My very first Irish crochet Piece (purse)

Katchkan

I was cleaning up and reorganizing this last weekend and came across my very first piece of Irish crochet. Thought I would share it with you. It is done in Sewing thread. Yes you read right, sewing thread. Crazy wasn't I. The color is a deep burgundy. It measures 7 inches in length and 3 and 1/2 inches at the widest point. This was the first piece that I actually sewed to a piece of paper and then did the fill in lace.

FirstICPurse.jpgCloseupPurse.jpg

CloseupIC.jpg

Someday I plan on making it again only in larger thread.

Kathy that is absolutely stunning. Gorgeous!!! Have you stopped patting yourself on the back for that yet, because I think you should keep going. Beautiful!!

Thank you for your lovely comments. :day I have always wanted to share this piece with someone who cares. :D When I finished it there was no one other than DH around who even gave it a second glance. That's nice, was about all the response I got out of the people around me. I definitely run with the wrong crowd when it comes to crochet.:think

I do appreciate being able to share this part of my life with all of you that do care about crocheting. :hook

That is gorgeous! I am working my first piece in sewing thread, so I am :nworthy of you!

I thought about you and your piece when I pulled this out and knew you would appreciate it..

The only problem with using sewing thread is it doesn't have the body of real crochet thread and it doesn't hold it's shape as well. I have used extremely small crochet thread since and there is definitely a difference. But you cant get the lovely colors in the real fine thread. The closest you can get with a choice of colors is tatting thread. Even then you are limited in the color selection.

Archived