Kitsch as Kitsch Can Cal

darski

HI ladies:

Thank you for your kind words and I will continue to llok for then links to more knick knacks... Maybe we can shake the worl again with all these great patterns...

hugs

Lillibet

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this CAL and just had to stop in. I've got too much on my plate right now, but when I get caught up, as the old Schwartznager movie goes, "I'll be back" (now that is kitschy).

BTW, here is definition of Kitsch:

kitsch [ kich ]

noun

artistic objects that are collectively: decorative items regarded as vulgar, tasteless, useless, sentimental, or ostentatious in style

[Early 20th century. < German< kitschen "throw together"]

kitsch·y adjective

Meanwhile a few places you might want to check out

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/completelist.htm

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/completelist.htm

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80773AD.html

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80757AD.html

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80657AD.html

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/uffizi/uffizi.html

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/gelsomina/gelsomina.html

And ami's, freeform and granny scrapghans can be put in this category too. Bikini's from the 60's, babette afghans, and anything like that too.

Personally, I think alot of the things I have made fit into this category. And I am not just talking crochet, :lol.

Happy,

I think everyone's idea of Kitsch is different because some of those links I think are very elegant. Especially the lacey fingerless gloves. :)

I think of kitsch as more of a tacky knick knack kind of thing... I love my Amis but don't think of them as kitsch :)

Darski, the pattern you linked to in the first post made me laugh out loud :-D

Isn't it a riot! Have you seen the toilet paper scarf? I don't think it necessarily qualifies as kitsch, but it's definately tacky.. LOL

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248505.0

I totally agree, and didn't say it to offend anyone.:blush

Kitsch is a preferential thing. Like the old saying, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I just listed things that fit into the dictionary's definition.

As I stated, alot of what I make is kitsch. Kitsch is sort of the opposite of Classic.

I love fingerless gloves and wrist warmers, the ones in the link are uber elegant, but not practical or classic in the everyday sense of the word. Hence they are kitchy.

I love kitchy, and don't just think of it as trashy knick knacks. I think of it as out of the ordinary and until a while ago, ami's were virtually unheard of. In fact until I joined here last year (and I have been crocheting 58+ years) I never heard of an Ami. I just made stuffed animals and such. And when mentioned or shown to people not exposed to craft or toy making experiences, may result in disbelief. Not to say it didn't exist, just that it was out of the ordinary, sentimental and many of them creatures of our imagination.

Sentimental doesn't have to mean "old". It could be something new too.

In fact I am currently involved in a CAL for an Irish Crochet Scarf. Regular Irish Crochet is dainty lace and flowers. This scarf imitates the use of Floral appliques, but they are by no means dainty. Still it appeals to a lot of us in a sentimental, obstentatious, kitschy way. :D:wink.

Kitsch is a German word that kinda means trashy art ... knick knacks may be a more common term. But anyway, being from a German background [maternal side] I have to admit; I've seen my share of kitsch in my day! My mom still holds on to all those things my grandparents had. Even the TP covers my grandmother seemed to collect! They are fun and easy to make ... and can be quite useful especially in a small bathroom. Maybe I'll try a couple myself? :scrachin I'm enjoying looking through all the links.

thank you for making the correction. I just discovered my mistake and didn't get back to fix it.

I love the word itself actually... it just has a ring to it that people seem to 'get'.

I've done my hat of the week now so I can go in search of Mr Grey so I can start my TP roll TP cover. I love writing that :wlol

Ok, ok...you don't have to twist my arm- I'm in for the tp cover! I don't think I have any white, though, so I'll have to run to Jo-Ann's in the next couple days (darn! :lol) Meanwhile, I've found some pink Paton Grace in the bottom of my tote, so I am going to make a nice little apron for my Santa soap pump. :D

Lillibet- your items are beautiful!! I love your animal tp covers. :hook

Hi Stacy:

Welcome aboard too.... Thaks for your comments on my animal tp they are a older pattern from Annies attic.. I love making them ....

I got my eyes on one from the links i posted yesterday the one that is a hat with a large rose on the side... I definately going to make some of them soon... will post as i go along..

hugs

Lillibet

Isn't it a riot! Have you seen the toilet paper scarf? I don't think it necessarily qualifies as kitsch, but it's definately tacky.. LOL

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248505.0

I been thinking of joining this CAL. like I need more WIPs. But I do need to make this scarf. Perfect gift for a SIL who actually hoardes toilet paper. From what I understand she has an OCD about it.

I been thinking of joining this CAL. like I need more WIPs. But I do need to make this scarf. Perfect gift for a SIL who actually hoardes toilet paper. From what I understand she has an OCD about it.

Oh my! I think my grandmother has the same condition... with paper towels too. She's 80 something and lives alone, but she still buys those gigantic multipaks. It's like she's expecting the next ice age or something.. LOL

As for the scarf.. I totally want to make it for my grandson as a toy.. He loves to sneak in the bathroom and snatch a roll of tp for himself. It's one of his favorite toys. He just sits there and plays with it until we take it away from him... then he screams like he's lost his best friend! LOL

HI Beasteezgurl:

Please show us your coffee cup sweater that sounds so cute...

hugs

Lillibet

I made a sweater for my insulated coffee cup...does that count as Kitsch-y?? Or do I have to make a tp cover to qualify?? hehehehe

I have it posted on my blog (link's in my siggy)...it matches my "i-don't-wanna-be-a-book-cozie" purse I finished yesterday.

I tell ya though...if i had a spare bathroom, you know, like one no-one uses...i'd make all kinds of stuff for it - and i'd probably have to make that tp scarf, and mount it on tp holder on the wall!!!

Hey, some people set up fake dinner tables with fine china and fake food & desserts...why not set up a "fake" bathroom outta crocheted stuff?? :rofl

Oh my! I think my grandmother has the same condition... with paper towels too. She's 80 something and lives alone, but she still buys those gigantic multipaks. It's like she's expecting the next ice age or something.. LOL

As for the scarf.. I totally want to make it for my grandson as a toy.. He loves to sneak in the bathroom and snatch a roll of tp for himself. It's one of his favorite toys. He just sits there and plays with it until we take it away from him... then he screams like he's lost his best friend! LOL

I am going to make one if not both for the SIL. Then inform her DH made me do it so she never has to hoarde it again. She appearently does this so no one can use the tp. Even in public. Dunno what is wrong with her. :think If she ever visits I plan on hiding the tp. Or taking my own if I visit her. But that is if I ever got to AZ again.

I have it posted on my blog (link's in my siggy)...it matches my "i-don't-wanna-be-a-book-cozie" purse I finished yesterday.

I tell ya though...if i had a spare bathroom, you know, like one no-one uses...i'd make all kinds of stuff for it - and i'd probably have to make that tp scarf, and mount it on tp holder on the wall!!!

Hey, some people set up fake dinner tables with fine china and fake food & desserts...why not set up a "fake" bathroom outta crocheted stuff?? :rofl

Because you'd be the first one 'stuck; in the bathroom yelling for tp if you mounted it on the wall. :laughroll

I made a sweater for my insulated coffee cup...does that count as Kitsch-y?? Or do I have to make a tp cover to qualify?? hehehehe

YES, yes you do! Just cuz it would be fun! :lol And, why does an insulated coffee cup need a sweater? ... I guess that is Kitsch after all!

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Seriously, I'd love to see it!

:lol And, why does an insulated coffee cup need a sweater? ... I guess that is Kitsch after all!

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Yep...because its fun, and it matches my funky purse I just made, and because it helps keep it more insulated, and because, I like it!!!

Can't wait til I can start on this CAL. Finally getting my to-do's down, Wish I had a few more hands, could finish twice as fast. Oh no that wouldn't work, brain has hard enough time keeping up with one at a time...:lol.

Wow crissie that sweater cozie is just too darn cute now i got to go and buy one of them thermals so i can make it one of themsweater type things.. Its so cute ..

hugs

Lillibet

Why thank you!! I had a meeting today, and of course, took my coffee cup wrapped in its sweater...got a chuckle from a couple people, and the only other girl there said, wow, that is a really neat idea to keep your coffee warmer, especially in this cold weather. (I don't think it hit 30 today and its supposed to be down to 9 by tomorrow night)

Archived