You Know You're a Stashaholic When...

Your creating a database on your computer with how many skiens of yarn you have, the color, the type and even has the manafactures name on it.:lol (Last time I look, 35 skiens in total, but haven't updated this week).

Crocheted Monkey:cheer

fabulous idea!!!!!thank you!!!! then it will combine my two fave things, computer and yarn!!

laura

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...well...I don't buy more yarn EVERY time I go to walmart...I'm a newbie to crochet, so i'm still not sure what point to throw away scraps...how small do they have to be? I could probably start a granny square with a 12" strand right?

I was thinking, maybe I could use DH's "Foodsaver" to vacuum seal my stash? It would certainly make it so I can fit it in a smaller space. NO???:think:idea

I'd like to post this list of "stashaholic" symptoms on my blog, so if you object to my posting your additions, please note that in your symptoms list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:eek You're looking through your yarn to find a specific color and find an unopened 1-lb. cone of kitchen cotton (not the color you were looking for!) and you don't even remember buying it!

:eek You also find not one, but one and a partial skein of this stuff: 18431378_ba4b9d4206_t.jpg (which we all know means some of was used somewhere...)

:eek You search the clearance bins at Target for ANYTHING that could possibly be crocheted and buy as many packages of hair ribbons as possible. 18431379_cb65d426ce_t.jpg

Yes I have lionbrand cotton and don't remember what I bought it for. I also have some used mexicana..wish I had more. Haven't done the Target one yet...but it gives me ideas..never have the right color/shade and always looking for more at evry city I visit.

You purchase new yarn and keep it in the car until DH goes to work, so he doesn't see it.

When you have stash in every room of your five room house.

When you need a bigger house, just for stash.

When you can't wait for DD to go to college so you can take over her room.

Linda:manyheart

You know you're a stashaholic when you hear the tornado watch alert and the first thing you think of (after how to get your children to a safe place) is "how am I going to save my yarn?"Preceded by the flood alert...in which you removed all the important documents in your plastic tubs and replaced it with patterns and yarn...that reminds me, I need to go buy more tubs.

So True. You also know you are a stashaholic when you buy plastic tubs to put your yarn in for hurricane season only, and also think of a place where to hide you tubs so they won't get wet.:think

You know you are a stashaholic when you go on line to order brown color thread,cause you can't find any in the store and order 15 balls of thread in other colors also, cause you might need them and you liked the color.:hook

Oh yeah, Walking out of Michaels the other day, a woman was walking in with her two boys. One was singing "We're gonna get yarrrrrrrrrn, we're gonna get yarn", while the other boy was saying "Mom do you really need more yarn?" Lol

All of your non-crocheting friends know what frog, WIP, PIG, and LYS mean and can use them in the proper context.

We're now up to 49!! :cheer

hmmmmm now i feel left out casue i dont know PIG stands for:(

You own several skeins of yarn that have been with you for 10 years, 3 states, 2 apartments, and a house and, although you still haven't used them at all, you refuse to get rid of them because "Someday I might! You never know!" :lol

Everything that's even vaguely storage-related is evaluated on its ability to store yarn (Look at this wrought iron birdcage on a floorstand! I can fill it full of yarn and keep it in the living room--it'll be decorative!) :yes

Everything vaguely stringy is considered fair game for a hook (Elastic cord? Stretchy crochet! Jute? Scratchy crochet! Ribbon? Silky crochet! Cassette tape innards? Shiny crochet! Cat hair? Woven throughout every stitch I make crochet!)

laurastar0962, I don't know what PIG stands for either. :think Perky Igloo Garden? Pretty Iguana Gizzard? Poofy Icicle Garland? Prickly Internal Gasbubble?

When you're at a baby shower and they cut up a ball of yarn to play the game where you guess the measurement of the mom's belly, and you think "Oh, but what I could have *made* with that!".

:rofloh no, this hits too close to home for me!!! My daughter recently hosted a baby shower, and they played this game, and she gave me the left over yarn (why she bought the 8 oz skein, I will never know, but really who am I to complain!), knowing I could do something with it!! well, I am currently using this leftover yarn for a lapghan I am giving to a local charity!!!

You know you're a stashaholic when...

... you have more rooms for crafts/yarn than food. Hey, there's only 1 kitchen.

... you've only been crocheting for 2 months and you already have substantial stash, and "the yarn sickness" whenever you go shopping!

... People like to stop by your desk at work just to see what you're working on today :)

Oh and

You know you're a stashaholic when your children who are old enough refuse to go shopping with you because they know you will end up somewhere with yarn or craft supplies and you will be there forever (so they say)...and when the kids that are old enough to talk but not old enough to refuse just assume that every time you get in the car you are going to get yarn and/or craft stuff.

My 3 year old asked me (on more than one occasion) when we've got in the car "Where are we going Momma, to get yarn?"

ROFL My 3-year old asks almost every time we're in the car, "Are we going to the fun stuff store today? Are you going to buy more YARN?" :blush

Oh, and I never thought of crocheting with hair ribbons. What a great idea! :clap

I believe PIG stands for "Project in Grocery bag." Which I have more than my fair share of. :blush

When you're at a baby shower and they cut up a ball of yarn to play the game where you guess the measurement of the mom's belly, and you think "Oh, but what I could have *made* with that!".Today 01:41 PM

Too funny! Actually, the opposite happened at my sis-in-law's shower. I had planned that game specifically because I had a ball of really ugly yarn that I wanted to get rid of. :devil

When you go to move and your husband finds all of your hiding spots. All 8 of them. And when said husband threatens to go to local craft store with a picture of said stashaholic and post it with a note that says "Do NOT sell yarn to this woman until further notice!!!!!"

When your helpful twelve year old son says that anytime he wants to do some weight-lifting he'll just go yarn shopping with mom...

When Your Bf Just Happened To Be Using Aol And Your Mail Comes Up As "congratulations You Won Ebay Auction 1 Ans 2 And 3 And 4...........and You Get That Look Of Discust From Accros The Room....

I'm a stashaholic and proud of it !!!!! I have eight garbage pails , the kind with wheels about four feet tall full of partial balls of yarn. They are destined for afghans. I have thirty-six " milk" cartons full of skeins of sayelle, only one or two of any dye lot. I have an eight foot table in my craft room and under it is stored "bags" of yarn destined for sweaters, bulky yarn fills an entire closet and cones are everywhere.....and I've never bought a cone in my life. I have a sign in my craft room that says "God grant me enough time to finish all my projects.....I figure I have to live to a hundred and forty just to use what I have now let alone what I know I'm going to buy. The more i give away the more that seems to appear. Is there ever an end to it all.......I hope not. I can only hope for control.

You know you are a Stashaholic when you panic because the UPS man is running late and you wanted to get the 50 pound box of cone yarn before your husband gets home from work so you could drag it down to the garage, unpack it, blend it in with the rest of your stash and dispose of the box before he sees it.

Yes, I am a certified Stashaholic and have been desperately trying to reform myself after seeing how much I've spent on yarn, raw fiber and roving this past year! Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty much out of room to stash it :blush My goal is that come the fall, when I open up a large portion of my storage space by delivering my charity donations of hats, scarves, shawls, etc. that I DON'T FILL IT BACK UP WITH YARN. No promises though :devil

:rofl :rofl and my husband thought i was bad.

he made me a footlocker last year and when we moved I used that to put all of my crocheting in. It's not full and i have a box under the kitchen table and a bag that has 4 projects in it. And i want to buy more :blush :blush

P.I.G.S. = Projects In Grocery Sacks

I use old purses (I've always been fond of sack purses) but one of the best things I ahve found to store WIPs are the zip-up plastic bags that bed linens come in. If you get the "Bed in A Bag" ones, they will hold a TON of stasH!

Archived