Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hot Hot Hot... seems to be the word of the day. Dangerous heat indexes today and tomorrow. Not sure I like our options... flooding storms or HOT. lol  You guys are making me drool with the talk about cupcakes and cobbler and ice cream. yum!

Had an interesting weekend, long story but an internet friend made a long bike ride 12000 miles and decided to come by on his way back to the northeast. I've met him once for lunch last Christmas in a town away from me. We are just friends and he is riding to get over a bad choice in relationships that didn't work out. He kept trying to get my address and I wouldn't give it to him. I wouldn't last Christmas and wouldn't now. Well, he texts he is coming to MY town, will be there by noon but check in isn't til 3 unless he can crash on my couch. I am a BIG introvert and this really stressed me. At most, I would have went to another town to have a quick lunch and see him on his way. Did not want him overnight in my town... especially on my couch!! So, told him to skip it. He got mad and left a sarcastic comment on my facebook page but I felt better when he was on his happy way out of OK. Just a very anxious worried time waiting to see if he'd show up against my wishes. I guess I'm not very trusting.. I've had stalkers before and had the cops involved and I don't let many close friends here at my house much less online single male friends from a motorcycle group. :(  Not going to happen.

Anyhoo, it's over and done with. I finally got the crazy cow afghan done my daughter (yay!). I have 3 puffies hoping to mail out this week. Working on a lapghan and a new shawl pattern that I am hoping comes out well. Kitty is doing fine... thinks he owns the place and he does. lol Him and Savi the tortoise seem to get along well. 

If you have a chance, say a prayer my invoices come in. Being self employed, sometimes things get slow, but the past few weeks/months have been ridiculous. I haven't been so broke in I can't remember when. I keep claiming God's promises and have sent out invoices and am owed a good amount, just need them to start coming in so I can catch up on bills. So embarrassing asking but prayers move mountains. Hard to stay positive after so long though. Thank ya much.

Hopefully you all are having marvelous mondays and staying cool and dry.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all, Wanted to let you know.....

Good News...

I am now a certifed EMT

Bad news...

My step father passed away 7-8-15. we had his funeral friday. Now to get my mom back on track.

Hoping to start crocheting again soon

hello girls, nice to see you back Dragnlady, and congrats girl, we're proud of you!!!!

katy its miserably hot here too--heat index today is 115.  I ran my errands this morning as soon as places opened.  It's days like this I wish they opened earlier.  

July packages are in the mail with estimated delivery date of Thurs on all three.

Tonight we will be having green beans, potatoes, cucumbers, and tomatoes from our garden along with pork chops.  Then we will have a blackberry cobbler made from berries from our briars.  Wish I had remembered to grab some vanilla ice cream to go with it.  

Sounds delish, dinner on mother nature tonight, plus ice cream, lol, my kind of world for sure!!!!

Hot Hot Hot... seems to be the word of the day. Dangerous heat indexes today and tomorrow. Not sure I like our options... flooding storms or HOT. lol  You guys are making me drool with the talk about cupcakes and cobbler and ice cream. yum!

Had an interesting weekend, long story but an internet friend made a long bike ride 12000 miles and decided to come by on his way back to the northeast. I've met him once for lunch last Christmas in a town away from me. We are just friends and he is riding to get over a bad choice in relationships that didn't work out. He kept trying to get my address and I wouldn't give it to him. I wouldn't last Christmas and wouldn't now. Well, he texts he is coming to MY town, will be there by noon but check in isn't til 3 unless he can crash on my couch. I am a BIG introvert and this really stressed me. At most, I would have went to another town to have a quick lunch and see him on his way. Did not want him overnight in my town... especially on my couch!! So, told him to skip it. He got mad and left a sarcastic comment on my facebook page but I felt better when he was on his happy way out of OK. Just a very anxious worried time waiting to see if he'd show up against my wishes. I guess I'm not very trusting.. I've had stalkers before and had the cops involved and I don't let many close friends here at my house much less online single male friends from a motorcycle group. :(  Not going to happen.

Anyhoo, it's over and done with. I finally got the crazy cow afghan done my daughter (yay!). I have 3 puffies hoping to mail out this week. Working on a lapghan and a new shawl pattern that I am hoping comes out well. Kitty is doing fine... thinks he owns the place and he does. lol Him and Savi the tortoise seem to get along well. 

If you have a chance, say a prayer my invoices come in. Being self employed, sometimes things get slow, but the past few weeks/months have been ridiculous. I haven't been so broke in I can't remember when. I keep claiming God's promises and have sent out invoices and am owed a good amount, just need them to start coming in so I can catch up on bills. So embarrassing asking but prayers move mountains. Hard to stay positive after so long though. Thank ya much.

Hopefully you all are having marvelous mondays and staying cool and dry.

well, so glad you are cautious, lots of weird people out there sopo, so safe and sound you are, and smart girl too!!

Hey all, Wanted to let you know.....

Good News...

I am now a certifed EMT

Bad news...

My step father passed away 7-8-15. we had his funeral friday. Now to get my mom back on track.

Hoping to start crocheting again soon

hopefully this heat will ease up in a day or two, seems cooler in the house tonight than last night, for sure.....I heard from Owlvamp, she has been busy, and over worked, but she will come in again soon, and visit with us Im sure.....

So sorry too dragnlady to hear of your loss, my condolences..

Quick check in from Florida! I'm mobile and it stinks to post on here but I am reading and keeping up with all the posts!

I'm glad all my packages made it safely! I was super proud of the squares for sopo and can find links to the free patterns if anyone is interested. The blue looks harder than it was.

Dragnlady, I'm so sorry for your loss! *hugs*

Lots of family time since we've been here and we leave to spend the weekend with my dad on Thursday then back home Sunday. My feet hurt and I'm exhausted but it's been fun!

I'll check in again when I can. I hope everyone has had a good weekend and a good Monday!

Good morning! Nikki would love the pattern links but wait til you get back home. Go have some fun!

hi ya all, and hi viking, glad to see you are doing ok, seemswe haven't seen you lately, so glad you are back!! Have fun yarnmonkey, nice squares!!

Imjust not up to feeling normal tonight, don't know if it's the heat or exactly what, so this will be short and sweet, lol, b ut Ill talk more tomorrow, hopefully will be a cooler day out, and Ill feel more like doing stuff!!! Take care all

well yesterday was more yard battle.

anyone remember the vines that kept tripping me up last year?,,well they are soon to be history,now that I found they are one of the breeding grounds for our massive mosquito colony, some were so tough,it almost knocked me on my keister

another hot on today,going to do some book reading,more than half done with the story,of course I have moe waiting in the wings

going to try and get more than last year's 66 read

Got the yard mowed before the pass out heat hit but got a nice big blister on my thumb that busted open. owwwie.  Trying to decide if I even want to go into town today or just stay inside and do chores and laundry. The last little hedgie girl I was keeping went to her new home yesterday so I got the extra bedroom back in order. It's a guest bedroom but since I never have guests, it's also my yarn room now and where I keep the cabbage patch kids I collect.  I had found the cutest 30 yr old wooden 'treasure trunk at a garage sale several weeks back. It needed repaired but they only wanted $5 for it so I brought it home not sure what I'd do with it. My dad helped me and we cut an arch doorway in one side and it's a perfect place for Rudy's litter box, you can't even tell what it is and the rounded top lifts up for cleaning. :) 

I still have the 3 puffies I haven't gotten out and will probably work on some more later today. I laid all the squares I have received out and they are all so pretty. You ladies are so talented.  I like 2 having a 4 x4 ghan. Trying to decide what color to join it in. I may snap a pic and post here to get y'all's opinion.  Enjoy your hump day ladies

dragnlady sorry for your loss

yarn_monkey sounds like you are having a fun but tiring trip

pineknott with all the work you have been doing you must have the prettiest yard in the area.  

katy hope you are feeling better

I am taking it easy today. You wouldn't think that two sessions on a lawn tractor for two and one half hours each would be that hard on a person but it was yesterday in the heat we had.   i tried to stay hydrated but still got a little sick to my stomach.  Then my legs acted like they wanted to cramp so I drank some Gatorade along with my water.

Hey everyone, How you all doing? I am doing good. Having a good cool evening.  You all Have a nice evening and a goodnight rest. Chat tomorrow. Take everyone. Love ya, Arlene  :ghug

Got the yard mowed before the pass out heat hit but got a nice big blister on my thumb that busted open. owwwie.  Trying to decide if I even want to go into town today or just stay inside and do chores and laundry. The last little hedgie girl I was keeping went to her new home yesterday so I got the extra bedroom back in order. It's a guest bedroom but since I never have guests, it's also my yarn room now and where I keep the cabbage patch kids I collect.  I had found the cutest 30 yr old wooden 'treasure trunk at a garage sale several weeks back. It needed repaired but they only wanted $5 for it so I brought it home not sure what I'd do with it. My dad helped me and we cut an arch doorway in one side and it's a perfect place for Rudy's litter box, you can't even tell what it is and the rounded top lifts up for cleaning. :)

I still have the 3 puffies I haven't gotten out and will probably work on some more later today. I laid all the squares I have received out and they are all so pretty. You ladies are so talented.  I like 2 having a 4 x4 ghan. Trying to decide what color to join it in. I may snap a pic and post here to get y'all's opinion.  Enjoy your hump day ladies

Oh that is just too cool an idea, i saw something to that effect done on a DIY site somewhere on the internet, that is just the neatest idea!!!

Good morning!

Trying to get things together but not doing so good.

Hope all is well with you all .

Hey ya there Sandra, hang in there girlie, things will improve, they got to, right, lol

dragnlady sorry for your loss

yarn_monkey sounds like you are having a fun but tiring trip

pineknott with all the work you have been doing you must have the prettiest yard in the area.  

katy hope you are feeling better

I am taking it easy today. You wouldn't think that two sessions on a lawn tractor for two and one half hours each would be that hard on a person but it was yesterday in the heat we had.   i tried to stay hydrated but still got a little sick to my stomach.  Then my legs acted like they wanted to cramp so I drank some Gatorade along with my water.

Oh gosh, i worry about you bgs and pineknot, doing all that mowing, and yardwork specially in the heat!! You and Pineknot are always working around, and I bet your homes reflect the work, and love you put into the landscape, such a job, but worth it, right.....

Pineknot, you're another one that is always puttering about, those darn weeds sometimes have roots all the way to CHina I think!!!

Bgs

its slow going,if I want something gone,I have to do it when Bill isn't around

I figure by fall it will be back to where I want it to be,and not flowers everywhere,hey that's a lot of watering,I have what I like centrally located,I am still hacking away at the black eyed susies,keeping some but not a 360 degree

view of them that I had to endure for years

Katy

I wouldn't doubt they'd reach China,they are crawlers

I yank and pull,then I get poopered and just leave them for Bill to pick up,and he sure hasn't said anything,same with rewinding the hose,just can't do it at times.

poor Linda, good thing it is more a labor of love huh, than a hated task, and think of the outcome, all in order, and beautiful, I do hope you take pics when  you get it the way you want it, Id love to see them if you do, lol I didn't know that petunias reseed themselves, but in my two pots from last year, I have blooms now, and I haven't planted them this year, so they must have reseeded, or the birds did it for me, lol,...and there are five or six tiny tomatos on the tomato plants, no peppers yet to speak of   yet though!!

Bgs too, so much land to tend to, but do you both agree, it's one of life's nessessary things, I mean we water, and things grow, we mow, complaining that it grew too fast, lol, never did understand that, but we all do it, and we all in the end, reap at least some rewards for all our hard work, right!!

kind of a boring night here, just finished my shower, and will probably see what is on the tube and lie in bed and watch something, or just go to sleep, lol, didn't get much sleep last night, so should sleep good tonight!

ohhhhh good news, daughter is going back to her original hair color, at last, I did a hand stand, so I could dance on the ceiling, lol

She has had very dark hair for so long, I was always on her to go back to her beautiful very light blond hair, as it went better with her complexion, and even paid for her to do it once, upwards of a hundred bucks back then, but she is doing it, and sent me an email, apparently it is a longish process, and she is looking much much lighter, so that is a good deal, i can't help it, but I always loved her as a blonde, lol nothing against her trying different looks, but its nice she's coming "back home" again to her blondness! lol Own it Jen!! he he he..

nothing much else here, so will probably go find something to watch, take care all, see ya tomorrow!!

Hello!

After 3 very long days my daughter and son-in-law are almost unpacked. There were still a couple boxes in the master bedroom and a box of pictures/art work that need to be unpacked but everything else is done. They have some other things to do to finish getting settled, like a sofa for the family room and a bed for the guest room, my daughter would also like new vanities in the bathrooms but those may have to wait a little while. They would also like to take down a wall between the living room and kitchen and have an island there so the kitchen doesn't seem so small. My daughter agreed to the small kitchen because the rest of the house is really nice and the back yard is amazing. My daughter is working today and tomorrow so I have a couple days to recuperate. I also need to finish the little dress I'm sewing because the birthday celebration is on Saturday. I guess that's enough rambling for now, I have sewing to do. Hope everyone has a great day.

pineknott I hear you about the watering.  Flowers here for the most part don't get watered.  We water the vegetable garden, our bonsai trees and maybe flowers,bushes, or trees when they are first set out.  Isn't it amazing how perennials can get out of hand?  After I plant one, if it survives it seems to set there for many years before it takes off but when it takes off it just keeps going.  All my flowers really need to be dug up (thinned out) and replanted.

katy dh and I have come to realize that we need to move. There is always more that should be done here than we can get done and each year we fall farther and farther behind.  We can see the day coming when we physically just can't do it anymore.  It's getting harder and harder with each passing year. This year has been awful just trying to keep up with the mowing because there is so much of it and there have been so few days when it wasn't raining.  We have also been going to my dad's most every Sat to work in his yard along with my sister and niece.  Now for your petunias, they make a little brown seed pod which is filled with zillions of little black seeds in what was the center of the flower.  Most people deadhead them so they will keep blooming and the seed pods don't have time to develop.  

We had petunias come up that I didn't plant. Some of them came up in a walkway, too! :lol Some are in the garden though. I hadn't known that about them either; it was a nice surprise. I even left the ones in the walkway, because it's not one we really need to use. :D

We just had a rough bedtime. LV kept trying to stick his foot on my head while we did songs and finally I just said good night and left because I couldn't take it anymore. He cried of course, but I told him I'd leave if he did it again and he did, so that was that. I'm just too tired tonight to put up with it.

Kind of a shame since we did a special trip tonight; our library is doing a superhero theme for the summer and there's a man who drew for DC and Marvel who lives locally and he came and did a presentation on his book Superhero ABC. He led some drawing exercises which were pretty neat to do, though of course we had to leave for a bathroom break right in the middle. LV even started off trying to follow what he was doing! (He drew "Funny Man", who is sort of a good guy but mostly works with the bad guys.) But the presentation was really close to bedtime so we were getting a little punchy by the end. :-/ It was still a lot of fun, though.

Ok, need to go see what else I have to get done before I can collapse into bed. Night, all.  :sleep

:ghug hugs to all!!!

Hello!

After 3 very long days my daughter and son-in-law are almost unpacked. There were still a couple boxes in the master bedroom and a box of pictures/art work that need to be unpacked but everything else is done. They have some other things to do to finish getting settled, like a sofa for the family room and a bed for the guest room, my daughter would also like new vanities in the bathrooms but those may have to wait a little while. They would also like to take down a wall between the living room and kitchen and have an island there so the kitchen doesn't seem so small. My daughter agreed to the small kitchen because the rest of the house is really nice and the back yard is amazing. My daughter is working today and tomorrow so I have a couple days to recuperate. I also need to finish the little dress I'm sewing because the birthday celebration is on Saturday. I guess that's enough rambling for now, I have sewing to do. Hope everyone has a great day.

wow, wonderful they are almostdone, huh, sounds like they have some good plans for the new place too!!

pineknott I hear you about the watering.  Flowers here for the most part don't get watered.  We water the vegetable garden, our bonsai trees and maybe flowers,bushes, or trees when they are first set out.  Isn't it amazing how perennials can get out of hand?  After I plant one, if it survives it seems to set there for many years before it takes off but when it takes off it just keeps going.  All my flowers really need to be dug up (thinned out) and replanted.

katy dh and I have come to realize that we need to move. There is always more that should be done here than we can get done and each year we fall farther and farther behind.  We can see the day coming when we physically just can't do it anymore.  It's getting harder and harder with each passing year. This year has been awful just trying to keep up with the mowing because there is so much of it and there have been so few days when it wasn't raining.  We have also been going to my dad's most every Sat to work in his yard along with my sister and niece.  Now for your petunias, they make a little brown seed pod which is filled with zillions of little black seeds in what was the center of the flower.  Most people deadhead them so they will keep blooming and the seed pods don't have time to develop.  

Oh i hate moving, but you gotta do what you gotta do, that is so much to do all the time, and then at your dad's too, sheesh.. I did not kno that about petunias, but they are blooming!!

I didn't know that about the petunias,if they stay around till fall,and if the darn spiders would stop chewing on them,I might have a chance to get some seeds

ha ha,we grew them from seeds a few years back, i think, the seeds are soooooo small!!!

Hi all

Hope you all are doing good. Here well lets say thats about it. Not much change.

Hi sandra, hang in there lady, we are here if you need us for anything!!

We had petunias come up that I didn't plant. Some of them came up in a walkway, too! :lol Some are in the garden though. I hadn't known that about them either; it was a nice surprise. I even left the ones in the walkway, because it's not one we really need to use. :D

We just had a rough bedtime. LV kept trying to stick his foot on my head while we did songs and finally I just said good night and left because I couldn't take it anymore. He cried of course, but I told him I'd leave if he did it again and he did, so that was that. I'm just too tired tonight to put up with it.

Kind of a shame since we did a special trip tonight; our library is doing a superhero theme for the summer and there's a man who drew for DC and Marvel who lives locally and he came and did a presentation on his book Superhero ABC. He led some drawing exercises which were pretty neat to do, though of course we had to leave for a bathroom break right in the middle. LV even started off trying to follow what he was doing! (He drew "Funny Man", who is sort of a good guy but mostly works with the bad guys.) But the presentation was really close to bedtime so we were getting a little punchy by the end. :-/ It was still a lot of fun, though.

Ok, need to go see what else I have to get done before I can collapse into bed. Night, all.  :sleep

aw, he just was tired and me thinks mom was too, lol, get some rest and things will look better in the morning!! :hug

well, i passed on brunch today, just wasn't feeling up to it, headachey, and such, but other than that, nothing much else a happening around here, rained to beat the band last night, a gully washer, maybe more on the way tonight, no cooler really though, still stuffy, hot , and now humid!!

more sightings of cougars or mountain lions, whatever they call um where you are at, in areas near creeks and rivers in nebraska.Where there is plenty of prey for them and water, I guess. Hope NOT ro run into one in person, but always on the lookout, I guess......

you all have a relaxing evening, and Ill see you tomorrow, it's Friday for those of you that work, yay!!!    :clap  :yes  :woo

Archived