[Ended] Snowflakes in July Along

Julie

I got four snowflakes done today but only because I am off today and had some time on my hands. May not get as many done the rest of the week but its fun anyways.

Mary:cheer

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy here Iam at a familiar place with my cals!!My dd fell sick on her birthday and I had my hands full taking care of her and her puppy , a bassett hound which DH had presented to her!! More about the puppy in a separate post:) Hoping to make up for lost time yesterday(its 26th morning here btw)

Hugs

Vims

PS I could only drool at the lurex:( maybe I should add it to my wish list :)

Way to go Mary! :cheer

Well, these lil' snowflakes are a bit trickier than I thought! I got three done today, but only one in thread. I posted pictures on my blog if anyone's interested.

:flake :flake :flake :flake:flake:flake:flake:flake:flake

After reading everyone's posts, I think I'm going to have to make a quick trip to the JoAnn's or Beverly's tomorrow after work to pick up some glitter and beads to add some pizazz to my snowflakes.

Glad you are feeling better Julie.

Great work on the snowflakes!! I promise to get some done tonight after work! I was a little bit preoccupied yesterday! :) I've decided to do some in a peach thread I have to go on my mum's Christmas tree (this years theme is Peach and Teal - its a two tree household - a formal fancy one by mom for the front window and a 14 foot mish mash of colors in the family room by Dad!) As well as some of the red thread with lurex for gift tags! But first I have a day of work to get through...is it time to go home yet????? :lol

Well, yesterday I got 3 done and one about halfway, and I'll get some pictures posted later today. When I joined this CAL I had nothing scheduled for this week, but doesn't life just have a way of throwing us curves! It's going to be a busy week for me so I'm going to aim for 2 a day I think, to use as package toppers. I'm so envious of you ladies and your lurex though! I looked for any sparkly thread or lurex here, but once again Norfolk's reputation as the crafts wasteland holds up. Next time, though, I'll know to order in advance!

I started yesterday but only was able to get few minutes and was even able to finish 1 snowflake:embar Hoping for better luck today:2blush

:flake Wow, you guys are doing great!! Today we are going to Sam's Club which isn't noteworthy - but the hour long drive in each direction is. I normally take something to work on in the car but don't know that snowflakes are going to work with all that bouncing. Little hook, tiny thread? I'll be gone for most of the day but will try to come up with something snowflake oriented for the ride if I can. If not, I will be clutching thread and hook and trying not to get too irritated. :flake

Wow! Those photos are beautiful! Everyone's got so much done already and I feel terrible. I started my first snowflake last night (no. 12 in the White Treasures pattern book), got to the fourth and final round, and realized that round wasn't coming out right. I frogged it, made dinner, and had just started it again when a friend of mine unexpectedly showed up. I'd talked to her over the weekend, and had told her that my mom had taught me to knit while she was here earlier this month, but that a mutual friend, T, had seen me practicing and told me it was all wrong! So my friend M stopped by after work to help me out. Well, I couldn't refuse her offer of help, and I figured knitting wasn't crocheting, so I wasn't really cheating on the CAL. :blush Anyway, turns out my mom, who taught herself to knit, does it completely backwards, so she's working on the inside instead of the outside of the item, although it looks the same in the end. So I spent several hours with M relearning how to knit and purl (I still like crochet much better, but thought it was good for me to learn to do this). I will go back to my snowflake tonight and try to finish it and another one.

I agree, this is harder than I thought! I guess I got cocky after that bookmark swap, when I though, hey, this thread work isn't that bad. Hah! I thought the first large snowflake in the book would be the easiest; I probably was wrong.

Patty

:hook I finished three snowflakes last night. I'm using the Sweetie the Snowflake pattern for ornaments for Christmas. Today I'm going to try a snowflake square for the random square swap.

I got one done! After forgetting my crochet bag yesterday I wasn't sure if I'd get one finished since the house really needed cleaned, but I got hubby to do the dishes and I did the laundry and crocheted in between :hook

Photo here: http://daisywreath.net/gallery/thread/snowflake01

It's blurry. All my thread project photos are blurry, the camera just can't handle it. But you get the idea... Shame it didn't come out clearer, though. The "metallic" thread isn't so much metallic as it has an iridescent strand running through it--at home it was mostly pinkish or bluish, but here (brought it to work since didn't have time to photograph it at home) it sparkles green and blue instead.

Stacey, that is really lovely, well done!!

I ended up frogging and redoing 2 snowflakes that at least look like snowflakes now!! :cheer They looked like washcloths for a while!:eek

I'm trying another pattern tonight, so wish me luck. How do you stop them "frilling" at the edge and get them to lay flat? :think Or is it a case of stiffening them up later with starch or something? Sorry for being dense.

Alison

Thank you! :)

At first I was going to stiffen mine with starch, but I didn't think it'd be enough, and I remembered Julie talking about stiffening with glue. So I made a mixture of Elmer's glue and water (about half and half, but probably a little more water than glue) and soaked it in that, then blotted off the excess before I pinned it out.

I need to print out the snowflake blocking guide at the snowflake crochet site that someone linked to in this thread, too--I did this one by guessing if I had it lined up straight and it was hard to do that way!

I am a day late but count me in

Mary Ann

I have been working on Christmas decorations this last week any way. Last week, not this week. I have made a candy cane holder and 6 snow fakes and five round ball ornaments that I crocheted around the sation ball ornaments.

I have been doing only yarn but this will get me doing thread snow flakes.

Now I have to lay down Dot's pinapple poncho. Till next week.

Waa!!!!!

Mary Ann

Can't share pics but can give the sites of the ones I make

I just found this cal today. I have never been in one before. If I could make One by the end of the week I will be happy :) . I have read the other threads and saved some of the patterns. Could someone suggest the Easiest snowflake I should start with. I have never used thread and will need to get small hook, or is there something using yarn? I appreciate your help!! Your snowflakes are beautiful :clap:cheer

Colleen

The iridescent is the best I think by far for snowflakes. I've bought the clear, pearl and iridescent and like that one the best. Don't be thrown by the photo, it's not a great one, but the Lurex is. Plus, it blends really well with other pastel colors too, so it isn't as if you would only use it with white.

I totally agree with this -- I have silver and a handful of other colors, and I just prefer the iridescent so much that I (ahem) am only using it for snowflakes now. Plus for some reason I have an easier time working with it.

I'm trying another pattern tonight, so wish me luck. How do you stop them "frilling" at the edge and get them to lay flat? :think Or is it a case of stiffening them up later with starch or something? Sorry for being dense.

Alison

That's not dense at all. Snowflakes need to be blocked and stiffened (if you're going for the hang-it-on-the-tree type). They'll lay flat as a pancake once you block them out, and stiffening will insure that all their little arms are standing up as they should. :U

I thought the first large snowflake in the book would be the easiest; I probably was wrong.

Patty

Snowflakes aren't always created equal. Sometimes big is easy, sometimes not so much. I just do the ones that appeal to me when I am ready to make a snowflake. I give myself permission to cut and run if I'm not getting it too. There are tons of great patterns available that I refuse to allow myself to stress over one I'm not understanding.

my little snowflakes hex blocks are saying they want to be the bottom edge of a cardi. I'll get the bottom edge (including sleeve edgings) done, then it will be a ripple cardi! :manyheart

Too cute Melissa!

I'm midway through my second one, but it's a biggie. I think tomorrow I'll finally be able to devote some real time to snowflakes, this being sick/busy thing is driving me nuts! :lol

I have finished one so far... my fat fingers seem to get in the way of the little tiny crochet hook and the thread sticks to me cuz it's so bloody hot & humid. when I get home from work...I'm a puddle. snpwflakes & christmas =cool weather & snow; both which seem so distant right now... did I mention it's HOT?

hopefully, I'll be able to get another one out soon... maybe two...

Archived