Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Marisa- Hope you are feeling a little better tonight! Are you a Steelers fan now? The Giants played a good game and it was a heartbreaker that they lost. Next week we play the Cowboys--Go Giants!!! (sorry Mary)

Marlene- Thinking of you!

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Dusti! It is such a shame when you run into a teacher like that. We didn't have that problem, but when Joy was in second grade she had a teacher that wasn't at all understanding about Joy wanting badly to get out of the bottom reading group, but not wanting to get into the top reading group that badly. She kept her in at recess and at noon. The poor kid got no break at all from schoolwork. Nothing we said got through to her. Joy was convinced she had flunked, but at least the teacher wasn't that cruel. She passed and made strong progress from then on. I'm sure that you will find some solution to Kyri's problem soon. Keeping you in my prayers. Maybe the school will get the point if enough of the other parents pull their students too, but I wouldn't bet on it. :hug :hug :hug

Got the crocheting done on John's hat and dil's rr. Now to hide all the bazillion tails.

Hello everyone. Busy day at work, and then had to recertify for CPR after work. Tomorrow I have to work again.

Dusti, I'm sorry to hear of Kiri's problems in school. Hope you can figure out a way to fix them. If its a private school, don't the parents pay to send their children there? It seems to me that the school board should be interested in making the parents happy.

Good morning!

Another busy day on tap in Paradise. I'm so ready for the weekend already! Oh, well, not meant to be--still have 4 more days to get through!

I have so many projects that I want to work on and just not enough hours in the day. I took the baby blanket to craft club and figured I could finish it up....ah, that would be a negative, since silly me forgot to put another skein of the color "linen" that I needed in my tote!! So, worked on another Amazing yarn scarf!

Hope you all have a good day!

Good morning! It's overcast, gloomy, and dripping outside today, but fairly warm temperaturewise. Kim has her monthly doctor checkup this afternoon, so we do have to get out in it.

Moved more things in the downstairs again last night and this morning. This means that after the holidays are done I won't know where anything is again. :blush Sigh!

Oh, and John added in a request for a large RR or afghan for the friend whose property he hunts on near here. Wondered if I had one lying around that didn't have a home. Me? Men! Just what I needed! Another project to complete for the holidays. I may go get the yarn for it after we are done with Kim's appointment. He wants it in woodsy tones. He was looking longingly at dil's RR, but that one is spoken for! I actually have one in the cedar chest in those colors, but that one is mine and I don't feel like giving it away. It's an extra, extra large king-sized ripple that I made years ago.

Good morning!

Another busy day on tap in Paradise. I'm so ready for the weekend already! Oh, well, not meant to be--still have 4 more days to get through!

I have so many projects that I want to work on and just not enough hours in the day. I took the baby blanket to craft club and figured I could finish it up....ah, that would be a negative, since silly me forgot to put another skein of the color "linen" that I needed in my tote!! So, worked on another Amazing yarn scarf!

Hope you all have a good day!

Oh, Joanne, that sounds so like something I would do/have done. Are you sure we aren't related?

Hope you all have a good day. :hug I'll check back when I can. :manyheart

Good morning ladies :hi

OK, so I got to work today and my lights are on, but everything is locked up :think I swear I did not forget to turn them off last night, but I guess it's possible :think Or possibly the landlord stopped in for some reason and they forgot :think Who knows, but I did a thorough search and there's nobody here :no

Last night I worked on the graph ghan I'm making and my sister was running around doing stuff after getting home late. I told her I'd finish up laundry tonight, she did 3 loads and was going to do another for the sheets in the spare room since her friend and her dh will be staying over after the steelers game on thurs. I also have to color her hair tonight and she's having another late night since she's meeting that same friend to bring her an extra ticket to the game for her new boss that just came from Germany. I don't know what else is on her agenda, but alot of it is busy stuff that just needs done, but that I can't really do for her either :shrug Tomorrow night she's having dinner with some girls from work and I RSVP'd for a holiday party with the Pittsburgh Young Professionals group to try some networking, but I haven't received any confirmation back :think I sent a 2nd email yesterday. Then Thursday is a home steelers game and my sister got me a ticket :yay I love actually going to games :yes And then Friday night one of the neighbors is having a xmas party at their house, so it's a busy week. On saturday, my sister and I got tickets for a victorian house xmas tour :think with some friends, but now she's feeling bad and is going to call to see if she can get them to cancel the tickets. Because her bf is working overnights and they only get to see each other on the weekends right now.

Hmmmmm, what else?

Dusti - :hug :hug Kyri's situation is a tough one. I hated my first grade teacher!!!! Absolutely horrible (and I don't hate many people) and everyone had the same complaints. I remember getting her as a substitute in 9th grade for a class (and another girl from my 1st grade class was there too) and we just got up and left. Only you can make the right decision. I agree with Cindy that since it's private school and you pay for your child to go there, that they should listen to you....especially since it's a large group of you and not just one that's having the same problem :think:hug :hug

Joanne - Steeler's would still be in the #2 position, but unfortunately that's all I get around here :( The Eagles played on Thursday prior to the weekend and played very badly I might add. I was excited to actually be able to see the game :) They rarely even air the Eagles games over here :shrug Glad to hear you had fun at craft club, but sorry that you forgot the extra skein of yarn :hug

Linda - WTG on John's hat and DIL's rr :yay I hope Kim's Dr. appt goes well at her check up today. How nice of John to request a LARGE

I wasn't done :(

Linda continued - LARGE rr with such a short time until the holiday :hug

Cindy - I also need to update my CPR :yes I hope you have a good day at work today.

Faile - Nice to see you drop in :D

Judy - Seeing the wind behind you as you flyby :wink

OK, now I'm done :lol

Hi guys

Trying to remember what all to say to who .. I am surely out of practice .

Tab

Great to hear from you. hope all goes well these last few weeks for you . Take it easy . I think of you often .

Dusti

You are definitely right to be concerned with the teacher. Cam's first year, he had the oldest teacher in the building ( I went to school with her sister).She is snobby,plays favorites and is too old in my opinion, to be teaching 5 year olds . Her patience level is lower than MINE,and that is BAD ... She picked at Cam all year, he could do nothing right, she sent notes home to Steph constantly about him. Steph would crack down on Cam and I kept telling her not to,because he is a good well behaved kid,and very smart. He HATED that year of school . Since then,he has done well, never had any more troubles with teachers .

Steph knows 2 other kids who have had this same teacher,and she is on them just like she wasCam,so sometimes the best idea is to pull the child out and get a different teacher. Are there any other teachers for that grade so she could just transfer to a different class ? Sure hope things work out for you .

Linda

wow, they sure do things differently with hip patients than many years ago. They used to keep them laid up for a long time ,but now, it's on their feet and into rehab ! They say it's better for them though .

Sounds like John has laid a big project on you for so close ot the holiday .

Jude

How are things in your world ? My head finally stopped. The doc sent me to a neurologist. He ordered a drug to stop the headaches, prevent them from coming,and one to take when they do come. I began getting it on Friday night,but didnt want to take the new drug then since Cam was here and I have so many freakish reactions to meds. Waited til he went home to take it,and by then,it was like a herd of buffaloes in my head. I finally took one yesterday and it whooped my head,but I am also shaking all over today. Too many days with a headache that bad will about fix you .

Joanne

sounds like life is treating you well .

Faile- good to see you !

Hi Cindy--how are you ?

Marisa

You sound busy as usual ! What type graph are you making for your sister ?

Sorry if I left anyone out. It wasnt intentional. I was trying to go on memory,which somedays isnt too wise for me !

Hi guys

Trying to remember what all to say to who .. I am surely out of practice .

Marisa

You sound busy as usual ! What type graph are you making for your sister ?

Sorry if I left anyone out. It wasnt intentional. I was trying to go on memory,which somedays isnt too wise for me !

Hey Julie, you're doing great!!! As always :wink

I'm making a Harley Davidson graph ghan for a good friend of my sister's who will be 40 in January. His gf is having a big party for him, so my sister asked me if I would do it and I said I'd give it a go :lol

Home from the doctor's office. They checked her vitals and did blood work only, so we were in and out in short order. Of course it decided to rain buckets just as we were going there. Was dry when we came out. Went to the dentist office to get more flouride stuff for Kim and by then it was drizzly raining again so came home.

Put up a whole bunch of canned good that John got at the store the other day, too.

She's taking a nap at the moment.

Nice to have you back Julie. Glad the meds zapped the headache. Those things can be so very wicked and really take it out of you.

Will go to Walmart for yarn for John's project after he gets home around 8:00 tonight. Going to work on mom's RR in just a bit. It's got about 2-4 rows still to go.

Catch you later. :manyheart

Hello everyone. Busy day at work today, and then is topped to get some prescriptions for my mil. She messed up the re-ordering so it took a long time to get the right meds. (Luckily I wrote down which meds she needed, or I'd have had to go back again tomorrow to get the right ones!) Anyhow that took more than an hour. Luckily, I was planning on leftovers for dinner.

Jul;ie, glad top hear the headache is better today. I sued to get terrible migraines, but I "grew" out of them, I guess. I haven't had one in several years.

It's cold here, but at least its dry. We are planning to go to Shipshewana, Indiana for a couple of days, so hopefully any precipitation holds off. We've heard that its really festive at Christmas time. We've visited there quite often, but never at this time of year. I'm planning to finish my Christmas shopping while we are there. (might be a little overly optimistic about this!)

I remember a 5th grade teacher DS had in Catholicc grammer school. She was up there in years though not doddering. She had a rep for always cracking down on the boys...and she did with DS. He HATED that year of school. Alomost as bad as he hated the kindergarten teacher he had....who was middle aged and teaching K for the first time in years (or maybe the first time ever) There were no alternatives so we had to suck it up...

He loved public HS, though, and did very well! I think he learned the basics so well in grammer school that he had an easier time in public school....

Jude

How are things in your world ? Things are okay here. I'm on the last round of the baby graph ghan...if I can put down one of my newest books long enough I might be able to finish it:lol

My head finally stopped. The doc sent me to a neurologist. He ordered a drug to stop the headaches, prevent them from coming,and one to take when they do come. I began getting it on Friday night,but didnt want to take the new drug then since Cam was here and I have so many freakish reactions to meds. Waited til he went home to take it,and by then,it was like a herd of buffaloes in my head. I finally took one yesterday and it whooped my head,but I am also shaking all over today. Too many days with a headache that bad will about fix you .

I totally understand your concerns about taking new meds....but please try and not wait so long next time! I'm so glad you seem to have a good doctor.

Nite all....:hug

Finished the crocheting on mom's RR. Yay! :yay Picked up the yarn for the RR for John's friend: RHSS in warm brown, cornmeal, dark sage, and woodsy (a variegated blend of greens and browns.) Should be a pretty combination but still good for a guy. John liked them. Catch you tomorrow. :manyheart

Morning!

Julie- Hope the cracking head is feeling better and that your shaking is finished. Please take meds as prescribed, my friend!:hug:hug

Linda- WTG on finishing the RR!!! And now to think you get to start another one! The colors sound lovely that you picked out -and glad they got John's seal of approval!

Cindy- Have a wonderful time on your excursion to Indiana!!! Fingers crossed that the precip holds off!!!

Judy- I'll bet that graph ghan is awesome!!! What books are on your Nook tab that are holding your interest?

Dusti- Just to let you know I'm thinking about you and hoping that the right decision on what to do presents itself:hug:hug

Mary--Have you recovered from the weekend with Luke?

Marisa, Marlene, Tab, Tam and all---:hug

Morning folks :)

Marisa

Wow, the graph-ghan you are making sounds like quite a challenge ! ( for me at least, I never tried one) .Can't wait to see it completed .

Jude

Yes, a teacher sure can make a huge difference for a kid,either make them have an awful year or be so enthused with her job that it triggers an enthusiasm for learning in the kids.

I had ALL old teachers. I think some of them may have witnessed the Civil War first hand . I liked most all of my teachers and loved school,so it was a good experience for me .

**** NOTE

All except for 2nd grade-- our year-end school program.

The teacher matched each girl to a boy ,and my mom dressed me to look like an IDIOT . (She thought I looked good, I thought I looked like an IDIOT) Curled my hair,wore a dress a little like Dorothy's in Wizard of Oz, ruffly socks,stupid headband...I felt like an Orangutang in a dress.

ANYHOW,the teacher picked Bobby Dean for me. He stole my lunch ticket one day previously, so he wasn't high on my list of KIDS I LIKE .

On top of that, his head was shaped like Herman Munster's. FLAT on top .

What song did I have to sing to him ?

OH YOU BEAUTIFUL DOLL .

Geez Louise.

Now THAT was a bad day in school .

What type graph are you making for the babyghan ?

Cindy

I was thinking there was a place in Indiana that decorated a lot for Christmas. Maybe that's the one. I've never been to it though . Good luck on the shopping and have fun .

Linda

Sounds like you chose some pretty colors for the rr -- it'll be beautiful as all your work is !

Yes, those migraines are horrid .

Joanne

Yep, I take the meds as ordered . I dont do well with them.I have a list of 26 I am allergic to .so they are scarey to try new ones. I usually wait til Sam is here just in case they do something odd to me. I dont have anyone else close to call.Steph works full time,and our neighbors all work,so there's no one else to ask for help .

A big shout out to everyone else that I missed. I think I answered to everyone that posted since last time .:think

Hi, ladies!

Finished the crocheting on mom's RR. Yay! :yay Picked up the yarn for the RR for John's friend: RHSS in warm brown, cornmeal, dark sage, and woodsy (a variegated blend of greens and browns.) Should be a pretty combination but still good for a guy. John liked them. Catch you tomorrow. :manyheart

Awesome!:clap

The new one sounds pretty....should be enjoyable to work on:yes

Judy- I'll bet that graph ghan is awesome!!! What books are on your Nook tab that are holding your interest?

I finished a sample of Catherine the Great...and it's next on my list to purchase, though I may wait a bit. I read The House of Silk sample (Sherlock Holmes pastiche) and since I save SH books, I bought the hardcover yeaterday, using 2 store discounts plus a discount card I got in the mail:D I already started that one.

I have others in line, waiting....some "real" books, others Nook...I'm just on a reading tear....and once I finish this final border round on the graph ghan I can also pick up my x stitch UFOs when I want to craft...

Jude

What type graph are you making for the babyghan ?

It's Sunbonnet Sue....with a dog. I'll post a pic when done:D

Off I go....have a good day, my friends.:hug:manyheart

Oh, Julie, that must have been an awful experience! It did make me laugh though. With you , not at you. I remember first grade as hard because we moved in the dead of winter and I was terribly shy and didn't know anyone in the new school. :lurk Second grade was truly horrible! Part way through the year the teacher discovered that I didn't know how to read. I had just memorized the book, page turnings, the word lists in the back, everything. Unfortunately, I sometimes substituted a word that sounded similar for the right word and when the words were taken out of context I didn't have a clue what they were. :no The rest of the year was spent on flash cards with words on them both at school and at home. I HATED those things. :bang I was humiliated every time a visitor to our house was asked to "HELP" Linda with her flash cards. :angry And my mother the teacher that "She's just lazy! She could read them if she wanted to. She just took the lazy way out." :irk NO WAY!!!! :yell That was NOT me. :no It wasn't even done consciously. I thought I was doing it right. :yes By the end of the year I hated school. Luckily, my third grade teacher was a gem and taught me to love learning and school.

It's a rainy day again here in north Georgia. Gray, gloomy skies and rain, sometimes light and sometimes heavy. We do need the rain badly, it's just not any fun to be out in. And the gray days are hard on my mood.

Lou and Sue we get here sometime Friday afternoon. John may not get along with Lou, but Kim & I have a wonderful time with them.

Hope you all have a great day! Hugs to everyone who needs them. :hug :hug :hug Miss you to LeAnna, Wrennie, Mary 2, Trish, and Toni. :hug :hug :hug Catch you later. :manyheart

Good morning ladies :hi

I only got 2 rows of my ghan done last night. I colored my sisters hair and did 2 loads of laundry. Plus, read some of my book before bed (which I usually do :yes )

Today I have a holiday party with the Pittsburgh Young Professionals group in town and am debating on walking vs. driving :think We'll see what the weather is like I guess. I don't really like having to park in the center of everything, but also think about walking home alone after the event even though it's over at 8.

Oh, my sister decided to keep the house tour tickets :clap:yay She was listening to xmas music yesterday and decided it didn't really FEEL like xmas and thought the tour might help get her in the mood :lol

Linda - Glad Kim's appointment was quick and you got her flouride, you got the canned goods put away and you finished your mom's rr :cheer WTG!!!! Good idea to have John go with you to get the yarn, it sounds like it will look great :yes

Cindy - Glad you were able to get MIL's meds straightened out and leftovers are always great :drool I find very few things that don't tend to be better the 2nd time around :lol Hoping the weather holds out for your trip to Shipshewana :xfin Sounds like fun.

Judy - Can't wait to see the baby graph. Have fun with your reading the new nook, and the real books too :yes

Joanne - Hope work goes well and quick for you on this rainy supposed to mix with snow (at least here) hump day :wink

Julie - OMG!! I would have hated that 2nd grade program as well :hug :hug :hug

Jude

Your graphghan sounds cute . Sounds as if you have hit the book jackpot lately too !

I've been doing lots of reading myself .

Linda

so sorry you had such a bad school year and had to move. It would be hard to move to a new school no matter what the age.We thankfully have always lived in the same place . I'm sure it was hard when you were so shy too. That is one thing I can't be called is shy. I never got nervous in front of a crowd,no matter what the age.I've been a YAKKER my whole life .

It sounds as if your mother was a bit like mine . I wasn't called lazy ,but was expected to get straight A's in everything. If any grade was below A, I was grounded until the next grade card came out,so it was nonstop constant stress to stay on top in my grades. I try to look at the good side of it. I guess it taught me if I'm gonna do something, do it right,but it also did some damage that is unfixable. I second guess EVERYTHING I do now, and never feel that I'm making the right choice about anything .

If only people realized what they do to kids by making comments like that . :( I'm so sorry you had to deal with it too .

Anyhow I'm glad you had a great teacher the next year who helped you realize what fun it is to read and learn .

Keep your chin up, you're getting company soon,so that will give you something to smile about .

Marisa

You always have so many fun things going on in your life ! Sounds like you thoroughly enjoy every minute,which is great . :)

Look at me - I made a hat! It is very rare for me to wear a hat and even more rare for me to let someone take my picture.

:clap:cheer:clapThat looks great!!!!

Have a good night, everyone:hug:manyheart

...and I had to remind myself something about the baby graph ghan: not to post a pic of it on FB! The giftee is on there...and I am putting the baby's initials on the ghan;)

Hi all,

Phyllis--The hat looks great on you!!!!!! I love it!!! Think you finally have a hat you like!!!

Julie, Judy, Linda, Marisa- Enjoyed reading the posts---and will post more in the AM

Off to get dinner!!!

Good morning everyone--hope you all have great day!!! I'm hoping to leave work a little early today- my middle DD has an artist reception at the art gallery at her school. I'm very excited to see her work displayed 'in public'

Archived