A Doily to Blanket A~Long

heart

Cheeria, when I was browsing I saw that pattern too and liked it, but didn't know if it would come out too large with regular yarn. I thought of using sport yarn, but don't have any, and I'm really focused on using up stash and not buying any more this year. (Yeah, right - I'll see how long THAT lasts!)

I would love to see it done though.

Edited to add: I really liked Ruby's Pinapple and Diamond Medley too. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rubys-pineapple-and-diamond-centerpiece

What do some of you think? Would that come out too big in Lion brand Pound of Love and an H? Or use a G? There is no way I'm going to a sample in thread first to size it. Let's just say I don't have a love affair with thread!

Morning it's me again the undecidetive doily pattern corcheter, I reverted back to my orginal choice of pattern and I'm happily on round 8 of The Ruby Pineapple Medley. I'm having fun now that my crocheting is on its way and will share a picture with you of my progress. Sorry about changing from this pattern too that one but that's how I am and one of the reasons I don't join in on CALs , but I'm trying so please bear with me as I work this out. :hug

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started my Ghan this morning - And just finished round 16. It's definitely rippling on me even though I'm using an "I" hook (normally use a G with ILTY since I'm a loose crocheter).

Oh well - I'm trying to make it look like a flower, so we can just call those ripples 'the petals', right?? :devil

post-33588-135897629125_thumb.jpg

Morning it's me again the undecidetive doily pattern corcheter, I reverted back to my orginal choice of pattern and I'm happily on round 8 of The Ruby Pineapple Medley. I'm having fun now that my crocheting is on its way and will share a picture with you of my progress. Sorry about changing from this pattern too that one but that's how I am and one of the reasons I don't join in on CALs , but I'm trying so please bear with me as I work this out. :hug

You're too funny - Have fun choosing and choosing again!! :hook

Started my Ghan this morning - And just finished round 16. It's definitely rippling on me even though I'm using an "I" hook (normally use a G with ILTY since I'm a loose crocheter).

Oh well - I'm trying to make it look like a flower, so we can just call those ripples 'the petals', right?? :devil

I love flower petals! :flower

So many gorgeous blankets-in-progress! I think how much hole is too much is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes a lacy blanket is perfect, they're not as hot in the summer months, and you can wrap baby in a light "sheet" and then the pretty blankie for show, too. ;) For one that will get lots and lots of daily use, you probably want one that has smaller or fewer holes...baby's finger will inevitably find the holes. I did hear once that for a WW ghan, holes should aim for 5-chain or less, if that helps anyone.

With my kids, I got several cute-and-practical blankets. They fell in love with bears, not blankies...some of the cute-and-practical, have become doll blankets for DD (6yr)'s babies. :D But having a special, lacy one, is a treasure that gets kept!

Anyway. I was digging around, and don't have enough lightweight yarns to make the romantic pineapples doily (and in WW with I, I thought it'd end up HUGE, which I wasn't in the mood for...I have a nearly full skein of Caron Pounder in that lilac color, to use up, and I find that yarn a bit thick/stiff, so it's I hook for me. So I dug through my old mags (mostly from one fantabulous haul at a thrift store a couple years ago!) and came out with a stack of doilies to put on my WIM's list. I also found this one, that I've started playing around with.

[ATTACH]35111[/ATTACH]

This is "Swirl Motif Doily" fromOld Time Crochet, Dec 1999. It's a 12" in size 10 thread, so I figure, based on my gauge swatch, that it should come close to 36", which feels like a good size for a baby blanket I think.

Here's what I did yesterday, and here's hoping it all works out ;)

[ATTACH]35112[/ATTACH]

So far, the swirls aren't showing up very much...might be the angle though.

I guess it's official, I de-lurked and jumped in. :lol

Love the motifs! Glad you de-lurked, lol!

Here's where I'm at this afternoon, not far but it is a start :) I've ch 5 when I should ch7 and ch7 when I should ch9 and it seems to be working OK so far :D and personally I think it's lovely :manyheart

That is absolutely lovely!

Pandrus...sometimes ruffling evens out after you get farther. depends on how the designer wrote it. But I love your flower petals :D

Cheeria, choosing is half the fun! no worries, and we'll enjoy cheering you on and enjoying or progress as it comes along. CAL's are very relaxed. :D

Good news, bad news day. Bad news - I'm getting sick. Good news - I'm taking off work and that means I can live in the recliner the next two days and crochet.

All the work is progress is beautiful. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

Here's where I'm at this afternoon, not far but it is a start :) I've ch 5 when I should ch7 and ch7 when I should ch9 and it seems to be working OK so far :D and personally I think it's lovely :manyheart
Gorgeous!:clap

So many gorgeous blankets-in-progress! I think how much hole is too much is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes a lacy blanket is perfect, they're not as hot in the summer months, and you can wrap baby in a light "sheet" and then the pretty blankie for show, too. ;) For one that will get lots and lots of daily use, you probably want one that has smaller or fewer holes...baby's finger will inevitably find the holes. I did hear once that for a WW ghan, holes should aim for 5-chain or less, if that helps anyone.

With my kids, I got several cute-and-practical blankets. They fell in love with bears, not blankies...some of the cute-and-practical, have become doll blankets for DD (6yr)'s babies. :D But having a special, lacy one, is a treasure that gets kept!

Anyway. I was digging around, and don't have enough lightweight yarns to make the romantic pineapples doily (and in WW with I, I thought it'd end up HUGE, which I wasn't in the mood for...I have a nearly full skein of Caron Pounder in that lilac color, to use up, and I find that yarn a bit thick/stiff, so it's I hook for me. So I dug through my old mags (mostly from one fantabulous haul at a thrift store a couple years ago!) and came out with a stack of doilies to put on my WIM's list. I also found this one, that I've started playing around with.

[ATTACH]35111[/ATTACH]

This is "Swirl Motif Doily" fromOld Time Crochet, Dec 1999. It's a 12" in size 10 thread, so I figure, based on my gauge swatch, that it should come close to 36", which feels like a good size for a baby blanket I think.

[ATTACH]35112[/ATTACH]

Love that pattern!

That's so cute! :cheer

[ATTACH]35111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35112[/ATTACH]

That's going to be pretty. I really like that pattern. I'm also using Caron pounder in lilac. I find that it washes up nicely. I'm using an H hook for mine.

Cheeria, I change my mind all the time too. Way too many options out there!

Thats pretty. I had that rippling problem too, when I was following a pattern, but it was much worse than yours. I am now just making up my own pattern as I go along.

Good news, bad news day. Bad news - I'm getting sick. Good news - I'm taking off work and that means I can live in the recliner the next two days and crochet.

All the work is progress is beautiful. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

Hope you feel better soon.

How neat, there's two of us using the same yarn! :)

Cindy, I find I work too tightly with WW. To keep from aching using the Caron Pounder, I have to go to an I! ILTY I can go with H, or G if I want a tighter look (I will get achy with a G hook though) Funny how we all have different gauges in our :crocheting, eh?

When I'm using thread, I have no trouble! go figure. :shrug

That's interesting, Momcrochets. When I did the little thread project over in the Combo CAL, my hands were killing me. It all makes them hurt to some degree, but the thread was evil. I'm sure it was because I was very awkward with it - I am definitely not a thread person - and so was holding it very tensely.

When I left today on sick leave, I commented that I had one thing I had to do on the way home, and then would crash. I never admitted to what it was, hearing my mother's forever voice in my head "if you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to go out and play". I ignored it just long enough for a flying trip by Hobby Lobby to check out doily books. I hope that wasn't too dispicable. I found Extra Special Doilies. Wow - there are some beautiful patterns in that, and they seem to all be pretty usable sizes. I can't wait to finish this one and start another.

I can't wait to finish this one and start another.

:cheer:cheer:clap:cheer:cheer

Me too!

Ok pics below. I am making the Summer Splendor doily, but with the pound of love and G hook it was going to be waaay to small. So now I'm improvising. I added 2 more shell rows to the pattern and still not even close to enough, so then did a row of dc, next row was uh.. yeah what it looks like :hook and now I'm adding this other row..does it look ok? Haven't a clue :think what I'm gonna do after this row... :yarn

post-35596-135897629493_thumb.jpg

post-35596-135897629496_thumb.jpg

Mary, that looks great!

I'm using that pattern and have been dropping a stich off some of the chains because it was ruffling too much. I should have checked and folded it in half way before this....no way am I frogging several rows...but I think it'll be okay.

I'm sure I'll be imrovising, too, at the end:lol

The ghans are looking lovely.

I haven't started mine yet-and Cheeria- I'll probably be right with you- changing my mind several times. I am going to attempt Summer Splendor- but it seems like some of you have been having trouble with ruffling- and I am so NOT an improviser- not enough confidence yet to just wing it- maybe this will be the time that I do????

Have lots to do today so hoping that tomorrow is the day I can just sit and try this out.

Mary, your improvisation is perfect. It look really great.

I have the whole day before me, a blank slate, and I've been so busy lately that except for a few things that have to be done, like the never ending dishes, I'm giving it all to crochet. Progress pic soon. I know I keep promising, but it really is coming. I'm doing the double pineapple, and I'm almost finished with the inner pineapple ring. When that's done, I'll get a pic.

Well, after 5 hours round trip, talking to 3 clients, I was so tired when I got home. I tried to work on mine some but one row just was not sinking in and I had to frog it. I have finished row 14 of 23 and it's only 19" across so not sure if it's going to be big enough. Maybe I can add rows on the end. :think

I have learned that I love working the doily pattern more than a granny square afghan though. :hook

This is a very quick pic I took last night. I didn't really lay it out real good but you can get an idea. :)

post-44513-135897629935_thumb.jpg

The ghans are looking lovely.

I haven't started mine yet-and Cheeria- I'll probably be right with you- changing my mind several times. I am going to attempt Summer Splendor- but it seems like some of you have been having trouble with ruffling- and I am so NOT an improviser- not enough confidence yet to just wing it- maybe this will be the time that I do????

Have lots to do today so hoping that tomorrow is the day I can just sit and try this out.

Mine was ruffly but when I added the extra rows in rows 18-22 it really seemed to help.

Archived