Is This An Expensive Hobby?

Well, for me I do not allow it to be expensive. I try to check out pattern books from the library instead of buying them. I also buy yarn on sale. I have yet to buy any really expensive yarn. I DROOL over lush yarns and patterns but I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy it .

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thsmiley_yes.gifIt can be...

Mine is......Hi I'm a thblink3.gif Yea, and make that a pattern collector, too.

A couple of years ago I got some yarn that was not RH or Bernat. Some that cost over $10.00 a skien..I'm in thheart3.jpg

So, yea it has become expensive for me..

But one thing to remember is that we do this because we love it. Crochet makes great gifts, keeps our hands busy so we don't eat, and many other reasons. So whether you spend $100 on a project, or $10, it's the joy that crochet gives us that really matters.

:manyheart

When you consider how many FREE patterns are on the internet now, you wouldn't have much expense in patterns unless you chose to, and if you're

a smart shopper and keep your eyes peeled and read the posts here on the Ville you can get some amazing deals! One time at the Thrift store, I

happened on a box of AMAZING finds in all brand new yarns of all sorts and colors - no smoke, no stains, all brand new and in ziplocs ... at least 50

skeins of yarn for $12! I was exstatic!!! And you can even find hooks at the thrift store too if you watch or yard sales! So I don't think this has to

be an expensive hobby at all! Good Luck!!! :hook

Crochet is one of those hobbies that is as expensive as you want to make it.

There are literally THOUSANDS of patterns available for free on the web, and others that are reasonably priced in thousands of other magazines and books. Unless you have a VERY specific need in a pattern, chances are you will find one for what you are wanting to crochet free of charge online.

As far as yarn goes, for the most part, I started out working exclusively with acrylic knitting worsted, and back when I learned how to crochet it was common to find 4oz skeins on sale at Five and Ten type stores for anywhere from $.39 to $.75 a skein. I unwittingly limited myself to acrylic knitting worsted for almost 40 years, simply because I didn't realize that there were so many different types of yarns available! It really wasn't until I joined Crochetville that I became aware that there were so many different types of yarns available, and so many sources for those yarns!

Now I have branched out to ALL different types of yarn, and I am also working a lot with thread, which is something I never tried before I joined Crochetville. Ebay was my first stop on my journey into fiberland, there is every type of yarn and thread imaginable available on Ebay, and most of them are priced very reasonably. There are also other wonderful sources available online (Smiley's, Knitting Warehouse, to name two) where you can get FABULOUS buys on yarns that normally sell for as much as 80% more in stores and on other websites!

So it's really up to you. If you want to spend a lot of money, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. However, you can still use excellent yarns for your projects and only have to pay a fraction of their actual cost, as long as you are willing to do your homework and ferret them out on the web. Or you can stick to the old tried and true acrylic knitting worsted, virtually everyone's "old stand-by", very reasonably priced, frequently marked down, and readily available just about everywhere.

Edited by Elle

i am in with most people, it is as expensive as you allow it to be. if you want to make yourself a cashmere sweater, it isnt gunna be cheap. but if you are making small things with basic cotton or acrylic it is very reasonable. i also like to look at thrift stores for fancy sweaters (especially mens XL) then you can unravel a sweaters worth of wool or cashmere for usually less than 10 bucks. i also believe in hunting down sales, but not just yarn on everything in my life. if i can afford the time to wait everything goes on sale eventually. also yard sales, thrift stores, and getting the word out that you crochet are all good. i just got a big black trash bag from a lady at my hubbys work for free because her mom died. so you never know where it will come from, the more people you let know the more you make receive.

It isn't expensive for me. Like a lot of others mentioned doing, I use mostly free patterns, pick up .25 crochet mags & $1 books at Goodwill, family gives me yarn, I use coupons for Hobby Lobby & I don't feel a need to use expensive yarn. Simply Soft is a little over $2 a skein & is really soft & nice to work with.

An afghan can get a little pricey because of the quantity of yarn you need to make it but it's not too bad when you consider how long it will endure! I'm still cuddling up on my sofa with the first one I made over 20 yrs ago using Red Heart yarn LOL

Edited by kazily

Use self control. Only buy supplies for one project at a time and do NOT buy more until it is finished.

Now, me? Four or five projects going at once and just finished 3 baby blankets in July -- and a huge yarn stash that I do not even have plans for but couldn't resist... Do what I say not what I do!

:hook:hook:hook

I personally find it to be quite an inexpensive hobby when you compare it to other crafts. I have gone a bit overboard lately, but for years and years I just bought the yarn I needed for whatever project, and a hook if I needed it. I got all my patterns either out of library books, experimentation, or off the internet.

It's only in the last couple of years that I've splurged out on some of the more expensive yarns to make items, but I only do that if I'm making something small. For the most part, I only make afghans, which require HEAPS of yarn because I won't make anything smaller than queen bed size. For that I use acrylic, and only when it's on special. I've also bought quite a collection of crochet books, with patterns and stitch libraries in them lately.

The best way to minimise the cost of it is to buy your yarn when it's on sale, and be sure to get enough to complete whatever project you have in mind for it. If you're only looking to make purses and such, you wouldn't need too much yarn for each project, so your hobby will be quite inexpensive.

it depends. now me the queen of clutter yes it is expensive for me i probably have over 10,000.00 worth of patterns and yarns and i still buy more . is a bad bad habit being a pattern junkie and yarnaholic on the other hand i have been crocheting for over 44 years now and i have all i need ever . i have a variety of hooks some costing as little as 2.00 some as high as 70.00 for a special one made just for me. but for the average person it can be fairly reasonable. i mean yarn is almost always on sale and if you stick to the acrylics or blends it is not to bad getting into the cashmere and alpacas silks ect yes it can cost but then if i am making something for someone or myself i want to be special i save up for it, the most i have ever spent on yarn was 35.00 but was for a large hank of alpaca. is so soft i made myself a shrug with it and i am soo in love with it.had i bought this ready made it would have cost me well over 200.00 for it so it was not bad for the price. you can also look on etsy or even in the for sale section here at the ville. i know in sept i am going to be listing a bunch of yarn pretty dang cheap so you can always look there too i know alot of people sell on here and since we all are hookers we know how much things cost and how sometimes our surpluses are your bargains. sorry for the book lol i hope you enjoy working with all of the yarns someday i know i couldn't afford anything for a long time and only used the acrylic but i love the natural yarns too so many new yarns out there and some not badly priced good luck sweetie i hope you get to build a nice stash too is so fun to play with it sometimes:lol:lol:lol

Hi,

I've only been doing this myself for about 5years now. I don't think it's expensive. I don't particularly go to specialty yarns stores, I too buy my yarn from Wal-mart. You need the basics though-

- a sturdy set of hooks

- yarn

- & a beginners book for crotchet.

It sounds like you've got all that! Start small & work your way up. Don't try & tackle some enormous afghan you promised one of your friends. You'll get discouraged just by looking at all the yarn you've bought. Start with dish clothes. You can practice gauging & your stitching at the same time. If you like it, then buy more! :) I'm completely addicted, obsessed, & dependant on crotchet. GOOD LUCK! Hope you like it.

When I first took up crochet, I bought myself a shiny set of aluminium hooks, and used yarn that my Mum didn't want. Then I started by watching tutorials online, getting free patterns, and printing them off, to make my own book of patterns; then I added notes to them. You could also borrow pattern books from the library, if you didn't want to splash out.

I've spent about £20/$40ish(?) in 4-5 months. And I've got more second hand yarn than you can shake a stick at.

I have to agree... who can put a price on something that will be cherished and maybe even passed on through the next generations? I certainly cherish the pieces I have that my grandmother made.

oh my dear... it is not about the money... it's about the fact that you're using your time constructively and not DEstructively, like you would be if you were to just smoke or drink or eat or just lay on the couch watching movies. instead, you're working towards something, a beautiful something that you can either cherish forever or cherish forever the fact that someone else is cherishing it forever. AND you're destressing yourself, which is infinitely good for your health and overall feeling good. who can put a price on that? =)

partially it can depend on where you live - how many craft stores are around. For me is is actually a very cheap hobby. I get my yarn from Walmart and the stuff my mom doesn't want anymore (she weaves). Most of my hooks are actually from my grand MIL who is so arthritic anymore that she has a hard time doing crosswords, let alone crochet. For a few future projects, I will probably use some higher end yarns in wool, alpaca, mohair, silk, etc. and those are where it gets pricey. For now though, Caron SS (just slightly more expensive than RH SS on a per ounce basis) does just fine for most of the stuff I do. I did splurge once and got Lion wool for a pair of socks for DH. Just be smart about it, and if you get lucky you may not hardly ever have to pay for any of your supplies. Besides think of how much you'll save on gifts.

:hook Well...I agree with everything that's been said here. I have become a handspinner, so often make alot of my, which is NOT a cheap hobby, but I love it! But here's some suggestions for finding cheap/free yarns and accessories:

1. yard sales

2. thrift stores

3. overstock stores

4. dollar stores

5. www.freecycle.com

6. estate auctions

7. tell every yard sale/ thrift store hunting friend/relative you have and they will fiercly hunt it out for you and bring you BAGS of the stuff! For them, it's the hunt...

8. try www.knitpicks.com I am not affiliated, just a satisfied customer. They have very nice yarns for very reasonable prices, and shipping is free over $50. They are primarily marketing to knitters, but hey, it's yarn!

9. ebay...often really cheap lots of yarn and hooks and other stuff here. Folks cleaning out their attics, etc.

10. Last but never least, right here on Crochetville! Look under the for sale or trade thread.

As your skill grows and you want to venture out into projects that might possibly become keepsakes or heirlooms, you might want to invest in better quality yarn. Whatever you do, I know you will enjoy your new passion! Welcom to the 'ville, neighbor! :hook

Hello!

My yarn addiction, pattern collection and stash has grown so much in the last 5 years that is unbelievable! lol but I love it! My husband has been understanding of my need for yarn and more yarn, he's tried to limit me but I can be pretty convincing of why I need so much yarn! If we ever were trapped in our home, we would stay warm and cozy.

I do shop online, at thrift stores, yard sales, if I find a bargain, it's all over, I have to buy it! I think I need help. lol

happy collecting yarn and patterns. ~LeeAnn:eek

You don't want to KNOW how much I've spent over the years :lol ...especially for yarn to make presents for people (somehow, I never buy expensive yarn to make myself anything--I always end up using stash odds and ends).

Thankfully, crocheting is cheaper than knitting in one respect--you don't need to buy different types of needles for different types of projects (circular, straight, DP, etc). One good set of crochet hooks in whatever your preference (Boye or Bates) will serve you well.

I like all the suggestions so far for saving $$$. The other thing I do is to tell everyone that I want gift certificates for holidays, birthdays, etc. -- either AC Moore, Michaels, or JoAnns -- the big three in our area. I also put things on the wish lists on my favorite sites for people who don't want to just give me a gift certificate.

Well, on the one end, I've made a booties and scarves for under $2 ea. and on the other end a large afghan for around $60 (and THAT yarn was on sale :D or it would have cost around $100:eek).

I agree with others...it only costs as much as you want to spend.

Happy Hooking! :yarn

As lots of other people have said, it is as expensive as you let it be. But, as someone who tends to buy slightly more expensive yarn, I can spend maybe $60 or so on supplies for an afghan, but that afghan is going to take me around two months to complete, and I don't think $30/month for my hobby is a bad expenditure when you consider that it is my primary form of entertainment.

Also, if you save the really nice yarn for smaller projects, you don't have to buy as much, you still make something really nice, and it probably cost less that if you bought the same item with the same fiber content at the store. I have made a cashmere scarf, and believe me I paid a whole lot less for my yarn for that project then if I had gone to the store to buy a cashmere scarf.

I think the biggest thing is to just keep everything in perspective, and if money is an issue, then make a budget and stick to it. That way it is as expensive as you allow it to be.

• 12 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Any hobby can be different. Of course, not all hobbies can be cheap. Some things are very expensive and there is no alternative. But crochet can be both cheap and expensive. And it is up to you which way to choose. I am from worldpostalcode.com/united-states/alabama/ and the yarn price is very versatile. And crochet designs are also very different. So you make the price yourself.

Edited by drioeor