Gotta love when some people are so negative right?!

I bought some patterns awhile ago and got some from online too. I've tried many times to crochet garments like doll,dog, and baby clothes. Because I want to learn to crochet things like sweaters and stuff. I have people in my own family saying not to make those because you can't do it. I still say yes I can and someday I WILL lol. I practiced ALL the time learning new stitches and stuff..one day I'll get it all down. I may not have it right now but I'll get it lol

I second the jealously thing, and congratz on teaching yourself too! I remember way back when i did my first granny sqaure, wow once i got it, i haven't stopped making them yet! ha ha. Have you thought about joining the granny square crochet along, it's a fun way to practice sqaures, and stitches and patterns and colors together, and we'd love to have you join, here's the link right here on the ville! come and join the fun!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113104

I grew up in a very negative/abusive home, and I'm not sure it's jealousy. Some people just get off on slamming others. :angry When you hear these remarks, repeat them to yourself with one little word added on at the end. That little word is "yet."

Example: "You can't do it." ==> "I can't do it YET." See? Much better! And then, naturally, you'll want to practice, like you've said ("I can't do it YET. But I will once I practice!" :yes ).

Because we were a military family, there were no nearby family or long-term neighbors, even, to give us kids this kind of advice, so we were completely on our own dealing with the negativity and put-downs, etc., alcoholism, you name it, from our parents. That's why I can identify with what you're experiencing (unfortunately).

Please practice ahead of time with this internal dialogue, adding the word "yet" to their remarks and encouraging yourself to practice. Of course, Crochetville people are here, but we're not *there* in person. That part needs to be up to you.

I'm not sure how old you are, but you're probably still living at home? So practice mentally for the next time, when one of these Negative People says that stuff to you. Let us know how it feels. You don't need to say anything out loud to the Negative Person: just say it inside, to yourself, as a means of encouraging your own crochet (or any other skill) practice.

Best wishes for success! :)

DCM

Not everyone is going to appreciate your goals or even your talents when you reach those goals. My suggestion is to find people who will support your goals and don't bother looking for it from the people who tear you down. It took me a while to find my niche and it turned out to be crocheting toys, dolls clothes, etc. I met someone yesterday who turned up her nose at some donations I made. I guess most people don't crochet/knit toys but baby and house items in her world. Oh well, her loss. Her opinion is not going to change my interest in making donations, it may make me look for a more appreciative audience to donate them too.:lol:lol

I would just work on it quietly - no reason to give any fuel for the fire. Then when you're all finished you can say "Look what I did!"

I'll let you in on a secret - it's not as hard as it looks as long as the directions are good.

I can never understand why people would say something like this. Crocheting is not like getting an engineering degree, where you need to put in thousands of hours and tons of money. Like any skill, you get good at crochet by practicing, and it's not even a difficult skill!

Sorry you have to deal with the naysayers, but think of how great you'll feel when they see how awesome you are at it and have to eat their words. ;)

Sounds like you are doing just fine, and teaching yourself is amazing! I was shown when I was about 6 and only really got serious about it when I was expecting my 1st baby! And a variety of projects just gives you a challenge and keeps your interest going plus you will have a wonderful selection of items to show the non-believers! keep on doing what you are doing and just open your ears to the positives!

Keep practicing. There are some great videos on Youtube for all kinds of crochet. Just think, one day you will be able to make all of those things and more. Then when the naysayers come asking for you to make them one, you will be able to sit back and laugh. You'll get it, just hang in there!

I am so sorry that you had to hear that! I guess we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel on manners. Or compassion. I can't decide which one is more prevalent yet. Anyway, I hope you stick with crocheting despite the negative feedback from some people. And by the way.... Huge kudos for wanting to take on clothing garments! Especially as a self-taught crocheter. I'm totally afraid to try something so technical any time soon (self-taught too). Good luck and never forget that there are so many people here who I know would help you with any questions you have!

I had several people like that when I first started crocheting and it was hurtful...especially since I was a late bloomer (taught myself in my mid-30's as a means of keeping myself company & finding friends when we first moved to VA). And now? They send me patterns "can you make this" - hahaha.

Keep going!! We all start somewhere & I say go for it ~ you will feel so empowered!!!

Like the others have said, ignore them and keep doing your thing. They will be amazed when you accomplish what they say you can't do. I was taught simple crochet as a child. Anything fancier I have learned I have taught myself. I pick a project and try to do it. I may have to rip it out a few times to get it right but ultimately I end up learning something new.

If you want to try to make clothes pick a pattern and go for it. You'll be surprised at how well you do. Any questions there is always someone here who can help.

I agree with the others, do it on your own and then show it off. People can be so negative because 1)that is just the way they are 2) they are jealous that they can't do it themselves and 3) they just don't care.

If people tell me I can't do something, well, that makes me want to do it even more and I succeed. May take a few tries but eventually I do it.

Good luck, have fun and show us what you finish. We know you can do it!!!!!

LI Roe

Doesn't matter what their motivation is for putting you and your abilities down.

What matters is your confidence in yourself. The ladies here all have good advice, and all you need to do is smile and practice. None of us got to be as skilled as we are over night. We live in an instant gratification world, but this is something that takes time.

Get the basics down pat first, and the rest just flows...

I learned young. My Grandma always was firm about all of us learning.

Take your time, pratice your sts on easy things at first. Be patient

with yourself. AS time passes you will be able to do all the stitches and

patterns you like:cheer

i just saw on fb something about this, a photo share and it had on it in words, "when others tell you that you can't. look at them and say, 'watch me'." sorta the "yet" another said to add. you can, rome wasnt built in a day and clothes wont be either, but dedication and determination will (to quote larry the cable guy)"getter done"

i just saw on fb something about this, a photo share and it had on it in words, "when others tell you that you can't. look at them and say, 'watch me'." sorta the "yet" another said to add. you can, rome wasnt built in a day and clothes wont be either, but dedication and determination will (to quote larry the cable guy)"getter done"

I have a coffee cup I used at work & it says, "I am a child of God, and with credentials like that I can do anything." it kept me going when things got real stressful.

Years ago, I would never have thought I could make some of the things I have. I still look at some of the finished projects and say, "Wow did I really make this?" All it takes is practice and patience. That is one of the reasons I love this craft! Those who are being so negative probably cannot see themselves doing something like this so they don't believe in you either. The very best reply is to keep doing what you're doing and one day surprise them with a finished project that will knock the sock right off them! You CAN do it!

Archived