Knitters, Crochet, and attitudes

There is a LYS in my town but, I can buy quite a few of the same brands online and pay less even after shipping. The closest JoAnn's (new store) to my house is 60+ miles in another town. The next closest is over 100 miles away. I do get to visit one or the other about every 3 months so online shopping (if Wal-Mart does not have it) are my only options.

The LYS owner is nice enough and I do use it in a pinch, regardless of price, but she is limited on her store size and inventory.

• 3 weeks later...

I come from a family of knitters, I taught myself with some help from my Aunt to knit and crochet a few years ago and crochet stuck better than knitting. So I have no bias. In fact with Mom's help there are projects we can complete together because some doll or toy projects are knit other are crocheted so we work on our specialties.

The box stores don't carry many of the lighter weight yarns I need for my doll's clothes so I was excited to try the local yarn store. While I knew the cost would be higher, I would save on shipping so I was willing to support the local business. It was a terrible experience. The attitude towards crocheting and the idea of toys instead of clothing was horrific. Why these people cared what I was making or what tools I was making it with confused me. Considering the economy, I would think they would be happy to sell the expensive yarn to a customer who would have been a regular if treated with basic customer service. I was not expecting them to roll out the red carpet, but I have spoken to others since who have had equally bad service there. The idea seems to be that you will work to fit into the clique. Membership has its priveledges?

Sorry but the Internet provides me with better options and selections for the yarn I can't purchase locally at the box stores.

As an owner of a small crafts store; I have to say that I have more crocheters than knitters. I mostly stock the acrylics; thats what people in my area want. I can and do special order other yarn from a catalog for those who want something I don't normally carry.

I have a favorite LYS that caters both to knitters and crocheters. Their selection was amazing and their prices were reasonable (got some fantastic wool blend balls for $2 a piece on clearance). The only problem: it's 130 miles from my house. :P

If I have a special project that requires the more specialized yarns, I will go to the LYS near where I work. It's not bad, and pretty friendly toward crocheters, though the selection does seem to be a bit on the pricey side. Otherwise, I'm usually going to the chain craft stores. I too do a lot of charity crochet, and less expensive yarns allow me to do more.

• 3 weeks later...

Through a sequence of searches and links late this afternoon, I fell over this stunning / tremendous / insightful article at ChezCrochet about the possible underpinnings of the historically "less than" attitude toward crocheters by knitters. (I hasten to add that the author believes that there is hope for the future!)

I have more than a passing interest in history of all kinds. The history of the fiber arts is worthy of its own research, as has finally been realized in the past three, perhaps four, decades (judging by copyright dates). Anyone who hasn't discovered the books of Prof. Elizabeth Wayland Barber (Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years; Prehistoric Textiles; The Mummies of Ürümchi) has many delights in store.

Before the 1970s, there were very few published works, even within the museum world, re. textiles or other fiber work. Now, not only books but monographs, curated collections and exhibits with detailed descriptions of the provenance of each item, and scholarly as well as lay analyses of pre-industrial methods of spinning, weaving, dyeing, knitting, needlework, quilting, and other textile-related skills become available in dizzying numbers on a regular basis--more each month than were previously produced in a year. When these means aren't fast enough, blogs step into the gap. :yay

I do not accept 100% of what the author of the linked article says, but I do accept over 90% of her hypotheses and premises. Which is highly unusual, but she--like I--has done her homework. :yes

Give it a whirl!

DCM

I've noticed that although my local LYS tends to have less selection, it is nice being able to talk to the owners or employees about what I'm working on. When I go into Hobby Lobby, if I attempt to ask anything more in-depth than the brand name of the yarn, the employees look at me like I've just asked them to solve an algorithm. With no calculator.

But, on the con side, my LYS is also expensive, has less selection, and although the owners and employees don't seem biased at all, the people the frequent the store are. There was a group of women knitting when I went in to buy yarn for a wall doily I was working on for friends, and when I said I wanted the yarn to crochet with, they all gave me death stares.

So there is that attitude that knitting is somehow better, but honestly? I find it frustrating and I really need to want that project if I'm going to knit it. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I crochet for charity etc 99% of the time too. I buy from the big box stores out of necessity. Most of my work is done in cotton or acrylic out of cost considerations. I even made my dd a sweater out of Homespun!!

I have been to several LYS and find the employees to be knitting snobs to be perfectly honest. If I had a lot of money to spend on unique yarns, I would. I would make stuff out of wool and the other yarns that LYS has to offer. But it is cost prohibitive when crocheting for charity.

Through a sequence of searches and links late this afternoon, I fell over this stunning / tremendous / insightful article at ChezCrochet about the possible underpinnings of the historically "less than" attitude toward crocheters by knitters. (I hasten to add that the author believes that there is hope for the future!)

I have more than a passing interest in history of all kinds. The history of the fiber arts is worthy of its own research, as has finally been realized in the past three, perhaps four, decades (judging by copyright dates). Anyone who hasn't discovered the books of Prof. Elizabeth Wayland Barber (Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years; Prehistoric Textiles; The Mummies of Ürümchi) has many delights in store.

Before the 1970s, there were very few published works, even within the museum world, re. textiles or other fiber work. Now, not only books but monographs, curated collections and exhibits with detailed descriptions of the provenance of each item, and scholarly as well as lay analyses of pre-industrial methods of spinning, weaving, dyeing, knitting, needlework, quilting, and other textile-related skills become available in dizzying numbers on a regular basis--more each month than were previously produced in a year. When these means aren't fast enough, blogs step into the gap. :yay

I do not accept 100% of what the author of the linked article says, but I do accept over 90% of her hypotheses and premises. Which is highly unusual, but she--like I--has done her homework. :yes

Give it a whirl!

DCM

I will say the author missed the toy trend. One of my reasons for learning crochet was my friends all had cool doll clothes and my Mom had no knit patterns for my dolls. Since she couldn't crochet it meant limited outfits. I started crocheting to make doll's clothes for my nieces' Barbies and their 18" dolls. Later I moved into making Amigurumi's and other types of toys. I doubt many people would classify those as "practical" projects. Although at the cost of buying the 18" clothes there is a significant cost savings.:lol

I have made some practical items for the house, but few clothing items. Based on the number of Amigurumi patterns being produced, I can't imagine the focus is only on items for the home with a practical use.

that's kind of sad. I've been crocheting since I was 7 and i'm only 27, and mom always got her stuff at a Big Box Store because there were no LYS around. I spend a ton of money at Michaels, Joann's and Wally world on acrylics. that's the only yarn I have ever used. But one day I would like to go into a LYS just too look around.

Where I work there is a community room that a group of knitters go to on Saturdays. When the boss was showing them around the store (grocery). He said to me " these ladies are going to be here to knit, why don't you join them.". When I said I crochet, one looked down her nose at me and said "There is another group for them.". I told them I was in a group that lets everyone in.

Where I work there is a community room that a group of knitters go to on Saturdays. When the boss was showing them around the store (grocery). He said to me " these ladies are going to be here to knit, why don't you join them.". When I said I crochet, one looked down her nose at me and said "There is another group for them.". I told them I was in a group that lets everyone in.

A group that includes all fiber crafters is the best kind! That is the kind I belong to. When we were starting out I didn't really knit, but in a small town it seemed that if we excluded people we'd never have much of a group;) I don't do needlepoint or quilting, but I sure do enjoy seeing others' creations, and often I can learn from them too.

It's too bad anyone chooses to look down their nose at another. Sounds like your boss had it more together than the I-only-associate-with-knitters person!

A group that includes all fiber crafters is the best kind! That is the kind I belong to. When we were starting out I didn't really knit, but in a small town it seemed that if we excluded people we'd never have much of a group;) I don't do needlepoint or quilting, but I sure do enjoy seeing others' creations, and often I can learn from them too.

It's too bad anyone chooses to look down their nose at another. Sounds like your boss had it more together than the I-only-associate-with-knitters person!

I love watching other crafters at work. I may never do it, but it doesn't mean you can't appreciate it.

My Mom knits and I crochet. I am always sending her patterns/books to make stuff for grandkids, donations, etc. I get excited when I find something new for her to try that I know she'll love. I never understood why there is such an attitude one way or another.

I've shopped mainly at big box stores bc I can't afford the yarn at an LYS much as I'd love to try some of those yarns. Also the one LYS I visited gave me attitude. I went in to basically just look around and see what they had, I was wearing a crocheted tank I had made. The owner approached me to start up a conversation which I really liked, then she asked "are you a knitter?" I told her that I have knitted some but I'm really a crocheter, the response I got was "Oh" and that was essentially the end of the conversation as she walked away to help someone with a knitting pattern. Looking at the schedule of classes and "Meet and stitch" groups, in the entire month there was only one crochet time. Apparently this was an issue for one of the co-owners, who then left to open another LYS in town that was Fiber Arts friendly to anyone, they had classes and get together groups for any fiber art you could think of. Unfortunately we moved b4 I was able to visit them and I have yet to locate any LYS's here in St. Louis though I'm sure there are some

I love my LYS. Both the owner & the gal who works there are so incredibly helpful and friendly. I can't knit and and am always admiring the projects the gal works on. She, too, is always interested in knowing about my latest projects. She even offered to teach me to knit. All I have to do is show up with some yarn and knitting needles. Is it more expensive to shop there? Yes. But I buy from them because I want to help them stay in business and mostly because they are wonderful people. .... I also buy from other stores when cost becomes a factor.

For the type of projects I do (mainly charity items), I need to shop at the "box stores" and also online when there are sales and free shipping so I don't patronize LYS's. There is one in the next town over that I have passed on occasion but haven't had the time to stop in and browse.

There is a young care manager (maybe late teens, early 20's) in the Alzheimers unit where my mom resides and a couple of weeks ago she asked if I knew where she could find a particular color of RHSS since she is doing an afghan for her full size bed since she knew I crocheted and she was having trouble finding it. I not only had the color she was looking for but I eventually found more at a local Wal-mart and picked up whatever they had. I said to her that I was thrilled to see her crochet and she just smiled and said she has gotten comments that she "crochets" and isn't it just for older people. She didn't care, she loves it. And the life enrichment manager also on mom's unit also crochets and she will turn 22 at the end of July and she basically self taught herself.

Makes me happy to see the younger generation get involved in crocheting and they are very proud of it.

LI Roe

I've seen the knit/crochet thing in LYS. I never did get it. I taught myself to crochet 6(?) years ago because revisiting knitting was just frustrating. I've knitted since I was 5 or 6, but just scarves and washcloths. I wanted to make a blanket, and the thought of knitting it was...overwhelming.

I will say most of my personal LYS experiences have been quite positive or I'd have given up. The oddest? LYS experience(s) happen at WEBS. I swear the same woman is there no matter when I go, and she's always the one who is nearby for questions. Unfortunately...she's crochet-clueless. The first time I asked where the crochet books were, she took me to the stand and had to look to find them! And they have quite a few! ::shrugs:: At least they have multiple crochet classes, in addition to the knitting, weaving, spinning ...I think one other craft....classes! :)

Wow, I find all this fascinating. I grew up crocheting, learned from Grandma, but was taught basic knitting from a neighbor who used to sit outside knitting with Grandma, they had no problem with the other's form of making textiles. I did notice thought that alot of the type of craft was related to where all the grandma's came from. We lived in a neighborhood we lovingly called the little united nations as (at that time) the neighborhood houses were fairly new, and all the residents immigrants and their families.

It seemed that knitting was more popular with the residents from one part of the world, while the other areas were more into crochet.

But they all sat out together on the porches at night working their crafts without any hostility at all.

As for LYS stores there was only one I found local to my area, and quite frankly I found their prices were higher than the Joann's, Michael's and ACMoore stores. And that was for natural yarns. I think wool is wool, no matter what store it was purchased in, or how much it cost, so why not save a dollar or two if you can?

Could also be crocheters spend more on yarn because they are faster and produce more items? :lol

For me, there's a very simple difference: knitters don't knit afghans as often as we crocheters crochet them. It would simply take forever (or near enough) to knit an afghan for a queen-sized bed, so most people who knit and crochet lean towards crochet for these larger pieces as a matter of simple efficiency. Thus, we often use cheaper yarn for these projects and more of it - I can't afford to crochet a huge afghan in merino wool. I can afford to knit a pullover in it, though.

• 4 weeks later...

This was really interesting for me to read, the article on ChezCrochet too. I had NO idea about any of this attitude towards crocheters. I bought knitting needles, crochet hooks and yarn before Christmas last year as I wanted to learn at least one so that I could have something to do while my eyes were healing from laser eye surgery. At that time, I picked up knitting quicker, and also found it much easier to do with my eyes closed. Once my eyes healed, I was too busy to actually make something and just forgot about it all.

In June this year I wanted to buy something crocheted but didn't have a tape measure to see how long I wanted it... :laughroll then I thought I could just do it myself, so I pulled out my stuff and got started. I sort of started crocheting by fluke, as I could have just as easily found something knitted that I liked, but as I've seen more and gotten more familiar with things I really like the look of most crocheted things over those that are knitted.

Archived