A Doily to Blanket A~Long

heart

Don't you just love all the round blankets? I certainly do. Want to make a lovely round blanket of your choice with me? Here are a few helpful tips to help you get started and be sucessful. :U

1. Choose a doily pattern that is at least 12" to 18" in width. Finished blanket will be about 2-3 times that size.
  2. Do a small swatch with size 10 thread and size 7 hook of 3 or 4 rows and do the same swatch with worsted weight yarn and the size hook you intend to use. The bigger the hook, the better drape your finished blanket will have. The swatches willl give you an estimate as to how much bigger the blanket will be than the inches given for the doily in thread.
  3. Choose a doily that doesn't have very large holes in it, because they will be much larger in your finished blanket, unless you want it that way. :D
  4. This is a trial and error experiment, at the very least you will have a lovely shawl or decoration for the back of your couch, or a new born baby blanket to bless someone with.
  5. Have fun! Oh, and post pictures! :cheer

RoseRed's blog post of tips for working with Doilyghans http://rosereddesigns.blogspot.com/2011/02/doilyghans-hints-tips.html

RoseRed offered this very helpful tip too. It's an easy way of determining if a doily would be big enough to be a blanket...

"Think of the sizing this way. I usually make my baby afghans at least 30 rounds so a doily with 30 rounds or more will be perfect but I also make big baby ghans."

If you come up with any tips or helpful hints please post them too. We can all help eachother. :manyheart

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using Red Heart super savor in baby pink and am going to use Summer Splendor by Denise Augostine. I think. :) Probably will use a size h or I hook. G hook is my favorite, but I want the stitches to be taller than a G would give. It's 11" so I'm hoping it will be about 3 feet across the center. Hopefully, lol. The sts are kind of dense but still lacy, so it should be pretty as a blanket.

Hi Sarah

Wonderful idea,and this will be exciting to see you guy's doily-ghans when they are done .

I would LOVE to join in,but can't use yarn now due to my asthma --it all makes me wheeze REALLY bad .I have tried lots of different types, about everything you could think of ,so I am sorta stuck with using thread unless or until something better comes along .

I have done nearly nothing in thread -- just one or 2 small items ,and am currently working on a small square doily,but nothing NEAR what these patterns are as far as challenging .

If I screw up the courage,could I play along but just make mine a doily -sized item ?

It'd turn out bigger than the pattern says because I cant use the real tiny thread and hooks .I use the size 3 thread with a D hook .

Even if I cant do it, I'll be checking in and looking at photos.

Good luck,you guys !

:lurking for now...made a doily-ghan for my nephew last fall.

This thread is how I found that pattern...Can't wait to see some of the gorgeous results that will come out of this CAL. (and maybe I'll see if my stash has enough to do another sometime, with all this inspiration)

I've started several doily-ghans in the past, but I end up getting distracted by other patterns and not finishing. I may have to add finishing the current doily-ghan sitting in the storage ottoman to my queue.

I'd like to give this a try. I remember when Darski made hers.

This will help me use some stash...but I have a pile of doily patterns to look through before I decide on which one to use.

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the suggestions and I may get better with thread over time and be able to change up hooks,and maybe even try a smaller thread .

Now to choose a color and pattern. They are all so pretty .

Momcrochets -

Wow, I hadnt seen the baby pattern you put the link on for. That is gorgeous ! What color did you use for yours ?

HiYa Jude

Good to have you over here too ! I KNOW you will do terrific at this --you are doggone good at the round babyghans,so this is right up your alley !

I've done a couple of doilyghans in the past. One didn't work out very well, as the doily pattern was too holey to begin with, which meant that the baby blanket was pretty much a mess of chains and holes.

This is a picture of the other one. It believe it was 12 or 13 rounds and it is about 15 inches in diameter, so it will be suitable as a preemie blanket.

I have been thinking about trying another one, as I like working doily patterns, just don't care much to do them in thread. I'm still looking for a pattern though.

post-6189-135897627501_thumb.jpg

Oh, I've wanted to do one of these for a while now. Not feeling to good at the moment but will definitely join when I get over whatever it is that's bothering me, whether it's a cold or the latest round of chemo.

So, count me in! I have some great SS in peach I would love to use.

So would one of these work for a lapghan instead of for a baby? I don't know of any babies and don't think I can really do a baby one right now (personal reasons) but would love to try a doily as an afghan. I was thinking of maybe a lapghan for my mom while she sits at the computer. She stays really cold with her diabetes.

So would one of these work for a lapghan instead of for a baby? I don't know of any babies and don't think I can really do a baby one right now (personal reasons) but would love to try a doily as an afghan. I was thinking of maybe a lapghan for my mom while she sits at the computer. She stays really cold with her diabetes.

the romantic pineapples--linked to earlier, being 24" across in size 10 thread, would probably be 4-6 feet across, depending on gauge. An earlier post had tips for calculating the size. (OP?)

Do the same amount that the gauge swatch in the pattern calls for, and measure that...figure out approx how many times larger it is than the original...

hope that helps.

I've done a couple of doilyghans in the past. One didn't work out very well, as the doily pattern was too holey to begin with, which meant that the baby blanket was pretty much a mess of chains and holes.

This is a picture of the other one. It believe it was 12 or 13 rounds and it is about 15 inches in diameter, so it will be suitable as a preemie blanket.

I have been thinking about trying another one, as I like working doily patterns, just don't care much to do them in thread. I'm still looking for a pattern though.

I have made that doily! (just had to say it...haven't seen it in ages!)

(ETA: I'm a threadie, love doilies, love working in thread...and that's why I like the idea of doily-ghans. :manyheart)

and now my question...how do you guesstimate the yarn-age for a doily-ghan? I'm liking the romantic pineapples one myself (too many WIPS right now to actually start....but soon maybe?)...but to dig through what I have, or go shopping...how much yarn? money is super-tight; I'd prefer to not over-buy, and I'd love to shrink some of my stash.

I'm in!

I've been thinking of turning some of these pretty snowflake patterns into a throw..... maybe making a dozen or so and joining them together.

Looks like another evening going thru my old pattern books... love it!

Archived