A Doily to Blanket A~Long

heart

and now my question...how do you guesstimate the yarn-age for a doily-ghan? I'm liking the romantic pineapples one myself (too many WIPS right now to actually start....but soon maybe?)...but to dig through what I have, or go shopping...how much yarn? money is super-tight; I'd prefer to not over-buy, and I'd love to shrink some of my stash.

I would think no more than 2 skeins of red heart. That should be plenty, I think they have around 300 yds a skein. :U Thank you for posting the link, I love that one! :manyheart

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So would one of these work for a lapghan instead of for a baby? I don't know of any babies and don't think I can really do a baby one right now (personal reasons) but would love to try a doily as an afghan. I was thinking of maybe a lapghan for my mom while she sits at the computer. She stays really cold with her diabetes.

I think it would make a lovely lapghan!

Think of the sizing this way. I usually make my baby afghans at least 30 rounds so a doily with 30 rounds or more will be perfect but I also make big baby ghans.

This is the kind of info we need! Thank you! Can I quote you in the first post so everyone can read this as well when they decide to join in? It is very helpful.

I've done a couple of doilyghans in the past. One didn't work out very well, as the doily pattern was too holey to begin with, which meant that the baby blanket was pretty much a mess of chains and holes.

This is a picture of the other one. It believe it was 12 or 13 rounds and it is about 15 inches in diameter, so it will be suitable as a preemie blanket.

I have been thinking about trying another one, as I like working doily patterns, just don't care much to do them in thread. I'm still looking for a pattern though.

Love how this turned out, it is beautiful! and that is another idea for the ones that end up a little small, donations for preemies. :U

Oh, I've wanted to do one of these for a while now. Not feeling to good at the moment but will definitely join when I get over whatever it is that's bothering me, whether it's a cold or the latest round of chemo.

So, count me in! I have some great SS in peach I would love to use.

:hug I do hope you are feeling better soon and you are in my prayers too. :manyheart

I'm in!

I've been thinking of turning some of these pretty snowflake patterns into a throw..... maybe making a dozen or so and joining them together.

Looks like another evening going thru my old pattern books... love it!

That's a great idea!!!!!

Great idea! I did one of these for my daughter. I used the pattern from here: http://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/history_culture/textile/karolinekirschenmann.html

I had to alter it because it wasn't quite big enough, but then I ran out of yarn and it was yarn I had in my stash that didn't have a wrapper. I looked for awhile for a match but couldn't find any. Anyway, it's still beautiful, and I ended up giving it to my friend as a photography prop because it takes beautiful pictures.

post-37603-135897627553_thumb.jpg

post-37603-135897627558_thumb.jpg

post-37603-135897627561_thumb.jpg

Sure - go ahead.

Thank you! :D

Great idea! I did one of these for my daughter. I used the pattern from here: http://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/history_culture/textile/karolinekirschenmann.html

I had to alter it because it wasn't quite big enough, but then I ran out of yarn and it was yarn I had in my stash that didn't have a wrapper. I looked for awhile for a match but couldn't find any. Anyway, it's still beautiful, and I ended up giving it to my friend as a photography prop because it takes beautiful pictures.

Ohhh! That is so very sweet! I love baby photos! Just precious!

I am in. I'm considering the Romantic Pineapples pattern, but am still looking. I love to make blankets and have been wanting to make a round one for some time. This is the perfect opportunity. Do we have a time limit on this CAL?

I am in. I'm considering the Romantic Pineapples pattern, but am still looking. I love to make blankets and have been wanting to make a round one for some time. This is the perfect opportunity. Do we have a time limit on this CAL?

Glad you are joining in! No time limit, just work at your own pace and have fun! Welcome aboard! :U

I would LOVE to join in,but can't use yarn now due to my asthma --it all makes me wheeze REALLY bad .I have tried lots of different types, about everything you could think of ,so I am sorta stuck with using thread unless or until something better comes along .

JulieKay have you tried wearing some kind of surgical mask? That has to be very frustrating. I have asthma to, but it certainly hasn't given me that kind of problems! :hug

Still haven't decided on just one design yet. I'm leaning toward the daisy doily by Susan Lowman that is in the Crochet World Spring 2011 The Joy of Thread Magazine. It is done in motifs. I'm not crazy about color changes and all those ends to weave in, but it is so pretty.:manyheart

I'm in, I would like to try my hand at this and so far I am considering two patterns,

http://www.nancyscrochet.com/9PointPineappleDoily.pdf

but I'm still looking for since I'm not familiar with crocheting doilies I would like to try an easy pattern.

I started on this one while I'm waiting to find yarn for the other one that I picked.

http://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/history_culture/textile/karolinekirschenmann.html

I'm to the center of the diamonds so far after about one hour of work. I decreased the ch 2 to a ch 1 between them because it wasn't lying flat. We'll see how it goes from here.

Archived