Are you a Compulsive Hoarder????

diamond

Absolutely compulsive and getting worse! Starting to hide yarn like alcoholics hide bottles of booze! I have 15 skeins of Homespun in the back of my truck 'cause I'm too embarrassed to bring 'em in (it was in sale - how could I NOT get it?) Patterns everywhere, multiples of hooks, stitch markers, leaflets, yarn yarn yarn... It's bad.

:rofl :rofl :rofl OMgoodness! I just hid a "six pack" of Pebbles from my hubby that I got today...(It was at the Dollar store! How could I refuse??) It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't 2 cupboards in the Kitchen crammed with ceramic molds, paints, tools etc... and a 6 ft shelf covered in scrapbook supplies...Did someone say yarn??:drool

Traci

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ONLY with needlework and jewelry making stuff, otherwise if I haven't used it in 6 months out it goes!

My mom is a hoarder and always was even before the Alzheimers. She still has towels and shoes I remember from high school! And I graduated in 1969!

Margarine tubs, empty tomato cans, you name it, she saves it.

NOT ME! I am a brutal dumper!

Except for my my precious spare room which is filled top to bottom with yarn, beads and other crafty paraphernalia.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Compulsive hoader sounds so.... so.....harsh. I tend to tell myself that its my "Im going to get around to using it someday stuff" or my "I have a project in mind for it" but I usually forget what it was years from now. Usually people around here call it being a pack rat but I am picky about what I "hoard". I dont hoard food, or animals, or people or anything that requires constant care so I guess Im ok. lol

• 2 weeks later...
SIGNS OF A COMPULSIVE HOARDER

•An excessive amount of clutter (yarn/thread/patterns/stash) that limits living space

•Difficulty categorizing & organizing items (patterns/hooks/stash)

•Holding onto possessions that seem of little or no value (remnants/small pieces of yarn/thread)

•Severe anxiety when trying to throw out an object (WIPs/UFOs)

•Trouble making decisions about possessions (GOTTA HAVE, GOTTA HAVE)

•Feeling anxious, embarrassed or depressed because of clutter (OH MAN!)

•Fears about needing items that could be thrown away (you just might NEED it one day for something!)

:2blush III'mmmmmmmmm in trouble..... :P

:yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn

i absolutely have this syndrome and i am currently NOT seeking treatment. i do have good organizational skills (thanks to a DH who takes clutter as a personal challenge)

p.s. that little part about holding onto things of no value... well i have a piece of very expensive yarn that is about 8 inches long and was the only very tiny remnant left i had of said very expensive ball. i just feel like i cant throw it away, if i calculate it out that piece is worth .08!!

I can honestly say that I am a neat freak, which drives my husband crazy, so I don't have these symptoms. I do have a ton of yarn and patterns but they are all in large tubs in a closet. I am manic about things being in there place so I am on the other end of the extreme. My next project is to catergorize all yarn and patterns, that will probably be tonight. Now if any of you hoarders want to get rid of some of that stash, I am sure that many of us would be happy to take it off your hands........hehehe

I guess that I'm a compulsive hoarder as well, I always want to buy new yarn and collect more patterns and such and my room is usually filled with clutter.

crap, there's a NAME for what i am??? doesn't that mean that i officially need treatment or something? that's so not good. well i'll start by admitting it. my name is lisa and i am a compulsive yarn hoarder. i have 3 tubs full of yarn. i have a really bad habit of going to craft stores and buying crazy amounts of yarn just because i want them. (i usually have a plan for the yarn though). i got a job at michael's to see if i could find fellow yarn lovers and for the discount, of course. i've scoped out every craft store that carries yarn within a 50some mile radius of where i live. i drag my fiance to these places way too much. doesn't make him happy.

i love yarn, knitting, crocheting, and shopping. they are my stress relievers. they make me happy. i may be a compulsive hoarder but so what?! everyone has there quirks. i'm proud!!!

Jimmi Lu........ lol made me think of when my Mother died in 1993....... my daughters were helping me go through her stuff...... I looked at them and said.... what will you do when I die? the oldest looked at me and said..... get a dumptruck!! LOL I live in TX now and the youngest daughter lives here too, anyway, hmmmmpf she will have fun selling all my yarn lol Yes I hoard stuff but ummm errrrrrrr i am an organized pack rat!

I didn't read all 70-some odd replies to this post, but thought I would throw in some help.

First off, I used to be the world's worst at keeping something "because I might need it later." It's an addiction, fueled by the fact that a lot of stuff I had were things that belonged to my mom (long story, but she died in a car accident when I was 15 and it felt like if I got rid of some of the stuff, I was...you know?). Anyway...

Now I fit in the category of "only certain things am I a hoarder about." Yarn is one of them! The other is books, but with moving 3 or 4 times this year, I weeded out and got rid of about 8 *BIG* boxes <cringe>. (And then went to a book store yesterday and bought 2 more books, one of which I already own 2 copies of, but they are currently located in other states and I want to read the book again NOW). Although I have never finished a project (ok, so one small hat) from a pattern, I snatch up crochet pattern books every chance I get--ya never know, one of these days I might actually crochet well enough that I don't frog the project after 3 rows!

Here's the help: A book! I know, I know...I'm addicted! The book is called "Clutter's Last Stand". I read it like 3 or 4 years ago, right before I moved out of California and had to move all the stuff half way across the country. Read it, learn it, use it. It has really good advice on how to get rid of things, and helps eliminate the excuses we make to keep them.

Now, if I could just get my boyfriend to realize that we really don't need *HIS* junk!!! (There's a broken bell in this house since we moved in...it was broke when it got here, he broke it again the other day, and it's still sitting on the sideboard...after I picked it up off the floor because he didn't after he knocked it off!:angry ). GRRRR!!! Sorry for the venting!

Back to the point...read the book! :cheer

Archived