Train Tracks Shawl

darski

The Train Tracks shawl :pinterest

I want to start with a big thank you to Beth Eathorne who tested this pattern for me. Her help was so important to this pattern... you will all be thankful to her :ghug

post-4896-135897414348_thumb.jpg

This shawl was named for the look of the double rows of rails as they spread out over our lands. I like this effect and I hope this pattern is understandable for others. It makes up fairly quickly… mostly because the beginning rows are really short :wlol

I used a 6.5mm hook and I would guess that it is between 10 and 12 ounces of RH Comfort yarn. I started with a pounder and have a good bit left still. I chose the baby blue colour but obviously you can choose whatever colour you like for yourself. Because of the way this is made, you could pick any yarn and hook combo that you wish to try as well.

Important note: On my first increase in the centre of the shawl, I did not make it the same way I did them after that.

You are making side increases on every other row and a centre increase on every third row.

I will write this pattern the way I really did it but you can use the more “natural” increase I did later in the pattern

Make increase is to work [2dc in 1st dc, ch1, 2dc in next dc] inside the 2dc edges.

Centre increase worked over 3 rows…

*1st go through, work [ch1, dc in ch 1 sp, ch1] between your 2dc groups from row below.

2nd go through: 2dc in single dc.

3rd go through: [2dc in 1st dc, ch 1, 2dc in next dc]

post-4896-135897414355_thumb.jpg

Ok with baby blue yarn and 6.5mm hook

Chain 5 and join to form a ring.

Row 1: ch 3, 9 dc in ring. Do not join and your stitches should sit on one side of the ring. (10 dc)

Row 2: ch3, dc in next, [ch 2, dc in next 2] to end. (4- ch 2 spaces and 5-2dc groups)

Row 3:ch 3, dc in next dc, *ch 2, 2dc in next, ch 1, 2dc in next dc* Repeat to last 2 dc, ch 2, dc in last 2 dc.

Row 4: ch 3, dc in next dc, [ch 2, dc in next 2 dc]3 times, ch 1, dc in ch 1 space, ch 1, [dc in next 2 dc, ch 2] to end

Row 5: ch 3, dc in next dc, ch 2, [2 dc in next dc, ch 1, 2dc in next dc,] =increase made [ch 2, dc in next 2 dc]twice, ch 2, 2d in single dc, [ch 2, dc in next 2 dc] twice, ch 2, 2ddc in next dc, ch 1, 2dc in next dc, ch 2, 2 dc in last two dc.

Row 6: ch 3, dc in next dc, [ch 2, dc in next 2 dc] to end,

Row 7: ch 3, dc in next dc, ch 2, [2dc in next dc, ch 1, 2dc in next dc.] = increase made, work established ch 2/2dc groups to centre, make increase at centre, work established ch2 2dc groups to next to last group. Make increase, finish edge 2dc group.

Row 8: ch 3, dc in next dc, work established train tracks pattern across working a 1st go through * increase at centre.

post-4896-135897414353_thumb.jpg

Continue in the pattern as established in Rows 3 to 8 until the shawl is as large as you would like.

Extra note: the shawl was not getting as long as I wanted in the back length so for a few rows, I worked in Tr for a section over 2 rows and did this twice over the full shawl. You can decide whether you want that shift in appearance or not - it is visible in the pics.

post-4896-135897414358_thumb.jpg

Edging: when your shawl is as large as you want it to be you can start the edging which only needs 2 rows. Maintain the standard 2dc group at both edges .

Row 1: in each 2dc group work [Tr, ch1, tr in 1st dc, ch1, Tr, ch1, Tr in next dc]

Row 2: SC along the edge working a ch3 picot in the centre of each grouping if you like that sort of thing :wlol(ch 3 picot = sc in central ch 1 sp, ch 3, sl st in 1st ch to form picot, sc in same space)

post-4896-135897414359_thumb.jpg

I have started another one of these using Bernat Supersaver in lavender and a 6.5mm hook. It really is a good, mindless, pattern for when you are keeping half an eye on a screen. :rofl

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2009

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

oh thank you for sharing this. It's a beautiful shawl and I can't wait to make 1 or 2 of them for family/friends/as comfort shawls

Sandy

When I did my Shawl, I did work a decrease on the final row of the edging where the valleys formed between the 4 Tr bunches. I didn't add this to the pattern because I find that people get flubbed with such instructions and I didn't think it would affect the pattern all that much.

If you make this shawl and find the last row to be a problem, could you let me know if it needs the decreases or not :? Thanks all :ghug

• 3 weeks later...

Archived