Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Good morning.

I hope everyone had a safe and fun 4th celebration. Ours was pretty laid back but enjoyable. Church this morning and probably not much else today. Tomorrow I will be heading home which will be sad but I do have things I need to do at home and I'm sure the cats will appreciate me coming home. Guess thats about it for me, have a great day everyone.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all

well, it's over, lol, the holiday has past, and we all seem to have made it through without further incidence!! Mine was busy, but had a good time with daughter and sil, and his parents over for bbq, lots of work, but the food turned out all so good, I was pleased with that, and the company was terrific, they are such very nice people, I told daughter, she lucked out as inlaws go, lol, she agreed!!

SO plenty of food left over, can't possibly eat all this chicken in the fridge, so probably going to make chicken noodle soup, with at least the white meat, and eat the legs and thighs as snacks and such, lol sure was good, handyman did not dissapoint!!

cake is all but gone, two small pieces left, and a touch of potato salad, and some beans, 3 corn muffins, and a little bit of coleslaw,lol, so snack time tomorrow, huh!!

I gotta say, IM SO GLAD THE BOOMERS ARE OVER, they were so loud and soooo irritating,and it didn't stop till well,130 or so, soglad  that's over for another year!!

got to one of my bins of jiffy and thick and quick yarn, to see what of that I can use up quickly, free up another bin,lol so I can store more yarn in there one day soon, he he..

got one scarf done, used up 3 balls,one white, one black, and one sort of a mohairish burnt orange, so doing good so far..

TOmorrow I will try to get those puffy's to the post office, stop in, get my hair trimmed, run into the store and get some reams noodles, for my soup, and I don't know what else....The smoke in the air was so thick last night and yesterday, we ran to the er for handyman, as he was having trouble breathing, but nothing wrong, good to get it checked out though, they put him on prednizone for 10 days, and gave him a breathing treatment and  a script for a rescue inhaler thing, so he was fine all day today, just was too much on all of us that smoke from the fireworks yesterday, we all complained of issues,but good he got checked out anyway, to ease our minds.

Didn't get out of there, till 130 am, as we didn't decide to go, till 11 pm or so, but actually, wasn't a bad wait, just wanted to get home, I was so tired, and my back  was acting up too, lol but lived through it all, and got to sleep finally about 330 am, so, Ill sleep better tonight, and certainly more!!

bout it, all my news......lol hope all stayed safe, and had a good weekend, and got some hooky time in too!!! :clap

Hi everyone. Glad you all had a good weekend. Friday, kids insisted I go to the city (OKC) with them. I hate going up there because of all the traffic and crime but I gave in and learned I am too old for malls. lol Ohmygosh, how I hurt after walking around several stores. Came home exhausted but it was a good time. Ate at the cheesecake factory and went to Hobby Lobby. I found a sign of my favorite movie and Pat loved whales and I had been looking for one but they are so expensive. Well, right there, for only $7 after coupon was the cutest whale so he came home as my anniversary gift.

Then, for the first time since before I was married, went to family's instead of staying alone for the 4th. My parents and I had a year with no talking due to some trouble but when daughter moved, we were thrown together and I guess it's worked out (for now). My mom insisted on taking me shopping for my bday and anniversary and then her entire family all went to eat together. Coming home through bad storms, hydroplaned and almost took me and a biker out but God watched over us and miraculously, no one was hurt. My daughter came through the same spot later and a truck and trailer and police car were all in the ditch from sliding off. Just went to church yesterday morning and spent the rest of the day for my alone time. 

Got to get around today, pay bills and later my uncle is coming over to take my old recliner to my daughter's and pick up my new to me one at the store. I've had it on layaway a month trying to find a way to get it home. 

Thank you, yarnscrapper for the beautiful sand square. It will work great. :)

Everyone have a good week if possible. 

post-44513-0-19544000-1436188003_thumb.jpg

post-44513-0-25036400-1436188190_thumb.jpg

post-44513-0-15757500-1436188202_thumb.jpg

yarn_monkey cute shot of Peanut.  Right now my sister is just trying to get things out of the house so repairs can be started.  A storage unit gave them 2 free months on a unit,that helped out a lot.  

sopo glad to hear you got out a bit 

katy so glad handyman's breathng problem wasn't anything serious

Driving home Sat ngiht we coud see fireworks in the sky everywhere.  We are usually at home so that was kind of different.  I would have liked to stopped and watched one of them a bit.  It was advertised as going to set off the biggest shell in the country and would light up the sky for some tme bur we needed to get on home to feed the cat.  

hi all

well, it's over, lol, the holiday has past, and we all seem to have made it through without further incidence!! Mine was busy, but had a good time with daughter and sil, and his parents over for bbq, lots of work, but the food turned out all so good, I was pleased with that, and the company was terrific, they are such very nice people, I told daughter, she lucked out as inlaws go, lol, she agreed!!

SO plenty of food left over, can't possibly eat all this chicken in the fridge, so probably going to make chicken noodle soup, with at least the white meat, and eat the legs and thighs as snacks and such, lol sure was good, handyman did not dissapoint!!

cake is all but gone, two small pieces left, and a touch of potato salad, and some beans, 3 corn muffins, and a little bit of coleslaw,lol, so snack time tomorrow, huh!!

I gotta say, IM SO GLAD THE BOOMERS ARE OVER, they were so loud and soooo irritating,and it didn't stop till well,130 or so, soglad  that's over for another year!!

got to one of my bins of jiffy and thick and quick yarn, to see what of that I can use up quickly, free up another bin,lol so I can store more yarn in there one day soon, he he..

got one scarf done, used up 3 balls,one white, one black, and one sort of a mohairish burnt orange, so doing good so far..

TOmorrow I will try to get those puffy's to the post office, stop in, get my hair trimmed, run into the store and get some reams noodles, for my soup, and I don't know what else....The smoke in the air was so thick last night and yesterday, we ran to the er for handyman, as he was having trouble breathing, but nothing wrong, good to get it checked out though, they put him on prednizone for 10 days, and gave him a breathing treatment and  a script for a rescue inhaler thing, so he was fine all day today, just was too much on all of us that smoke from the fireworks yesterday, we all complained of issues,but good he got checked out anyway, to ease our minds.

Didn't get out of there, till 130 am, as we didn't decide to go, till 11 pm or so, but actually, wasn't a bad wait, just wanted to get home, I was so tired, and my back  was acting up too, lol but lived through it all, and got to sleep finally about 330 am, so, Ill sleep better tonight, and certainly more!!

bout it, all my news......lol hope all stayed safe, and had a good weekend, and got some hooky time in too!!! :clap

Leftovers are never a bad thing! Although it's a shame that more of it wasn't cake!  :D I hope they got Handyman all taken care of and that he's doing better now. 

Hi everyone. Glad you all had a good weekend. Friday, kids insisted I go to the city (OKC) with them. I hate going up there because of all the traffic and crime but I gave in and learned I am too old for malls. lol Ohmygosh, how I hurt after walking around several stores. Came home exhausted but it was a good time. Ate at the cheesecake factory and went to Hobby Lobby. I found a sign of my favorite movie and Pat loved whales and I had been looking for one but they are so expensive. Well, right there, for only $7 after coupon was the cutest whale so he came home as my anniversary gift.

Then, for the first time since before I was married, went to family's instead of staying alone for the 4th. My parents and I had a year with no talking due to some trouble but when daughter moved, we were thrown together and I guess it's worked out (for now). My mom insisted on taking me shopping for my bday and anniversary and then her entire family all went to eat together. Coming home through bad storms, hydroplaned and almost took me and a biker out but God watched over us and miraculously, no one was hurt. My daughter came through the same spot later and a truck and trailer and police car were all in the ditch from sliding off. Just went to church yesterday morning and spent the rest of the day for my alone time. 

Got to get around today, pay bills and later my uncle is coming over to take my old recliner to my daughter's and pick up my new to me one at the store. I've had it on layaway a month trying to find a way to get it home. 

Thank you, yarnscrapper for the beautiful sand square. It will work great. :)

Everyone have a good week if possible. 

Glad you made it home safely! I love the whale and I hope you enjoyed your dinner at the Cheesecake Factory! Yum!

yarn_monkey cute shot of Peanut.  Right now my sister is just trying to get things out of the house so repairs can be started.  A storage unit gave them 2 free months on a unit,that helped out a lot.  

sopo glad to hear you got out a bit 

katy so glad handyman's breathng problem wasn't anything serious

Driving home Sat ngiht we coud see fireworks in the sky everywhere.  We are usually at home so that was kind of different.  I would have liked to stopped and watched one of them a bit.  It was advertised as going to set off the biggest shell in the country and would light up the sky for some tme bur we needed to get on home to feed the cat.  

That's really nice of the storage company to do! I'll be thinking about your sister!  :hug

Quick check in again tonight because it's still early but I'll be headed to bed soon. We leave at 4 a.m. to drive to Florida so I've got to get into bed early. I'll be on my tablet while we're there but still able to visit here, even if it's brief. 

I spent most of the day doing laundry and packing, but I did get by the post office, so 3 packages went out. Two are due Thursday and one is due on Wednesday. Hopefully they arrive on time and unscathed! 

I hope everyone had a good Monday and I'll be back maybe tomorrow but probably Wednesday.  :ghug

hi all,

so much to catch up on, forgive me if I don't comment on it all,lol,

so sorry about your sis bgs, hope everything works out for them.

Peanut, is adorable, as always, he is just such a happy little fellow!!!

Be safe on your trip  nikki!! see you when you can check in with us!!

all else, forgot already, lol, hope you are all doing well..

Handyman is fine today, not complaints so far, so is on the mend, im sure it was aggravation from the smoke and such in the air for the days leading up to the fourth, and then all day and night, on the fourth...

Im ok, feeling better, more rested anyway, i was on my last legs i think after the dinner, lol, but it's all over now, and we still hve chicken, and I made chicken noodle soup too, with the white meat, it was tasty!! four more pieces left, but I am sure  handyman will make short work of those, either tonight, or tomorrow!!

OH,mailed out my puffys today too, so biggest squares, heads up soon, and you know, I don't know where they have postcards of the city anymore, someone said a hallmark, but so many of those around me anyways, have all closed up,Idon't know where one is that is open anymore....So, didn't get to get those for you all, but, darn it, If ever see um, im buying a bunch, lol

that is bout allfor me, tired,but feeling good other wise, sinus's have eased what with the smoke dispersing out of the area, so Im feeling more myself, that always takes a toll on my alergies!

all for now,all stay safe, and will see  you all tomorrow!!

Good Morning

Bgs,sorry to hear of your sister's fire,unless its really not in the budget,I have always thought renters insurance was affordable

we got a lot of noise but  little rain from the system that came through last evening,

Good Morning

I made it home yesterday afternoon and was missing my grandkids within a couple of hours, the house is so quiet without them. I got unpacked and took care of the cats and started smocking a little dress for a birthday gift. Today I will be washing all the dirty clothes that I brought home and working on the smocked dress. Tomorrow I'm helping my youngest daughter do some more packing, it looks like they will be closing on their new house on Friday  :yay . Guess that's about it for me. Hope everyone has a great day.

Good Morning

I made it home yesterday afternoon and was missing my grandkids within a couple of hours, the house is so quiet without them. I got unpacked and took care of the cats and started smocking a little dress for a birthday gift. Today I will be washing all the dirty clothes that I brought home and working on the smocked dress. Tomorrow I'm helping my youngest daughter do some more packing, it looks like they will be closing on their new house on Friday :yay . Guess that's about it for me. Hope everyone has a great day.

Oh, I feel that. I always feel a little bummed coming back from visiting family. It's nice to get back to our usual routine, and sleep in our own bed especially, but it always seems a bit lonely.

We had a nice visit to my grandmother's and had our family Fourth picnic. Rained all morning, but stopped in time for the picnic at least. And I was able to make some progress on the afghan for my in-laws, yay!

Good Morning

Bgs,sorry to hear of your sister's fire,unless its really not in the budget,I have always thought renters insurance was affordable

we got a lot of noise but  little rain from the system that came through last evening,

They have had some tough times due to health issues and both have been out of work off and on.  They live in a rural area and jobs are harder to come by there.  I think they were just getting back on their feet when this happened.  

Good Morning

I made it home yesterday afternoon and was missing my grandkids within a couple of hours, the house is so quiet without them. I got unpacked and took care of the cats and started smocking a little dress for a birthday gift. Today I will be washing all the dirty clothes that I brought home and working on the smocked dress. Tomorrow I'm helping my youngest daughter do some more packing, it looks like they will be closing on their new house on Friday  :yay . Guess that's about it for me. Hope everyone has a great day.

Sounds like a cute dress.  Do you use your machine to smock or do you do it by hand?

yarn_monkey have a safe and fun trip

katy a lot of our Hallmark stores have closed too----all my favorite ones

So thankful the storms died down a bit before they got to us as they took down more trees and left many without power.  More flash flooding.

hi all,

my gosh, so many storms out there, glad everyoje stayed safe! Bgs, yep, i found a place online, I can get some postcards of the city, so if nothing else, that may work out for me, I don't know how much they used to be, but they are like 1.10or so now, which still, isn't too bad, plus  stamp you know, where as the plain ones from the post office comes already stamped, lol

Beautiful day out there it is today, and if I could have days like this all year long, I would be in heaven!!!

They say the smoke is still i the air from the forest fires, can't smell it or anything, but it's there I guess.

shoulders hurt a bit today, thinking it was from working 3 scarves worth of jiffy yarn, with a big hook, I dunno know what else would do it, to tell the truth! will get pics of them maybe a bit later tonight, or tomorrow, when the sun is bright!

Brother in law had to have a toe amputated last week, had mrsa infection in it, and just had it diagnosed about a month ago, after a lot of trouble with it. Might have to have a prostetic toe, as the little toe is used so much for balance....but other than that, he is healing well.

Omg,handyman is trying to stop smoking, he has tried before, but this latest with his breathing, I think scared him straight! So, looking forward to that, as I am alergic to cig smoke too, he has never smoked near me, or in the house, but sometimes, I can smell it on him, or his jacket, and it makes me sick, so I will be glad if he can pull it off this time! I told him to get the patch, as years and years ago, that helped me tremendously to quit, and have never, nor will ever go back to it, as it seems that is when the alergy first started, was my body saying it was going to make sure I was not going to smoke ev er again, lol, thank goodness! so far, he is dong ok, but not sure if he will contiunue the good work, seems at other times, he has stopped, for three days, or more, just when it is starting to do him some good and his body starts healing, and then has started up again, for why I have no idea, he had it more than half way beat, you know, the first three days they say, murder........ I didn't have that much trouble, but then, I didn't smoke too much anyway, now and then you know, so was easy, I thought, plus the patch helped!

well the daughters inlaws got bck home, to Kansas city, but came home to floods, and such and hard times on the roads, but they got there safe and sound, and relatively unscathed by the flooding there... Sheesh.

NOthing new to report, just biding my time, hooking here and there, gonna order some dover coloring books later on, they are more umm, sophisicated coloring for adults,like flowers, and butterflies, etc, and I like to color sometimes too, when I am on a break from the hook, and most of the ones I have, I have colored a lot in them, lol       so, will do that later, and finish up a baby ghan I am using all jiffy yarn on, in pastels, turning out well, thought it might be too heavy, but it's not at all, and lovely hand to it as well, so got that to do, eat my good and plenty's that handyman got for me, (one of my favs in candy, lol) and hook awayfor a bit tongiht, so all for now, see you all later, stay safe, dry, and well!!!!!!!!!

:yay

Hey ya'll I been doing good. See everyone has been busy. So have I. I been making Crochet Roses. A friend wants me to make his wife some. Then I have other flowers to make. Assortment of flowers to do. With crochet vase. Then on top of all that. Christmas gifts. A lot to do and to plan. I will have plenty of time since I have to rest a lot. Thanks everyone for the prayers. Will be checking in soon. In between my crocheting time. Love  Arlene :ghug

Its amazing my birthday doesn't end this year yet?  lol

Thanks Yarnscrapper & Yarn_monkey for the beautiful cards and more squares

I will post a pic of everything I received as soon as Im home again.

Been between both my home & aunt's whose cancer came back, for those of you that remember.  She is refusing chemo this time.  Its so emotional sitting back waiting for her to ..........

Thanks so much or all the cards & squares it has really helped & everyone has bought a smile to my face.   I can't wait to get home and add them to my purple blanket of love.

Beautiful scarves Katy, the one in the middle is obviously a Cleveland Browns Scarf   lol  Go Cleveland...

yarn_monkey I got your package today.  Thank you so much.   The hummingbird wind chime is beautiful.  The bee spinner looks like it will be fun to watch and the gnome will have several others to meet and greet.  

post-11309-0-65882500-1436393240_thumb.jpg

katy I hope handyman is able to quit smoking.  My mom was a chain smoker and quit smoking in the house when my dad was diagnosed with copd. I really hated being trapped in the smoke filled car.  A lot of them smoked at work back in the day.  Anymore I am sick for days with congestion after I am exposed to smoke.  Yep there is much flooding and a lot of trees down in the KC area.  It has rained off and on all day today.  It's been so weird weatherwise this year.  Usually we are hot and dry right now hoping for a good rain but this year we are hoping for a spell of hot and dry.  

Hi all. Made it back from vacation late last night. We had a great time. And for someone terrified of heights, managed to brave the ride to the top of Pikes Peek and getting out and looking around and also going to the Royal Gorge, walking across the bridge and taking the Areal Train back across. Holy Jeepers I was flipping out over how high up it was. But it was amazing and so glad I got the chance to do it. Got a lot of really good pictures but will only post 1 or 2 :) don't want to flood the page will hundreds of pictures lol

oh nice shots lacey! You two are so cute together!! I would have thrown up, up that high lady!! lol That is what a true afraid of heights person would do, lol, lose my balance, or collapse goes with that as well!!!

kim and snowbear, so glad to hear from y ou both, you have been missed!!

Bgs, yep, i hope handyman quits too this time, he swears he has not smoked now for over 60 hours, ...

Viking and yarnmonkey, hope you are both doing well too!!

Bgs, that is such a cute chimes, I have one like it too, such a cute bee too!!!!

stayed near to home, cept for a trip to the grocery to get milk, and a couple other things, other than that, didn't do too much, another nice day here, before it heats up later in the week, so enjoyed it@!!

A pot of dirt i had petunias in last year, and on the shephards pole sprouted petunias! I idn't plant them, so I urdd it was seeds, it's bright red, and came on the fourth, to celebrate our freedom I guess!!

The marigolds are doing amazing, the birds and rabbits don'tbother them, and animals for the most part, don't like the way they smell, so stay away from the yard too, double plus!! NOthing deters those fat turkeys though, from prowling the yard, and sometimes, they just plop where there are in the yard, and rest for a while, lol.. Max the cat, beside himself, he hates them, too big for his taster, litterally, lol

I am so full, over did it,we made chops,and potatoes and gravy for which handyman had a hankerin' for, plus vegies,and jello with bananas and whipped cream,and I ate it all, whew...........

bout the only thing i have had all day though, so it will all be fine, once I digest a bit more.taking some ulcer p ills, as the acid again, was getting too much for me, so will take them again, for a month or two, see if that helps, it usually does,so....

Got the baby ghan i was working on, alli in jiffy yarn,done and it works up fast, but hard on the shoulders apparentlty, lol..will show a pic tomorrow, it's on the camera in the other room...

guess that is all for now, hope you are all having a good evening, and a great week, back to work, or otherwise! take care all.

Welp, more rain here. over 5" in less than 24 hours and going to rain at least half of today then I think it's nothing but blue skies for the next week or so with hot temps.

Monday night right before a big storm hit, I heard a meowing outside which was weird because there are never cats around here due to the neighbor's dogs. I opened the door and this little kitty ran straight to me. He was scratched up on his eye, hip and leg from something trying to get him. I brought him in and he started purring in my lap immediately. He acted starved when I fed him. I cleaned him up and fell in love. I used to breed cats but placed my last one for my friend (the one I moved here for) since he was allergic. Welp, he hasn't talked to me in almost 4 months after a temper fit so and I've been so down over it. This little kitty was sent into my life at just the right time. I'm not supposed to have pets in this house so yesterday I talked to the landlord and explained it to him and he said it was fine.... "Rudy" gets to stay. I think he's about 10-12 weeks old is all and just the sweetest ever. Been 3 years since I had a cat and didn't know how much I was missing it. Excuse his dirty ears, pic before bath.

Justaddglitter, a big thank you for my beautiful blue square. What kind of yarn is that? It's SO soft. :)  Thanks again.

post-44513-0-46704400-1436450967_thumb.jpg

post-44513-0-17987400-1436450985_thumb.jpg

post-44513-0-85449200-1436451020_thumb.jpg

Such a cute Kitty! I'm allergic to them also, but pics of kitties are great!!

Katy!! I got you puffie yesterday!! Thank you so much!!

It is a beautiful broch. I will post pics soon for all to see. 

Question for you ladies...How does one put a link to another page/picture in a message.

I wanted to post a baby blanket with a link, but how? LOL   :bow

Lacy, I live in Colorado right under Pikes Peak! I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation! I have done the Royal Gorge tram one time and that is enough!!

Later everyone!!

Archived