Shawl We Crochet? - CAL

darski

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, well I frogged the harlequin and restarted it with the 6.5 mm hook. I do like it better than the 5.5, much nicer stitch definition. I'm back to where I was before frogging. I just would not have been satisfied with it if I didn't "do over".

Okay, well I frogged the harlequin and restarted it with the 6.5 mm hook. I do like it better than the 5.5, much nicer stitch definition. I'm back to where I was before frogging. I just would not have been satisfied with it if I didn't "do over".

I so agree with that.  Mine isn't as stiff as a 5.5 would have been and I am just too far into it now to start over but I like that you did :wlol

Ok Darski, what is the easiest shawl pattern you have, short of the one that looks like a granny's square?

I tried the Harlequin.last night and could not follow the directions.

I am going to look on you tube. See if there is something easy with an actual tutorial.

Ok Darski, what is the easiest shawl pattern you have, short of the one that looks like a granny's square?

I tried the Harlequin.last night and could not follow the directions.

I am going to look on you tube. See if there is something easy with an actual tutorial.

the absolute easiest one is the Wheelchair Wrap.  and it is so adaptable to many stitches and such to make it interesting.

I am guessing that you had trouble with the sc row.  it took a bit of reading for me to get that one too.

Quick question. There is no note at the start of row two that says anything like "chain three, turn". Do you just draw up the yarn a little bit and start the first DC of the 2nd row like that?

Quick question. There is no note at the start of row two that says anything like "chain three, turn". Do you just draw up the yarn a little bit and start the first DC of the 2nd row like that?

On my own patterns I almost never say to ch 3 or whatever.   I figure that everyone knows how they start a dc row and leave them to do it.

I don't personally ch 2 or 3 to start a row.  I almost always use Megan's method - the part I want is at about 2:15 into the video

I was actually confused about what she was doing. The camera angle was kind of bad and didn't help.

Some days I can't understand why things that others get easily are such a struggle for me to learn. But for now I will try the old fashioned "ch3 and turn" method. My Dad volunteers at the VA home (not the hospital that has been in the news for a year or so now) and says that something like 80% of the residents are in chairs. So maybe I will see if any of the old fellows there would like one. i have some very manly yarn I want to try.

I was actually confused about what she was doing. The camera angle was kind of bad and didn't help.

Some days I can't understand why things that others get easily are such a struggle for me to learn. But for now I will try the old fashioned "ch3 and turn" method. My Dad volunteers at the VA home (not the hospital that has been in the news for a year or so now) and says that something like 80% of the residents are in chairs. So maybe I will see if any of the old fellows there would like one. i have some very manly yarn I want to try.

Denise, that is a wonderful idea!   My crochet club sends 35" X 35" afghans to Veterans' hospitals, and have found that they are very well received!  The brighter colors worked into an afghan are cheerful!

Hi Ladies,

I've been following or catching up when I haven't read your writings for awhile. You all have made some beautiful shawls.

Collette I want to thank you and your crochet club for making those afghans for the veterans. My bil went to the VA Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan many times. And with each stay he received an afghan that someone like yourself or your group made. He loved each one. He's passed now from a bad heart. But know your work is very appreciated by those Vets receiving an afghan.

Hi Ladies,

I've been following or catching up when I haven't read your writings for awhile. You all have made some beautiful shawls.

Collette I want to thank you and your crochet club for making those afghans for the veterans. My bil went to the VA Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan many times. And with each stay he received an afghan that someone like yourself or your group made. He loved each one. He's passed now from a bad heart. But know your work is very appreciated by those Vets receiving an afghan.

Marlene,  sorry to hear that your bil has passed, but I'm so gratified to hear that he loved those afghans!  We say a little prayer with each afghan we make, and it makes our hearts glad to hear that someone was comforted by them!

Here are pictures of my completed Harlequin shawl.  My photography skills haven't improved but you can get the idea.  I am pleased with the results.

post-23508-0-49400500-1431629135_thumb.jpgpost-23508-0-66837700-1431629106_thumb.jpg

Sorry they are sideways.  I don't know how to turn the photos.

Here are pictures of my completed Harlequin shawl.  My photography skills haven't improved but you can get the idea.  I am pleased with the results.

attachicon.gifHarlequin shawl back.jpgattachicon.gifHarlequin shawl front.jpg

that is quite pretty :heart

what photo program do you use?  I may be able to help you.

I started the wheelchair shawl tonight. It actually looks like the picture so far!

well, there you go :wlol 

it really is a good pattern - a nice size and so adaptable to stitch work.

That shawl is beautiful!:). Excellent work.

Krys

I just started the Harlequin shawl, and was wondering did you have trouble keeping track of both sides? I am a  little confused with her directions, and have just started making the downward side the same as the upward side...if that makes sense.

This is what I have done so far, does it look right? On the downward side I am just doing the reverse of the other side.

attachicon.gifPTDC0016.JPG attachicon.gifPTDC0017.JPG

Yes it is correct.  it is just a mirror of the upward side.  It goes quickly once you get the pattern over the 3 rows.  it is quite nice.

My main problem was remembering those 3 sts at the beginnings/ending. :wlol

Yes it is correct.  it is just a mirror of the upward side.  It goes quickly once you get the pattern over the 3 rows.  it is quite nice.

My main problem was remembering those 3 sts at the beginnings/ending. :wlol

Ok, thanks, I am starting to get the hang of it.

Archived