Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

Judy! the bear is adorable! I've missed seeing his previous pic in your avatar.

Linda- my 16 yo son Isaac just came up with a BRILLIANT idea! It doesn't solve your ear problem, but it does speak to JulieKAy's "curly fur" idea. He picked up a square, asked how it was constructed, and then suggested you change from fur color to background color in the last half of the second round only. This would accent the first round circle as your outline. Does that make sense? I think it would be worth a try, and no more work than a regular half granny.

Well, our last name is Block, so I think you should name this square style the Isaac Block! Whatcha think?

Thanks for the warm welcome all. This think is gonna take me a year and a day (hopefully that was not prophetic) because I already have three other 'ghans going. I'm using these little squares as my carry along/boredom buster project.

So, I see you guys had a square off awhile ago, but I didn't see the original rules. Was it for the total number of completed squares in an hour w/o weaving ends? Hmm... gonna have to try that. I'm really slow not because of my hands so much as my attention span! Focussing for an hour at a time would be good for me LOL!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linda,

I hope you don't mind, but I messed with your picture to try to explain what I meant:

lambtest.jpg

I don't know what effect you were going for with the off-white, so I didn't know what to do with it to "fit" with where I was getting at.

But you see how I changed the face a little, and the ears are "up" (two white squares) instead of floppy. I hope you get the general idea of what I mean - I can't really go much further as I have NO IDEA how to make it do exactly what I mean! LOL!

No offense taken if you don't like my mods. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see what I can come up with, in incorporating them in the next version. I like your face better than mine, Krystal. The drawing helped a lot. The off white was meant to add shadows and a more three dimentional look to the lamb. Back to the drawing board. :hug

Judy - Your bear came out fabulous!! I love it :manyheart

Linda - The lamb is coming along very well! Keep at it! :cheer

Here's how much I have done on my Big Top thus far. Finally have the rest of the red yarn. Now maybe people will leave me along long enough and quit bringing me cats so I can get something done on it :lol

bigtop0713.jpg

Krystal, that's it- sheep's faces are long and narrow, and just tweaking those few lines did it. I relly can't wat to see what you do with this one, Linda!

Cara, you amaze me. That bigtop is just gorgeous.

OK, it's time for another question- well, maybe more of a poll. What size hooks are y'all using? I did three squares last night with a G and it felt really stiff. I also whipstitched them, and I like the look. Anyhow, I am afraid that I will get tired of fighting those tight stitches and not finish the ghan. (Then again, the only clover hooks I have are G and J, so depending on you guy's response, I may just have to splurge on an H!) How much more yarn would I need, and would it get too "holey"? I really like the solid look. Golly I'm feeling wishywashy.

Julie - Thank you so much for you compliment :hug

Is the stiff feeling happening in all the colors or just one? For example, I've found RHSS Paddy Green is very stiff and thick that's why I avoid it :P You're probably just a tight crocheter. If that's the case just move up to an H. Perfect excuse to buy a wonderful new Clover hook :hook And yes, I whipstitch mine together :yes

Julie- honestly, since everyone's gauge is different and yarns are different, I would just do a square in a J. Measure it and see how big your overall will get, as well as if it's too holey. I don't think it will be, but it's all a personal preference.

Thanks for the warm welcome all. This think is gonna take me a year and a day (hopefully that was not prophetic) because I already have three other 'ghans going. I'm using these little squares as my carry along/boredom buster project.

So, I see you guys had a square off awhile ago, but I didn't see the original rules. Was it for the total number of completed squares in an hour w/o weaving ends? Hmm... gonna have to try that. I'm really slow not because of my hands so much as my attention span! Focussing for an hour at a time would be good for me LOL!

Hi Julie B.~Yes, some did talk about a "square off" and I can't remember who did one. :think We sound alike...I don't think I could focus for a whole hour. :lol

Cara, your Bigtop is Super!!!:yay:cheer:yay

Juulie B, I use an I hook with the RHSS. It's softer and easier on my hands. I end up with a square that is 3" across. Experimenting with different hooks seems to be the key to finding what's comfortable for each of us.:yes

Thanks for the compliments ladies :ghug

It's very interesting to find that we all use different size hooks :yes I crochet kinda loose because it hurts my hands otherwise. I always have to go down about 2 hook sizes on wearables :P Guess I didn't take that into consideration. It's amazing. It's still such a fascinating learning process :hook

When I made Baby Blocks, I used a G hook and my hand was way too sore! Since then, I've used an H and my squares are just a tiny bit over the 2 1/2 inches. The difference in texture of RHSS colors is incredible...some are so soft and some are stiff and much thicker. :think

I whipped up some with my trusty J hook and they are a perfect 2 5/8", where the G squares are a bit over 2". The J squares are so much more comfortable to do! I'm so much happier with these. Granny Squares aren't known for their "drape", but now at least they have some "bend"! And if I have to buy more yarn... oh well. Life must go on! :devil

I'm gonna join this set with sc and see how it looks. OOOO this is fun!

I whipped up some with my trusty J hook and they are a perfect 2 5/8", where the G squares are a bit over 2". The J squares are so much more comfortable to do! I'm so much happier with these. Granny Squares aren't known for their "drape", but now at least they have some "bend"! And if I have to buy more yarn... oh well. Life must go on! :devil

I'm gonna join this set with sc and see how it looks. OOOO this is fun!

Hooray! :jumpyay I'm so glad you got them to work :hug Actually you shouldn't use any extra yarn really since they came out the right size. Maybe just a tiny bit more since 5/8ths is a touch more than 1/2.

I use an H hook and mine come out at 2 1/4 inches. I never thought of trying an I hook. Maybe on the next quilt I'll see what it gets me.

Great Big Top Cara!!! I really love it. I might have to do a lapghan in it for the nursing home people that would really liven up their room :lol

Archived