oragnizing

Hello everyone!

I'm kinda new,....haven't seen a post like this, but I was wondering how does everyone keep their yarn organized? And where do you stash it? I have mine in a cupboard, but I had to give up a shelf for my college books, so now that yarn is in a big bin, I'm not liking that because I can't see what yarn and colors I have without having to dig up everything.:think

Any suggestions?

~LeeAnn

I use the clear zippered bags that comforters come in. Humm...piles are everywhere to the dismay of my family. I have also used the very large ziploc bags (the ones with handles) for my unfinished projects. That way if someone spilles a drink on the table, I doesn't ruin anything I am working on.

I have a bookcase full (5 shelves), 6 large totes, 3 medium totes, 2 small totes for thread, 2 shelves in the linen closet (soon to be 3), and a toy box full.

Oh, I also have plastic bags full along with one of the HUGE ziploc bags.

Plus 3 baskets of yarn.

Yep, I have a lot of yarn.

Hi,

I use clear plastic totes that I get at Wally World. I have the 27 qt size and 13 qt size. The larger one holds probly at least 16-20 full skeins of yarn. The brand is Sterlite and the larger one costs around $5.00. The lids snap on good, so you can really cram the yarn in without the lid popping off.

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions. I am going to walymart tomorrow, see what I can find that is clear, I have a lot of yarn too.....the other 4 shelves are full and then I have a cart that has 3 drawers for scrap yarn...can't seem to stop collecting yarn. lol

thank you again!

~LeeAnn :clap

th_yarn001.jpg

Solid colors

th_yarn002.jpg

Verigated

th_yarn003-1.jpg

Cotton and Thread

th_yarn005-1.jpg

Baby yarn

clickable

This is how I keep all of my yarn organized! It was a lot of work to get all of this set up and arranged the way I wanted it but it is so worth it. I love being able to sit in the craft room and look at all the yarn! :devil

I keep all of mine in the clear plastic totes I found at Walmart. They are great. I used to use the big rubbermaid totes that were in colors, but have switched over. I stil have some in the other totes, but am working it to all clear.

I wish I could have a craft room. But right now it isn't possable.

Mine was stored on open shelves and some plastic drawers until I had to pack it up in the hopes of moving.

The handiest thing I found for keeping track of my yarn was that when I got new yarn I'd add it to a spreadsheet before I'd put it with the rest. That way I knew if I owned it and I could also just print off my spreadsheet before going shopping to help remind me what I do and don't have. :)

I keep all of mine in the clear plastic totes I found at Walmart. They are great. I used to use the big rubbermaid totes that were in colors, but have switched over. I stil have some in the other totes, but am working it to all clear.

I wish I could have a craft room. But right now it isn't possable.

Melissa, I just visited your blog and really enjoyed reading it. You have a lovely family and home. I really enjoyed looking at your projects and was especially taken by the baby sweater you are working on. May I ask, is that a pattern that is available or is it your own? I would love to make that same sweater for my baby granddaughter. Would appreciate it if you can share the pattern source, and if not, well, I'll have to try to wing it.

Have a great day! :hook

I use the vacuum bags and stuff them with yarn and suck all the air out and store them under the bed. Prior to that, I had yarn in many cabinets and closets in xerox paper boxes....the vacuum bags are much better....and you can hide the yarn much easier when it is compressed.

I try to keep mine in clear under-the-bed storage bins... and within the bins I have them in ziploc baggies... I try to keep projects in large ziploc bags if they will fit. I have filled my bins and therefore put myself on a no-buying-until I use down diet, then I got a mega box of yarn from the lovely Dorothy and have to figure out where I can put that! :lol Gosh, I need more crochet time!!!

Got to use that fibre!!!

:devil

Cheers,

Organize my yarn? Surely you must be joking.

But you're serious...and I shouldn't call you Shirley, should I? ;)

Well I have a huge plastic bag next to my sofa and an old Easter basket full of yarn.

But I've seriously meant to get by Michaels and buy one of their large storage boxes.

I have a pretty one for my cross stitch that works well.

I just have such a small apartment it's not really conducive to stash boxes.

But check at Michaels or AC Moore for storage boxes. That might be the way to go

Melissa, I just visited your blog and really enjoyed reading it. You have a lovely family and home. I really enjoyed looking at your projects and was especially taken by the baby sweater you are working on. May I ask, is that a pattern that is available or is it your own? I would love to make that same sweater for my baby granddaughter. Would appreciate it if you can share the pattern source, and if not, well, I'll have to try to wing it.

Have a great day! :hook

Thank you Katie :) It is not my own pattern. It is a design by Rebecca Leigh. My latest post gives the links to where you can find the pattern. :)

Yarn? Organized? What's that? :haha

Really I just put mine in colored totes. Unfortunately I forget about them until my husband (who is already upset about the amount of yarn I have on the main floor) went looking for something and discovered the 5 totes of yarn in the upstairs closet and asked if I was starting a store :blush

I do keep my patterns all in the same clear box and all my hooks in a smaller one (for some reason it's a case for a really old gameboy, but it works great!)

I have a 4 tier shelf that I keep all my yarn on. I dont have much of a stash anyhmore, but I have it organized by colors. I used to have more which I kep in big bins, but that was a pain. I like having it on the shelves so I can see what I have.

I used to use tubs, but we've moved, and the tubs didn't fit!

So now I use a method like dorothysgirls - cube shelves. I don't have nearly as much yarn as she does, though! I like them because they fit the space in my closet very well, and I can see at a glance what I've got. I need to destash some so that I'll have room for more, but it all fits! Actually, DH will be surprised, because I just organized it all yesterday and he's been out of town! :lol

I got these shelves at Target. They were only $19.99 a set in the store, and I only needed two sets.

I have some Omega nylon and some thread, and I put those in small tubs and put both inside one cube. The 15 qt sterilite containers with hinged snap-close things on the top fit perfectly.

Thank you so much for the link. I hate going into Target (all the teenagers go there) so I never thought to look there for those cubes. I need a bunch mainly because I know I will need more then 2 sets lol.

I used to use tubs, but we've moved, and the tubs didn't fit!

So now I use a method like dorothysgirls - cube shelves. I don't have nearly as much yarn as she does, though! I like them because they fit the space in my closet very well, and I can see at a glance what I've got. I need to destash some so that I'll have room for more, but it all fits! Actually, DH will be surprised, because I just organized it all yesterday and he's been out of town! :lol

I got these shelves at Target. They were only $19.99 a set in the store, and I only needed two sets.

I have some Omega nylon and some thread, and I put those in small tubs and put both inside one cube. The 15 qt sterilite containers with hinged snap-close things on the top fit perfectly.

I keep it everywhere. Drawers, boxes, bags, shelves, the 1 pounders are in my armour with started/abandoned projects......., I have 4 giant tubs in my closet filled with yarn, I have one tub under my bed.......the rest is everywhere else.

NO, I do not have an uncontrollable need to buy any and all yarn I see. I need them all, for my wonderful projects that may or may not be started. This is not a problem. This is a keep me out of trouble solution.

YARN SALE!!!!

BYE!!!

DOrothy - can I come shopping in store? What a yarn stash you have! I'm envious.

th_yarn001.jpg

Solid colors

th_yarn002.jpg

Verigated

th_yarn003-1.jpg

Cotton and Thread

th_yarn005-1.jpg

Baby yarn

clickable

This is how I keep all of my yarn organized! It was a lot of work to get all of this set up and arranged the way I wanted it but it is so worth it. I love being able to sit in the craft room and look at all the yarn! :devil

I use a spreadsheet too. My husband, an accountant, always encouraged me to use a spreadsheet for things. Now I tell him how proud he should be of me!

Mine was stored on open shelves and some plastic drawers until I had to pack it up in the hopes of moving.

The handiest thing I found for keeping track of my yarn was that when I got new yarn I'd add it to a spreadsheet before I'd put it with the rest. That way I knew if I owned it and I could also just print off my spreadsheet before going shopping to help remind me what I do and don't have. :)

I like your attitude. Lol But I do have my yarn organized & in one area so I know basically what I have or can quickly check.

You are supposed to organize yarn?:think

:manyheart

I thought I had alot of yarn. But I have been making things for our son & daughter in law who lost all in a fire. They have 4 kids, twin girls 6, boys 10 & 12. Have decided to use my yarn to make things for them for Christmas and winter things to keep warm since they live in Va. It will use most of my yarn but will just have to stock up again later.

I use sterilite containers with latches instead of snap on lids. I like them and the latches on mine are a cute green color. Those are from wal-mart. I also use some nice sweater hangers that Target carries. They are made out of canvas instead of the cheap plastic ones that always break, especially if you put too much into it. This one holds a ton of yarn (or a ton of clothes and shoes) and doesn't break with a lot of weight. Plus they're inexpensive! Here is a link: http://www.target.com/Canvas-6-Shelf-Garment-Organizer/dp/B0016BRFG4/qid=1220051639/ref=br_1_13/602-7926476-0355026?ie=UTF8&node=13814301&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=13814301&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=2

Archived