Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Good morning.

Marlene, glad you made it safely home. It is pouring rain here, and lots of thunder and lightening. Hope it's a little better where you are.

Enjoy your visit with Maya and Dd this weekend.

Joanne, I always sleep until the alarm, so I rarely have time to check in before work. Are you still working on that same project? Hugs to your Dd. it's good she is able to talk about it.

Mary, how is your dad?

Linda, you are obviously a fantastic employee. Your employer is a good judge of character, since she already trusts you with so much responsibility. Are you enjoying the job?

My plans for today include cleaning, crafting and a quick trip to the grocery store on the corner. They have 90% lean ground beef for $2.99 a pound today only. Around here that is a fantastic price. Grilling season is here, so I plan to make a bunch of h.amburger patties.

I started a knit scarf yesterday. It uses a technique that I haven't tried before, dropping stitches. It's actually a shawl pattern, I just cast on fewer stitches to make it a scarf. I have about 30 inches finished. I read on Ravellry that it stretches both in width and length when you unravel the dropped stitches. Unfortunately, it isn't clear how much it will stretch in length, so I plan to do at least 5 feet, before I stop. I can't see it stretching much in length, unless I block it like crazy, and I'm not sure acrylic would hold a block anyhow.

http://knit-fish.blogspot.com/2008/12/sunday-market-shawl.html

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning all!  A rough night last night.  At least the tornadoes that did form weren't that big and I don't think anyone got hurt.  There were several but none in the metro area.  All we had was lots of thunderstorms with lots and lots of lightning and lots of rain (which we really need). 

PT was horrible yesterday, but my knee is now straight at 13 degrees--still a lot of work to do.  He's going to see about a brace to wear at night that will help straighten it.  I'll find out more tomorrow.

Marlene glad you made it home safe.  Enjoy your time with Maya this weekend!

Joanne - hope things are going well for you this week at Paradise.

Cindy - looking forward to seeing your scarf. 

Linda - glad things went well at work!

Well, I just got a call from work, phones aren't working so I have to go in and figure out what's wrong :(

Have a good day all!

Good morning housemates!

As of right now we have a beautiful sunny day.  There is the possiblity of scattered thunderstorms.  We didn't get the rain that Linda got last night.  We have a 20% chance today and 100% tomorrow.

Marlene, so glad you had safe travels.  It was nice that you got to see SIL & MIL.  Maya is going to be soooo happy to see you this weekend.  Is it warm enough as your house or did you go home to coldness?  I bought one of those little $5 crochet booklets from Walmart with 11 patterns for crochet booties.  It has sandals, high top sneakers, booties, etc.  I didn't realize it said "crochet thread booties".  I'm trying to make the Mary Janes.  I wish I knew how to alter like Cindy and I would still make them out of acrylic.

Cindy, I'm looking forward to seeing your new scarf.  $2,99 a pound for ground beef is a deal here as well.

Linda, we didn't get last night's rain.  I guess we're not far enough North.  I hope it helps with your allergies.

Sherry, it sounds like they put everything on you.  I've been there and done that.  If I had to do it over again, I would make sure everyone is cross-trained.  People appear helpless when they know they have a go to person that will get it done.  Trust me, if you had to leave there for any reason, they would carry on.  Don't overwork yourself...make them take responsibility for when you're on your downtime.  I lost many off days and vacations trying to do it all.

Mary, Marisa, Joanne and all the house, I hope you're having a great day.

BBL!

I've been up for a while but just got on the internet.  As Val said, it's a beautiful sunny day with blue skies and warm temps. 

Good morning.

Linda, you are obviously a fantastic employee. Your employer is a good judge of character, since she already trusts you with so much responsibility. Are you enjoying the job?

I'm enjoying the job tremendously.  It was neat that she trusted me enough to let me do it even though this was only my 4th day on the job and technically still in training.  But I had successfully done the reports and closed the system the last time and she had given me a store key yesterday and the security code.  It really wasn't bad.  It's a fun place to work because every customer seems so very pleased with what we carry and the prices we charge.  One lady tried on about a dozen dresses yesterday and didn't buy any, but sure had fun while there.  I suspect we'll see her again.

My plans for today include cleaning, crafting and a quick trip to the grocery store on the corner. They have 90% lean ground beef for $2.99 a pound today only. Around here that is a fantastic price. Grilling season is here, so I plan to make a bunch of h.amburger patties.
That is a good price on ground beef.
I started a knit scarf yesterday. It uses a technique that I haven't tried before, dropping stitches. It's actually a shawl pattern, I just cast on fewer stitches to make it a scarf. I have about 30 inches finished. I read on Ravellry that it stretches both in width and length when you unravel the dropped stitches. Unfortunately, it isn't clear how much it will stretch in length, so I plan to do at least 5 feet, before I stop. I can't see it stretching much in length, unless I block it like crazy, and I'm not sure acrylic would hold a block anyhow.
http://knit-fish.blogspot.com/2008/12/sunday-market-shawl.html

Looking forward to seeing this when it's done.

Good Morning all!  A rough night last night.  At least the tornadoes that did form weren't that big and I don't think anyone got hurt.  There were several but none in the metro area.  All we had was lots of thunderstorms with lots and lots of lightning and lots of rain (which we really need). 

I'm so glad that you were safe.

PT was horrible yesterday, but my knee is now straight at 13 degrees--still a lot of work to do.  He's going to see about a brace to wear at night that will help straighten it.  I'll find out more tomorrow.

Getting it straight is hard.  Hope the brace helps if you get it.

Well, I just got a call from work, phones aren't working so I have to go in and figure out what's wrong :(

Have a good day all!

Wow!  You are definitely the go-to gal at work.

Good morning housemates!

As of right now we have a beautiful sunny day.  There is the possiblity of scattered thunderstorms.  We didn't get the rain that Linda got last night.  We have a 20% chance today and 100% tomorrow.

I bought one of those little $5 crochet booklets from Walmart with 11 patterns for crochet booties.  It has sandals, high top sneakers, booties, etc.  I didn't realize it said "crochet thread booties".  I'm trying to make the Mary Janes.  I wish I knew how to alter like Cindy and I would still make them out of acrylic.

Just take your time and you'll do fine. :cheer   :cheer 

Sherry, it sounds like they put everything on you.  I've been there and done that.  If I had to do it over again, I would make sure everyone is cross-trained.  People appear helpless when they know they have a go to person that will get it done.  Trust me, if you had to leave there for any reason, they would carry on.  Don't overwork yourself...make them take responsibility for when you're on your downtime.  I lost many off days and vacations trying to do it all.

My ex-husband was the go-to programmer at work.  It meant that he was always on call.  You need time for yourself, so be careful how much you do.

Mary, Marisa, Joanne and all the house, I hope you're having a great day.

BBL!

The April Charity CAL started today, so I'm planning on working on prayer shawls and maybe some baby blanket squares the next six days.  I started one in Olive Homespun yesterday.  Hopefully I can get that one done and maybe more.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.  :ghug 

Good almost evening ladies :hi

I did laundry this morning.  Treat a patient, went out for lunch then came back to do up paperwork.  It's in the 80s here today!  I think it's supposed to rain again too.  I have the KtB group here tonight joining bits and pieces.

Val  - glad you're getting some sun before the rain continues.

Linda - I hope your allergies calm down!  Great job working alone and doing a great job at it!

Cindy - Glad your dd's laundry detergent works well.  You're going to have a great knit scarf with that pattern.  Great buys at the market. 

Joanne - My mom is currently on her 3rd :think opinion!  I think our next step is to try to talk her into coming out here to see someone.

Marlene - So glad you made it home safely.  Maya will be so excited to see you!

Sherry - Glad nobody got hurt with the tornados.  I had to chuckle about the phones not working...how did they call you to tell you that :think

Marisa - they used my DD cell phone.  :sigh  I thought something was wrong with her.  I know if I get a call before 8 a.m. it's usually a problem with either my girls or work.

Valerie - Unfortunately I am the only one in the church  (except the pastor) and everything falls to me.  It was horrible while I was off with my surgery.  They called every day, several times a day.  If I quit/retire, they will have to hire someone else and load them down with everything. 

Glad tomorrow is Friday except that it's PT day.  :(   I know it's good for me but I sure do hurt after it's over.  Still need to find ankle weights--Walmart didn't have the weight I needed and I haven't had the time to go anywhere else yet.  I'm sure we'll get them this weekend.

Well, I need to go and do some PT exercises!!  Everyone have a great evening!  Hugs to all.

Hi Ladies,

Cindy, Great price on the burger. It was a rainy day and a stormy night and a rainy day all over. 

Val, Booties from thread are going to be beautiful. I think www.bevscountrycottage.com may have a chart for booties. If you knew what size you wanted to make (say 6 month old and it was so many inches) you could use baby yarn and a small hook and do the foot area to the length for a 6 month old. It may take some playing around with but I'm sure you would figure it out. Be sure and write it down when you do.

Sherry, I hope the brace will help your knee. It's to bad work falls on you. Glad you were safe with the tornadoes.

Linda, You should be cloned. Many employers would love to have an employee like you. 

Marisa, I hope your Mom gets some answers soon. Maybe a doctor in your area would be able to help her. I hope you fun with your  KtB group tonight.

Joanne, Yeah tomorrow is friday and hopefully you will have the weekend off.

I came to DD's tonight. Hubby stayed home and is watching the sump pump. Are property sits on a sloop so all the rain runs down on us. We have a crawl space and it is full of water. The septic and holding tank are full to. The pond next to the golf course across the street from us was to the top of its banks yesterday and today it is flooded into someones yard. I don't know how long it will take for things to settle down, but I do know we don't need any more rain for awhile. 

Maya was happy to see me but of course she wishes grandpa and daisy would of came to. She and DD loved there ruffle scarves. We listened to here audio book before bedtime then we cuddled. 

DD's birthday is next week and she wants a cheesecake for her birthday. So I will make one this weekend. 

Hope everyone has a great friday!

Just checking in- it was a very long day- and not just with work. My middle DD found out her bf was cheating on her- so suffice to say she is devastated. She's at my house for the night and I'll drive her to work tomorrow (which is about an hour from here) and then head on in  to work myself.  She just started the teaching job so can't miss a day. She went to work today on very little sleep-but focused on the kids and it kept her going. My heart is heavy because her heart is broken. Hoping that she sleeps well tonight. I'll leave work at 3 so i can pick her up after work.

Please keep her in your thoughts as she begins the healing process. She feels like she'll never trust anyone again right now.

I'm off to catch a few zz's myself.

Hope everyone has a good night and a great day tomorrow.  We're supposed to get more rain starting sometime tonight and continuing on into tormorrow.  Oh, well, at least it will wash more pollen from the air.

Hi Ladies,

Linda, You should be cloned. Many employers would love to have an employee like you. 
:lol   :lol   :lol   I'm not so sure of that, but thank you very much. 

I came to DD's tonight. Hubby stayed home and is watching the sump pump. Are property sits on a sloop so all the rain runs down on us. We have a crawl space and it is full of water. The septic and holding tank are full to. The pond next to the golf course across the street from us was to the top of its banks yesterday and today it is flooded into someones yard. I don't know how long it will take for things to settle down, but I do know we don't need any more rain for awhile. 
Maya was happy to see me but of course she wishes grandpa and daisy would of came to. She and DD loved there ruffle scarves. We listened to here audio book before bedtime then we cuddled. 
DD's birthday is next week and she wants a cheesecake for her birthday. So I will make one this weekend. 
Hope everyone has a great friday!

Oh, my gosh!  Hope the sump pump keeps up with the water.  And hoping the rain lets people get a break and recover before dumping any more on you.  :hug 

Just checking in- it was a very long day- and not just with work. My middle DD found out her bf was cheating on her- so suffice to say she is devastated. She's at my house for the night and I'll drive her to work tomorrow (which is about an hour from here) and then head on in  to work myself.  She just started the teaching job so can't miss a day. She went to work today on very little sleep-but focused on the kids and it kept her going. My heart is heavy because her heart is broken. Hoping that she sleeps well tonight. I'll leave work at 3 so i can pick her up after work.

Please keep her in your thoughts as she begins the healing process. She feels like she'll never trust anyone again right now.

Oh, NO!!!!!  I'm so sorry.  She'll be in my prayers for sure.  :hug That is such a devastating discovery.  Not all guys are like that though and I hope she'll be brave enough to give someone else a chance later, after some healing time of course.

Oh no! Your poor dd. I know she is devastated, but I bet mom hurts badly for her daughter as well. Sending hugs to both of you. It will take time and effort for her to trust again, but with time, and maybe the right person, I hope it will happen. If this keeps her from another relationship, then he's hurt her twice. Besides, he's the loser here, not your Dd.

Hope both of you do okay through the day.

Joanne - so sorry to hear about DD.  Will be praying for her.  Glad she was able to be with you.

Today we remember the 168 killed and all those that were injured the Oklahoma City bombing 18 years ago.  It was such a sad day here that day.  Such cruelty and devastation.  Each year we have a remembrance and this year the security is high.  Families were changed forever that day and it's still a hard day for all of us.  And this is also the anniversary of my daddy's death 31 years ago.  I miss him every day but I know that he's in heaven. 

Prayers for those in Boston are also being said.  This is a very sad week for a lot of people.

Good morning everyone. It is not raining at the moment, but, like Marlene says, flooding in the area is really bad. I heard that it is currently a "once in a generation" type of flooding, but the rivers are predicted to crest late Monday, and they will then be at a 100 year high. I drove over the river yesterday, and it appears to be at least three times it's normal width. Currently it is just really windy. We live on a hill, so flooding is not a problem for us.

Marlene, I'm so sorry that you came home to such a mess. Although its probably a good thing that hubby is watching the sump pump. What a mess if it failed. Hope you are enjoying your visit with dd and Maya.

Marisa, how did MTB meeting go. A crafty friend sent me a link to the blog a few days ago. She hadn't heard of such a thing before, and was really intrigued.

Val, and Linda, hope the rain gives those allergies a rest.

Sherry, hope today's PT session is a good one, and that there is less pain involved. Hope it is a safe day in Oklahoma City today.

I did not accomplish everything I was planning yesterday. I forgot that I had a meeting at work in the afternoon, until about an hour before it was time to go. I did get 15 pounds of the ground beef and spent an hour or two getting it ready for the freezer. I made 22 burgers, 2 large meat loaves, browned three pounds and froze the rest in 1 pound packages. All that and clean up pretty much used up my morning. So, today, I'll work on cleaning.

We are going to dinner and a documentary/travel show on San Francisco with friends tonight. Not sure what to expect regarding the documentary, but we'll see. It was only $6 a ticket, so it's pretty cheap entertainment. One of the local universities is doing "The Taming of the Shrew" this weekend, and I would rather see that, but I was outvoted. Another one is doing "Anne of Green Gables" which also appeals to me, but not at all to Dh.

Just listened to the news and heard they are chasing the second Boston bombing suspect. My nephew lives in Waltham which is the next town over from Waterton where all the action is. He says they are in lockdown. Joanne, hope your Boston DD is far from the action. Pray for everyone's safety, particularly law enforcement people and residents of the area.

Good morning, everyone.  It's raining steadily and has been for some time from the look of things outside.  :rain  Even Sweet Pea didn't want to spend much time in it.  She did her duty and got back under the porch and shook herself off.  With it being so wet out there, I'm planning on spending my time today reading and crafting.  I did place a bid on another Turkish drop spindle on eBay yesterday and ordered some fiber from one of the vendors to try out: 4 oz of 50/50 blended yak and silk roving, some glitz fiber to add to the roving I already have, and 4 oz of 70/30 wool and silk roving.  (Roving is the fibers that are combed and/or carded and ready to spin.)  I got an email that the fiber has already been put in the mail this morning, and an apology for it taking so long.  I thought it was super fast response actually. :think 

Joanne - so sorry to hear about DD.  Will be praying for her.  Glad she was able to be with you.

Today we remember the 168 killed and all those that were injured the Oklahoma City bombing 18 years ago.  It was such a sad day here that day.  Such cruelty and devastation.  Each year we have a remembrance and this year the security is high.  Families were changed forever that day and it's still a hard day for all of us.  And this is also the anniversary of my daddy's death 31 years ago.  I miss him every day but I know that he's in heaven. 

Hope there is no more violence today, Sherry.  Hugs to you and all those grieving today.  :ghug 

Prayers for those in Boston are also being said.  This is a very sad week for a lot of people.

Good morning everyone. It is not raining at the moment, but, like Marlene says, flooding in the area is really bad. I heard that it is currently a "once in a generation" type of flooding, but the rivers are predicted to crest late Monday, and they will then be at a 100 year high. I drove over the river yesterday, and it appears to be at least three times it's normal width. Currently it is just really windy. We live on a hill, so flooding is not a problem for us.
Oh, dear!  Prayers for all those affected.  :ghug 
Marlene, I'm so sorry that you came home to such a mess. Although its probably a good thing that hubby is watching the sump pump. What a mess if it failed. Hope you are enjoying your visit with dd and Maya.

I did not accomplish everything I was planning yesterday. I forgot that I had a meeting at work in the afternoon, until about an hour before it was time to go. I did get 15 pounds of the ground beef and spent an hour or two getting it ready for the freezer. I made 22 burgers, 2 large meat loaves, browned three pounds and froze the rest in 1 pound packages. All that and clean up pretty much used up my morning. So, today, I'll work on cleaning.
Sounds like you got a whole lot accomplished and the freezer stocked up with lots of goodies.
We are going to dinner and a documentary/travel show on San Francisco with friends tonight. Not sure what to expect regarding the documentary, but we'll see. It was only $6 a ticket, so it's pretty cheap entertainment. One of the local universities is doing "The Taming of the Shrew" this weekend, and I would rather see that, but I was outvoted. Another one is doing "Anne of Green Gables" which also appeals to me, but not at all to Dh.

My vote would be "The Tamining of the Shrew."  Too bad that I live too far away to go with you.  Hope the documentary is a good one.

I'm going to grab a mug of hot tea and settle in with my book and crafts.  Have a good Friday!  :manyheart   

Good morning housemates!

Marlene, I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with flooding.  I hope you the rain subsides and spare you any additional problems.  I know Maya was elated to see you.  Enjoy your weekend with your girls.

Joanne, I'm so sorry for your DD's betrayal...lifting her up in prayer.  Have you heard from your DD in Boston.  She's in my prayers and thoughts and they try to apprehend the other suspect.  I hope you got some rest last night.

Cindy, You did well with the beef.  I'll be remembering your nephew in prayer today as well.  I love Anne (with an E) of Green Gables.  Enjoy your time out tonight with friends.

Sherry, Lifting you and your fellow statemans up in prayer.  I'm sorry you have to endure the pt...praying you get relief.  I have an Aunt that cut her finger and refused to do the pt...her pointing finger on her right and will not bend at all.  Take care.

Linda, we should be getting some relief with our allergies for a while with all of this rain.  When do you work again?  How is Rosie and John doing?

Marisa, Lifting your mom up in prayer.

Mary, I hope all is well with you and your dad is doing okay...praying.

Have a good day housemates.

BBL!

Good afternoon housemates :hi

Well, like the rest  of you, it's raining here today.  But not quite as much.  Hopefully it stops for the game tonight, I don't think it's supposed to go all night here.  I woke up with a headache again plus neck pain :(  I never heard back from my chiro friend from the weekend because I wanted to go over there on Tuesday, but she may be in Puerto Rico again.  So, I sent another chiro a message through fb that I met at the chiro dinner group at the start of the month and asked him if he would mind and thankfully he did.  So I did get adjusted and it feels a bit let up although not completely gone yet.  He even came to my office!  He took the day off and had his daughter with him since his wife is out of town visiting her sister.  I was surely all prepared to run up to his office though.

Anyways, I ran to target and picked up extra diapers and wipes for our gift basket.  FYI, if anyone needs wipes they are on sale for $2 and a second pack for $1 both Pampers and Huggies good through tomorrow!  (They were packages from 36-64 wipes depending which ones you got).

I had a couple patients this morning and have another couple coming in soon this afternoon.  Steph and Bean are taking Sloan to the game with them tonight since his dad has a bachelor party and Ingrid and Averie are heading to Cleveland for a dance competition.

Sherry - I hope PT wasn't too bad for you.  Good luck finding the ankle weights.

Marlene - I'm sure Maya was thrilled!  Sorry dh and Daisy didn't get to go with you.  Have fun making the cheesecake, I've only ever made one and it came out reasonably.

Joanne - Oh boy, prayers for middle dd!  Those wounds are extremely hard to heal.  I think that's a good part of the reason why I'm not interested in looking for someone.  After my fiance left me I built up a wall so high and I really have no interest in letting anyone break it down.  I'll go on dates when I get asked or if someones asks to set me up, but I'm definitely not invested in it.  Unfortunately having that pain just makes you want to never have to feel it again and it's kind of a subconscious mechanism that takes over and it just stinks.  And from your perspective, there's really nothing you can do but be there for her to lean on and offer support. :hug

Linda - Oh boy, more fiber and another spindle :clap  Have fun.

Cindy -  KtB is going well.  How funny that someone sent you the link :lol  Great job with that beef!

So happy that Boston can breathe again! What a day- i called DD early when I heard that Boston was on lockdown- she hadn't heard, but luckily hadn't started on her way towards work. So she spent the day in lockdown at home. What a great job by law enforcement- FBI, Boston PD and all involved. Great job!

I took middle DD to work and then got into to work around 9- and left at 2:45 and picked her up. We went to the park across the street from the school and we talked for a while- and then went back to her place. We got sushi at a local place and then went back to her place. She is just so hurt- but she is also a strong woman! She'll pull through, of that I have no doubt, but it pains me to see her so devastated. Tonight she is focusing on working on lesson plans for next week. Tomorrow she has her art reach students (volunteer work she does with HS students) and then she and a friend are going to her university and make paper from pulp which is something she really enjoys doing. She's coming down here on Sunday to spend the day with us and her sis and nephews. She mentioned to me that she really hoped to have children but that she doesn't see that happening now. I told her that it could happen, but in the meantime, she can be the best aunt to her nephews that she can be!

I'm emotionally drained, between worrying about my oldest in Boston, and consoling my middle DD. i think tomorrow calls for some R&R time!

Hugs to you all!!!!

Just checking in to say good night.

I'm so happy for Joanne and the people of Boston.  Joanne...now you can exhale.

Cindy, I like your hummingbird cross stitch.

Have a great night all.

Yes, Val, now I can breathe. I'm so happy for Boston!!!

I'm glad that they caught him and that Boston can breathe again.

Linda, I have been meaning to show you the hummingbird cross stitch that I made my mom, probably 20 or 25 years ago.

Cindy, that is lovely!  :clap  :clap 

I've spent most of the day reading and resting.  The rain finally stopped late this afternoon, so Sweet Pea could go for a long walk with me.  Work tomorrow from 2-7.  Then next week I'll start my normal half time schedule of work on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday.

Have a good night.  Love you all.  :ghug 

Archived