What colours are you using in 2009?

I tend to ask this question about once a year and I have been thinking of this topic again. I got my enews from the Colour Association today so it got me to thinking :think

In the items that they are presenting, jewel tones seem to be at the front of the pack. ( I want a jewel tone purple computer- need one of those fer shure ) I have a fondness for those tones that goes back to their hey day in the '80s/90s.

Obviously I am going to use whatever colours I can find in my local stores but I do feel drawn more to the pastels this year - probably a sign of my fast approaching old age :rofl

As to actual colours, I am looking more at the reds pinks, magentas and similar colours. blue is always a must have and green never goes too far from my hooks.

How about the rest of you.

What colours are drawing your eyes and do you feel that it is time to move to colours you don't normally use ... for this year?

In going through my stash of yarn I notice that I use colors that I would wear. Jewel tones. brights, and primary and secondary colors.

Somehow I ended up with some pastel green and yellow yarn, but I don't know why as I hate pastels and yellow.

Funny how that worked out.

Hmmm.... Well, I love all colors of yarn, just for different things.

When it comes to something I would wear, I find myself being attracted to whites/off whites, pinks, deep reds, and blacks. I'm also finding myself wanting things in solid colors more.

The only real new color for me in there is the pink. I don't typically like "girly" colors, but I've really been noticing it lately.

It's interesting to note that orange isn't really among the colors I'd want to make apparel in, because it usually is. Most of my favorite shirts are orange, so maybe my sense of color is telling me I ought to try something new? :lol

I use whatever the person for whom I'm crocheting the item requests. My BIL wanted a red and black afghan (the colors of his old high school). My niece wanted a pink afghan, which I just finished. SIL wanted sage green placemats for Christmas. My DH now wants a red cap, which I will do shortly, and my MIL wants a red cell phone cozy, so I guess red is winning at the moment.

The colors in my stash are muted earth tones mostly, with some autumn red thrown in there, which are the colors I like to wear. My house walls are warm tones also, so I guess I buy what I think might look good around here, even though I don't seem to making anything for myself these days!

In my stash, I have all colors. And really I don't use any one color more than another. I tend to buy whatever is on clearance at HL or if a specific color is requested by the recipient. Like today, I bought 9 skeins of RH sport in hot pink, not because of the color but because it was $1 a skein. So as far as colors go, I use what I can get the cheapest way I can get it.:lol:lol

I have always loved fall colors. I don't know why, but they just hit me where I live. :lol Last week I started a side-to-side ripple afghan in rust onbre, cream, dark brown, orange, and a brownish gold color. All of the solid colors are found in the rust ombre, or at least they're pretty darn close, and so far it's coming out beautifully! I can't wait to see it done but I'm in no rush, it's my "busy work" project that I can go to when I don't want any pressure to finish something, but just want to relax and crochet. It'll probably take me a couple of months to finish it, fringe and all, because it's 270 stitches wide and all single crochet. :eek

As someone else mentioned, turquoises, purples and black have been catching my eye a lot lately, as have pinks. I have always loved girly colors and have plans for another afghan somewhere along the line that will be done in pink variegated and solids of all the variations therein, with rows of white eyelash every so often just to keep things interesting. I'll start that one after I finish my fall colors ripple.

Sometime this year I also want to do the stained glass afghan that is done in motifs. I can't describe it other than to say that naturally, it is mostly black, but with turquoise, cream and a maize color in the "windows" of the motifs. I have to buy the book first that the pattern is in, they have it at Annie's Attic and it's $19.95, so that will have to happen in a month when I've not got too many other things to put out cash on.

The beginning of February I am expecting a HUGE box of yarn from a fellow C'viller that has LOADS of gorgeous yarns in it, and that's going to be the basis for many of my projects this year.

I love ALL colors. I don't necessarily PLAN any of the color schemes I use ahead of time, though. Sometimes I find a project that I want to do and then go through my stash and see if I have enough to complete it. If not, I buy the yarn I'll need so that I'm sure all the dye lots are the same. Other times, I'll go through my stash and find yarn that I want to work with, and then I'll go on a mission to find a project to fit the yarn. It all depends on what kind of mood I'm in. :)

Seings how I dont have a "stash" I just buy for what I am making. And I am on a baby kick, so it is pastels mainly. I am dressing my baby dolls, see my blog please in my siggy.

BUT if I was to be making something to wear it would be in a neutral tone, just so I could wear it with anything, dont have a HUGE wardrobe choice here..in my jammies.......:laughroll other than what I wear to work, that would be my wardrobe :rofl. I LOVE my shawls, cause they work for jammies AND over work shirts :manyheart

Hugs and Hooks

JoAnn

I've always been drawn to jewel tones. They're just so deep and full of color! :)

Colors I typically keep on hand simply depend on which colors I find on sale for a good price! I won't buy colors I don't like at all though. I do find I tend to steer away from neutrals (black, white, tan, brown) because for some reason I figure I can get those anytime I need to. The only neutral that I really like to pick up if I find a nice shade of it is gray. I particularly love heather grays! (I like most heathered colors, but that's a different matter altogether!)

With a granddaughter on the way, due 4/20, I am doing pinks and turquoise and lavender a lot more than usual. Mom to be likes fall colors like I do (maybe cause our birthdays are a week apart in October?) and I want to do a diaper bag in those colors. Of course I have more than enough in my stash for that project since I seem to collect fall colors most naturally.

Sometime this year I also want to do the stained glass afghan that is done in motifs. I can't describe it other than to say that naturally, it is mostly black, but with turquoise, cream and a maize color in the "windows" of the motifs. I have to buy the book first that the pattern is in, they have it at Annie's Attic and it's $19.95, so that will have to happen in a month when I've not got too many other things to put out cash on.

http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=22920

Is that the one you mean? I really want to make that one this year too.

Right now I find myself using the jewel tones purple and greens. I just finished something for myself in bright red with teal and purple and gold flecks. I have to make a wedding afghan in a requested bland beige so I'll probably take breaks with the bright colors to keep my sanity!

This Goth gurl will use dark colors like dark reds, blues, greens, purples, greys, also pinks(yes goths like pink), and off whites but that is for myself for everyone else it depends on what they want.

Jewel tones are in? Cool. I love royal purple and emerald green, ruby red and sapphire blue. I just love bright colors.

My sister has asked me to make her an afghan with earth tones, and for that, I like coppery browns and heathered browns, with leafy greens.

I'm not picky. Just give me the money to buy yarn and I'll happily crochet away.

http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=22920

Is that the one you mean? I really want to make that one this year too.

YES! That's the one! I just ADORE that afghan! I swoon every time I see it! :lol It's just so beautiful, in my opinion. I can't wait to start working on it. I'll probably buy the book at the beginning of February.

I would so love to make that afghan, but I dont know if I could take all those color changes, but that is beautiful.

I don't like to change colors either, but for something like that I'll suffer! :lol The ripple I'm working on right now in the fall colors, I couldn't figure out what kind of a stripe pattern to make, and I ended up doing five rows of the variegated, and then alternating one row of solid color, one row of cream for five rows, back to five rows of variegated, then taking another solid color that's in the variegated and alternating one row of that with one row of cream for five rows, five more rows of variegated, etc. It wasn't a real sensible decision now that I'm actually working on it, but it IS going to be very pretty when it's done, so I suppose all the switching of colors and weaving of ends will be worth it when all is said and done. At least I hope so!

I have already decided that when I make the "Stained Glass" afghan I will work a sort of production line.

i will get a bunch of squares up to certain points and tuck in all the ends. then start another batch and so on so that I don't get bogged down at any one stage of the making. I just love the looks so I need a method that will let me get there. :wlol

Archived