You Know You're a Stashaholic When...

Here is my contribution.

You buy ottomans not because you need them, but because it is one more place to store yarn. I bought 2 :) They were filled within 30 minutes of me getting them out of the boxes.

"Honey, can you lift your feet, I need another skein"

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:cowboy When the #1 criteria you have when househunting is a yarn room.

OMG!!! We were looking at houses tonight online and I found one with a library that has built in ceiling to floor bookcases with a rolling ladder and HUBBY said TO ME..."look hunny, they KNEW you needed a place for your fabric & yarn!"

You know you are a stashaholic when no matter how many big storage containers you buy, you always end up overflowing them. There are never fewer.

Nita- you described me when you got to the "extras". Had to buy another rolling cart for all that stuff to go next to the ones with all my fiber. Now, to find a place for all those pizza boxes I use for design boards.....

:) Alosha

• 7 months later...

When you have had a rough day and nothing makes you happier than to sift through you stash and touch all the yarn.

Or when your husband and children refer the yarn aisle as "Mama's happy place".

This is such a great thread...and I can relate to all the symptoms!

The one symptom that confirmed my addiction is that I can not get rid of any piece of clothing that can be frogged and made into something else...I even find myself looking longingly at the 'lost 'n found' at school for suff to frog! Fortunately I've managed not to utter the words "can I have this rather than send it to the goodwill store?" to the mom who minds the 'lost 'n found'!!

You know you're a stashaholic when:

You clear out Jo-Anns of all their clearance yarn even though most of it is stuff you'll never use

You purchase 10 skeins of Caron's Simply Soft in assorted colors because it's on sale (even though you have a box full of it already!)

You have yarn or crochet in every room in your house (magazines, skeins of yarn, crochet hooks, even little itty pieces of yarn)

You have more unused yarn in your house than clothes in your closet!

You have an entire drawer in your desk at work dedicated to crochet magazines.

You would rather sell the T.V. at the upcoming garage sale then part with even one skein of yarn!

Your DH picks up a long strand of yarn maybe just a yard long and as he goes to toss it in the trash you tackle him explaining that you can "make something with it!"

You go to a bridal shower where they play the game "how big around is the mommy to be" and when they whip out a brand new skein of red heart you panic thinking "how dare they cut up this beautiful yarn into little pieces?" (this happened to me!)

You refuse to throw away any plastic Wal-Mart bags because you are planning on using them to crochet with!

You know you're a stashaholic when you hear the tornado watch alert and the first thing you think of (after how to get your children to a safe place) is "how am I going to save my yarn?"Preceded by the flood alert...in which you removed all the important documents in your plastic tubs and replaced it with patterns and yarn...that reminds me, I need to go buy more tubs.

:rofl Yep, I've thought the same thing..."How much would I have to spend to replace what is destroyed???"

We recently moved to a new place, and DH made me promise to down size my stash...**gulp**...ok, so I did. I went from two 30-gal plastic tubs (that you couldn't get the lids on tight) to just one. oh! and my 3 drawer Rubbermade drawer thingy. oh, and the other smaller 3 drawer Rubbermade thingy.

You know you're a stashaholic when you hide your yarn purchases in the trunk of the car till DH goes to bed. If he comments on it the next day (Oh, is that new?), then lie shamlessly (No! I bought this weeks ago!).

You know you're a stashaholic when your husband sees the yarn shop in the town your sightseeing in and "forbids" you from going near it...with a laugh...and then tells you he'll meet you at the pub across the street until you're done shopping...(which is exactly what happened while my husband and I were in Munich this weekend...) he gave me money and said, "Don't spend it all in one place..." and I laughed...

Judging from all the posts in this thread...I don't have that much stash it seems...but I am a stasholic in the sense that I can't hit any store that I know sells yarn or fabric without visiting said section...and it doesn't matter what city or town...I'm always on the lookout...

-You're a stashaholic when you realize that you looking for a tool in your husband's garage is like him looking for a specific yarn in your closet

-You're a stashaholic when your online name is yarndiva :))

-You're a stashaholic when that extra coat closet in the master bedroom, complete with one wall of shelves, end up as your "yarn closet" instead.

-You're a stashaholic when you buy yarn in cones instead of skeins/balls to make room for more.

-You're a stashaholic when yoy have more boxes of yarn than boxes of shoes.

-You're a stashaholic when you have more yarn than clothes.

-You're a stashaholic when you wish and pray that the clearance yarn that is $2.00 goes down to 50 cents or even 25 cents so you can buy all the yarn they have!!

You know your a stashaholic when.....

Your sister calls you for specific colors rather than Walmart

Your husband says didnt you just get yarn last week and you reply"I dany ask why you have 10 sets of screwdrivers"

Your Kids know where to look in the house for yarn when your skein is running low(I have not lost one yet)

When you crochet in your sleep!

When strangers call you up and say "I heard you have a home for unwanted yarn". <gasp> The thought of unwanted yarn - there is no such thing!"

LOL Oh my gods! I just had a woman I don't know at work bring me a huge bag of knitting machine yarn from clearing out her late mother's attic. She brought it over to my desk and told me she had seen me crocheting for the relay for life auction and thought I might be able to make something out of the bag of stuff for charity. I'm thinking mittens for the homeless shelter.

My contributation to the thread:

You know your a yarn hoarder when you look at all the little left overs and think of making a small or medium or large granny square afghan, but wait... that means you will need more yarn to border each of the squares!

I cannot compete with you folks. I must be a lightweight yarn hoarder. I only have yarn in two large storage units and a toy box. Course, I have a basement full of fabric (nuther story).

I do buy yarn by 30 to 40 pound batches though, in addition to my weekly Wal Mart purchases. That probably counts for something.

For vacation this year we'll be going to a town that has a railroad museum for DH and a discount yarn store for me.

Kimberly, loved your post. :teddy Teddy hugs your way. Mary

you know your a stashaholic when you have your craft room stuffed from floor to ceiling, then you buy more so you can stash it in every little nook and cranny in your house, you know your a stashaholic when you even have yarn in your clothes closet and its more yarn than clothes, or when hubby goes out to his new tool box that wifey(me) bought him for christmas last year knowing he would not use it for tools, is to big and finds it filled with yarn, when you think in pounds of yarn instead of yards, and ounces, and when you can not fit your grocerys in your trunk cause it is full of that must have yarn you find on clearance and buy it even not having something to make with it, you know your a yarnaholic,shashaholic when you even stuff that extra space behind the towels in the linen closet:devil :devil :devil i admit it, i am a yarnaholic, stashaholic, and darn proud of it. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I should make my BF read this thread. He thinks I have to much yarn (like there is such a thing :D ) I only have one bin in one closet and a bin in the living room. But then again I live in a small 2 bedroom apt with REALLY small closets.

I guess I have a lot of catching up to do to get a stash like some of your and one day I will :D I just need a yarn room :hook

You know you are a stashaholic when you read this thread and get ideas :idea for adding to your stash like frogging old sweaters, using ribbon, plastic bags.....I am full of new ideas now.Thanks for the ideas!:heehee

You know you have a serious stash addiction when you stop the vacuum cleaner to pick up some yarn that might come in handy one day!

When your children ask for a piece of yarn for a school project and after their second pull of the skein yo holler how much do you really need!!!!

-- when you are building a barn to store yarn and are debating connecting it to the house so you always have access.

-- when you pull your wifes sweaters / polos/ etc out of the trash to wash and frog, and then yell at her for wasting good materiel.

-- when you cut the liners of your boxspring to store more yarn without getting caught.(be sure to seal them up in bags and staple the liner afterwards.)

-- when your wife and kids refuse to go shopping with you because you spend too much time in the yarn isle.

-- when HObby Lobby and all the local wal-marts know you and remind you that your wife says no more yarn and thread.

-- when you get a 12k tax reciept for yarn your wife donated out of your stash.

You know your a Stashaholic when your cats won't even play with your yarn anymore.

You know your a Stashaolic when your every drawer, box, tote and plastic bin is overflowing with yarn but you dont' care, you have a 40% coupon for that yarn and you are getting it!

Robin

• 4 months later...

I have a good one; you know your a stashaholic when...

you buy yarn by the box full on Ebay even though you hate some of the colors, just because you can get it for less than a dollar a skein!!

Archived