1. 1. What hurt you while crocheting?

• The hook?
    • The yarn?
    • The pattern?
    • The yarn needle?
    • Something after your crochet items?
    • other?

I was just wondering if anyone else has been wounded while crocheting? :think

I was doing some thread amigurumi crocheting and doing it tight so the stuffing wouldn't show when that teeny tiny hook slipped off of my work and into the tip of my middle finger... :eek and then what do I do? I did it 3 more times :blush before I got smart and put a band-aid on it. :yes

I made too many showmen last Christmas as gifts and injured my wrist from trying to crochet tightly. Had to rest it for a few days.

Peggy-same thing happened to me last week trying to achieve guage on a bat applique.

---

AND

YES! with scissors! Yesterday!!

The story hides here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120756 :lol

I do so much thread work that i have a permanent hole in my finger from the hook tip. It really doesn't hurt anymore and i actually can't even get blood out of that spot to check my blood sugar

Thread crochet makes me hurt like crazy -- arthritis. Too much crochet and my fingers will get cramped and sometimes my wrist will ache too. It is all part of getting old. I try to remind myself that every ache and pin means I am still alive. :)

As far as a true injury -- not that I can think of.

scissors cuts, and a needle poke now and then, other than that, Im usually in PAIN when NOT crocheting, ha ha!

I can't believe I forgot about scissors! :blush Yes, scissors hurt! :lol

I do so much thread work that i have a permanent hole in my finger from the hook tip. It really doesn't hurt anymore and i actually can't even get blood out of that spot to check my blood sugar

That is not good! Is it a big hole? :eek

I have arthritis, and I have to put my work down every so often and go run hot water over my hands to stop the pain! I've been using Ben Gay as if it were hand lotion lately!

My left thumb muscle will cramp bad. Have you ever tried rubbing Voltaren creme on your hands? I used it for muscle pain in my arm and it really helped. It is an inflamatory.

I made too many showmen last Christmas as gifts and injured my wrist from trying to crochet tightly. Had to rest it for a few days.

I do amigurumi too and sometimes have to crochet real tight. I am lucky I didn't hurt myself a couple of times! I have broke 4 Aldi hooks doing it too. I don't use them anymore because they break on me. I have been thinking of using one of those gloves. Do you think they would help?

I have poked my finger while working with really fine thread and fine hooks. Normally a size 12 hook or smaller and a larger size project. It's just the repetition of touching the same spot on the finger with the tip of the hook. It's easily taken care of with a small bandaid. The end results are definitely worth the price to me.I wouldn't give up my thread for such a minor inconvience. A hangnail is a bigger pain as far as I am concerned.

Now my husband teases me when I pick up a sewing needle. He just waits to hear the Owwws. He says he doesn't even have to see me pick up a threaded needle. He knows by the yips... I am always pricking my fingers with a sewing needle.

If I need to meet a deadline on a project and do not take enough breaks, the bursitis and arthritis in my thumb/finger joints wreak havoc and then I have to lay off for a few days until the swelling goes down.:(

Totally....

yarn- once used this horrid acrylic stuff that as it ran thru my fingers caused a burn (like carpet burn)

tools- scissors, needles, thread hooks

crochet in general - arthritis hands

Well to tell you the truth, misery does love company since I feel much better knowing that I am not the only one who gets hurt.... I also forgot to put down getting up and walking away from your work and not noticing that the yarn is wound around your ankle and you trip yourself up. What we do to crochet! So worth it! Thank you for all the great stories..

crochet as well as other crafts!

crochet incident: i hadnt worked with thread and those itty bitty (spearheaded LOL) hooks before and was attempting to get my gauge correct when i stabbed myself with the stupid hook i was using, not once but 3 :eek times!!!

other craft incident:

i had purchased a new craft rotary cutter. sitting here in my office i attempted to open the dang thing when stupid me :angry grabbed the thing BLADE FIRST!!!........

realized what id done. flung the thing apparently halfway across the house and proceeded to bleed all over the place! well 4 hours, half a roll of paper towels and 3 stitches later DH and i came home from the ER, and found the "weapon" laying in the living room floor a good 6 feet away from my office!

i can sit and laugh at my mishaps now but ohhhh the stupid things we do at times! DOH!!!

crochet as well as other crafts!

crochet incident: i hadnt worked with thread and those itty bitty (spearheaded LOL) hooks before and was attempting to get my gauge correct when i stabbed myself with the stupid hook i was using, not once but 3 :eek times!!!

other craft incident:

i had purchased a new craft rotary cutter. sitting here in my office i attempted to open the dang thing when stupid me :angry grabbed the thing BLADE FIRST!!!........

realized what id done. flung the thing apparently halfway across the house and proceeded to bleed all over the place! well 4 hours, half a roll of paper towels and 3 stitches later DH and i came home from the ER, and found the "weapon" laying in the living room floor a good 6 feet away from my office!

i can sit and laugh at my mishaps now but ohhhh the stupid things we do at times! DOH!!!

Those rotary cutters can be treacherous! The other really bad thing is getting your finger under a sewing machine needle. Talk about pain...

realized what id done. flung the thing apparently halfway across the house and proceeded to bleed all over the place! well 4 hours, half a roll of paper towels and 3 stitches later DH and i came home from the ER, and found the "weapon" laying in the living room floor a good 6 feet away from my office

I sliced off the tip of one of my fingers with a rotary cutter once. I'm much more careful with them now!

I stepped on a tiny hook that I was using to help string up decorations in my classroom. It impaled my foot for about half an inch. Had to go to the ER to get it pulled out.

Another time, I was wrestling with my son on his bed, and I fell off and my hand landed in my bucket of knitting needles. The only one that was pointing up was a size 13. It went right into my hand. Had to get stitches.

Don't know if these stories count, but they do bring back some pretty wacky memories.

:manyheart

I lost a doily hook once. I found it in my chair, the hard way :blush. I still have a mark on my thigh. I also got hurt when I tripped/fell over my yarn basket one night (does that count as "other" :think?). We all have our "war" stories :lol.

Ellie 13

Wow... graceful aren't we? :blush I must have magnetized bones since needles go into my fingers and hands all by themselves! :yes The yarn needles are good and bad.. they don't poke you like a sewing needle but once in they really hurt! :angry I don't know if I am morbid but I liked hearing all the stories.. except the ones about the rotary cutter thing.... Don't know what it is but I don't need to get near it either.. not after hearing what it can do! :eek

rotary cutters are usually harmless! they are used to cut fabric (easier than a scissor) and they do come in really handy IF youre paying attention to what youre doing!

I have arthritis, and I have to put my work down every so often and go run hot water over my hands to stop the pain! I've been using Ben Gay as if it were hand lotion lately!

Look for a product call Blue Emu..MUCH better than bengay!

Archived