Not a Quality Craft!

I would have loved to show up with a collection of trendy crochet clothing that my sister and I make. Along with a few of you, I'm sure we could have made them change their minds. :D

You GO girl!!! I like your attitude!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like something I would do. And I, too have seen some ugly crocheted things. And knit and quilted and embroidered and painted and sewn. So to single out crochet implies that crochet is tackier than other crafts.

Just to let them know.... I have done a few craft shows, and my crochet items were about the only things that WERE SELLING!! So THERE!

When I informed my sister I was learning to crochet, she informed ME that she isn't interested in receiving any hand-made gifts. I want to find one of those god-awful crocheted barbie doll toilet paper covers (in faded pink, I think) :devil , or the most horrible pot-holder in the world.

Hey, if anyone has one of those hanging around...let me know.

Why does crochet have this horrible stigma attached to it? Hell that commercial for the air freshner even makes me mad.

Why crochet? Why is knitting so much more "hip" than crochet?

The used a poor choice of words.

Oooh, I hate that commercial too! A very good friend of mine (a man) who I've been friends with since high school (we are both married by the way) we were chatting on the phone a few weeks ago catching up after losing contact for almost a year and when he asked what I had been up to I told him I learned how to crochet and he instantly laughed and said I had "turned into an old lady"...

It's amazing that people have this image of Granny Squares in mustard yellow and puke green and can think of nothing else... Crochet is soooo much more than that! I really wish we could get the word out about this wonderful craft...

Heck, DIY has 2 shows devoted to knitters but not one for crocheters. Sure they have a crocheted project on their needlepoint craft show from time to time, but I am certain that I am not the only person who would love to see a daily crochet show on DIY...

They are the ones behind the times.

All you have to do is pick up the latest issue of vouge or in style to see that crochet is very stylish right now

I have a few friends who are in fashion design and they are always telling me how lucky I am to know crochet since it is all the rage right now.

Went to a runway show last month and saw little crocheted hats (some whose patterns were on crochetpatterncentral!) selling for literally HUNDREDS of dollars.

Very fashionable.

I like the idea of all of us going there and asking to buy some crocheted potholders. Well that or the p hook think :lol

~CHicki

Wow that was a tacky statement they made about crochet.......there is so much more to crochet than ugly potholders! I think maybe they should do some research besides generalizing a whole group like that. I have a whole lot of ugly crafts that weren't crocheted, instead made of wood, quilted, knitted etc.

I wish that everyone could drop the sterotype of crochet, hopefully it will be sometime in my lifetime LOL

Why is it some people tend to put down either:

What/who they don't understand,:(

things they don't care to understand,:P

*or* is it that...

THEY ARE JUST TOO DARN JEALOUS THEY CAN'T CROCHET?!:devil

My friend's mother, who is an avid knitter...wishes she could crochet better.

The person who made that statement about the fair is obviously ignorant and is content to remain so.

How wude!!! :eek You know I have personally witnessed some really cheesy crocheted stuff. I don't make cheesy stuff ( I don't think) and I know you guys don't make cheesy stuff. So what is wrong with a few really non cheesy potholders. Doesn't everyone use them or is this the Church of the Scorched Hands :fire ?? I would buy:shop a goodlooking potholder if I didn't know how to make them. Well, maybe I am cheesy after all.:mouse

We all should make a bunch of potholders and maiil them to this church to be put in their craft fair/show whatever.:gallery

I should probably just keep my mouth shut, but I am going to say this and hope you all take it in the spirit it is meant. I crochet, knit and felt and do all types of fiber art.

I believe that so much of the stigma about crochet is that the majority of crochet is done with cheap yarns.

The red heart acrylic yarn has its place, I use it for baby things that need to be easily washable. But to make a sweater of it is not its best use. Knitters tend to use higher end yarns and the quality of what you make is directly related to the materials used. I have made crocheted hats and would not cosider them tacky, but they were made with high quality yarns. The same hat in a cheap yarn would look cheap.

If you are putting your precious time into making something use the best quality you can.

If you are making a baby afghan that needs to be washable and hypoallergenic by all mean use acrylic.

If you are designing a sweater or shawl, and want it to look really artistic, use a better quality yarn.

Deb

So what is wrong with a few really non cheesy potholders. Doesn't everyone use them or is this the Church of the Scorched Hands :fire ??

Bwahaha!!! :lol

Just the other day, I was getting out a potholder/hotpad, and realized that every single one we have is crocheted. And not by me-- we've had them long before I learned how to crochet. :P

Guest Crafterlady46

They probably have a burr where the sun dont shine. I hate it when someone puts crochet down. They envy us. Thats all.

I do use "cheap" crochet thread and I think my doilies are ok. I use southmaid thread. The "cheapest" stuff. I also think some beautiful items are made from cheap yarn. I have seen some gorgeous afghans made with the "cheapest" yarn and looked like art to me. But then again I am not a yarn expert.

It bothers me church people could be so rude. Surprises me a little. I hope they pray for the feelings they have hurt.

Yes we all have seen the really bad crocheted items.:eek But for a church to advertise that they don't want crocheted potholders well that really is not very nice. Maybe in the past that is all they have gotten from people. Don't know -

However there are so many beautiful crocheted items now days with all the beautiful yarns :manyheart maybe they should have advertised differently like they want high dollar crochet items. We crocheters certainly don't have a problem making those items!!! :hook Lets see, we could make felted bags that cost $150.00 or a sweater or shrugs that cost $250.00 or.... the list is endless.....:devil

That's a very hurtful thing to say. :worried And from a church, no less! They're probably managing to insult 90% of the people who donated to their precious craft shows in the past and who won't be helping with much of anything in the future. I minored in religion in college which means I sat through a lot of lectures and took a lot of tests and wrote a lot of papers and read a lot of Bible and I seem to remember that :heart love=good and self-righteous snobbery=bad.:2nono Or am I remembering wrong? :scrachin

Morals of this unpleasant little story:

1. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

2. Don't p!$$ off your potential volunteer force unless you are prepared to do everything by yourself forever and ever.

3. Pride is one of the Seven Deadlies for a reason. Think about it.

4. Don't p!$$ off people who, with just a hook and some RH yarn, can whip up a garotte in 30 seconds or a full blown noose in under 2 minutes.

5. When you fall flat on your face--and you will--everyone you've managed to alienate with your holier-than-thou attitude will really enjoy it which will make it seem worse. :devil

6. You suck. That's not really a moral, but I had to mention it.:nahnah

I agree we should donate a mountain of awesome potholders, let everyone ooh and ahh over them and think about how much $$ they'll make . . . and then ask for them back. :neener

Bad potholder flashback: My grandma stores her crocheted potholders in a bin with mothballs. Then she'll set a hot dish on one so the stink of hot mothballs fills the kitchen. Yummmmy! :ohdear

Oooh, I hate that commercial too! A very good friend of mine (a man) who I've been friends with since high school (we are both married by the way) we were chatting on the phone a few weeks ago catching up after losing contact for almost a year and when he asked what I had been up to I told him I learned how to crochet and he instantly laughed and said I had "turned into an old lady"...

It's amazing that people have this image of Granny Squares in mustard yellow and puke green and can think of nothing else... Crochet is soooo much more than that! I really wish we could get the word out about this wonderful craft...

Heck, DIY has 2 shows devoted to knitters but not one for crocheters. Sure they have a crocheted project on their needlepoint craft show from time to time, but I am certain that I am not the only person who would love to see a daily crochet show on DIY...

I have written to DIY several times about the fact that they have TWO knitting shows, but nothing about crochet.... I offered my expertise by being a guest OR a host, and you know what they told me? "Get an agent." Whatevuh!! :shrug

All crafts are quality including crocheted pot holders.

Linda :hook

I must respectfully disagree, Linda.

While there are apparently many very talented crocheters on this site and elsewhere, there are plenty of other crafters (in all media) who have no sense of suitable and appealing color combinations, the right materials for the project, sense of proportion and balance, etc.

As I said in my post above--or at least as I tried to say--there is indeed a range of quality in crochet. The person who initially admonished prospective vendors at the craft fair against tacky crocheted potholders clearly had had a bad experience with such a thing as tacky crocheted potholders. That person wasn't categorically banning all crochet--just the poorly-thought-out stuff.

As much respect as I have for many crafters out there, just as with musicians and other artists, there are plenty of crocheters who just don't get it.

Maybe I'm sensitive to this because I teach art history and I am constantly aware of the difference between good and bad art. Personal taste notwithstanding, there are artists out there who have bad technique and make poor compositional choices, for example.

I'm new here and possibly speaking out of turn, but I'm confused why so many members here can't acknowledge that such a thing as ugly, tacky, and really bad crochet exists. That's what the air freshener commercial is parodying--not the attractive pieces that many members here produce.

As I said in my post above--or at least as I tried to say--there is indeed a range of quality in crochet. The person who initially admonished prospective vendors at the craft fair against tacky crocheted potholders clearly had had a bad experience with such a thing as tacky crocheted potholders. That person wasn't categorically banning all crochet--just the poorly-thought-out stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't think it was all that clear at all, Francesca. It can perhaps be inferred from the statement that this was the case, but it is not a given known. It is also the experience of several on this forum to run into a similar type of discrimination against crocheted items using things like "crocheted potholders" and air freshener covers (and toilet paper covers, etc ad nauseum) as the excuse for the exclusion of the craft as "inferior". I think this is what everyone is reacting to.

As much respect as I have for many crafters out there, just as with musicians and other artists, there are plenty of crocheters who just don't get it.

Maybe I'm sensitive to this because I teach art history and I am constantly aware of the difference between good and bad art. Personal taste notwithstanding, there are artists out there who have bad technique and make poor compositional choices, for example.

I'm new here and possibly speaking out of turn, but I'm confused why so many members here can't acknowledge that such a thing as ugly, tacky, and really bad crochet exists. That's what the air freshener commercial is parodying--not the attractive pieces that many members here produce.

Yes, there are some truly disastrous crochet products out in circulation, just as there are for knits and other crafts. All suffer from this to a similar degree. I don't think anybody would disagree with that. But crochet, of all of them, gets singularly picked on almost exclusively. And like I said before, many on this forum have experienced that prejudice firsthand. Unfortunately, to you perhaps the air freshener commercial was a simple parody but to the average viewer, who doesn't know squat about crochet, it is going to represent all crochet in their minds such that when they come across one of those attractive pieces, they have a hard time even believing it could be crochet, because of the negative connotation that has been planted in their head. I will agree with you only when I see a similar parody of knitting come across the airwaves! The way things are going, I wouldn't hold my breath!

Oh, and just to be clear - you are not speaking "out of turn" as a new member. You are totally entitled to share your opinion, even if others might tend to disagree with it! :) All opinions are welcome here, otherwise we wouldn't have much to talk about!

Crochet still has a ways to go before it can take it's rightful place next to knitting as a "cool" craft. We tend to get incensed whenever we run across anything that serves as an obstacle to that goal, such as this bit about banning "crochet potholders", regardless of the motivation behind it, which like I said, we really can't know for sure, only surmise.

Archived