Is This An Expensive Hobby?

As per my intro I am brand spanking new. I just cracked open my book and yarn and I think I've got the single crochet stitch down. Now to the double...:cheer

Anyhow I was wondering if you find crocheting to be an expensive hobby. Of course I know "it depends" could be thrown back at me as an answer, but I'm interested in your experience.

I have no idea what number I consider to be expensive, but what's it been like for you?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello..I'm relatively new to crocheting as well..I find yarn at second hand stores for really inexpensive and yard sales..My husband and mom even find yarn and hooks and patterns for me too..I do buy my yarn at Wal Mart as well. When I have an extra 5.00-10.00 I'll get something. Makes me feel good..Hope this helps. I like to Quilt..Now THAT'S expensive..lol...

Welcome from Colorado!

Crocheting can be as expensive or as INexpensive as you want. Unfortunately most of us tend to go overboard and buy pattern after pattern after pattern and enough yarn to last a lifetime!

If you buy just what you need for a particular pattern, your expenses should be:

crochet hook(s)

pattern(s)

yarn

The yarn is what gets expensive of course. You can buy Red Heart acrylic for $3 a skein, which is at the low end or you can spend $30 or more for the same amount of yarn but is top quality.

Always look for coupons for Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Joann's. That'll save a bundle in the long run. But always buy more than enough yarn for your project. It's a nightmare if you run out of yarn and try to match the color again. It'll end up costing twice as much.

You can make a baby outfit for under $10 if you want. Or you could make that same outfit for $50 or more. It all depends on how deeply you get hooked on crocheting!

For me, not so much, because I just started and am leary of buying expensive yarn until I'm better at it, but I think it also depends on the kinds of patterns you do. If you're making blankets and kitchen stuff it's probably not as expensive as making wearables, since you'd use softer, finer yarns.

For me personally, though, at this point, the most I've spent on yarn at a time is about $20.

It absolutely can be based on:

1. The type of yarn you use

2. The types of items you want to crochet (small things like dishcloths, doll dresses, toys) or big things like huge afghans

3. The type of hook you prefer to use

4. How much you are willing to spend on patterns/books in the stores or online

The simpler you keep it, the cheaper it will be. But if you're like most of us, wanting to do and learn more on a daily basis, it can/will get more expensive as time goes on. But if you're frugal and a smart shopper, you can limit your costs to a certain degree.

Have fun & Good Luck!

Well, I'm going to give you the dreaded "it depends" answer. :eek If you're totally obsessed like I am, then yes, it can become pretty costly. It's easy to become a pattern collector and a stash-a-holic. If you avoid those things (if at all possible), you should be ok. :lol

I try to only buy yarn on sale, then I get as 2x as much for what other people pay. I also look online alot, alot, alot. If you find a pattern that you want to do, but cannot afford to buy it, the wonders of the Ville open up to you, and reveal many free patterns that have slight differences.

It will all depepnd on you, and can you be thrifty? :) But remeber it's good for your stash to splurge a few times. :hook

MeganB

Well I find it to be cheaper that smoking or drinking!!:lol

Actually I have supportive family that feeds my habit by getting me yarn and gift cards, so that's cheap. Also, my sister cruises goodwill.com and the local thrift shops for yarn for me too. She finds some fantastic bargains.

Don't hesitate to ask for yarn cast offs too from people, especially if you're making charity items. People can be very generous. I send my ends and extra rolls every once in a while to people who ask for help with charity projects.

I crochet a lot since I can do it at work. I probably spend about $20 a month in yarn. But I crochet a lot. A whole lot. Ok, I'm an addict. :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of crochet! There's always room for another hooker!

Colleen

As long as you don't develop champagne tastes in yarn, and can excersize some self control...just sometimes, even..it shouldn't be too bad...There's not too many hobbies that are free anymore, but this yarning life doesn't have to break the bank...just like I don't have to buy every book I see, I don't have buy every pretty yarn I see...really, I don't..honest...:blush

For afghans, I like using the Caron one-pound skeins. You can find them on sale sometimes at JoAnn's for 2/$5. Sometimes, even cheaper. There's a pretty good range of colors to choose from, too.

I am a cheapskate. I avoid buying patterns - I surf the net for free ones. I had made up my mind in the beginning to NEVER buy yarn unless it was on sale, but have caved a time or two :lol Both times its been on I Love This Yarn brand at Hobby Lobby. BUT, its generally a good price anyway so I don't feel too guilty about it.

I don't usually have the extra $$ to spend more than $20 or $30 at a time on yarn, so that helps me out alot. BUT, if I had tons of money, then YES, YES, YES - it would CERTAINLY be an expensive hobby! :devil

You can also ask for yarn or gift cards for holidays. That way you can get yarn as a gift.

Just the other day I pick 6 skeins that were $1.00 each. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. But I just had to have them.

But like my DBF says I know were she is at night. Next to me in her chair crocheting!

I have built my stash by hitting Big Lots, AC Moore and The Dollar Tree, it's fun to go yarn shopping in my stash. And with Viller's sharing so many great patterns and the sites for free patterns, you should be able to keep it under control. Although I may faint if I ever count what I have spent on my stash even on sale!

When I first started thread crocheting, it was really cheap. I'd spend maybe $5 per month for a magazine, and another $5 for thread, and I'd have enough to crochet all I had time for, and more. There's no need to stash if all you do is crochet with white thread. :lol

That was a long time ago. I now prefer to crochet with colored threads, and I have many balls of thread on hand, in addition to sewing thread which I also use for crocheting.

I buy most of my yarn second-hand, and limit it to natural fibers, so I can make kitchen items and the occasional felted project for next to nothing.

If you crochet with a finer gauge thread or yarn, you'll get lots more yardage for your money, and hence, more crocheting for the $$. That's my excuse.

I have to agree it depends how much self-control you have :lol When I first started out, I had to buy every crochet pattern I could find. Then after awhile I cooled down and started buying ones that I really really liked. Now I seldom buy any. They have to be reallty special or on sale. I have so many that I am going to go through and see which one I really want to keep.

As far as yarn goes-once again it depends on how much you want to crochet or if you find a good sale. I know that I don't need anymore yarn- but then I see that special sale and just have to have some.:eek

Maybe you should ask the question "How many of you wait until hubby is asleep to bring your purchases in and then hide them for a few days? When he notices something new you can say,without lying, Oh I've had that for a while!!" Does that answer your question!!:lol Or ask,"how many plastic tubs do you have filled with yarn?" This can be very addictive. If you find a pattern you like, don't be afarid to sub a cheaper yarn. I personally have never spent more than $5.00 one one skein of yarn. I use mostly the ecno skeins and wait until that is on sale, then I stock up. Anyoen here will be more than happy to give you their experience with a certain yarn if you are unsure. Have fun..

oh my dear... it is not about the money... it's about the fact that you're using your time constructively and not DEstructively, like you would be if you were to just smoke or drink or eat or just lay on the couch watching movies. instead, you're working towards something, a beautiful something that you can either cherish forever or cherish forever the fact that someone else is cherishing it forever. AND you're destressing yourself, which is infinitely good for your health and overall feeling good. who can put a price on that? =)

And let's not overlook our dear Rachel's Crochet Pattern Central website, where there are thousands of free patterns available with just one quick link. I always check CPC first for patterns. ($ saved on patterns = $ that can be spent on yarn)

Just get a basic hook (5 mm is one used for lots and lots of patterns), some basic yarn (nice, cheap, light yarn is the way to go--easier to see your stitches in light colored yarn), and go.

You'll get addicted to more and more hooks, more and more yarn and yarn types, and patterns, and techniques, with experience. Or maybe not. My mom, who's been crocheting for 50 years or more, well, all she does is make charity baby blankets, so her trusty 5 mm or 6 mm hook and a nice big (and relatively cheap) skein of Lion Brand Pound of Love is all she needs to be happy.

Luckily, it's a craft and an art that can go anywhere, any way you want it to. And welcome! You will love it here, and probably will have your imagination fired by the extremely talented crocheters on here.

Patty

Another thing I think of is, who am I making it for? If it is a young person they will just throw it into the washer and dryer. So they get the cheaper end of thread or yarn.

For myself and special friends I use the higher end because I know it will be taken care of it.

Just my :2c

Here's a good line...."It's only as expensive as you want it to be." :hook:hook:hook

Check out the clearance racks, especially at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. You can pick up some really nice yarn for $1-$2 a skein that can sell regularly for a much higher price. Also, just watch for sales. HL has a lot of them.

Patterns can be found on the internet for free or low cost. Also they can be picked up at Goodwill, thrift stores, garage sales and other places.

Hooks can be from garage sales, yard sales, clearance and other people who find out you crochet. Keep a keen eye open and you will be surprised at what you can get for less.

Good luck, and welcome to this crazy bunch of crocheters.

:manyheart

I have only been crocheting a short time myself, but I started in on the big stuff, afghans. So I have made 3 blankets and working on a 4th, and have enough yarn to do a 5th. But all told so far I have only spent about $100 to $150. I get the Red Heart or I love this yarn on sale a Wally World or Hobby Lobby, and I found a great deal on e-bay for some special yarn for my hubbys winter blanket. Also, I have put my name and number at some local second hand stores, and they will call me when they get yarn from estates or wherever.

Also my hubby has two very costly hobbies, he is a bass player and runs sound for church, so he likes all the sound eq. and amps for the basses, not to say the basses themselves (the last one costing over $1000) I tell you we could host a concert in our home with all the stuff he has!! So compaired to his hobby, mine is nothing! :hook