You Know You're a Stashaholic When...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know you are a stasholic when you go to look for a certain yarn you bought (just because) and you can't find it or remember which box it might be in!:blush

Your creating a database on your computer with how many skiens of yarn you have, the color, the type and even has the manafactures name on it.:lol (Last time I look, 35 skiens in total, but haven't updated this week).

Crocheted Monkey:cheer

Boy, do I know how that is! I've been doing this for weeks and still haven't gotten even half way thru! I even bought a Needlework Organizer to help me catalog everything and it's still not going fast. I'll need this list in case a hurricane destroys my house! I have my stash listed on my homeowners policy so it can be replaced in case it gets ruined!!!

You know you're a stashaholic when you hear the tornado watch alert and the first thing you think of (after how to get your children to a safe place) is "how am I going to save my yarn?"Preceded by the flood alert...in which you removed all the important documents in your plastic tubs and replaced it with patterns and yarn...that reminds me, I need to go buy more tubs.

OMG, My stash isn't ready for hurricane season! After having 3 go through here last year, I need to be ready! My poor stash, I hadn't even thought about it... :eek

About that database, I have one started in a binder, but I always forget to add the new yarn I buy. My plan is to be able to look through the binder, touch the yarn in there (sample on every page) and be inspired for a new project. It doesn't work if I don't have all my yarn in there!

I have to second the running out of space for your stash. I have several large Rubbermaid containers full, and yarn is taking over my sewing/craft room.

You know you're a stashaholic when your DH drops you off at the store (since he knows you have to look at yarn all the time) and asks "How much time do you need?" and I reply "Depends on what they have!"

Also, now that I have 3 kids, the 2 boys have to share a room, and I am complaining about that (the 5 year old often wakes up the 1 year old), and DH suggests that I give up my sewing room. "No way! We need a bigger house!" And when I do get that bigger house, there will definitely be a larger sewing room!

This is hilarious, and comforting, I'm not alone in this.

You know you're a stashaholic when...

Friends who are also crocheters come and see your huge stash, they're eyes get big and sparkly and you start to get nervous as they ask, "can I have a skein of this?"...You're thinking (but that will only leave me with 10 more skeins of that color!) as you relent.

or

You see a pattern online while at work (shhh) that references a new yarn that you don't have, rather than go home and find a comparable yarn, you declare a "YARN EMERGENCY" and drag your co-workers to the LYS on your lunch hour...and they know how excited you are on the way. (I'm notorious for this, they think it's crazy that I say, "I NEED SOME YARN", my garage looks like the yarn barn.

when a friend comes to visit and you go yarn shopping, you offer to let them shop in your stash as it has more interesting yarn in better colors than your LYSes!

Heres my input:

You know you are a stashaholic when....You drive 5 hours (to a different country)for the soul purpose of visiting a new yarn shop.

You know you are a stashaholic when....You go on a trip with an extra suitcase to bring back the yarn you just might buy along the way.

You know you are a stashaholic when....The first thing you check when going to visit a new city is how many yarn shops there are and exactly where they are.

You know you are a stashaholic when....You see a sweater in your house and think "I could frog this for some great yarn".....and someone has that sweater on when you see it

You know you are a stashaholic when you wake up in a bad mood and your husband directs you to the computer and tells you to go look at yarn for a while.

Or when you go to buy shelves and storage boxes for the new baby coming and they all get used up with your yarn. My plan is to have converted some of it to baby clothes by October:blush .

Or when you get the yarn winder out and the cats gather around knowing they are going to have something exciting to watch.

You can't sleep so you go through the entire list of things you want to make and fall asleep somewhere in the middle (about an hour later).

Rachel

You just can't throw that 35 gallon tote full of tangled yarn away, instead you spend days untangling it because you just can't see all that yarn go to waste.

:frog

You know you are a stashaholic when....... you know you are moving out of state and you keep buying yarn at garage sales etc or on clearance at Walmart!

(I was able to give a LOT of fabric away for a good cause.... but could NOT part with any of MY yarn!

Well, I just have to add to this!

:eekYou know you're a stashaholic when you end up spending half of your vacation (which you'd planned on doing major housecleaning projects) inventorying and photographing your stash, digging it out of every nook and cranny and carefully arranging each shot! (visit my blog for the results, and keep a hanky handy, lol! I will be posting the last of it tonight).

:eekYou know you're a stashaholic when you need to make an online yarn purchase (1 hank) in order to finish a project, the place you're ordering from has free shipping on orders over $30 so you want to spend at least that much, but no more - and you sit up till 4 am trying to choose what other yarns and how much of each to buy to reach that amount, and still can't make up your mind! I've got lists of various potential orders stuck all over the catalog - and I CAN'T DECIDE! Sheesh! I HATE spending limits, locks up my brain, lol!

:hook

When strangers call you up and say "I heard you have a home for unwanted yarn". <gasp> The thought of unwanted yarn - there is no such thing!"

The thought of moving strikes terror in your heart because you know you're going to have to come face to face with all of that stash in your locker.

DH suggestes that you might need a yarn intervention.

Your email address is actually stashaholic, and so is your blog!

• 2 weeks later...

You pretty much described me- ALMOST...I don't fool with hair ribbons...but, I DO buy up the Goody Pony Tailers that have that metalic sparkly finish to the elastic they're made of..and some scrap Mexicana...that was bought TO be scrap yarn! Don't get me wrong I DO like the Mexicana...BUT, I like it best in small amounts. (Too much is overpowering, in my opinion.)

Now, where I get different- I'm more of the kind of crocheter that goes nut case over Ombres and Variagated yarns...- and the desperate search for solid colors to match 'perfectly'....Everything has to either match or complement/accent...I'm almost anal about it, I think! ( Drives my Dad completely nut case,too! Sometimes he swears I've lost my mind, to hear him tell it! LOL..)

As for the extras to make things WITH- for me it's the pony tailers, the 1" diameter rings, the nylon scrubby balls for scrubby cloths, blank key rings for keyring lip balms. Those $1 printed kitchen towels at Wal Mart...LOL..It would probably take a few years to get everything I have on hand in terms of craft stash! LOL..

Nita

Does this count

You know your a stashaholic when you can't pass the craft area at walmart with out buying yarn even if you hate the ciolor because it might go with an Ombre you have bought (I am adited to Ombre).

The thought of moving strikes terror in your heart because you know you're going to have to come face to face with all of that stash in your locker.

:lol :lol :lol

That would be me!! When we moved I had to come to grips with allllll the yarn I really have ... eek.

You know you're a stashaholic when you make trips out of your way - 30 miles or more - just to check out a potential stash enhancement.

Me too...Oh boy, I'm SO bad about it that I bought 4 balls of the Patons Canadiana in Misty Mountain..( a VERY pretty ombre with thyme green and a blue/purple looking color in it.)- at my local LYS.... for almost $4 a ball, too! I'm holding on to that stuff like it's spun gold...at that price, I think I should! LOL...(Normally, I don't go over $3 a skein...unless it's for a pound skein, a ball, or cone!- then I won't go over $6..- and I still shudder!)

Nita

Archived