Anyone on Ravelry?

I haven't found anything on Ravelry that comes close to the show and tell here, as far as people commenting on projects and having a discussion about them. When I want to show my "online friends" a project i post it here. I put projects on Ravelry too but i don't expect to get many comments or favorites.

there is a group on Rav called "look what I made" but I don't belong to it and don't know if it is really active.

I like both sites, but Crochetville is much more of a community to me. :hook

IMO, Ravelry is a great way to catalog all your projects and keep track of your stash if you're so inclined, but when it comes down to friendship, honest opinions and just hanging out with friendly people, Crochetville is THE place to be on the web! No matter how high-tech Ravelry gets with what it offers its members it will never take the place of Crochetville in terms of just a great place to be! I belong to Ravelry and my member name is Elle over there as well. :)

I use Ravelry to keep track of projects, hooks, patterns, etc. I know there are some active groups, but I don't really have time (work, grandchildren, etc) to join in so it's just more of a utilitarian site for me. I did look you up on there and you have some wonderful projects posted. The Chanson en Crochet is just beautiful and what a wonderful story about the button. I've wanted to make that pattern for a long time. You do lovely work! I'm on with the same name by the way.

What you have to do is join groups and when you add your project, be sure to click the "Share this project" button on the right. You'll get a drop down window to pick from your groups to share with. That way more people see. Just be sure to join a group because you like it, not to show off. Also be careful about groups. Some groupls want only group specific projects posted.

I'm on Ravelry as Roli and will be glad to be your friend! As the others have mentioned, interacting with fellow crochet fanatics is much nicer here. I don't bother with the forums on Ravelry at all.

You have to be a member of Ralvery to see the pictures (and patterns) there.

I don't list WIPs. I did list my hooks because it helps me.

I like to favorite other people's projects. Even if I'll never make it, I like looking at some things.

I belong to a couple forums that have nothing to do with crocheting (or knitting). I belong to a couple mother boards. I have something in common with them that I don't have with people here or not as many. And no, it's not just being a mother. I belong to other specific forums like sci fi and soaps.

If you look around, you can find a forum for almost anything that you love and you'll meet people that aren't here because they are knitters or it's a specific forum like for your favorite tv show.

I think it's a great addition, not a replacement, to Crochetville.

I think there are some, er, "bad apple" members posting on the forums and some x-rated projects and language, but that's a small set of "abominable members", there are a lot more nice folks there. The site as a crafting tool is a great resource. I don't have an interest in using all the tools but have gotten some good ideas there. It's helped me to see pics & comments from others that have done the same pattern I'm working on.

I'm on Ravelry as JanineW (same as here), but I don't go there often. When I do, I get LOST -- just too much stuff going on there and I haven't figured out how to use the features. I do like to browse the forums and see what people are saying, but I don't get the same sense of community there as here. Also, it seems rather "knitcentric" to me. Feel free to add me to friends.

Abomination seems strong. Perhaps it's of no utility to you, but I find it offers reference things I cannot find here at Crochetville simply because Crochetville doesn't (and shouldn't) offer those kinds of applications, if you will.

It's purpose is different from that of Crochetville, and it has a much bigger population--more than half a million members. It's highly improbable you could get half a million people together, even people who love yarn, and not find someone whose opinions you can't stand. However, like most of the other members who've posted here, I ignore the main boards (except for the most beautiful finished object thread in the FTLOR forum, which has the most amazing works of art in it, including some crochet thread dresses, parasols, and lampshades that even the knitters have swooned over) and visit some very thematic boards: a Miss Marple lovers forum (people have crocheted and knitted versions of sweater worn int he various Marple shows on PBS), a dog breed forum, etc.

Ravelry is what you make of it. A great resource for some, too overwhleming for others.

ETA: correct spelling

Hi, I'm on Ravelry as NikiG, you can add me, I just joined also and don't have many friends on there. I use it more as my pattern resource and to help me stay organized...as far as show and tell and interacting with people, I stick to the Ville... Love all my new friends here... :o)

Archived