Red Heart Yarns

charkitty

My W-M carries RH in the soft baby, baby sport, super saver, light and lofty, bright and lofty and foxy. It also carries Bernat soft baby and Lion Brand Homespun, suede, fun fur and a couple of others. It also carries some Caron Simply Soft and Mainstays.

I haven't seen where they're phasing out the RH.

:frog

You know, Lion Brand seems to have taken over, hasn't it?

We still carry quite a bit of Red Heart Super Saver in the store (and some TLC, Baby Clouds, etc.), but they never seem to send us very much to fill the bins! I know the planogram is being changed soon, so I am not sure what is going and what is staying yet. They're starting to slap clearance stickers up, so keep an eye on those.

I've been trying to find a particular color to finish a baby afghan and have been to 3 wal-marts with no luck. :( I'm not sure when I bought what I'm using, but I don't think it is THAT old. I'll try Jo-Ann or Michaels, or on-line.

I don't think they are being phased out. I just think the stores are slow in restocking. My local Walmart and Joann are very slow in replenishing the shelves. And my local Ragshop just started selling Red Heart yarn within the last month.

Madelyn

I don't think they're phasing them out but they are carrying more of other stuff at walmart. I have 3 walmarts near me and a michales and I can't for the life of me find peach red heart:think ?? I need it for dolls and Thank God I have a friend sending me some.

My Wal-Marts both have tons. I panicked a couple weeks ago to see that they were stripping the shelves of yarn, I thought for sure I was going to lose half of it. They were just adding new stuff. New RH colors, too, brighter ones than usual. Not quite as much novelty yarns but that's good too. That stuff adds up in cost too fast sometimes! ;)

I've been trying to find a particular color to finish a baby afghan and have been to 3 wal-marts with no luck. :( I'm not sure when I bought what I'm using, but I don't think it is THAT old. I'll try Jo-Ann or Michaels, or on-line.

What color are you looking for? :)

Slow in replenishing is right... and the blame falls solely on the warehouse. Sometimes I will go through the RH with whoever is in the craft department to make a list of what we need, and sneak it in with my monthly supply orders for the classes! It's ridiculous. Yet they send us tons and tons of stuff we already have plenty of... you should SEE the Fun Fur overstock in my store! Insanity.

*shakes an angry fist at Hudson, Ohio*

• 2 weeks later...

suebee, its the same at our store. is nuts. lots and lots of fun fur:( but new shipments coming i guess, at least thats what they told me when i went hunting for some yarn i wanted. the clearance sales are awesome, but reallllly like the clearance sales that have 50% off the clearance prices:lol :lol :lol :lol got me some cool stuff the other day:devil :devil :devil how is your classes coming? do you fill them regulary or sporadictly, ours is both. but my summer camp has a quite a few kids in it. for those of you who don't know what that is, joanns has a summer camp for kids , it is a week long, 2 hours a day, and only 50.00 for the whole week, just think 2 whole hours a day without the kids. how much can that be worth:lol :lol :lol :lol , they have a lot of different things to do, but my favorite of course is the yarn one.so if ya have a joanns super store near you, and have kids which are between 5 and 14 i think the age is, come on in and sign up. kids will have fun, so will you:devil :devil :devil :devil remember thats 2 hours EVERYDAY for 5 days:devil :devil:lol :lol vicki

3doxies- What color are you lokking for?

I can check around here and see if my stores have it. I know I bought yarn over a year ago(on sale) and went to make a baby blanket, I needed just a tiny bit more...I couldn't find it! At the moment I have a Jo-anns, and AC moore and a Walmart to shop from. Jo-anns has nothing for yarn...just about 15 bins, and it's all Homespun. Ac Moore has isles and isles of yarn, but didn't they don't have all the RH Baby yarns, and my Wal-Mart has one isle of yarn! After going through bins and helping myself to a ladder and looking at the overhead, I found the yarn I needed! Don't worry all you Wal-mart employees...lol...I put everything back in it's place(I use to work the craft department at Ames-I would never leave a store with a mess!!).

Is this an East--West thing? I live in the East, and my Two Super W-Marts right here in my town, do not carry enough RH anymore to merrit going in and shopping for it. And Peach, I haven't seen it here in a couple of years. Having to substitute coral.

I don't think they're phasing them out but they are carrying more of other stuff at walmart. I have 3 walmarts near me and a michales and I can't for the life of me find peach red heart:think ?? I need it for dolls and Thank God I have a friend sending me some.

I'm on the East Coast too (Norfolk, VA) and my nearest 2 Wal-Marts only have one short aisle of yarn each, almost a quarter of which is their cruddy store brand which is WAY too stiff and scratchy feeling for me even to consider making something with and another quarter of which is novelty yarns ... nifty, but I'm not going to make an afghan out of eyelash yarn or fun fur :(

And pattern booklets? I see people saying "I got this one at my Wal-Mart" all the time. Not at mine! They have maybe, MAYBE 4 or 5 crochet booklets total. Maybe. I'm being generous here.

Same with the local Michael's; 1.5 aisles of yarn, rarely fully stocked, very few colors in any given brand and usually out of the pretty ones (or too low to buy enough in one dyelot to finish a project). Very few knitting/crochet books. It's really frustrating, and just plain weird to me; Norfolk is a military town, tons of active and retired military here, you'd think other people knit and crochet :(

I'm going to take a chance today and drive almost 30 minutes to the nearest JoAnn's and hope hope hope they have a decent yarn selection. If not, I'll be doing all my ordering online which I hate to do with yarns I haven't seen/felt before :(

Speaking of finding yard. I hear what everyone is saying about all our favorite strores for yarn and yes the West coast is having the same problem.

I see a very bad shortage of yarn in all 3 places Walm..michaels...JAs for red heart and types I like ...the old name brands that was making great things for me...........and its just not fair..........sales are very few and stock is terrible.

Some new yarns are skimmy and not good sportage in weaving.

Seems this light feathery stuff is suppose to be the in thing but .......I for one will not spend that kind of money for it to make a boa or necklace and for afghans ..........ha forget it ................how long this fad going to last?

I have gone on line and ordered from couple of ware houses and find what I want don't like the ideal of shipping but some will give free shipping with certain amount spent........of course I know its not the same as just picking up a couple of steins but will help make the driving around looking for what you want.

I'm totally frustrated with my local yarn situation at this point; went to a different WalMart, drove across town to the JoAnns, and even went to another store (can't remember the name .. CM Moore or something) and BLEH. WalMart has the best selection and that's SAD, their selection is crap... at least they have more than 4 colors of the Caron Simply Soft though, which is what the Moore store had, and JoAnn's wasn't much better! The Moore store did have a lot of the Homespun, but at a horrendously high price; I can buy online and pay for shipping and come out better than that.

I don't mind buy online with yarn I know, but how do you find new yarn that way? I want to see it and give it the touch test before I pay good money for it :(

suebee, ... how is your classes coming? do you fill them regulary or sporadictly, ours is both. but my summer camp has a quite a few kids in it.

Summer is always slower... it's been sporadic. I've been canceling a lot. :( Classes that have been running have been running on the minimum enrollment numbers (3).

But I have 4 people right now for my Crochet I in July! So yay!

There's only 1 kid in the yarn camp right now... I was hoping there would be more... but it's not until mid-august, so we have time. :) I don't teach it... I'm not great with large groups of kids.

How are you doing with that granny square for fall (assuming you're teaching that class). I ended up redesigning it. The square they chose was too difficult, I think, considering the yarn (Homespun, T&Q Chenille) and the hook size (H) -- and considering that many students who would sign up for that class have only had Crochet I. My hand hurt for three days after making the first square!!! Honestly, what are these people thinking? So I found a different square, and made a bag out of it, my way. :D

Yes, Mainstays is the WalMart 'brand' in all their departments, not just yarn.

If the yarn department is like all the others, over time you'll be seeing more and more Mainstay yarn and less of any other brand. Just be thankful that you don't live in a rural area like I do; when WalMart is the only place to shop the parade of horrible begins.........selection and choice is a thing of the past.

The Knitting Warehouse (THUD) is a reasonable substitute for yarn shopping in the big box stores with respect to the standard brands like Red Heart, Caron, Bernat, Patons, Lion and so forth. Shipping is a flat $5.99 which is offset by not paying sales taxes (other than for California residents) and not using any gas to drive to the stores. They have many more colors than any retailer I have visited.

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn.html

EugeneClarence

Archived