Made to give away, but didn't want to!

diamond

Have you ever made something for someone else but it turned out so great that you just couldn't bear to give it away? And, if so, did you end up giving it to the person you made it for or keep it for yourself? And in the same token, did you ever make something for yourself but because someone else wanted it, did you give/sell it to them or keep it regardless that you could make yourself another?

Well I have but haven't finished it yet if that makes sense!

I started on the Old Glory Afghan awhile ago meaning it to be a Christmas present for MIL. As I got about 1/4 of the way done I decided it was going to be so stunning that I would never be able to part with it when finished. (My hubby also told me he wouldn't let it out of the house! He can't wait til it's finished!) So I put it on the back burner til after Christmas...

Yep! I made a baby blanket, bonnet, sweater booties that turned out so beautiful that I didn't want to give it away. I did though. It was a gift for a neighbor that I didn't even know. She has little ones that play with my grandson. I got the nicest thank you note from her. She used the outfit to have the baby baptised in. It's nice to give handmade gifts to those that otherwise would do without. And no, I don't usually keep things for myself. I have too many people to make gifts for.

All the time! So far I have made, 2 Jessica shawls, a poncho, a shrug and a hat and scarf set for Christmas gifs. I am having a hard time deciding who to give them to because I want them all. I already used one of the shawls, so I guess I will have to keep it.

I have I just did a throw and was planning on giving it to a good friend for christmas but I sit on my sofa every night with it on my lap and it keeps me warm . I guess she is not gonna get that one........lol

I made several shawls for my church Fall Festival crafts sale, My favorite one was beautiful raspberry pink RH Plush. I put it in the sale even tho I coveted it and it didn't sell so guess who gets it! LOL. I love wearing it.

terrybb

Yes to all questions. I made several doilys that came out great and gave away to friends who wanted them. I always figured I would make another one for myself but never did.

Wendyb532

I made a beautiful lapghan for a relative but heard that she didn't care for any "handmade " gifts so I kept it for myself! I love it and it was her loss.

I just made a blanket for a Christmas present for my mom. I really wanted to keep it because it matched my bed clothes but it is for my mom so I will give it up. I can always make me another one.

I have the opposite problem, I keep starting projects for myself and ALWAYS wind up giving them away! So far: a quilt, an afghan and a sweater!!! (Everything else has been intended for other people, and of course makes it to it's destination!) LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

It has happened to me a couple of times and I have usually given the item to the person I made it for anyway. The only thing I have kept for myself was a scarf I made for someones christmas present- I hadn't decided who it was for yet and I have enough yarn to make another one so I decided to keep it for myself.

I recently made something for myself with the idea that if the it turned out ok I would make another one for my swap partner, but it was so gorgeous I decided to send that one to my swap partner (hope she likes it). Am going to make myself another one when I've had the chance to buy some more wool (its a yummy merino and they don't sell it in my local yarn shop).

Hmmm ... not quite but almost. I started a Seraphina shawl with the idea that it would be a Christmas present although I wasn't quite decided on who would get it. I kept trying it on to see if it was long enough and ... well ... I loved it so much that it's MY shawl now, and I wear it constantly. I'm almost done with two more though, so those will be the gifts :D That shawl is the first item I've ever made that I ended up keeping!

I started a laceweight Seraphina a few weeks ago for myself and just last night decided it was turning out so nice it would make a great gift for my mom, who I know will LOVE it! That's a first for me. As far as the reverse, no, I have never decided to keep something I had first decided would be a gift - yet! I don't normally change my mind mid-project, as a rule, though.

For me the funniest one, is this story, Three months ago I asked my sister point blank if there was anything she would like me to make her for Christmas. I would rather give them something they wanted then surprise them with something they hated. She said no she didn't want anything, no afghans, shawls, purses, nothing. I was a little hurt but got over it.

Then I made a felted purse for the purse swap, I hated it. It was too big the handle way too long and it just wasn't right, I set it aside and started over as I couldn't possible send THAT one. My sister happened to come by that weekend. The original purse was still laying on the table drying, She eye balled it and I explained it wasn't good enough. Well she kept looking at it and touching it. looking at it and touching it some more. I finally looked at her and asked Do you want THAT. Surprised me She said she would love to have it. So I finished it and lined it, fixed it where she could adjust the handle so it wouldn't be down around her knees. I gave it to her for her Birthday and she was thrilled. I still hate it. I told her I wouldn't put my label in it as I wasn't going to admit making that, It was a second. But she loves it.

So instead of being torn about keeping something I loved, I was almost forced to give away something I hated. I still don't like that purse. The one for the swap turned out much better.

I normally give to the person the item I make intended for them, even if I love it. Sometimes I do give something I intended for myself to someone else, as it turns out to be so perfect for them. I do keep items for myself though. Why not I deserve nice things too.

I'm a giver... I hardly keep anything I make. I always like to make people smile. And, I feel blessed to have the talent I do to make things. There is nothing more rewarding than to give with a happy heart. So, I guess I've never kept anything I made for anyone else, but I have sure gave away plenty of things that I made for myself.:D

I've never kept anything I've made...and I rarely am tempted...however I recently completed a purse I wanted to keep..but I dont carry a handbag , LOL:P

i hardly ever keep anything for myself, a exception was a shawl i had made , was not for any one in particular, but was so pretty i chose to keep it for myself.but other than that nothing i have done have i kept if i had made it for someone else. been tempted a few times like the star afghan i made for my hubby which i gave him tonight, he loved it so much and i am so happy, made me cry with happiness:clap :clap :clap :clap

I give 'em to the person I made 'em for. Sometimes with a gracious heart, and sometimes not! :lol

When I first learned to crochet (young family, no money) I made myself a kitchen rug. My then-husband said it was "so beautiful," just the colors his mom loved, and insisted I give it to her. She put it on a table in her sunroom, where she never went. I got up the nerve to ask her for it back, but she insisted she loved it. It faded away, alone and neglected in that sunroom!

awwwwwwwwww ranieannie awwwwwwwwww hun.... the rug really wasnt alone tho....... a sunroom ....... so lots of sunshine I would think, covered a table that maybe felt lonely, neglected, probably cheered up the other items in that room maybe?? (sorry tho that that happened to your beautiful rug)

I have to admit that I had a really hard time letting go of the tote I made Cordelia for the purse/tote swap! I covered a canvas bag with freeform and lined it in a beautiful black/brown paisley fabric with a padded strap to match the lining. It was so hard to package it up and send it off! By the time I was almost done with it (and nearing the mailing deadline) I was really wanting to keep it, but I sent it to Cordelia because I had told myself from the beginning that it was her bag, not mine. That made it easier to send it.

I'll just have to go to Wal-Mart and pick up another canvas tote and make myself one! :devil

• 1 year later...

I made a baby blanket for a baby shower I went to this weekend, but when I finished it, I fell so in love with it, I decided not to give it and made another blanket (exact same pattern) in different colors. I'm going to enter the first blanket into the state fair.

Before moving to Italy, I gave everything away,,,,secretly :drool ing over the items, wanting to hoard them all! Now, I hoard!! MMbbwwuhhahahaaaaaa Ok,,ok,,,I will share from time to time.

I started an afghan for myself-a glorified granny square in off-white. My SIL called--needed a hurry-up baby gift for a co-worker who was adopting. The couple got a call that a baby was available-surprise! I hustled to get my square to an appropriate size to give away. I never made myself one in that pattern, but I did make one of individual squares that turned out to be beautiful.

• 4 years later...

Archived