remember. It's been that long.

Strangest place you have crocheted? Nowhere really odd. Now, if you ask me the oddest place I've ever nursed, I could get weird.:lol

Fave thing to make? Baby clothes. I lack the attention span for anything much larger.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? No. If I did, it would be hats or something. I'm still thinking about sending some hats to the hospital where I had my girls.

Fave yarn? Simply Soft. Two bucks a skein, worsted weight, soft as all get-out...what's not to love?

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Since I'm usually making baby stuff, I tend to use a G hook; I prefer that or an H. I'm especially fond of the Susan Bates Silvalume hooks, since they seem to grab the yarn the best.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I don't crochet difficult things. Or, I should say, I don't finish them. ;) Probably the hardest thing lately was the cell phone cozy I made my hubby for his birthday. It was a very simple pattern, but to get it to look the way I wanted, I had to use an F hook...with worsted-weight yarn. It was literally a pain. Most complicated was the crocheted vulva. They don't exactly have patterns for those floating around...

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Treble crochet. I find that a very difficult stitch, and so I avoid patterns that incorporate it.

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? A water bottle holder

Strangest place you have crocheted? In the sound booth at church (I run sound, some weeks. It gets boring up there!)

Fave thing to make? I love to make baby blankets.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I make baby blankets for our local Pregnancy Resource Center, where I also work as a peer counselor.

Fave yarn? For blankets, it's Caron worsted weight, the 1 pounders, for washclothes, any kind of worsted weight cotton.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I don't have a fave size yet, but I prefer Bates to boye.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? So far, this baby blanket, but I'm getting it!

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? I'm still stumbling with reading those instructions!

edited 2-22-2005 to clarify post title

:)

I believe it was a granny square afghan that was in the book I learned to crochet from.

I guess it not too strange...sitting in bed.

Fav thing to make?

Afghans

No

Fave yarn?

I like Red Heart 4 ply worsted.

Boye

Doily that the pattern wasn't written out it was a diagram in a Magic Crochet magazine. But it was pretty easy once I got the hang of it!

Probably but I can't think of anything off-hand!:think

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? A bag with a long handle that I made in 5th grade- still have it:hook

Strangest place you have crocheted? My kid's gymnastics class waiting area

Fave thing to make? Sweaters, blankets, scarves

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Looking to do more charity stuff.

Fave yarn? Can't begin to answer this.... Mission Falls, Debbie Bliss, Misti Alpaca, Lang, LB Wool Ease

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Bates size M- feels SOOOO good in my hand, also like the Q size- makes blankets just pop off in no time:yay

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Sweater

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Some of the instructions are clear as mud...:think

Justine

I don't remember exactly... probably a granny square. My grandmother, who taught me, makes granny squares nearly exclusively.

Strangest place you have crocheted? At a hockey game. During the intermission only, though!!

Fave thing to make? Hard question! Lately it's been doilies, but I also enjoy blankets where I can just crochet and not think.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I make baby hats for the local hospital.

Fave yarn? I haven't worked with too much speciality stuff, but Homespun is nice.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? As long as it's a Bates, I'm happy. ^_^

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A doily. The first one felt the hardest. ;)

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Those U-shaped pieces of metal that you use with thread... I don't get it.

A granny square using the wrong hook size

The bathtub!!

Fave thing to make?

Hats and hairbows (thanks Chelle!)

Not with crochet, but I sew baby blankets for Project Linus

Fave yarn?

Lion's Brand Chenille

Size N Bates for afghans

A sweater for me....still working on it...have the back done

Thread crochet....I tried making a Doily and my fingers and eyes hurt so bad...so I frogged it and made it in yarn

A YARN DOILY

NOWHERE STRANGE AS YET

Fave thing to make?

LADIES AND BABIES CLOTHING

NO

Fave yarn?

MERCERISED

A BIG HOOK

OHHH FAR TO MANY TO MENTION LOL

GAUGE/TENSION AND EVEN STITCHES

I'm pretty sure it was something square...a blanket or a scarf...or maybe just a square.

Strangest place you have crocheted? At Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia

Fave thing to make? Depends on the day.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not so far, but I am planning some xmas pressies for the poor puppies at the shelter.

Fave yarn? Whatever was cheapest and is the prettiest color.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? 5.5 mm...I think that's a size 9...no brand

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Gosh, I dunno. I guess afghans, just cuz I never bother finishing them.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? All the different hook sizes....all of mine are in mm (5.5, 6, etc), but the patterns say things like size 9 or size k or something...then I gotta go look up what that means for my hooks

First thing I crocheted was a pillow that actually fit the seat of a wooden rocking chair. I had no clue about increasing and decreasing or even counting. But it formed to my butt really good. :haha

The Strangest place I crocheted was on the toilet:blush . I was trying to finish a doily before we had company coming over and the doily was a gift but I couldn't put it down even when I had to answer the call of nature. That was really embarrassing to share though.:blush

Fave things to make: doilies and bookmarks

I haven't done any charity stuff here in Alberta Canada yet but I have made lapghans for the residents in a nursing home I used to work for years ago...back in the 1990s

Red Heart

Boye

Hardest thing I crochet: I have tried to make a pineapple table cloth on the round and I cannot seem to complete it.

Hairpin lace really stumps me but in all due respect to my Great-Aunt Frances, I would like to make at least 1 hairpin lace afghan.

Melannie:hook

Answer these questions:

A scarf. And it turned out horribly stiff and growing at the sides LOL also I didn't know to go through both loops till a few weeks into my crocheting journey.

library & doctors office

Fave thing to make?

Slippers. They are so quick and easy. The 25 minute slipper pattern is my favourite.

I did make a bunch of preemie hats for the local hospital but I quit because I didnt have the time and gave away 3 garbage bags full of yarn to someone doing a similar thing.

Fave yarn?

It was Sugar n Cream crafter's cotton, which was nice and chunky and I used it to make bath mats. But alas, it got discontinued.

Bates except for crystallites (phooey!) size 10mm

a doily...never again!

why there aren't better magazines with more fashionable clothing

Guest Crafterlady46

First thing you ever crocheted? A forget-me-not doily. I still have it.

Strangest place you have crocheted? On the water taxi when I go to visit my Dad. He lives on an island off Casco bay. The only way to get there is by boat.

Fave thing to make? I would have to say poinsettia doilies. They sell the best and are easy to make. The beaded ones are nice.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I give to the salvation army and red cross. Most of the doilies I make are on ebay and part of the profit goes to one of the charities I have mentioned.

Fave yarn? Southmaid and aunt lydias crochet cotton.

Fave hook? Size? Boyles or Bates? I use milward steel hooks when I can.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? That darn swan doily.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Yes...Yarn crochet stumps me. I have no clue how to make an afghan or anything else.

First thing you ever crocheted? A small doily

Strangest place you have crocheted? Can't remember really

Fave thing to make? Doilies using old (prior 1920) patter books

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Have never; but would be nice to do.

Fave yarn? I use more thread that yarn. I really like to Coats & Clarks "Big Ball"

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Bates, the smaller hooks

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A filet pattern of the Lord's Last Supper

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? No, after some 40 years, I guess I've seen it all....

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? Probly a scarf

Strangest place you have crocheted? Can't think of anyplace "strange" perse.....did some sitting outside at our garage sale a couple of weeks ago though :)

Fave thing to make? Since I'm just starting out (again) it's all my favorite LOL....

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I am doing some doggie sweaters right now for Small Paws

Fave yarn? again, I like it all right now lol, but I'm working with some kind called Illusion (can't recall what brand) in Lavender and I'm working up the Butterfly Shawl pattern I found here.....

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? No particular favorite here either altho, if I'm remembering correctly, most of mine are Bates...all different sizes...

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? To date that would be the dress I made my little niece Allison who is now almost 8 months old

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not yet, knock on wood LOL

edited 2-22-2005 to clarify post title

Shawne

A blue afgan in double crochet for my boyfriends bed

Rockcats Baseball game

Fave thing to make?

anything that gives me a chalange

Yes Chemo Caps for Cuze We Care

Fave yarn?

any

Clover Bamboo hooks

Trying to make a wedding dress

Irish Crochet

A beanie for the kid whose parents own the cafe where I spend ost of my time.

I've thought about doing it in the bathroom..

Fave thing to make?

Hats!

I'm thinking on starting to do leprosy bandages for LDS Humanitarian Project.

Fave yarn?

Red Heart. <3 Anything by Red Heart. <333

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? My first hook. A Bates size H. <3

Getting started on this pair of fingerless gloves is proving pretty challenging.

How to design an original pattern without actually doing the stitches first.

Archived