Thread Angels

Swayde

I made these angels as Christmas gifts for my mother and my MIL. They are made of Aunt Lydia's size 10 thread and a 7 steel hook. The wings and halo are made separately and hot glued on. I used epsom salts and water to stiffen them. The pattern is from Leisure Arts "Our Best Christmas in Thread Crochet" and they are technically tree toppers, but they can stand on a table or mantle as well. They are about 6"-8" tall and this is the first time I've ever made something that is 3-D, plus stiffened. They are a little crooked, but I think they are still pretty and should be appreciated by their recipients.

post-365-135897486001_thumb.jpg

They are very pretty. I like the way they look.

If you like, get cones to put under them, Then your Mom and MIL can have a way to store them, so they will keep their shape.

Living down here, the humidity plays havic with the angels and such that are siffened.

:hook

They are very pretty. I like the way they look.

If you like, get cones to put under them, Then your Mom and MIL can have a way to store them, so they will keep their shape.

Living down here, the humidity plays havic with the angels and such that are siffened.

:hook

Oh good idea! I have the cones that I put them on while they dried that I can give. It's too late for my MIL because I just mailed hers out today, but she lives in Kansas and it's very dry there so should be fine. My mother though lives in Florida by me so I'll give her the cone for storage.

Very nice :yes

Thanks for the tip about epsom salts, I wasn't aware of that. One learns so much here!

No Problem! I actually got the idea on this forum in a thread about snowflakes. It came in so handy since I had a bag of epsom salts that had no purpose already so I didn't have to buy glue or anything. Plus I think it looks nicer than when I used glue/water in the past. I used enough salt that the angels actually sparkle :)

• 10 months later...

oh wow.. they are gorgeous...... and thank you soooo much.. I was trying to find just that thing to make for my aunt this year and when I searched the book online and saw the cover I realized I already had it... lol. so the mad hunt around the house for the book began. I didn't even realize the angels were in there hahaha.

thanks again and great job.

I've never heard of using epsom salt as a stiffener. Do you remember the proportion of the salt to water ration? I like this idea as I don't think this would attract bugs or other creatures that might like regular starch products.

I've never heard of using epsom salt as a stiffener. Do you remember the proportion of the salt to water ration? I like this idea as I don't think this would attract bugs or other creatures that might like regular starch products.

I followed instructions that said to boil water and add the salt until it no longer dissolved. I've since found instructions that call for 1 part water to 1 part epsom salt.

Archived