Not a Quality Craft!

The local section in this morning's newspaper had brief notices of upcoming events. One announcement of a church craft fair bragged "Quality crafts only, No Crocheted Potholders." I wonder if they will have quilted or knit potholders.

Joan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The local section in this morning's newspaper had brief notices of upcoming events. One announcement of a church craft fair bragged "Quality crafts only, No Crocheted Potholders." I wonder if they will have quilted or knit potholders.

Joan

It is funny that you mentioned this. My sister's church is having a christmas bizzar, so she offered to make some things for them. They turned her down twice, saying they wanted no crocheted stuff as they are tacky.

Good thing I don't live up there any more. :tryme:rant:box

Okay, I know that statement seemed offensive at first, but I think we should all admit that we have all seen some pretty scary crocheted potholders out there! They exist...lurking behind examples of disastrous tole painting and unfortunate choices in sartorial design...

I think we should all take that caveat against "not quality crafts" to make some fabulous and creative potholders!

:tryme :tryme :tryme :tryme :tryme :tryme :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant:box :box :box :box :2nono :2nono :2nono:yell :yell :yell:angry :angry :angrytheir loss, how rude is that, if it were me i would show up in my cutest crochet thing i made and then tell them, gosh isn't there anything crochet, thats all i come for to these "little affairs":devil :devil :devil sorry i am a bit snotty this morning . but it gets my dander up when i see such discrimantion. let them keep their "craft fair" crochet is a art anyways:D :D :D :D :D

Why does crochet have this horrible stigma attached to it? Hell that commercial for the air freshner even makes me mad.

Why crochet? Why is knitting so much more "hip" than crochet?

The used a poor choice of words.

Joan

I don't want to offend anybody (I'm a christian myself)... but it bothers and hurts me so much that it was a church craft fair. Wouldn't the church be setting an example of acceptance and not being judgemental? Have they seen all the crocheted potholders in the world so they can say that they can't be accepted as quality items? I think this gives such a bad image to that church and its members... they're not sending the right message.

Just my :2c,

~Eliany

Okay, I know that statement seemed offensive at first, but I think we should all admit that we have all seen some pretty scary crocheted potholders out there! They exist...lurking behind examples of disastrous tole painting and unfortunate choices in sartorial design...

I think we should all take that caveat against "not quality crafts" to make some fabulous and creative potholders!

I have to agree with Francesca about admitting that crocheting can be ugly. Case in point is my Ugly-ghan that my dear C'Villers made for me as I needed a good laugh :D as it is the best medicine for healing. Be that as it may, it's only been very recently that crochet has moved away from the ugliness of the 60s, 70s and 80s with modern yarns allowing for more tasteful designs, as well as people realizing that crocheting can be just as snappy and smart as knitting.

I have seen my share of ugly crochet, and I feel a sense of disappointment when I do see it because it only fuels the fire of those against it. (In our defense, I have seen ugly knitted items, too!) I do my person best to create stylish things just to break the stereotype.

How tasteless. :angry

I can't wait until Debbie Stoller's (she's the editor of Bust Magazine) new Stitch n' Bitch book comes out in January. I think her knit Stitch n' Bitch book was one of the reasons knitting has been so trendy lately. I'm hoping that perhaps with the publication of her crochet book in January, crochet will also become more popular and less the "ugly stepsister" yarn craft, so you won't be hearing as many comments like that...

The diarrhea that comes out of peoples mouths.......:tryme:irk

My husband calls that verbiarrhea.

I hate to think some people could be so closed minded... guess we coudl all go picket the church ROFL

I'd go and ask to see some crocheted potholders. Repeatedly.:devil

Sounds like something I would do. And I, too have seen some ugly crocheted things. And knit and quilted and embroidered and painted and sewn. So to single out crochet implies that crochet is tackier than other crafts.

When I informed my sister I was learning to crochet, she informed ME that she isn't interested in receiving any hand-made gifts. I want to find one of those god-awful crocheted barbie doll toilet paper covers (in faded pink, I think) :devil , or the most horrible pot-holder in the world.

Although the situation is not funny, all of your responses have me roaring here in my office:lol . My first craft fair is tomorrow and now I am scared sh--less:eek

I am a catholic but some of those old ladies (and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, please send your emails to(Idontgiveadamn@yahoo.com.(with they're almightier than thou attitudes need to re-examine their faith and look in the mirror.:heehee

They think that they are better than everyone else and turn up their nose at anyone who doesn't "fit in".:bow

It is funny that you mentioned this. My sister's church is having a christmas bizzar, so she offered to make some things for them. They turned her down twice, saying they wanted no crocheted stuff as they are tacky.

Good thing I don't live up there any more. :tryme:rant:box

You know, that is so funny. At my church, anytime they have a sell or silent auction or anything, they begged me to make them something. I guess my entire church is tacky. Well, I love my tacky family...lol

Archived