Houston Holocaust Museum - Butterflies needed

The Houston Holocaust Museum is collecting handmade butterflies. They're trying to collect 1.5 million to represent the 1.5 million children killed in the holocaust. The display is scheduled for 2013, so it's not an immediate need, but if those of you who regularly contribute to charitable organizations do just one butterfly a month, it would be fabulous.

I had a Girl Scout troop for many years. We made butterflies for this exhibit. Each girl made several butterflies - most were stitched into plastic canvas that I cut to shape. We also made a huge troop butterfly (but it looks like they've put a size limit on it since we contributed ours...) out of a paper roll, styrofoam for the head, and huge metal framed wings with colored saran wrap.

I got curious today - I thought maybe I'd see some pictures online of the exhibit. But instead I learned that the date has been pushed back until 2013 and they still need a lot of butterflies.

Crochet butterflies are pretty common. A quick internet search turns up several patterns. If you feel so inclined, please contribute to this worthy cause. I'm not Jewish and as far as I know I'm not related to any of the victims. I have no affiliation with this cause other than I'm a Christian and believe the holocaust was wrong. A butterfly out of scrap yarn isn't a lot to ask, right?

Here's what Crochet Pattern Central has available: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/butterflies.php

Thank you! :hug

ETA 8/19/2010: I thought this might be a good thing to link to this thread: Wiley Miller's Holocaust Cartoon

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there, I'll contribute some butterflies. Although DH is not Jewish, He lived in a Jewish naborhood in the Netherlands and saw alot of his playmates carted off - never to return. We visited his naborhood last year and he told me alot of stories of what went on during the war and we visited the old synagoge (sp) in his area. When I have a few ready, will pm for addy to send them to. Cheers

Hi there, I'll contribute some butterflies. Although DH is not Jewish, He lived in a Jewish naborhood in the Netherlands and saw alot of his playmates carted off - never to return. We visited his naborhood last year and he told me alot of stories of what went on during the war and we visited the old synagoge (sp) in his area. When I have a few ready, will pm for addy to send them to. Cheers

No need to PM for the addy. It was in the first link. The size requirements are there, too.

It sounds like your husband has carried this weight all his life. Please give him a hug for me.... :hug

This is great! My grandmas uncle was captured when he went home to Germany & put in Aushchwitz. They let him go in hopes America would join their side. Sadly the papers got ruined she had about it. :sigh However my grandma said he said it was awful. So I would love to do this.

I have some already made that I can send. I went through a butterfly stage when I was still teaching at Michaels and haven't been able to figure out what I wanted to do with the butterflies I made in various weights and colors this seems like the perfect place to send them. NiYa :yarn

This is something I want to do...on Monday I watched "Schindler's List" for the first time and yesturday "The Diary of Anne Frank" was on, I never saw that either. I am also watching on our local PBS station a 3 part show about the war, WW II :Behind Closed Doors, the second episode is on Wednesday night ( http://www.pbs.org/behindcloseddoors/ ).

Thanks for posting this.

What a fabulous project! I can't imagine anyone not wanting to participate in something as moving as this. I'm going to contact all my creative friends as well.

I was raised Jewish (I'm an aethiest now....even if I can't spell it) but my family came to the United States before the war.

I think I'd like to try to make a few butterflies. The Holocaust is something I am interested in and it breaks my heart.

When I visited Israel I went to Yad Vashem. It was so sad................

I just pictured folks cranking out those cute granny butterflies only to notice later when they go to the link to get the address, that there are dimensional limitations! :)

Archived