Get To Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 1

First thing you ever crocheted?

Half double stitch afghan with ombre yarn.

Strangest place you have crocheted?

In a local club where my niece was having her bridal party

Fave thing to make?

Kids purses.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?

Angels for Hope--Angels, Butterflies and Smileys.

Fave yarn?

Simply Soft

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?

Boye

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?

Butterfly Doily that was done in pieces

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?

Not really.

Hope

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answer these questions:

A hat and scarf out of a McCall's pattern magazine article when I was 16.

I don't think I've done that anywhere particularly strange, other than in the car and also sitting out under a tree in very hot weather, but I don't think those two experiences qualify.

Fave thing to make?

Women's wearables, garments and accessories.

Yes, write patterns to raise money for charity, also make doggy blankets for shelters.

Fave yarn?

I really like very soft cotton and cotton blend yarns.

I'm a Bates girl; seems to be whatever one starts with when learning. Fave sizes are G and K. Also have recently starting using Clover Soft Touch hooks and like them a lot.

A multicolored accessory for a major yarn company.

Not really. Some techniques are easier than others, but I seem to be able to handle most everything.

Fun questions, thanks for posting them! :)

First thing I ever crocheted:

A granny square

Strangest place I ever crocheted:

at work

Fave thing to make:

I love them all!

Do you do charity work:

I haven't yet, but plan on using up some of my stash and make hats and scarfs to take to my local church run thrift store.

Fave yarn:

Do I have to pick just one? lol

Fave hook size? Boye or Bates?

Don't have a particular favorite size. But I like bates best.

Hardest thing ever crocheted:

Probably a baby afghan that had an intricate edge.

Is there anything about crochet that completly stumps you:

So far I seem to handle everything I try without too much trouble.

A very pathetic scarf for my HS boyfriend

Sitting on the railing that surrounded the catwalk on Jordan Peak Lookout in the Sequoia National Forest - I used to "man" the lookout

Fave thing to make?

Literally anything I can crochet!

I am passionate about Chemo Caps. I especially enjoy making them for kids.

Fave yarn?

Kettle-dyed, hand spun, Uraguayan Merino Wool - soooooo soft!

No favorite size but I prefer my Boye hooks. I HATE the Crystallites!

Tunisian (afghan stitch) baby sweater

Not yet but I've never done anything really tough. Some patterns seem to be pretty poorly written, though... or is it just me?:think

A really long chain that my mother coiled and sewed into a chair pad for me.

Either at the airport or on the plane.

Fave thing to make?

Doilies and edgings.

I have a stack of blankets here for the animal shelter -- but they changed their hours again. I am trying to figure out when to get down there.

Fave yarn?

I am a thread fan -- but right now, I have some Paton's Brilliant and I adore it.

I like metal hooks best. I always seem to be reaching for my trusty Boye 8.

A cardigan with crossed dc's and puffs. I did that stupid thing three times -- and all three times, it looked as if my cats had been crocheting. I finally frogged the entire thing and have still not used that yarn. I tried to throw the pattern away -- but then regained my senses and stashed it somewhere in the Yarn Cave (aka spare room). I am convinced that the pattern was dreamed up by some evil prankster.

How anyone can get picots to lie right without blocking first. My mother can, and even though she has shown me ten thousand times -- I can never get it.

Besides the inevitable miles of chain? Tube skirt for a Barbie in worsted weight yarn.

A Christmas party. I was finishing up a shawl that I was taking to another Christmas party that day.

Fave thing to make?

Love love love doilies. Do a fair number of afghans and shawls though.

I just started. Am working on a leprosy bandage. It's a great mindless project, but it gets dull after a while.

Fave yarn?

Homespun is yummy! I don't have the problems with it that others seem to have sometimes ...

No particular size, but I love Boye. Somehow the Bates sizes seem off to me.

Lord's Prayer in filet crochet. More so because it was huge than difficult though.

The new waffle weave thing did until a couple of days ago. I can usually figure stuff out if I poke at it long enough.

Big granny square afghan made of one big square

Hmm, so far I think it would be on an airplane

Fave thing to make?

Ponchos

Not yet, but I plan to after the Christmas rush!

Fave yarn?

TLC's Amore

I have only used aluminum and plastic (hoping to get some wooden ones for Christmas) but I love the size K hook from Boye.

Hardest or most time consuming? LOL

Most time consuming is definately the Cat Afghan I made for my best friend

Hardest would probably be the Old Glory Afghan I'm making right now. I'm not a fan of holding yarn while stitching. It's so easy for everything to get tangled!

Anything with sleeves. The first sweater I made was a mess so I'm afraid to try something "fitted" again!

• 2 weeks later...

double sized granny square bedspread

everywhere

Fave thing to make?

afghans

have done angels for hope before i moved from UK

Fave yarn? love bernat and red heart but can't get it here

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? i have 1 hook which I bought here in france a steel one 6mm, big hooks, we don't get boye or bates here

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A christening gown with an 8 row lace pattern

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? why UK patterns are so rarely published

edited 2-22-2005 to clarify post title

First thing you ever crocheted? an afghan

Strangest place you have crocheted? usually only crochet at home

Fave thing to make? baby things

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? make blankets for project linus

Fave yarn? caron simply soft, it's cheap and it's so soft

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? metal, G or H

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I am currently working on a tablecloth for my grandparents' 50th anniversary in size 10 cotton. I can only finish one or two rounds before my hands and eyes both start cramping.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? crocheting with beads, can NOT do it.

Jen

First thing you ever crocheted? Mile a Minute queen blanket

Strangest place you have crocheted? Church

Fave thing to make? Blankets, bookmarks, hats, purses..I just love doing it!

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Caps for our local homeless

Fave yarn? LionBrand Homespun

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye, aluminum, sizeS, H, I, K, N

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? In general, thread is hard (but oh, so many things to make...) beacuse I am OLD!

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Just where to find a pretty (cotton) red for Christmas. I've been to Jo Anns, Hobby Lobby (only found mercerized there....no one can tell me if it's heat resistant or not!), Wal Mart,ect.

Shelly

A scarf for a stuffed animal...

Baseball game, airplane (with plastic hooks)

Fave thing to make?

Anything new...

Have done prayer shawls...

Fave yarn?

Don't really have a favorite...although I guess currently I'm more partial to Lion Brand Homespun...

Boye, Size, 7 steel, G aluminum

There was one edging pattern, vintage from like 100 years ago that I simply could not get the hang of...it was a solomon or lover's note, which I can do, but the instructions were a bit sparse for this edging and nothing I did made it look like the picture...I gave up. I usually don't give up on crocheting...most of the time, I do get the gist of what's being asked...most of it pretty's easy for me...but this edging...not so much. Time consuming pattern though was a "simple" Aran Afghan...it was simple, but incredibly time consuming...took me over a month to do, when I thought it would take me a week...

Not yet, except some of the vintage patterns from 100 years ago because the instructions can be sparse, and I understand why...they assume you know what you're doing and at that time, most women did...

A chain to connect my kid brother's mittens so that he wouldn't lose them. (He was about 3 years old at the time. )

At an engineering confrance. Sitting in the back of the lecture pit with my cup of tea and my thread crochet project.

Fave thing to make?

This changes about once a month. Right now, I'm loving crocheting cables. I'm making my husband a fisherman sweater, and really enjoying the project.

I hadn't done anything in years. I know I should. And I want to. But, every time I read about a chairty that I would love to do work for, I find out that they can't have any pet hair in the projects. And, there is no way something is leaving my house without cat hair. I should spend more time on the "crochet for chairty" thread. Maybe some of the stuff there would allow pet hair.

Fave yarn?

I tend to like the fingering weight and sport weight yarns. I have some sport weight alpaca my mother bought me that I can't wait to use. But, so far, I've only used acrylic. I can't afford the other stuff.

I don't have a favorite size. Depends on the yarn and the pattern. I have two favorite types of hooks. The Clover Soft Touches and the Addie hooks (the metal ones with the plastic handles). I have always wanted to try wooden hooks, though...

That linnen purse for my mom. The linnen kept spliting on me. The pattern was simple, but the yarn was the biggest pain in the ***.

Makeing gague. I work to tightly. I have never made gague. By the time i get the hook large enough, there are giant holes in the project and it just looks bad. So I always have to modify my projects. Or use the next size up in yarn.

• 4 weeks later...

At the age of 8 (?) years I crocheted parts of a stuffed lion for school. My mom had to complete it. I didn't like needlework at all at that age.

Well that's not really a strange place but the strangest I can remember was at the backseat of a car driving.

Fave thing to make?

The answer to this question changes approximately every five minutes.

I've done no charity stuff yet.

Fave yarn?

At the moment: Fumo by Lana Grossa.

Clover hooks. Favorite Size: the bigger the better.

A long vest with a variety of stitches, I gave it up after I frogged it for about 10 times. It's still waiting for my skills to improve.

German crochet magazines!

Answer these questions:

a ball for a baby (done in wedges of different colors)

(can I say this???) Toilet...:blush

Fave thing to make?

clothes for my own baby, doilies, anything thread

yes! baby things, scarves, hats, afghans, anything really

Fave yarn?

Caron Bliss, Caron Simply Soft

Size H and 7, Both I guess

Thread tablecloth (currently a WIP)

Reverse sc

I think it was a scarf. So many years ago I don't remember

I crocheted a granny square blanket lying flat on my back recuperating from back surgery

Fave thing to make?

Scarves and sweaters

Yes, I'm making scarves for the Dulan Project

Fave yarn?

Merino wool or really nice cotton

J hook is my fav...I don't care about the brand. I know the differences but it doesn't have any impact on my crocheting

A vest with really bad directions

Not yet

:

A baby blanket- I did this without a pattern just following the method my mum showed me- it was really just a big granny square.

Haven't really crocheted anywhere strange- although I must admit I have wondered if I could manage to keep my work and yarn dry if I crocheted in the bath :lol

Fave thing to make?

This changes all the time- made a shawl last night using 2 strands of wool and a q hook- really enjoyed that so will be making more.

I've been looking for Uk charities to crochet for but so far have only been able to find a charity that wants baby blankets- am planning on making a few for them in the new year.

Fave yarn?

Again this changes all the time- at the moment I love king cole superwash merino wool- so soft :manyheart

The range of hooks is so limited here in the UK- you only get 2 brands in the shops- either pony or aero- and they only carry them up to 6mm. The bigger hooks I have are innox hooks- I like the size but using my q hook last night I found with it being plastic my hands ending up getting sweaty and I had to keep wiping the hook.

This depends on the stage of learning to crochet I was at- at first I found making a sweater quite hard because it was the first real pattern that I followed (it didnt help that it was written for a stripy sweater and I was doing it in one colour). I like to try challenge myself now I've been crocheting properly for over a year- trying not to let myself stay in my comfort zone of only trying easy patterns- and am actually finding I am better than I thought I was.

reverse sc- it just felt so awkward to me and I didn't like the results (so was probably doing it wrong :lol).

I also have a little trouble getting the gauge spot on for some patterns- my height is always a little too high but if I go down hook sizes my width is too small. I've just been trying to find a happy medium.

First thing you ever crocheted:

A poodle dog pop bottle cover. Made lots of them many, many years ago, don't have the pattern, but can still make it from memory. :think

Strangest place you have crocheted:

At Les Schwab waiting area, waiting for tires to rotated and flat to be repaired.

Fave thing to make:

Designing my own patterns to make purses :hook .

Do you do charity stuff:

Not yet.

Fave yarn:

Caron Simply Soft and Red Heart 4 ply worsted.

Aluminum, "J", "P" & "G", I love Susan Bates' hooks because the flat part is closer to the hook and easier to handle.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted:

This full sized kitty cat I have been working on for months, the tail-body & legs are done and I suppose I should give the poor thing a head :eek .

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you:

The newer patterns are getting harder and harder to read :think, everyone is making up there own "lingo". It would be easier to read if they wrote them plain and simple like the patterns from the 70's & 80's.

as a child lots of little things, like for the dolls

later my real project was an afgan. this one

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto=SIFPA3KE

uh I don't know everywere you can croched is a good place to crochet.

Fave thing to make?

afgans

uh no. but with a son who is autistic and a husband who has a chronisch sickness, I have enough charity at home. ;)

Fave yarn?

none

like to crochet with an tunisch hook. size 3,5 thats e or d in us size

I'm making that tichi doggy now. :? :? :?:ducky:book:idea

no

uh no. but with a son who is autistic and a husband who has a chronisch sickness, I have enough charity at home. ;)

I know how you feel both my husband and eldest son have asperger's - makes home life very stressful sometimes. This is one of the reasons I don't want to commit myself to making a certain number of objects for charity- I don't want any stress added onto my crocheting- its my way of chilling out and doing something for myself. But like I mentioned in my answers on this thread I would like to do something.

• 2 weeks later...

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? I learned to crochet very young - I can remember making outfits for my Barbie Dolls

Strangest place you have crocheted? No really strange places - travelling and at home - Do you consider the bathroom strange?

Fave thing to make? Shawls & stoles

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I have made hats for charity

Fave yarn? Alpaca, merino wool, mohair - soft stuff

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? - I have a lot of both, but I love my bamboo ones best

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I have never really tried anything too difficult - I would love to make the cover sweater on Hip to Crochet

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not stumps me, no - I find some things more difficult than others, for example - I prefer charts to written instuctions - I can follow written, but I find it slower and it takes me longer to understand the directions.

-a shawl. it was horrid, but a friend asked for it, I gave it to her and she uses it all the time :manyheart

-when tequila drunk in a messy bar. frogged the next day ;).

Fave thing to make?

-shawls and bags...

-no I don't... yet...

Fave yarn?

-cotton or mohair

-My first hook, 4,5 in size, metall. it was a gift :)

-tiny snowflakes for christmas decoration. the thread is like sewing thread and one can barely see that the hook is hooked..

-that I don't know the english terms good enough to do recepies in english! (must.learn.the.terms...)

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? I learned to crochet very young - I can remember making outfits for my Barbie Dolls

Strangest place you have crocheted? No really strange places - travelling and at home - Do you consider the bathroom strange?

Fave thing to make? Shawls & stoles

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I have made hats for charity

Fave yarn? Alpaca, merino wool, mohair - soft stuff

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? - I have a lot of both, but I love my bamboo ones best

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I have never really tried anything too difficult - I would love to make the cover sweater on Hip to Crochet

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not stumps me, no - I find some things more difficult than others, for example - I prefer charts to written instuctions - I can follow written, but I find it slower and it takes me longer to understand the directions.

the first thing I ever crocheted was a ripple afghan, that my cousin taught me how to crochet, and I've been crocheting them off and on ever since. I just finished my 3rd one in a little less then two months. I'm a little tired :) natcat

Answer these questions:

a baby blanket for a friend

on an Air Force plane during Desert Storm

Fave thing to make?

blankets

blankets and baby things

Fave yarn?

Caron TLC

Boye's, sizes J & K

The hardest was actually a simple stitch, just yarn issues!

I am not good at finishing off squares or edges.

:yay First thing you ever crocheted?

A ripple afghan, in 4 colors of blue

Strangest place you ever crocheted?

I usually only crochet at home

Fave thing to make?

Afghans(ripple), or Warm Scarves

Do you do charity work? if so, what?

I haven't yet

Fave yarn?

Red Heart Super Saver(#1), Caron One Pound, Caron Perfect Match( All Acrylics):manyheart

Fave Hook?

Boye J , K , & N

I tried to crochet squares but can't get the hang of it, I would like to though

Is there anything about crochet that really stumps you?

crocheting squares, or granny squares, the patterns are probably real easy, but my brain can't get the hang of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/\/\/\/\/\LOVE MY RIPPLE AFGHANS/\/\/\/\/\

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mom started teaching us to crochet by making little chain worms with pink and green yarn. My sister and I just loved playing with these (we were much younger then) I believe the first real full-size project I made was a little cotton drawstring bag. I still use this to put my yarn in when the ball runs low and starts falling apart, even though the abg has a row of little holes down teh side from a confusion about sl st.

Nowhere is too strange for crochet, especially during the Christmas "crunch". In December, I bring my projects everywhere. This year, I've even started bringing a big beach bag with all of my Christmas WIPs so that I can work on something for whomever doesn't happen to be right there! Back to the question, though, it does get awkward when you crochet in front of a bunch of people who don't know how. You cna't be very productive when you're always showing someone how to sc!

Fave thing to make?

Anything more complex than a square

I am currently working on a baby blanket for the local pregnancy center. That is my first charity project.

Fave yarn?

There's always something to be said for Red Heart Supersaver worsted weight acryllic yarn, but as far as "fun" yarn goes, something that lets you see the stitches through the fuzz, and that doesn't get all caught in the hook. I love the look and feel of chenille, but it's so expensive!

I always use alluminum, except for my plastic size "P". I hate the kind that are "cut out" (if you know what I mean) because they always get caught in my yarn.

pair of socks, but I loved it!

So far, nothing I haven't been able to figure out.

Archived