Kitsch as Kitsch Can Cal

darski

What are amis? I've just joined the ville and I'm learning a LOT!

Ami is short for Amigurumi which is a Japanese technique for making small crochet objects. They started out as very distinctive/artistic shapes and objects but they have morphed into any small "thing" that you crochet.

let's just say that they are not my fave thing and if possible I would create a special planet just for them so I would never even have to see the word again let alone the completed bits. All of which goes to show that Crochet is a very big tent and there is room or every kind of crocheter and item out there. :ghug

:rofl

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To darski, RoseRed, and anyone else who follows the pattern I wrote ( http://www.irishlace.net/crochet/toiletpaperroll.html ),

This is a pattern. It is a description of what I did to get the results I wanted. It is a set of guidelines to keep in mind if you want to get something similar.

It is not a list of sacred commandments.

If you want change things, you absolutely have my permission.

• If you want to use hdc instead of sc on the top, go for it.
  • If you want to use dc instead of sc on the sides, go for it.
  • If you want to make the core flat instead of three dimensional, that's perfectly valid.
  • If you want to use a lacy shell pattern for the paper instead of rows of whatever, that's a great idea.
  • Or if you want to do a wavy look of sc-hdc-dc-hdc-sc for the paper, that would be quite pretty too.

There are a lot of variations possible. Make it plain or make it fancy, make it a challenging project or make it easy for yourself, but above all... make it fun.

To darski, RoseRed, and anyone else who follows the pattern I wrote ( http://www.irishlace.net/crochet/toiletpaperroll.html ),

This is a pattern. It is a description of what I did to get the results I wanted. It is a set of guidelines to keep in mind if you want to get something similar.

It is not a list of sacred commandments.

If you want change things, you absolutely have my permission.

• If you want to use hdc instead of sc on the top, go for it.
  • If you want to use dc instead of sc on the sides, go for it.
  • If you want to make the core flat instead of three dimensional, that's perfectly valid.
  • If you want to use a lacy shell pattern for the paper instead of rows of whatever, that's a great idea.
  • Or if you want to do a wavy look of sc-hdc-dc-hdc-sc for the paper, that would be quite pretty too.

There are a lot of variations possible. Make it plain or make it fancy, make it a challenging project or make it easy for yourself, but above all... make it fun.

I absolutely agree with this. it is what I hope others do with my patterns too. What I write is just a way to get this done, have at it! :ghug

I've been reading this thread and sharing some of the pictures with a friend who is a graphic designer.

One of her current projects is a bowel screening brochure, to remind people to get exams done for early cancer detection. She's loving these covers! Is the TP scarf a copyrighted pattern?

It's inspired me to try my hand at a pattern or two myself: sushi and a Dalek, lol!

I love amis!! They are so fun to make. It can be hard on your hands after a while, seeing how you use a smaller hook, but it is wonderful to see them take on a shape and personality all their own.

Darski- if you sent all the amis to their own special planet, I would move there. :manyheart (dork alert!! LoL)

I've been reading this thread and sharing some of the pictures with a friend who is a graphic designer.

One of her current projects is a bowel screening brochure, to remind people to get exams done for early cancer detection. She's loving these covers! Is the TP scarf a copyrighted pattern?

It's inspired me to try my hand at a pattern or two myself: sushi and a Dalek, lol!

That's so cool. Every pattern is copyrighted - so are the pics that go with the pattern. You'll need permission from the copyright holder to use their pics or their pattern. All you have to do is ask for it. Most people will say sure.

Right now I'm writing up the pattern for the Rose Basket. (uh oh - it even has a name now) I need to make one in pink for Mom. Her birthdays in a week and a half. I might as well right it up while I'm making it. I even named the flower RoseRed's Irish Rose. I finally made one of my own - yippee!!!

Did you guys see that aran purse? I think I need to make one of those too.

Hubby's friend came over yesterday and saw all the tp toppers on the kitchen counter. He said his mom has those in all her bathrooms but he never saw any as cool as the ones that I made. It was great!

That's so cool. Every pattern is copyrighted - so are the pics that go with the pattern. You'll need permission from the copyright holder to use their pics or their pattern. All you have to do is ask for it. Most people will say sure.

Right now I'm writing up the pattern for the Rose Basket. (uh oh - it even has a name now) I need to make one in pink for Mom. Her birthdays in a week and a half. I might as well right it up while I'm making it. I even named the flower RoseRed's Irish Rose. I finally made one of my own - yippee!!!

Hubby's friend came over yesterday and saw all the tp toppers on the kitchen counter. He said his mom has those in all her bathrooms but he never saw any as cool as the ones that I made. It was great!

How cool is that!?!

I love the name you are picking for your roses. Can't wait.

Yay!! I can't wait, I love that one. Your husband's friend is right, I think they are so nice.

Its on my blog (below) but here it is:

th_CoffeeCupSweater.jpg

I love it! Wonderful job and absolutely kitsch!

WE have the water lily with goldfish. still looking for my googly eyes.

DSCN0025.jpg

and the rose in the basketweave basket

DSCN0022.jpg

I'm going to go put close ups on my blog.

They are beautiful!

DSCN0028.jpg

I just winged this one. I'm going to go post a quick tut on my blog with a link to the origonal.

Another lovely mug cover!

sc is not my friend either. It wasn't too too terrible last night cuz I cheated.

Denise - I hope you don't mind (and I really do mean that) but there is no way on God's Green Earth that I would ever make an entire cover in sc. The top was bad enough!

DSCN0030.jpg

The problem with this is I worked it back and forth so it has those wonky lines. I just sewed up the inside to form the cover part. the top I did 12dc for the center. and then switched to sc in the back loop quite honestly - i like yours better but this'll do for hubby.

I love it a tp cover for a roll of tp! Wonderful kitsch!

I've been lurking here for a while, but haven't joined yet as I'm still finishing up Christmas projects. :hook These pictures are inspiring me though and I may just have to try something or other. :devil

:wooMy mom picked her gifts for this year (she does that every year), and they are Kitsch! She wants tissue box covers that are houses, and some containers that need to be snowmen. I might even need to try a new bed doll for her (the one I made some years back has discolored.)

I am sooo excited... I have been following this thread, and am so very impressed with everyone's work! Now, I can join!:yes:yay

RoseRed: your tp covers are very stylish! you do nice work, and I think it's cool how you named your roses.

hey, Darski! : :thankyou for starting this really fun CAL!

Ok, I just need to go to Joann's to buy different white. The one I'm using is too flimsy for my tp cover, I think.

Until that happens I have contented myself by making a granny square tissue box cover in sage...I have 3 squares done so far. Last night I needed a quick fix so I made up a little Snitch for the Harry Potter nerd lurking inside of me. :lol I will post some pics as soon as I find my camera cord. :clap

Thank you.

This pattern is a bear to write up. I'm trying to make it easy so anyone can do it - from advanced beginner on up. I'm finally on a roll now. lolol

:rofl I was a little slow on the uptake... then I got it!

can't wait to try your patterns:hook

I have the pattern set. I changed the leaf shape a little and tightened up the weave by using an H hook. It is perfect! I just have to upload the pic. The pattern is halfway written up. I gave up and just made the darn thing. I'll get back to writing it xcuz I'm making a better purple one for my bathroom.

It's ok to tease - I love to laugh!

Anyways - here's the pics of Mom's Rose Basket. I did a LOT of leaves around the edges and I don't think I like it. I'm making a better purple one for me so I can finish up tweaking the pattern.

Anybody want to pattern test the irish rose for me?

top view

DSCN0034.jpg

basket view with smaller hook

DSCN0032.jpg

I know - I'm anal - but at least I'm decorating my toilet paper.

Do you guys want to laugh with me? I asked hubby to take down the cake dish off the top of the fridge. He thought I was going to make a cake. I come in with a round ripple with a hole in the middle and duh - the hole was too small. I got all agravated cux I had to do it all over again because I was too lazy to get up in the first place.

so he says to me - R u going to cover everything in here? The look on his face was priceless.

I might have told you this before - (bad car wreck - my brain is a what do you call that thing that you drain pasta in with the holes in it? Darski knows lol)

I shall be sure to ask Darski lol.

Your toilet tissue cover is beautiful tho. Cannot wait to see it in purple.

My hubby loves it when I try crocheting, he does not care. Why should he he watches tv or plays games on his puter. Gee and we have only been married a little over three years. lol

Hope you are doing okay since your accident. I was in one several years ago and had four generations in my car. (no was not my fault) No one was hurt tho. Just aches and pains.

I would like to try the pattern but I am not very fast.

I would love to test it for you! :clap:hook Just the rose, or the whole thing? :think I like your pink one, too. The word you are thinking of-- Is it a sieve?

Tina

It's ok to tease - I love to laugh!

Anyways - here's the pics of Mom's Rose Basket. I did a LOT of leaves around the edges and I don't think I like it. I'm making a better purple one for me so I can finish up tweaking the pattern.

Anybody want to pattern test the irish rose for me?

top view

DSCN0034.jpg

basket view with smaller hook

DSCN0032.jpg

I know - I'm anal - but at least I'm decorating my toilet paper.

Do you guys want to laugh with me? I asked hubby to take down the cake dish off the top of the fridge. He thought I was going to make a cake. I come in with a round ripple with a hole in the middle and duh - the hole was too small. I got all agravated cux I had to do it all over again because I was too lazy to get up in the first place.

so he says to me - R u going to cover everything in here? The look on his face was priceless.

I might have told you this before - (bad car wreck - my brain is a what do you call that thing that you drain pasta in with the holes in it? Darski knows lol)

the word is collander and you don't want to know how I know that!

Rosered, that is just the most beautiful rose. I will be happy to test that for you.

:drool

I am going to copy those pics and keep them in my "too beautiful to be possible" picture file. :manyheart

@Margret... I figure anyone who can manage a chain st is a crocheter in my books. Actually anyone who can drool over crochet pics is a crocheter in my book. :ghug

Guys - thank you soooooooo much!

For now - just rose but when I get the basket done I'm going to need testers for that too.

pm me your email and I'll send out the pattern for the rose part. Darski - I already have yours so as soon as I finish up (in a just a little bit) I'll send it out.

The car wreck was a few years ago. I thank God everyday how much of my brain came back. Its just frustrating.

Archived