Our House [Archive 4]

Skysmom

:blush Please don't say that out loud, the poor Casa has been in the cupboard for 2 weeks because I haven't had time to spin the wheel and move onto it. The poor thing. :( I am worried it is going to get a desertion complex because I am working on the Bus Cuddel and the Baby gingham.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ladies. We had a nice lunch and Dad is feeling pretty good. The home health nurse came while I was there and said she was pleased with his progress. :)

You all have been busy while I was gone. :D I need to read back through posts, but did see that Miss Tracy made 60 squares in one day. :cheer

Well, I have made several discoveries/decisions today....

2. My saltines corners are too round, which makes the corner joins very hard to do. So I have decided to restart this one and use 2 chains instead of just 1 between the dc groups. This is making them much more square and I think will go together much easier. I have done several of them already; will post a total later.

3. The original squares won't be wasted though. I will probably do a round of black around them with the 2 chain corners and make a scarf or something with them later.

4. I am already thinking about which ghan I want to do next! Going back to the website in a few minutes and think about them again. Sounds like I am already hooked!

That's my discoveries for this afternoon.

Linda M, it definately sounds like you are hooked. I do my squares with 2 chains in the corners, also. I like the look better and they go together well. I pick the color to join with depending on what effect I am trying to get. Usually it is one of the two colors being joined, it doesn't really matter which. Sometimes I just pick one color and use it for all the joinings no matter what color the squares are.

I've been working on the baby blanket most of the afternoon. It's past the halfway point now.I posted the pattern for a snowflake that I worked up about a year and a half ago on the Monday Snowflake CAL. I did 3 of them at that time. I'll be posting the other two patterns in the next couple of weeks. One of the gals there has already made it, so the pattern is followable. :lol :lol :lol

I am anxious to start the casa. Not sure what colors I will use though. I really like the ones that Cara used. I'll have to see. I almost have to make 2 afghans because I need a woman's gift for both sides of the family. Decisions, decisions...

But, I know when I get closer to it you will all be so helpful with ideas of which one to make :D

OH Cara - the red ghan pattern!!! Bless you!! More temptations.

I absolutely could not live across from a yarn store of any kind. My saving grace is that I live 45 minutes from anything other than a major grocery store.

I haven't even ordered yarn off the net, just books. Which reminds me, I still haven't gotten my 2 from Amazon and we are into the 2nd week...

Well, I have made several discoveries/decisions today....

1. I could not come up with a method of joining my squares with black that I liked. So I think I will just slip stitch them together from the backside. BTW, which color do you try to match when doing this....the lighter or the darker color?

The most popular seems to be the lighter of the two. Personally, I use whichever one I have more of.

2. My saltines corners are too round, which makes the corner joins very hard to do. So I have decided to restart this one and use 2 chains instead of just 1 between the dc groups. This is making them much more square and I think will go together much easier. I have done several of them already; will post a total later.

Yes, that will help. I realized after starting the site that I must make big fat ch 1s :lol

3. The original squares won't be wasted though. I will probably do a round of black around them with the 2 chain corners and make a scarf or something with them later.

They also make great pet snugglies. If you don't have a pet, local shelters and vets usually accept them gratefully :D

Mary ~ Another 27 solids and 9 bi-colors for me please. Enough for another preemie afghan. That makes three out of saltines. I'm starting one now in rounds of red, white, and blue that will end up about 18" in diameter.

Hi Ladies. We had a nice lunch and Dad is feeling pretty good. The home health nurse came while I was there and said she was pleased with his progress. :)

That's excellent news! :clap

Mary thats fantastic:hug

Tracy dont worry Im sure the CASA will get a turn before long, if you dont then the CASA will be hurt and you dont want to hurt the CASA do you.:lol:lol

Linda your snowflakes are gorgeous. I havent made any yet, have you stiffened them and if so is that easy to do.

Hello, hello!

Mary, 25 more solids for me please.

Well, I put together the first 3 rounds last night...the 3 rose shades. Lookin' pretty good so far.

Those snowflakes are beautiful!

I haven't looked at any other CALs..maybe I'll go do that and see what other trouble I can get into :D !

Morning everyone!

The colors I've chosen are: yellow (in place of the orchid), white, dark rose, dark blue and dark green. I am going to put the first square together before I completely decide on the yellow. So far I've made about 30 squares.

Linda your snowflakes are lovely!

Good morning, all. I make my snowflakes with the thread that is wrapped with a metallic strand so they are somewhat stiff already. Then I use spray starch on them and iron them. They aren't as stiff as if I used the glue mixture or liquid starch, but they still come out stiff enough to hold their shape when hung up. So that's an easy way to do it. I starch them pretty heavily on both sides.

I go see my internist later this morning. We'll see what she has to say.

Happy Monday. :)

Shelby, isn't the Casa wonderful? When you're ready to go, we make great cheerleaders.:hook

Oh Linda, your snowflakes are lovely. And WTG on more squares for the preemie ghans. :crocheting

Linda M.~ Great progress already! :crocheting I've added your squares.

classiccrochet~Your colors sound really pretty together.:yes Do you want me to add you to the saltine contest list? :think

Wendy~I can't wait to see your filet. :)

Hi to Tracy and Cara, too. Sorry if I missed anyone -

I think I actually get to stay home today. I could use a maid and a bookkeeper...but that's not going to happen so time to get busy. ;)

Mary,

What's the saltine contest? :lol I thought we were posting to keep us motivated :lol I must have missed it in the earlier posts.

We've got a contest going where we keep track of the saltines we make. We get 1 point for every solid square, 2 points for every bi-color square, 3 points for every 3-color square, and 4 points for every 4-color square. As we reach 2,000 points we each get a small gift from everyone who wishes to send one. It's been going on for a while, but you can join any time. The three of us in the lead have been in on it from the very beginning. It's all in fun and it's a motivator when we get bogged down. :hook

I'm working on the woven blocks one for my boyfriend for either his birthday or Christmas (depending on when I finish it), but I changed the color scheme a bit. I'm using a royal blue and white for the main colors, and a varigated blue for the lesser color. So count me in I suppose; I have about 30 of the 432 squares completed so far.

:hieveryone!!!! WHEW what a busy weekend! Almost glad its over except DH had to go back to work!

Went to Hobby Lobby AGAIN this morning! (hey, give me a break its literally across the street!!!) I found some more great yarn on clearance. Mostly baby yarn but it will be perfect for some quick Project Linus blankets. (check out my post about PL here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79672 and keep your eyes open for a PL CAL I hope to be starting this week) Also splurged on the 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans and Throws by The Needlecraft Shop. Its the one that has the famous Stained Glass Window afghan! Can't wait to start on some of the projects in it!Also bought my first bamboo handle hook (susan bates). Had bought the soft touch hooks (clover i think) and it just wasn't smooth enough so I will try these.

Also started yet ANOTHER afghan this weekend! :eek Not sure if I shared this link before or not but its a great ghan so I will share again! :)http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1570+Crochet+One+Skein+Throw.htm

This ghan works up very quickly, is very easy and soft. I did make a few adjustments such as yarn ( I used I LOVE THIS YARN from HL because its what I had and I couldn't find a RHSS jumbo in a color I liked) and hook size (used a J instead of K and its still plenty loose and guage is fine) and a couple of stitch placements but for the most part followed the pattern exactly. Will post pics when I get a little further. :hook

Glad to see everyone's progress. :yayWish there were more hours in the day to work on these! :angry

Oh, and M, the new projects on the site look GREAT!!!

Mary,

What's the saltine contest? :lol I thought we were posting to keep us motivated :lol I must have missed it in the earlier posts.

Linda described it perfectly. :yes I just wanted to add that it's entirely voluntary and all in fun. :hook

I'm working on the woven blocks one for my boyfriend for either his birthday or Christmas (depending on when I finish it), but I changed the color scheme a bit. I'm using a royal blue and white for the main colors, and a varigated blue for the lesser color. So count me in I suppose; I have about 30 of the 432 squares completed so far.

Welcome! The Woven Blocks is a wonderful pattern and your colors sound great together. :crocheting

Pickles~How cool that you live across the street from HL! All of your projects are just great...I love that afghan pattern and ILTY is so nice to work with. :yarn Your little one will probably learn to crochet by the time she's 3. :lol

I'm going to pretend that I'm caught up around here and make some squares. :crocheting

Archived