Kitsch as Kitsch Can Cal

darski

I love this kind of stuff. I would love to join. (Like I need another project, :blush but hey... :hook) They make fun little gifts or RAOKs. I don't know if anyone has seen the Pumpkin TP Cover I did a while back. I really like the flower one you did RoseRed. I think the very first thing/pattern I made up was a TP cover to match our shower curtain when my husband and I were first married.

Tina

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@RoseRed... i can't wait to see what you come up with... with your taste and style we won't be able to say kitsch.

You're so sweet! It just blows my mind when I read things like this about me. I don't ever think of myself that way. I read that and it's like WOW!!! Thank you.

But - Believe me when I say - I can do kitsch! I grew up with it. My Grandmother was as kitsch as you can get. One of these days I'm going to have to find all my old barbie doll clothes that she made and post a tribute.

Larry juts brought out the coffee cup so I can get a pic of it to share with you guys. lolol

Well at long last I am working on my TP roll TP cover. I grabbed a mill end of white that I have. I admit I was really missing my RH white which I just love for stuff like this. Now that I have most of the top finished I am liking this silky, shiny white for this after all. Who knew?

Just to let you know that I am on it and will have my TP cover soon

OWWW! I hate small hooks. I am making this with a 4mm hook and it is killing me.

I'm going to take the rest of the day off from crocheting and use my wrist support. I'll work on this a bit at a time.

I don't want to lose my hands for another week :eek

What size hook is good for you sweetie? I put the foam cushions and then the gel pencil grippies on my hooks and then they're comfy for my poor hands.

Thanx Crissie!

pretty soon I'll be drowning in these things lolol

darski, you'd have to play with it to determine the stitch counts, but I think this could work nicely with hdc or dc too.

Start off with a sc, then do hdc-dc to ramp up to dc. Work in the back loops, and when the circle is the right size, use hdc-sc to ramp down to a smooth ending. And there's no real need to use sc for the broad surface of the toilet paper. If hdc or dc works better for you, use that. Toilet papers have different textures, so play with it. Especially if it hurts to do sc.

Kitsch is supposed to be fun. Not painful. (Except, possibly, to those who have a highly developed dislike of kitsch.)

Thanks Denise, I think I may rip back the couple of rows on the straight part and work them in hdc. it might be easier over all and the look will still be uniform.

Thanks for the suggestion. it was your pattern so I didn't want to be messing around much. the top in sc and the "paper" in hdc could be 'a look' too :wlol

i did a stitch, don't know if its a legal one, but its just a tad taller than a sc, but you get the same effect. with a sc you just go into the stitch, then yo, and pull through both loops...my version is:

yo, then insert into st, yo and pull through 3 loops. that completes the stitch.

see if you like it...

sc is not my friend either, but sometimes its necessary. usually when i have to do alot of sc rows, thats when i sit it down for a bit, and hesitate in going back to it.

I found it!!!:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

The coffee cup tp cover!

Darski - you're so bad for my spare time - I'm hunting tp covers now :bang

(there's nothing on tv and I look like this :sick)

freepatterns.com has a bunch in the Home Decor Section (including the aquarium):

maggie's rosebuds around (I think they look like tulips)

the toilet paper roll cover

Hope you feel better soon. Maybe you could use a bowl of soup TP cover. Oh lord there goes the brain again. Its gone into warped mode. :lol Now I have to see if I can find the time to design one. If someone does let me know. I love this idea but don't have the time right now.

DARSKI QUIT MAKING ME WANT TO JOIN THIS CAL!!! :devil:lol:hug

I found a poodle tissue topper. I did not save the page because my anti virus program said it stopped something on the page. I did go ahead and print it out tho. Not really cute but its a poodle.

I think I know what poodle tp cover you're talking about, Margret. I have been thinking about trying to re-create the one I made when my husband and I were first married. We'll see if I can do it. I need to finish up a couple things first, though.

Tina

That sounds like HDC or maybe the herringbone hdc stitch

According to Sandi at Crochet Cabana that is hhdc :yay

I believe that hhdc is- yo, insert into next stitch, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, yo, draw through remaining two loops. I've used that in a pattern before and it is very pretty. The stitch you're describing sounds like an hdc, I think.

My kitsch has been set aside for a couple of days. I made a rr for my oldest daughter and now my 4 y/o is asking when she will have one. I started work on hers last night (using leftovers as she asked right before bedtime and I had no way to go to the store that late) and today while making dinner, she brought it to me and asked me to "finish her rainbow blanket." I only have about 8 more rows to go, so once that is finished, I will be back on the kitsch train! :clap

I believe that hhdc is- yo, insert into next stitch, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, yo, draw through remaining two loops. I've used that in a pattern before and it is very pretty. The stitch you're describing sounds like an hdc, I think.

:think the first stitch you describe is how i do my hdc...i'm goin over to the cabana to see what i'm really doing. :lol

Stacy...you are absolutely correct according to crochetcabana.

:think

so...

the hdc is the stitch i thought i made up...yo, insert in st, yo & pull through all 3 loops, complete stitch.

:eek when i do my hdc stitches, i ...

yo, insert in st, yo & pull through 2 loops, yo, pull through rem 2 loops...complete stitch.

the hhdc (herringbone hdc) is yo, insert in st, (don't yo) pull through 1 loop, yo, pull through 2 loops.

:blush I looked up dc on the cabana...i'm doing it wrong too:

dc yo, insert in st, yo & pull through, yo, pull 2 loops, yo, pull through 2 loops...complete.

when i do my dc...yo, pull through st, yo, pull through 1 loop, yo, pull through 2, then yo pull through 2 loops...complete.

What am I doing??? :lol

guess i need a refresher course...:lol

sc is not my friend either. It wasn't too too terrible last night cuz I cheated.

Denise - I hope you don't mind (and I really do mean that) but there is no way on God's Green Earth that I would ever make an entire cover in sc. The top was bad enough!

DSCN0030.jpg

The problem with this is I worked it back and forth so it has those wonky lines. I just sewed up the inside to form the cover part. the top I did 12dc for the center. and then switched to sc in the back loop quite honestly - i like yours better but this'll do for hubby.

That herringbone sound interesting - so now I have to go check out too. lolol

i really like that RoseRed. I am going to work mine in hdc in rounds so it should be interesting

well folks you now know the awful truth. My mind simply cannot deal with the words that describe a stitch. You may have noticed that I always use a link to someone else's directions :rofl

Archived