Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Good morning everyone. We've got another beautiful day on the docket for today. Finished the hats for Rosie and John yesterday and delivered them last night. Now they'll have them for the trip to Colorado next week. They're spending Christmas with their daughter and grandkids out there this year. Braedon just turns PaPa John into a gooey marshmellow. :lol I'll watch out for Tillie while they're gone.

Planning on doing a lot of hiding of tails in the next few days so Christmas boxes can get sent and arrive at least close to Christmas. There are just a lot of them to get done. :P

Sounds like you had a great time with the grandkids, Marlene.

:birthday:yay:cake Happy Birthday, Judy! :cake:yay:birthday

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dusti- I've been thinking of you and your dilemma with your DD---please know that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that you are able to come to the right decision! Oh, and BTW, the mittens, hat and scarves you sent look lovely on the giving tree at work!!! Thank you again for sending them along !!!!

:hug:hug:hugOh, you are so wonderful. It has been a long and stressful week. DH flew home on Saturday, because he tore two muscles in his upper thigh, when he was riding snowmobiles out west for work (something about the machine falling into a big hole, while he had all of his weight on the right leg, "And then there was a *ping* and a bit of pain." :think) Ugggh, the bruising is...colorful :yuck We spent Sunday having one muscle re-attached, and the other one was not damaged enough to require attention. He has to use heating pads to help the recovery and keep the leg elevated as much as possible. He's at work, but, ai-yi-yi, what a time to be off his feet and unable to drive. I get to play chauffeur until he can extend his right leg enough to operate the gas and brake pedals on his car. I think I get to drive down to my parents' for Christmas, too, because I do not expect him to be up to that in just a week. We'll see.

On the school-front, it has been a busy week. Thank you SOOOOOO much for all of your love, suggestions, and reassurances last week. I read each and every one, and I truly appreciate all of you for your support. I toured a couple of schools and found one which completely caught my attention -- 60 min of Math daily; Science, Music and Phys. Ed 3 x's/week; 90 min dedicated to reading/day; and a lot of positive energy expressed by the staff I met. Kyri and I went back to visit, yesterday, and she was as excited as I was. The Principal had already selected a teacher and 2 "buddies" to show Kyri around during her first few weeks. We are going to move her to this school on Jan. 3. They use the same computer-based testing system to which Kyri is accustomed, and her scores/grades ought to transfer seamlessly. Now, I have to suck-up my fear and make the call to our current Principal and meet with her and the classroom teacher. I am dreading this meeting, as I know the teacher is very good at creating drama :cry

My parents and Gramma are driving up today to attend the girls' Christmas Program tonight. I have been scrambling to make the house ready for company. We have been working every night to decorate the trees, set-up my snowmen collection, and bake treats. I love to do Christmas cards, and I tend to write long letters in 60 out of the 75 cards we send. Sending and receiving mail is one of my very favorite things to do all year 'round, and this is no exception :ctree, so I do them up big. With everything else I have had going on, I have 10 letters left to write. Hmmmm, New Year's cards are popular in some parts of the world, mine might make it by then... :rofl I wrapped and wrapped Christmas presents for the past two days, and I am done :yay My parents will take the bins of presents down to their house, when they leave tomorrow, so I do not have to squeeze them into my trunk with our suitcases, cooler and play-outside gear next week. Aren't my folks wonderful?!? They are such a help to me :manyheart

On the crochet-front, I have been working on a cable scarf for my sister-in-law. This is the last time I try to produce a 72-inch accessory using Fine Vanna's Glamour yarn quickly :P It's lovely, and I am close, but it is s-l-o-w going. The matching fingerless gloves are done, though, so this is the last piece I need before Christmas. I finished a RR for Annika's teacher and a felted purse for of of my girlfriends living in Japan.

:hug:hug:manyheart:hug:hugto all of you!! Thank you for being here for me. Give me strength to make it through the meeting with the Principal. Have a good Thursday :flake

:hug:hug:hugOh, you are so wonderful. It has been a long and stressful week. DH flew home on Saturday, because he tore two muscles in his upper thigh, when he was riding snowmobiles out west for work (something about the machine falling into a big hole, while he had all of his weight on the right leg, "And then there was a *ping* and a bit of pain." :think) Ugggh, the bruising is...colorful :yuck We spent Sunday having one muscle re-attached, and the other one was not damaged enough to require attention. He has to use heating pads to help the recovery and keep the leg elevated as much as possible. He's at work, but, ai-yi-yi, what a time to be off his feet and unable to drive. I get to play chauffeur until he can extend his right leg enough to operate the gas and brake pedals on his car. I think I get to drive down to my parents' for Christmas, too, because I do not expect him to be up to that in just a week. We'll see.

Oh, ouch, ouch, ouch! :eek I do hope that everything heals up well and quickly. You are probably right on the driving timeline.

On the school-front, it has been a busy week. Thank you SOOOOOO much for all of your love, suggestions, and reassurances last week. I read each and every one, and I truly appreciate all of you for your support. I toured a couple of schools and found one which completely caught my attention -- 60 min of Math daily; Science, Music and Phys. Ed 3 x's/week; 90 min dedicated to reading/day; and a lot of positive energy expressed by the staff I met. Kyri and I went back to visit, yesterday, and she was as excited as I was. The Principal had already selected a teacher and 2 "buddies" to show Kyri around during her first few weeks. We are going to move her to this school on Jan. 3. They use the same computer-based testing system to which Kyri is accustomed, and her scores/grades ought to transfer seamlessly. Now, I have to suck-up my fear and make the call to our current Principal and meet with her and the classroom teacher. I am dreading this meeting, as I know the teacher is very good at creating drama :cry

You have certainly been in my thoughts and prayers. The new school sounds wonderful. The teacher may be good at creating drama but she and the school brought this on themselves. You have done everything you could to resolve the matter without going to this extreme. Now it's their turn to face the music. Mediocre is just NOT acceptible in our children's education, now more than ever. If they can't adapt, then they lose, both in children attending their school and in the money that those children represent to their income. Be sure and pass the word about the new school on to the other parents that are unhappy. Sometimes this is the only way to make people sit up and take notice. It's too bad when it has to reach this point, but sometimes it does. You know we are all pulling for you. :hug :hug :hug :hug

My parents and Gramma are driving up today to attend the girls' Christmas Program tonight. I have been scrambling to make the house ready for company. We have been working every night to decorate the trees, set-up my snowmen collection, and bake treats. I love to do Christmas cards, and I tend to write long letters in 60 out of the 75 cards we send. Sending and receiving mail is one of my very favorite things to do all year 'round, and this is no exception :ctree, so I do them up big. With everything else I have had going on, I have 10 letters left to write. Hmmmm, New Year's cards are popular in some parts of the world, mine might make it by then... :rofl I wrapped and wrapped Christmas presents for the past two days, and I am done :yay My parents will take the bins of presents down to their house, when they leave tomorrow, so I do not have to squeeze them into my trunk with our suitcases, cooler and play-outside gear next week. Aren't my folks wonderful?!? They are such a help to me :manyheart

Your folks are indeed wonderful and super helpful. :clap :clap :clap Have fun this weekend.

On the crochet-front, I have been working on a cable scarf for my sister-in-law. This is the last time I try to produce a 72-inch accessory using Fine Vanna's Glamour yarn quickly :P It's lovely, and I am close, but it is s-l-o-w going. The matching fingerless gloves are done, though, so this is the last piece I need before Christmas. I finished a RR for Annika's teacher and a felted purse for of of my girlfriends living in Japan.

:hug:hug:manyheart:hug:hugto all of you!! Thank you for being here for me. Give me strength to make it through the meeting with the Principal. Have a good Thursday :flake

Way to go Dusti! You are sitting pretty on the gift front. :cheer :cheer :cheer

Good morning ladies :hi

I was just talking to Maryann and it seems that there's a lot going on back at the office in Philly right now....boy am I glad I'm not there to deal with it, although if I was still there, I wonder if it would be happening :think:lol

I have a patient coming today at 4 :clap:yay He stopped by yesterday and filled out paperwork, so I'm almost positive he'll be here :xfin

Maryann got her new NOOK tablet yesterday :clap:yay she's soo excited and I sent her a nook friends request, so I'll have to tell her how to accept it now....not that I'm sure I know :think I only have 1 nook friend so far :lol Oh, and very exciting...she'll be coming out here in February for the Knit & Crochet Festival just north of the city :clap

Judy - Sounds like a wonderful day's on deck for today :hug :hug Enjoy!

Marlene - :drool cookies!!! I have some changes to make to my ad and then I think it will be done. :xfin

Joanne - :yay for getting your hair done. Have fun at dd's today :hug

Cindy - I hope your quilt comes together as envisioned :hug:xfin

Mary - I sure hope your neighbor doesn't con you into the whole day again :(

Linda - How nice to make Rosie and John hats for their trip to Colorado :manyheart

Dusti - Sorry to hear about dh :hug Your parents are awesome and helpful :yay I'm very grateful to hear that you've found a new school for Kyri and that she's excited for the change :yes You'll be fine with your principal and teacher meeting at the current school. Just don't let her pull you into her drama and bait you. Quite frankly you addressed your concerns to them and they didn't care and you are not required to fight it out with them or even explain yourself. All you need to worry about is completing the necessary paperwork! :soap

Hi Ladies,

Cindy, Great job on designing that square it is gorgeous.

Dusti, Hubby's injuries sound painful. Hope his recovery is speedy. Glad you found a new school. It's nice your parents and grandma are coming up and they can help you out taking the gifts back for you. Good luck with the meeting with the teacher and the principal.

I'm not in a very good mood so I'm going to keep this short. Ds though since the kids wanted to come over it would be nice if they came over and spent the night this weekend. He asked and absolutely not was the reply. They went back and forth and she ended it with me calling her. I was in the kitchen making a batch of peanut butter fudge and couldn't leave it. I called her and I can come to her house and visit with the kids. I wanted to take them to see santa or just do something with us. I'm not happy. :angry Have a nice night everyone!

Well I managed to finish the quilt block and write up a tutorial for it, but I didn't accomplish anything else on my list. The theme of the quilt is fall colors. The other blocks will be designed by other quilters.

It's so pretty- I love it!

Hi Ladies,

Dusti, Hubby's injuries sound painful. Hope his recovery is speedy. Glad you found a new school. It's nice your parents and grandma are coming up and they can help you out taking the gifts back for you. Good luck with the meeting with the teacher and the principal.

I'm not in a very good mood so I'm going to keep this short. Ds though since the kids wanted to come over it would be nice if they came over and spent the night this weekend. He asked and absolutely not was the reply. They went back and forth and she ended it with me calling her. I was in the kitchen making a batch of peanut butter fudge and couldn't leave it. I called her and I can come to her house and visit with the kids. I wanted to take them to see santa or just do something with us. I'm not happy. :angry Have a nice night everyone!

:hug:hug:hug

Dusti- Happy to read that you've found what seems to be the perfect school for Kyri!! So sorry that your DH hurt himself--I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers

Judy- Hope you had a wonderful Birthday:hug

Time is ticking away here--so must get ready--had a wonderful visit with my sis-in-law last evening and today my oldest will be here!! I can't wait to see her--and so glad I leave at 1 today!!!

Have a fab Friday!

Good morning peeps!!:)

Thank you all for the birthday wishes...I had a wonderful day! In fact, I had a wonderful birthday week! I'm blessed with so many friends, both on RL and here...not many people are that fortunate.

Dusti - what can I say...here are lots of :hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hugs for you:manyheart

Well I managed to finish the quilt block and write up a tutorial for it, but I didn't accomplish anything else on my list. The theme of the quilt is fall colors. The other blocks will be designed by other quilters.

That is BEAUTIFUL!:yay:yay:yay

Well, hubby is stirring, and I'm sure his buddy won't be far behind. I got up early so the dogs are fed and have been out...all is well.

Oooops....the guest is up, too...BBL! Time to switch the coffee pot on for breaky;)

Good morning everyone. It's a pretty day so far and supposed to be nice all day even if partly cloudy. Then it's to drop 15 -20* over the weekend. John leaves for the hunting lodge from work today and won't be home until late on Sunday, so it's a long girls weekend for Kim and I. I'm hoping they have better luck than so far this year. We're down to almost no venison in the freezer at this point.

That's a beautiful block, Cindy! :clap :clap :clap

Hi Ladies,

Oh, pooh! :hug :hug :hug :hug

Time is ticking away here--so must get ready--had a wonderful visit with my sis-in-law last evening and today my oldest will be here!! I can't wait to see her--and so glad I leave at 1 today!!!

Have a fab Friday!

Have fun with DD this weekend!

Have a great day and end to your birthday week, Judy. :manyheart

I shared this recipe over in the Charity CAL and thought that some of you might like it too. I make holiday breads instead of cookies as gifts for the neighbors. One of my favorites and one that always gets rave reviews is my Cherry-Nut Bread.

Cherry-Nut Bread:

2 eggs

1 1/2 C. flour

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 C. ground nuts (walnuts and pecans both work beautifully)

1 C. white sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 - 8 oz. jar maraschino cherries (drain and save the juice)

Cream the eggs and sugar, then add the cherry juice. Sift together the flour, backing powder, and salt and then add to the creamed mixture. Add the cherries and nuts and mix. Pour into large loaf pan and bake at 350* for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes one large loaf. (Recipe can be tripled and will yield 3 large or 4 medium loaves. I do this when I'm baking for friends and neighbors.) :manyheart

Howdy ladies

Wow, I hadn't realized how many days since my last check in with you all.

I'm several pgs behind once again on posts.

First of all, one day late,but Happy Birthday Jude ! Sounds like you have had a really nice past few days .

Dusti

Sure glad you got the school situation figured out. That is really irritating when a teacher does that poorly ,isn't it ? It makes me angry that sometimes a teacher's attitude can actually turn kids off when it comes to reading and learning . I'm glad you are standing up and taking charge.

Let the teacher have it --you can cause some drama of your own --she deserves it .

Hope your hubster gets mended soon.It sounds like it'd hurt REALLY bad .

Marisa

Good job on another new patient .Too bad all of us dont live close,we could fill in some spots on your patient list .

Marlene

So sorry about the trouble getting to spend time with the grandkids. what a snooty thing for their mom to do . That was my biggest fear when our son & wife split up,was that she would eventually move on and have a new life and no longer let us be as big a part of Cam's life,but thankfully she allows us to see him on a regular basis each week. I am thankful for that .

Sorry but I am a little foggy headed today,so will just say hello to everyone else. You all sound busy with last minute gifts,shopping,cooking,etc.

I pared down our card list to a very small number and shopping is done .

Tree is up and i'm too lazt to bake this year,so it looks like I'm ready .

Will try to check in more frequently so I dont get so far behind again .

Good morning ladies :hi

I have some computer stuff to do today and I'm meeting Ingrid for lunch later. My patient did come yesterday and scheduled to come back on tuesday :clap:yay

Cindy - Gorgeous quilt block :manyheart

Marlene - So sorry to hear about the kid dilemma :hug :hug :hug We could gang up on her for you :think:box

Joanne - Have a wonderful weekend with DD and :yay for leaving paradise at 1:00

Judy - Glad to hear you've had a blessed week :hug I hope today is no different.

Linda - Enjoy your girls weekend. I'll be rooting for John, it's a shame to be without venison :think Thanks for sharing the cherry nut bread recipe, I think I'll give it a try, looks super easy :yes

Julie - :yay for being ready for xmas, I am too since I didn't really have to do anything :lol

Hi all,

Quick stop in while my DD's went to the grocery store. Middle DD had to pick up some things for a Christmas holiday get together at her and BF's place tomorrow night. When they get back it's time to bake cookies. I made eggplant parm for dinner so that's all ready to go in the oven.

It's great to be together with my oldest and she brought me the oatcakes that I love and can only find in Boston (other than online) as well as some coffee beans from her local independent coffee shop! YUM! We made some already!

Linda- Enjoy your long girls weekend and thanks for the recipe- I've already copied it and printed out copies for my DD's (who love to bake)

Judy- I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful birthday (week)--I always try to have a birthday week too!!!

Julie- You are fortunate that Steph is a good person who understands the importance of grandparents in a child's life!! Enjoy every moment you can with Cam!!!

Marisa- Yay for another patient and another appt scheduled !!! You're definitely moving in the right direction! I'm so happy for you!

Well, I hear the car door shutting so they are back.

Hugs to all

Hello everyone. Very busy day at work today. I'm off for the weekend, and then back on Monday. After that I have a week off.

Thanks for all the compliments on my quilt block. I'm pretty happy with it, although it was not at all what I set out to make.

Dusti, sorry to hear about your DH, hope he heals fast! Also good to hear that you found a good school for your dd. Hope your meeting at the old school was okay.

Dh got my Christmas cards in the mail this morning, and got the bad news that our little post office will be closing in a few weeks. I knew it was living on borrowed time, but I'll miss it.

I have only a couple of gifts left to buy and I know what I am getting, I just need to go out and get them. I still need to finish DD's cowl too. Oh yes...I still have to make DD a sleeve for her Kindle fire. Tomorrow I think I will have to help DS make cherry pit microwave bags, which is what he is planning to give everyone for Christmas. (I will get him to do something for me in return, like cleaning bathrooms!)

We are going to a Christmas concert tonight, but otherwise we should have a quiet weekend.

Thanks, Jules!:)

Judy- I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful birthday (week)--I always try to have a birthday week too!!!

This is the first time it's ever happened that way - it's been a blast!

Hello. :)

Happy Belated birthday Judy. I hope you had a fabulous day. :manyheart

Julie~The boys are okay with a boy. Jaden cried when he first heard the news of another boy, but I made a joke about how he wouldn't have to play Barbies with a girl & that seemed to cure him of that feeling. :D:lol The older 3 seem to not care that I am even having a baby at all. It hurts my feelings, but I think it may change when the baby is here. :yes

On the crochet front.....well, there hasn't been any recent crocheting. :eek I have spent the last few days mostly in bed due to some hip & foot pain. I am hoping to make him atleast one hat to come home in. Maybe tomorrow. :hook:yarn

I hope you are all doing well. I read all the posts from the days I didn't post, but I don't remember who & what. :think Have a great night & I will try to stop in tomorrow.

Hello everyone. Very busy day at work today. I'm off for the weekend, and then back on Monday. After that I have a week off.

Dh got my Christmas cards in the mail this morning, and got the bad news that our little post office will be closing in a few weeks. I knew it was living on borrowed time, but I'll miss it.

Oh, that's sad.

I have only a couple of gifts left to buy and I know what I am getting, I just need to go out and get them. I still need to finish DD's cowl too. Oh yes...I still have to make DD a sleeve for her Kindle fire. Tomorrow I think I will have to help DS make cherry pit microwave bags, which is what he is planning to give everyone for Christmas. (I will get him to do something for me in return, like cleaning bathrooms!)

We are going to a Christmas concert tonight, but otherwise we should have a quiet weekend.

Definitely get him to do something good in return. Your bathroom idea sounds evil inspired. :devil

Nice to hear from you Tabby. When is the actual due date? I suspect that when baby actually gets here it will be more real for all the boys.

Nice to see you in here again, too, Julie.

Cindy & Joanne ~ Glad you liked the recipe and hope it turns out as good for you as it does for me. I've been making it for a long time. :manyheart

Hi, Tab!

I did have a great day - and week!

I hope you feel better soon. It sounds like this pregnancy is taking a toll on you:hug

Happy baking, Marisa!

Joanne how did your daughters art show go? Ooo, kept reading :) glad everything worked out so you could go and that she is doing so awesome!

Judy hi, how's your baby blanket today?

Linda T how did your christmas party go? Celtic knot shawl ... that sounds pretty, I Will have to look one up to see what it looks like unless you posted a pic and I havnt gotten that far yet ;) Glad your Mom is doing better

Cindy sounds like you had fun at Shipshewana...so weird, we didnt go at all, we usually go a couple times every summer. I'm working on a scarf too. Haven't for a week though, havnt crocheted at all because my wrists have been hurting for some reason :think

Ok....went back 10 pages to try to catch up...maybe to far? Gonna jump ahead a bit

Archived