A Doily to Blanket A~Long

heart

I didn't the join this CAL, because I didn't want to make another doily-ghan right now, but I've been peeking, and decided to share a picture of the one I made a little while ago. I have this really, really bland couch (it actually folds down into a very comfortable bed, but as a couch--meh). I looked for a contemporary-style doily pattern with some solid sections, and it now lives on the couch like this--nobody really uses it as a blanket (it's about 5 feet across).

post-13065-135897630214_thumb.jpg

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning! I finished my doily-ghan this weekend. I added an extra repeat of the shells to give it a little more size - Wound up being 37" across. Still kinda ruffly, but not as bad as before. I don't think it came out too much like a flower, though, even though the others in the project gallery did. :think Ah well - It was worth a shot.

post-33588-135897630271_thumb.jpg

They are coming out lovely. I'm not sure how mine will turn out. I frogged my first one after getting half way through the pattern because it was ruffling too much for my liking. Then I picked a different design and it is having a mind of it's own. So we shall see what it looks like in the end.:blush

Good Morning! I finished my doily-ghan this weekend. I added an extra repeat of the shells to give it a little more size - Wound up being 37" across. Still kinda ruffly, but not as bad as before. I don't think it came out too much like a flower, though, even though the others in the project gallery did. :think Ah well - It was worth a shot.

very pretty!:clap

Tricia - I think it turned out great. It's a better pattern than the one I ended up using. I'll put it in my "possibilities" folder.

Karen - that's a BIG doily! It looks great on your couch.

Momcrochets - this is the double pineapple doily. Sarah gave the link for the pattern in the third post on the first page of this thread.

oh right! that one is a ravelry link, so since I'm not a member there, I guess I can't get at it. :P oh well. Yours is lovely!

If I had enough white in my stash, I'd do the romantic pineapples doily (3rd post linky)...but it calls for 1700 yards of thread...I fear two skeins of WW won't be enough, and new yarn is simply not an option right now. :P

anyway,here's my doilyghan. all done. un-blocked, it comes to 27", but it's still ruffly. I think if it would relax, it would be somewhat larger, closer to the 36 the gauge swatch hinted at...oh, it's in that lilac color of the Caron Pounders...

post-7396-135897630283_thumb.jpg

(really, I need to behave, and get at my length of lace for the valances in the kitchen. after I get one done I can tack it in place and decide if I like it...they actually look good without a lace edging...so the debate will be does the edging actually add anything. KWIM? I'm doing the short 64" first...the other is 171"...if I don't like it after the short. I won't do the long, :P) don't know if I'll be making another doily-ghan in this CAL, but I'm going to keep watching :) The inspiration is wonderful

JulieKay have you tried wearing some kind of surgical mask? That has to be very frustrating. I have asthma to, but it certainly hasn't given me that kind of problems! :hug

Hi Mary

Thanks for mentioning the mask . I may have to resort to that . I havent had asthma my whole life, just got it last year . Never smoked or anything,so where it came from i have no clue,but I am on 3 meds and it is still not controlled well . Yarn just sets it off like crazy .Each yarn affects it at different levels ,so some I can use in really small amounts of time ,but cant use it for long .

And it is real hard when i have done this for 40 years .

Have you tried 'I love this cotton?' If it's the acrylic that's bothering you then maybe you could use the cotton yarns.

All the doilyghans look so pretty so far.

oh right! that one is a ravelry link, so since I'm not a member there, I guess I can't get at it. :P oh well. Yours is lovely!

If I had enough white in my stash, I'd do the romantic pineapples doily (3rd post linky)...but it calls for 1700 yards of thread...I fear two skeins of WW won't be enough, and new yarn is simply not an option right now. :P

anyway,here's my doilyghan. all done. un-blocked, it comes to 27", but it's still ruffly. I think if it would relax, it would be somewhat larger, closer to the 36 the gauge swatch hinted at...oh, it's in that lilac color of the Caron Pounders...

[ATTACH]35248[/ATTACH]

(really, I need to behave, and get at my length of lace for the valances in the kitchen. after I get one done I can tack it in place and decide if I like it...they actually look good without a lace edging...so the debate will be does the edging actually add anything. KWIM? I'm doing the short 64" first...the other is 171"...if I don't like it after the short. I won't do the long, :P) don't know if I'll be making another doily-ghan in this CAL, but I'm going to keep watching :) The inspiration is wonderful

Maybe when you wash it it'll lay flatter?? It's still very pretty!:clap

Momcrochets - why not just sign up for Ravelry? I don't post on it or keep projects or anything like that there, but there are some great patterns, and just browsing gives me a lot of ideas and inspiration.

:yay My friends at lunch today said they thought the blanket would be ok, loved the yarn (Pound of Love green) and said it would be "for a really special occasion." For myself, I still think the baby would fall out through the holes if you weren't really careful, but they know a lot more about it than I do, so I'll go on and finish it.

I'm to the outer row of pineapples, maybe 3/4 of the way finished. I'll get a progress photo up again in a day or two. If I were a diligent person, I would work on it tonight, but I downloaded a silly new computer game yesterday and it doesn't take a crystal ball to see that the computer addiction will probably trump the crochet addiction tonight!

WOW everyone doily-ghan is looking great. :clap I am working hard on mines and I'm loving it, I can't wait to see how large it will end up. Hopefully this Friday I will share a picture of my progress with the group. :hug

I didn't the join this CAL, because I didn't want to make another doily-ghan right now, but I've been peeking, and decided to share a picture of the one I made a little while ago. I have this really, really bland couch (it actually folds down into a very comfortable bed, but as a couch--meh). I looked for a contemporary-style doily pattern with some solid sections, and it now lives on the couch like this--nobody really uses it as a blanket (it's about 5 feet across).

Its beautiful, and it really does make the couch look very special.

Its really pretty. I think the ruffling adds to the flower look.

[ATTACH]35248[/ATTACH]

beautiful!

Thanks, Rose Red. I'm clearly making this up as I go along, and your tips will help when I choose the next one, which I hope will be in a few days. This is fun!

I am just blown away by all the pictures of your doily ghans! WOW is all I can say!

RoseRed did a blog post with lots of very helpful information on working with doily ghans, here's the link http://rosereddesigns.blogspot.com/2011/02/doilyghans-hints-tips.html It's a great reference and I'm so thankful she took the time to write this up. :U

What wonderful tips!!!

Thank you RoseRed!!!:hug

Archived