Are you a Compulsive Hoarder????

diamond

DH & I got a big kick out of this in Sunday's Parade magazine because I have a bad case of all these symptoms. I've added items in parenthesis.

SIGNS OF A COMPULSIVE HOARDER

•An excessive amount of clutter (yarn/thread/patterns/stash) that limits living space

•Difficulty categorizing & organizing items (patterns/hooks/stash)

•Holding onto possessions that seem of little or no value (remnants/small pieces of yarn/thread)

•Severe anxiety when trying to throw out an object (WIPs/UFOs)

•Trouble making decisions about possessions (GOTTA HAVE, GOTTA HAVE)

•Feeling anxious, embarrassed or depressed because of clutter (OH MAN!)

•Fears about needing items that could be thrown away (you just might NEED it one day for something!)

If you have most of these symptoms like I do, then you are a Compulsive Hoarder like me!!!

Well? Do you have any of these symptoms????? 'Fess up!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must have interviewed my hubby for that one!:devil

Actually, I am like that, but only about certain things (like my crochet stuff). So does that make me a semi-compulsive hoarder?;)

•An excessive amount of clutter (yarn/thread/patterns/stash) that limits living space

•Holding onto possessions that seem of little or no value (remnants/small pieces of yarn/thread)

•Fears about needing items that could be thrown away (you just might NEED it one day for something!)

Oh man, I'm doomed!

They must have interviewed my hubby for that one!:devil

Actually, I am like that, but only about certain things (like my crochet stuff). So does that make me a semi-compulsive hoarder?;)

I could have said the exact same thing! I'm really good about weaning things out but somethings (like yarn!) I just seem attached to. Although - I DO NOT keep those little yarn ends, they drive me nuts!!

Any of those, how about ALL of those symptoms!!! I confess, my name is kellyv and I am a horder!!! In fact my friend laughs because she knows whatever it is she is looking for I will have it! Now just where did I put it is another question! Although I only hoard craft and crochet/knitting stuff-Everything else I have no problem throwing things out. If I havent used it in 6mos to a year (unless its a holiday item) then out it goes!!

I have some signs - However my better half (DBF) or not so much better half in this instance :D IS definately a compulsive hoarder. His famous words are "I can't get rid of that I may need it ONE day"

I'm doomed! :faint

Gosh yes... :embar

Yes, hence the gosh yes above.. :embar

Not as bad about this.. is there such thing as a reformed hoarder? :think

:scared'nuff said

:blush

:ohdear

I'm getting much better about getting rid of stuff.. maybe it's more that I need help organizing clutter than worries about hoarding it? :lol

Yup, I am sick with CHD:eek I suffer from every symptom.There is not a single room in my house that is crochet free. I have hundreds of pattern books and magazines. I purchase more yarn and thread, even after I promise myself I won't buy anymore. I can't help it! I see something and I must have it.:devil So many projects, only one pair of hands. :hookDonna

DH & I got a big kick out of this in Sunday's Parade magazine because I have a bad case of all these symptoms. I've added items in parenthesis.

If you have most of these symptoms like I do, then you are a Compulsive Hoarder like me!!!

Well? Do you have any of these symptoms????? 'Fess up!!!

That's me! But not all the stuff I have to keep is mine. sounds weird. Well, my parents gave me tons of stuff. And I dont' want to be mean and just throw it away, or give it away, so I keep the things. Yep. Also, a lot of what I've got was my late dad's, and I'm pretty much his only family, so all the stuff went to me...........:angry . Yep. I am getting better though. I have gotten rid of a ton of stuff when we moved, (sadly, a lot of yarn went bye bye, becuase I thought I'd never crochet again.....weird) Every once in ahwile I'll get a box from our small storage, and sort out a box............

I'm trying to find out who told on me. I definately have all of those

symptoms(sp?)

Quote:

Um, how bad is it if you are too ashamed of the piles in your house to let anyone in? I have boxes and bags of yarn, bookshelves overflowing with patterns, it's pretty bad. I think it runs in the family though; my mother and sister are both going through a purging phase, and I am trying to do the same. I joined Freecycle so hopefully I won't feel guilty if I can give some of this stuff away to a good home.

Sandra Johnson

Yep, that's me! I have so much stuff I just can't bring myself to get rid of - not only my stuff, but my kids' stuff too. I actually went through the girls' stuff yesterday and got rid of some of it, but by looking at their room, you can't really tell.

Of course I am a hoarder!! I have a sewing room that is packed with fabric, patterns, yarn, beads,craft paint ect. I cant even get to my sewing machines without walking on fabric and patterns! Every year i tell myself that i am not going to buy any more yarn and fabric until I use up what I have.........ya right!!

Deb in cool and rainy WI

Oh yes, I have all the "symptoms" and it's not limited to crochet (which I just started)...it applies to all areas: clothing, painting, cross stitch, beading, clay...whatever it is that I decide I'd like to try...I end up collecting way too much. :D

Me too! I just can't seem to have enough patterns!! I just hoard anything called crochet pattern written on it!! Imagine I even hoard afghan patterns (justifying that someone up north would ask me for an afghan and I wouldn't have a pattern to stitch!!!)LOL

Yeah thats right I am a hoarder!!!

hugs

Vims

Oh yes, I have all the "symptoms" and it's not limited to crochet (which I just started)...it applies to all areas: clothing, painting, cross stitch, beading, clay...whatever it is that I decide I'd like to try...I end up collecting way too much. :D

OMG!!! This is SO me! Are we twins seperated at birth??? :D I've just moved from MS to TN and my parents could NOT believe how much stuff ONE person could stuff into a 3 BR house and 2 car garage. YEP, I HAVE CHD! :blush

:angel

OMG!!! This is SO me! Are we twins seperated at birth??? :D I've just moved from MS to TN and my parents could NOT believe how much stuff ONE person could stuff into a 3 BR house and 2 car garage. YEP, I HAVE CHD!

Stephanie, do you "need" to collect all the colors, lol. When I took up painting, I had to have all the colors, when I took up cross-stitch, I had to have all the colors.... As for the house...I have the same philosophy as my purse...the bigger it is the more I can put in it, lol. I live in a condo and it is packed to the rafters! :D:hook

Archived