What's Your Least Favorite Crocheted Item?

I would however, do doll clothes, like for Dora or Barbie. There are some fabulous doll clothes patterns here.

I agree, doll clothes are a whole different thing. I have no problem with Barbie clothes (I do like Barbie dolls, they're not creepy), and one of my girlfriends has a few of the Asian ball-jointed dolls who have a lot of personality, and I'd actually like to try to design some clothes/accessories for them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I absolutely hate stuff like this

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80995AD.html?noImages=

It gives all of us a bad name and takes us from being Interesting to being psychiatrically challenged. No same person could wear that without shame. LB has a tradition of stuff like that. I think it buys into the whole -crochet is less than- on a subconscious level.

I actually like this pattern. I'd definitely change the colors though.

I don't get the whole ruffled bed doll thing. That's probably the main thing I would never make. I love kitschy stuff, so TP holders and such don't bother me; they make me laugh. :lol

After I came here I started to see lots of reasons and variations of things that gave me new interest in a lot of things that I previously thought were weird. I saw someone say that toilet paper covers kept the cat out. Dah..never would have thought of them as useful. I saw the terribly cute ami's and saw why people love them so much. I still hate making them because that tight work makes my hands ache.

My top favs though in the why would you spend time on that category are ..those doll face wall hanging things, the clown dolls with curly cue limbs, and wrist warmers made from fun fur. However to each thier own.

I'm not fond of anything apart from washcloths crocheted for the bathroom although as a joke gift I'll be making my sis a TP cover. Everything has it's own appeal to different folks & somethings that make me cringe others find adorable & vice versa. One thing I can't understand is the appeal of variegated yarns for anything with a stitch other than basic sc/hdc/dc you completely lose the pattern in the choice of yarn.

Anything that has alot of pieces to be sewn together. I hate sewing!

Especially granny squares. My 4yo granddaughter was a baby when I started a granny square blanket for her. She's got a 2yo brother and I still haven't finished it... and have no plans to. Too much sewing :eek and weaving in ends :yuck

I will never make a crocheted tablecloth or curtains...I like them and think they are beautiful...but I would never have the patience to finish them in thread! I agree about the plastic-faced wall hangings. The bed dolls...I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into them and have seen some pretty ones...but they don't really appeal to me. I guess if I had a child that really wanted one, I could do it out of love! :manyheart

I would never crochet dish scrubbers - just a waste of time and effort. I also hate blocky, clumsy-looking garments made in thick yarn and sc. I would also never make a blanket that involved miles of sc. Also socks, I think crochet is too textured for socks. When I want woollen socks, I knit them.

• 3 months later...
Mine is also bed dolls. I think they are creepy.

I used to have one of those dolls when I was little. Lets just say I was more fond of my Cabbage Patch dolls and my stuffed bears than I was of that ol, thing.

Especially granny squares. My 4yo granddaughter was a baby when I started a granny square blanket for her. She's got a 2yo brother and I still haven't finished it... and have no plans to. Too much sewing :eek and weaving in ends :yuck

Time to learn Continuous join. never sew another granny again :cheer

:wlol

Just two words: crocheted bikini. If you have never seen a pattern for one, I envy you.

What do you guys have against stuffed animals? They're the cutest things Ever!

Actually Bed dolls can be very pretty, depending on how you dress them. Of course you do fell a thousand eyes on you all the time, if you have more than one.:rofl

I am with ratdog, anything I have to sew. I also won't do clothing.:hook

When I was a teenager my friends and I would get ourselves into a lot of trouble with the "I will try anything once" philosophy :devil, but I have carried that over into crochet. I can't rule anything out.

That said, I will admit I don't see myself taking the time to make intricate doilies. That seems like a lot of work for very little reward and I can't see putting them on my tables and such (though I love to find old ones at auctions and yard sales and frame them if they are in good condition). They make lovely wall art. :yes

Bed dolls, by the way, get a bad rap because they were so popular so long ago. I think most people try to avoid things that make them feel like they are old. :lol Personally, bed dolls are special to me because they take me back to some of my best childhood memories. I'm not the only one. My mom has requested I make her one like Granny used to make (except really really huge to cover almost her entire king size bed). :eek

When I was a teenager my friends and I would get ourselves into a lot of trouble with the "I will try anything once" philosophy :devil, but I have carried that over into crochet. I can't rule anything out.

That said, I will admit I don't see myself taking the time to make intricate doilies. That seems like a lot of work for very little reward and I can't see putting them on my tables and such (though I love to find old ones at auctions and yard sales and frame them if they are in good condition). They make lovely wall art. :yes

Bed dolls, by the way, get a bad rap because they were so popular so long ago. I think most people try to avoid things that make them feel like they are old. :lol Personally, bed dolls are special to me because they take me back to some of my best childhood memories. I'm not the only one. My mom has requested I make her one like Granny used to make (except really really huge to cover almost her entire king size bed). :eek

This is so funny because if you take the paragraph about bed dolls and insert the word doily, this is why I love doilies so much! :yay

I have a few that I made but mostly make them for my grandmother who loves them. Her mother crocheted but it skipped a generation as she does other crafty things just no crochet so I make doilies for her. They probably remind her of my great grandmother.

And I too believe never say never. A couple years ago you would never catch me crocheting kitschy potholders and washcloths and such. But, as I type I'm making a pair of long-john undies that will be a potholder. :hook

Fridgies. Just don't like them.

Can't see crocheting something and then gluing a magnet to it.

They just annoy me. :lol

Okay, the real pet peeve of mine is crocheted "objects" - like a pancake or a hammer. Why? Why?

Okay, maybe as toys, but there is just too many 'objects' to all be toys. Does someone wake up in the AM and say, "Wow, I MUST crochet a fried egg!"

And my apologies to everyone who does - I realize this is a personal thing, and even if I don't like it, you are sure as heck doing better than me if you can make ANYTHING without a pattern.

I absolutely hate stuff like this

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80995AD.html?noImages=

It gives all of us a bad name and takes us from being Interesting to being psychiatrically challenged. No same person could wear that without shame. LB has a tradition of stuff like that. I think it buys into the whole -crochet is less than- on a subconscious level.

I feel the same way about the amigurumi patterns they have on the Lion Brand site. What stupid patterns they are! I mean, come on! Check these out:

Free Crochet Pattern 80735AD Rudy the Rectangle : Lion Brand Yarn Company

Free Crochet Pattern 81096AD Amigurumi Angel Fish : Lion Brand Yarn Company

Free Crochet Pattern 90032AD Orbie Creature : Lion Brand Yarn Company

Free Crochet Pattern 90039AD Spheri Creature : Lion Brand Yarn Company

Free Crochet Pattern 81090AD Buddy Bear : Lion Brand Yarn Company

I tend to agree with you, also, that it buys into the whole crochet is less than, because look at the KNITTED fish they offer a free pattern for:

Free Knit & Crochet Pattern 81106AD Francis the Fish : Lion Brand Yarn Company

Oooh, his FINS are crocheted! Big whoop. At least his body looks like a fish! What on earth those other things are supposed to be I couldn't even begin to tell you!

For me it is free form crochet. I don't think I have seen anything in it yet I thought was pretty. But to each his own, right?

Now see, I don't understand how to DO freeform crochet, but I have seen some freeform pieces that were absolutely AMAZING!!! I'd love to try it, but I fear I would fail miserably because I don't understand the principle behind it, but it fascinates me to no end. Before I saw those pieces that I think are amazing, however, I used to feel the same way you do about it.

This is so funny because if you take the paragraph about bed dolls and insert the word doily, this is why I love doilies so much! :yay

I have a few that I made but mostly make them for my grandmother who loves them. Her mother crocheted but it skipped a generation as she does other crafty things just no crochet so I make doilies for her. They probably remind her of my great grandmother.

And I too believe never say never. A couple years ago you would never catch me crocheting kitschy potholders and washcloths and such. But, as I type I'm making a pair of long-john undies that will be a potholder. :hook

I absolutely love all the different potholder ideas that look like anything but potholders. One day I will have a kitchen full! :lol:eek:lol

I would love to see your long-john potholder when you are done!

Just two words: crocheted bikini. If you have never seen a pattern for one, I envy you.

What do you guys have against stuffed animals? They're the cutest things Ever!

I agree on both counts! Crocheted bikinis (at least every one I have ever seen a pattern for) are awful! There are, however, some really pretty crochet cover-ups to go over your swimsuit.

Stuffed animals, aka amigurumi, are really cute! I have made many and will be making many more. Every time I pull out my crochet books or surf to a crochet related website, my three year old comes up and says, "OK. Let's see what I want..." :lol :lol :lol

I would have said doilies, but now that I've seen such wonderful work on the 'ville, I can't poo-poo these anymore. I seriously doubt I could ever do such a good job.

I would have said toilet paper covers or toilet tank covers, but I REALLY am tempted to do one of these someday, just so that I can see the look on my partner's face when they all of a sudden appear in the bathroom. :lol

I think the only thing that I don't like making is anything that serves no practical purpose, clothing-wise--any clothing with a lot of holes, that's sort of meant to just be decorative. For instance, I really want to find a good, practical shawl pattern, with no holes, that will keep me good and warm this winter, but all I seem to keep finding are hole-y ones...:think

No offense to anyone on here, but my least favorite things is anything made of granny squares. I don't get it at all. It doesn't matter what size, what color, or what shape, they are ugly IMO.

Archived