My Moms Gift

I read about how upsetting it is to find afghans in thrift stores. My mother would knit and crochet baby layettes and donate them to unwed mothers. She would wrap them up and write "for Baby" on the package. She made a beautiful layette sets for my brothers twins, assorted caps and booties, etc. She died a few years later. I was 19. When my turn came and I married and was expecting my first I asked my brother and SIL if they had the clothes mom had made for their babies so I could use them for my son that I was expecting. My brother said they threw them out, "what were they supposed to do with them." I felt so sad. Sometime later I was cleaning out my dads attic and i found a gift wrapped box shoved in the back of a closet. the box said for baby in my moms handwriting. My eyes filled with tears as i opened the box and in it was a blue hat, jacket and booties knitted in baby blue. My son now had something to wear from his grandma. Thanks Mom!!!

What a touching story!! Your Mom will always be watching over you. There is nothing better than a Mother's love. You are blessed. Thank you for sharing.

that is a great story. it was fate. she knew it would be for your baby.

it's sad your brother threw the othe stuff away though.

I think the Lord led you to it right when you needed it most. I have things from both of my grandmothers that were either crocheted for me or for my kids. And I will pass them down to both of them so that they have them for their kids, but I will also make things for them to have for their children in case I am not here when that time comes. Thank you for sharing your story. It has put a smile on my heart. :manyheart

oh what a wonderful story, she led you right to them when you needed it most, how heartwarming, and what a story to tell your son when he's older

How precious this story is. I lost my mother too and I still have a blanket she made my first son and an afghan that she made for me. They are so precious to me. I can only imagine how dear this little set will be to you.

What a beautiful story.

I make a lot of baby clothes and blankets to donate, but lately it has occurred to me that I might not be here when my younger children have their own children. I have been thinking of making a couple of blnakets and some other things and storing them away for them.

I read about how upsetting it is to find afghans in thrift stores. My mother would knit and crochet baby layettes and donate them to unwed mothers. She would wrap them up and write "for Baby" on the package. She made a beautiful layette sets for my brothers twins, assorted caps and booties, etc. She died a few years later. I was 19. When my turn came and I married and was expecting my first I asked my brother and SIL if they had the clothes mom had made for their babies so I could use them for my son that I was expecting. My brother said they threw them out, "what were they supposed to do with them." I felt so sad. Sometime later I was cleaning out my dads attic and i found a gift wrapped box shoved in the back of a closet. the box said for baby in my moms handwriting. My eyes filled with tears as i opened the box and in it was a blue hat, jacket and booties knitted in baby blue. My son now had something to wear from his grandma. Thanks Mom!!!

Aww that's so sweet. This reminds me of something you'd read in those Chicken Soup books!

Archived