Get To Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 1

First thing you ever crocheted?

It's been so long, I'm thinking probably a shawl or blanket for my Barbie doll.

Strangest place you have crocheted?

In the car? In the laundromat? I don't know, what's your definition of strange?

Fave thing to make?

Bags and purses.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?

I've done hats and scarves.

Fave yarn?

I love nylon cord and also mohair.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?

I think it's Boye, not sure and I don't one with me. The more rounded one.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?

A Denver Bronco logo afghan I designed for my mom.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?

No. Except I don't understand why people don't seem to think it's as hip and cool as knitting.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answer these questions:

A blanket. It started as a baby blanket but ended up as one that would fit a double bed. It is pink green yellow purple and blue verigated. baby colors. My husband loved it so much it still sits on the couch in the living roon. ( by the way we don't have children. This is all his. )

hard to pick... hmmm well last year during all the hurricanes I sat in the dark listening as the winds tore apart my house and neighborhood crocheting(we got hit by 3) that why we moved to Rochester NY. Other place was Disney world. Worked there for 6 years used to people watch at the parks and crochet. At the hospital in the preop room waiting to go in for foot reconstruction surgery. The nurse was not happy called my hubby in to take it from me. OMG world war 3. He told he he would only when it was time for me to go. ( Trained well)

Fave thing to make?

Currently wearables, ponchoes shawls etc

Done a few animal blankets and chemo hats

Fave yarn?

Patons Bohemian I am in love with it. sooooo soft. I made the mistake of showing my sisters in law and now I have standing orders for mittens, hats scarfs sweaters all for them. My husband got into the act and added his own list.

I have a j hook made by Greydog off ebay. Gift from loving hubby. Next is boye size h j k

First sweater I made was a multi color interweaved pattern that i had to change colors every 5 or 6 stiches.... never again. I made it for my hubby's step mom. She still wears it.

reverse single crochet. I have tried so many times.

First thing you ever crocheted? Chain Bracelets when I was 8 years old.

Strangest place you have crocheted?walking down the street

Fave thing to make?hats and baby items

Do you do charity stuff?yes If so, what?hats for the homeless, baby afghans and baby items

Fave yarn?Worsted Weight (Red Heart, Bernat)

Fave hook? Clover, w/the ergonamic handle Size?G/7/4.5mmBoye or Bates?Bates

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I have yet to crochet a sweater, so i know that will be hard.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?reverse single crochet!!!

First thing you ever crocheted? Square

Strangest place you have crocheted? bathroom with my bag and book on the over the door hanger shelf!!!

Fave thing to make? right now doilies and purses

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? not yet in India but I am thinking about it as I have a SOS childrens village right next door and thought I would make some gifts for the kids

Fave yarn? whatever I can lay my hands here in India but while in the US I like Berella 4(sp?)

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye H

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I don't do hardest things lol but if you ask what I found hard to decipher , then the diagonal start square cause when I first came across the instructions way back in 1997 there were no pictures and I didn't quite understand how to turn and place it perpendicular on the previous unit !!!!

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Still chicken to try the solomon knot!!

:hook

Vims

Ginourmous Granny square afghan!! Huuuuuge!

Oh when I was in college I would bring my crochet out on my long breaks between classes...its pretty hard to have people think you are wierd in college, since a lot of people are a little strange, but man I got some funny looks lol

Fave thing to make?

It depends and changes...I like making purses right now...in the winter I like making afghans for presents. I am really tring to branch out and get creative and stay away from the old standby's for a while!

N/A.....bad chicki!! Need to do some charity stuff

Fave yarn?

Hard to say, depends on what I am working on.

I love caron Simply Soft for inexpensive yarn...

Like cotton and wool best probably....like to use natural fibers and a wooden hook when I get the chance. I always feel like my stuff comes out better when everything is all natural :P

Bates all the way!! I literally cant use a boyle. I always loose my stiches!

Love an H hooks for most things, Love Q-hooks for afghans....yay for big stuff

Hmmmm....I dont know. Usually stuff that I make without a pattern since I frog it so much, but them again those are usually pretty fun at the same time.

Made this kitty toy about a month ago, it was supposed to be super easy and it took me like 3 hours and gave me a migrane!

Gonna hafta agree w/ many people here that reverse anything is pretty yucky.

Trying to crochet clothing is pretty hard. I am just learning, and it seems so hard to me for some reason!

~Chicki

First thing you ever crocheted? A 'Join as you go' granny square afghan.

Strangest place you have crocheted? Never anywhere strange; I always crochet at home, subway, or laundromat.

Fave thing to make? Every winter I make myself a fun new scarf. Bold colours, maybe a funky yarn or I just try to do something a little different with it. The last one I made was red and white stripes (like a candy cane) and instead of using fringe I sewed on mini pom poms. I made it really long and kind of narrow as well. I got lots of compliments when I was wearing it. This year I made my first pair of mittens and I think that will be my new favourite thing to make along side my annual scarf.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I like doing stuff for the maternity wards at hospitals like the baby caps and stuff.

Fave yarn? I love the Bernat line. They have some really cool yarns. I just made my mittens and UBW hat with Bernat's Solo in 'Tomato'. This is a really nice yarn.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I like aluminum hooks though I do have some plastic ones. And I like to use the larger range like H - K.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Anything with thread. This is something that I try and try and I just haven't been able to grasp it yet.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? see above

First thing you ever crocheted? a hat

Strangest place you have crocheted? during a bad movie

Fave thing to make? sweaters and purses

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?baby items

Fave yarn? ... there are way too many I like

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? ... aluminum?

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? That I actually finished?? a sweater that you had to join peices together. ugh

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? doilys

I believe it was a granny square afghan. There was one in the house that my mother had made at some point and I wanted to learn how to crochet so I could make one too.

Strangest place you ever crocheted?

On an airplane...not too strange really but because of security reasons, I could only bring a plastic hook, no metal. I kept thinking, what is more dangerous? A metal crochet hook or a bic pen??

Favorite thing to make?

Baby blankets and afghans. Also, when my daughter was little, I really enjoyed making those "bead socks"--where you crochet around the top of a regular bobby sock and add colored tri-bead. You can get really creative with color!

Charity stuff?

I like to make blankets for the local animal shelter out of all that leftover yarn.

Favorite yarn?

It's hard to choose. So many choices!

Favorite hook?

I seem to have a lot of boyle hooks. Those Susan Bates crystalites are pretty spiffy though.

Anything with armholes. Those clothing patterns can get kinda confusing.

Crochet on the double?? I think someone needs to show me how.

First thing you ever crocheted? a baby blanket

Strangest place you have crocheted? Labor & Delivery :P

Fave thing to make? dishcloths and bookmarks

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? animal snuggies and toys

Fave yarn? RH super saver, Peaches & Cream, anything fuzzy! :D

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Steel: Bates sz. 5; Aluminum: Craft Designs for You Gemstone sz. J (midnight jewels, style A)

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? That would have to be the very first snowflake I made, shortly after learning to crochet~~I couldn't figure out how to work "in the ring" :lol

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Irish crochet techniques. I can pretty much figure everything else out (now, at least...when I started, working "in the ring" stumped me in patterns.)

Answer these questions:

a baby blanket, no thought to hook size or yarn thickness either.

Bathroom

Fave thing to make?

things for my neices

I keep planning to give away the stuff I make, but fall in love with it by the end.

Fave yarn?

Anything really good frm the op shop

Aero, 6mm, closely followed my my Disc 3, 3.5 and 4mm

Whatever it was I made following a pattern for the first time.

Yep. Transferring US yarns to something comparable in Australia :yay

Hello, I'm new to this site and to crochetting (about 2 weeks now):

First thing you ever crocheted? 2 sample squares of different stitches then a scarf (all on the same day).

Strangest place you have crocheted? On a cruise ship (where I learned from my friend, lol).

Fave thing to make? Apparently scarves since I've now made 6 in two weeks, although I have also made a cell phone pouch which I just winged because I can't read patterns yet. :D

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I'm just finishing a scarf which I intend to send to my friend for a craft sale she has each year...the proceeds go to charity. I intend to make more for that same sale.

Fave yarn? Chenille...I can't wear wool so I haven't even tried it, but so far chenille is my favorite.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Apparently J since that's what I use most often.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Haven't tried anything hard, so I guess the cell phone pouch would be the hardest since it involved joining and figuring out the antannae hole, etc.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Everything, lol. Seriously, I am stumped about introducing new yarn and reading patterns. I know what the abbreviations mean, etc. but it all looks like Greek and I have to really concentrate.

First thing you ever crocheted? A doily

Strangest place you have crocheted? At my oldest sons Band Concert

Fave thing to make? clothing

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? yes, premie hats, and slippers for soldiers.

Fave yarn? I like all of it :)

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? susan bates, size J

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A Tablecloth, couldn't get the pattern right had to rip it rip it but finally got it right.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? mostly Gauge

A teacup and an attached saucer. I made up the design as I went, just to get an idea of how things work. You know: increasing, decreasing, shaping, and all that. Once it was done I ripped it all apart for the next experiment.

On the ferry.

Fave thing to make?

I'm looking forward to making hats, scarves, slippers, mittens, etc. So far I'm still practicing basics, though. At the moment I'm trying to master the granny square.

Do you do charity stuff?

I'll do some once I learn to crochet better. I'm still such a beginner.

Fave yarn?

Anything that doesn't cause me grief when I use it.

It's a 4.5 gold-coloured thing. Boye? Bates? No idea about that.

Granny squares. I think I'm almost there; with any luck my first one will be done tomorrow.

Reading and following patterns is a challenge. I'd love to see a whole lot of tutorials on this topic.

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? A "belt" that twisted so many times it was unwearable!

Strangest place you have crocheted? Back of a cyclo while visiting Vietnam.

Fave thing to make? Scarves - it's usually how I practice new stitches or give myself something to get motivated on when I'm stuck on a more complicated pattern.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not much, I always intend to do so, but the most I've done is a couple of squares - and I don't actually think I sent them off.

Fave yarn? Blue Sky Alpaca - but can't afford it much.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? A "G" bamboo hook.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? The salon capelet from last years Interweave Knits Crochet - it seems like no matter how much I count every line comes out with the wrong number of stitches & I have to frog.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Well, I'm interested to try thread crochet - but get a little intimidated by all the charts. probably will get over that eventually!

just a long chain, probably for a toy or decoration for my mom.

i dunno, maybe in the car at some random parking lot

Fave thing to make?

i like blankets/afghans even though they take up the most time

not yet...although most stuff i make is given away anyway (just to friends/family)

Fave yarn?

not a yarn snob...any beautiful colors that catch my eye

just good ol fashioned aluminum hooks (boye)...size...um medium sizes are ok

ha ha...probably every other project that i start and cant figure out!

im still in the learning phase so i admire people who know enough to come up with their own designs...free form...stuff like that.

A purse, the only one I've made to date although it was what got me "hooked".

Hmmmm....I would say it is a tie between McDonald's and the waiting room at my doctor's office.

Fave thing to make?

Scarves because I can generally start and finish it in a day or two.

Not yet, although I do want to.

Fave yarn?

Simply Soft by Caron. It's cheap, lots of colors to choose from, and truly is soft and pretty easy to work with.

My favorite hook is my P hook. Again it is mainly because I can make things so quick with it, other than that I have hated all the plastic hooks I have tried.

Do we have to have finished it? If so I would say a Poncho I made for a lady at work that had a box pattern in it. If it is an unfinished product I would go with a scarf made out of Incredible ribbon from Lion. I will never get the hang of that slick material!!!

Where to begin....How Granny squares can be considered easy when I can't even figure out a basic one stumps me. Rounds also totally stump me. I just can't seem to make them work.

A 'practice patch' I called it. Just to practice!

Nowhere strange - I just started.

Fave thing to make?

I already know as challenging as it will be I will love afghans - that is why I got into it.

No, just started, have not done anything yet!

Fave yarn?

I have to say so far of the yard I used, just the red heart worsted weight works for me!

Don't have one yet. But I use plastic - I can tell you that!

I think that will end up being clothes when I get that far!

Right now, everything!

First thing you ever crochet?

I started trying to do a tablecloth out of yarn! Needless to say I frogged it & did something else!:eek

Strangest place you have ever crochet?

I don't remember crocheting any place strange:think

Fave thing to do?

afghans & dolls, although right now I seem to be into ponchos!:manyheart

Do you do charity work? If so what?

I've joined a TN group & have just started doing some charity items for the hospitals in TN:clap

Fave yarn?

I guess my favorite is Caron simply soft:cheer

Fave hook? Boyles or Bates?

mine is H Bates

Hardest thing you've ever crochet?

I guess that would an afghan I did once that had lots of fancy lace in-between the squares:(

First thing you ever crocheted? i really can't recall..oh, wait...a mile long chain! which eventually turned into a small blanket

Strangest place you have crocheted? during class

Fave thing to make? anything fast!

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? i usually make squares for warm up america and join them at Michael's

Fave yarn? anything soft and fuzzy

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? bamboo. sz J or K

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? a baby bib...the directions SUCKED

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? sometimes a crappily written pattern

Answer these questions:

A brown, yellow and white V stitch afghan

I crochet everywhere...can't think of a strange place

Fave thing to make?

creating new afghans

no

Fave yarn?

all colors of 4 ply Red Heart or similar yarn

Susan Bates

can't think of anything right now

yes...there a man called...for the life of me I can't remember his name right now...hahahahaha I'd go get the book but I'm at work right now.... he has books out on a different way to crochet..its pretty cool looking too...being left handed and reversing every thing he does is a little challenging for me.

A single chain about 4 feet long...lol. But seriously, a floppy looking coaster.

A Casino charter Bus. The host saw me crocheting a pot holder and teased me about taking it to give to the Bingo winner. :lol

Fave thing to make?

Scarves

Not yet. This year I plan to; mostly baby things - as I was given a great deal of baby soft yarn

Fave yarn?

Lion Brand

Aluminum or Steel, size G

A doily. I cannot corchet a doily to save my hide

Circular patterns such as doilies or ornaments

First thing you ever crocheted? A Chain when I was 11..it was long enough to wrap around my bedroom twice! lol First actual thing I crocheted was a baby blanket for my 2nd daughter(when she was still inside).

Strangest place you ever crocheted? Just at home.. but it's not strange lol.

Fave thing to crochet? Hats, scarves.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, What? I'm finishing up Heart Felt Angels(preemie hats, booties, blankets), and I'm doing Squares for Survivors now.

Fave Yarn? Haven't used anything but acrylic. My Fave for the baby things is Caron Simply Soft.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Alum. is all I've used. H is my fave. I only have Boye hooks.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Haven't really come across anything hard.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? umm...not yet! Hopefully, not ever.

Natalie

a yellow pot-holder i'm sure went through several starts.

i used to be an editor at my college newspaper, and in the downtime between editing reporters' stories, i'd crochet at my desk. or just ball my yarn. for a long time i had a giant ball of lavender yarn in my bottom desk drawer. it might still be there. :lol

Fave thing to make?

scarves. i talk a lot about scarves here, don't i? they're not complicated, though i've recently forayed into the backstitch and half double crochet.

i haven't yet, though joining here has given me so many ideas of places to which to donate! i am definitely putting some charity projects on my list.

Fave yarn?

oh, i don't know. if i'm buying inexpensive yarn, definitely lion brand, and then usually lion brand wool ease. but i am addicted to omaha's string of purls, where i get all kinds of wools. most recently i am addicted to a hot pink superwash wool to be made into a cowl scarf with button.

aluminum, size h, though for probably my first three years of crocheting i had only a k hook. so i have a soft spot for the k.

my right hand is crippled, so the double crochet was a bit of a challenge for me at first. but i've never made anything terribly complicated thus far.

certainly reading patterns. certainly seeing the many rad things the villagers make here, wondering how on earth they did it.

A covered Coat Hanger in 1974

under the covers of my bed as a college student (so I wouldnt wake up my roommate in the dorm!)

Fave thing to make?

Afghans

YES! Baby stuff, hats and Squares

Fave yarn?

Do I have to chose?? Lion brand and anything By Trendsetter seem to be my favorites

Boye and Brittany - size I

My first original designs ever published - Dish cloths

Not really - My grandmother was a good teacher, and not only with stitches. She taught me how to tackle something confusing and work it out. Even the most complex of vintage patterns are not an issue!

An afghan when I was pregnant with my first baby. I was on bedrest, and I had tried chrochet many years before and couldn't get the hang of it; this time, I settled right in and off I went.

Can't think of any.

Fave thing to make?

Lapghans and baby items

Used to do lapghans for Project Linus

Fave yarn?

Coats & Clark Super Saver, always reliable; and I love working with the new chenilles. The eyelash stuff scares the heck out of me!

Boye

An afghan from a quilt pattern, many, many bobbins to be used.

I don't like crocheting from graphs.

Archived