You Know You're a Stashaholic When...

Rachel, we all have and need indugences - it's part of being human. I'm sure you have at least one and hopefully it's nothing so hideous and harmful as the hording of yarn.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, if you check her past posts, it just seems that today she isn't herself - two nasty posts within minutes of each other - both related to money in some way. So maybe she's just had some bad news today and is feeling grouchy - or, she has friends over and one of the friends kids is playing on the computer with her log on and just being a jerk.

I say we give her the benefit of the doubt, because most of her previous postings were "normal" and even joking about this addiction called crochet.

Trouble is, I hoarde AND do something with all of this yarn....part of the reason for my stash is that in order to SAVE money I buy "lots"...so I get more for my money. My closetful of yarn has cost me less than $100 over the course of 2 years (yep, I keep track) and I have already made *5* afghans and other assorted goodies out of it, with about 4 more in the works. So not only do I have a lot of yarn, I spend a lot of time USING it! :rofl

When you give all your leftover little balls & most of your big ones away when making a move & a year later you're still having to buy more plastic bins to keep your stash in. Over the yrs. I have done almost all the stuff on the list except look for a house with a yarn room. My husband did convert a single car garage tho. Silly man thought he was going to use it for his computer stuff so he lined 2 walls with floor to ceiling shelves. He got a shelf Too high for me to reach. He was very good natured about it tho & was very proud of all my work.

I use old purses (I've always been fond of sack purses) but one of the best things I ahve found to store WIPs are the zip-up plastic bags that bed linens come in. If you get the "Bed in A Bag" ones, they will hold a TON of stasH!

I have about 4 from the king size bed in a bag sets ... all stuffed with baby yarn.

roflmbo........i thought about doing this so when i go to the store.....a "craft" run.......{which i will be doing one tomorrow....just for something to do.}...only $20.00 budget but,if i printed it out. then i wont get anything i already have......

You know you are a stashaholic when....You go on a trip with an extra suitcase to bring back the yarn you just might buy along the way.

You know you are a stashaholic when....The first thing you check when going to visit a new city is how many yarn shops there are and exactly where they are.

:laughroll :laughroll

It's nice to know I am not alone!:haha

Actually, if you check her past posts, it just seems that today she isn't herself - two nasty posts within minutes of each other - both related to money in some way. So maybe she's just had some bad news today and is feeling grouchy - or, she has friends over and one of the friends kids is playing on the computer with her log on and just being a jerk.

I say we give her the benefit of the doubt, because most of her previous postings were "normal" and even joking about this addiction called crochet.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt-it was a joke someone played on me, and I very nearly didn't come back because I was so ashamed of what this friend had done. I think maybe I'll log out when I have friends over.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt-it was a joke someone played on me, and I very nearly didn't come back because I was so ashamed of what this friend had done. I think maybe I'll log out when I have friends over.

No worries dear - after I saw the other posts I figured it was something like that right away - and the fact that no-one in this thread yelled at you goes to show we all pretty much figured something along those lines.

I'm glad your back :cheer- would be a shame to miss out on all this board has to offer just cause a friend thought they were being funny.

You know you're a stashaholic when:

You take your tall teenage son with you to Hobby Lobby so he can pull down the baskets on the top shelf so you can see what they're currently hiding or saving for themselves.

(I kid you not, they do that here.. I've found lots of dazzleaire yarn in them. Bought it all and made the sales people mad.. they were saving it for themselves or their buddies)

Yes wb and tell your friend if she can affording heating for the cost of just a few wooden hooks, then maybe she needs to hook us all up. LOL

LOL. She doesn't live in the real world-she has no idea of what things cost, because she has always had money given to her by her family. She and I are not on speaking terms at this point...

Thanks so much to all of you for understanding about the whole mess.

Now, I have a question for all of you-is it sort of a rule to have a big stash? I absolutely cannot afford lots of yarn, and tend to buy yarn by the project, then buy more when its gone. So, I cannot call myself a stashaholic. Unless I win the lottery or something, I doubt I'll have the stash that some of you ladies have.

I have a small stash, but it's only because I found some yarn for a great bargain. Otherwise, I typically buy specifically for projects. My 'stash' yarn is $2.50 or less per 7-12 oz skein, and $4 or less per 12-16 oz skein.

Um, Rachel, I don't think having a big stash is a sign of crochet prowess. I think it has a lot more to do with the kind of shopper you are. For instance, I've always had the (probably bad) habit of buying lots of something when I see it if it is at a good price. Probably picked up in my youth when we went to the commissary only once a month (related story: every month, 3 months running, my mom looked at the mayonnaise and said - this is on my mind, we must be out - so she got a jar. The third time, she finally remembered the reason mayonnaise was on her mind was because she was trying to remember we had plenty, so *not* to buy any more of it!:lol). I guess we were never sure if what we needed would be there the next time, so we always had an extra (or 3! in the case of mayonnaise :rofl) on hand. Today, that "better get enough" habit of mine drives my husband nuts. Now, if I could just master the black hole technology (and database!) that would let me store everything.... :think

Sadly, it also means I have a lot of everything on hand. Sometimes to the point where I know I have it, can't find it, and am reduced to buying it again when I need it! It's not a good thing, actually. I'm not trying to be funny, here, just admitting a problem. I can laugh about the yarn, because it keeps forever. Not so with food that ends up going to waste.....

hmm, not trying to drag down our spirits here - and I am making strides on fixing my shopping/organizing habits. Just to be honest about how much this has impacted us, for example, our cat, Ichiban, passed away about 2 years ago at the age of 18 (miss him still...), and, get this - my dh said we couldn't get the kitten (he)/kittens(me and my son) want until we could clear and keep clear at least one room in the house (picked the family room). He said we couldn't take any more complexity in our lives. I was shocked; couldn't believe he was saying no. On reflection, he was right to take a stand. I was just letting things slide..... and not training my son, right, either. On the uphill swing - we cleaned the family room (together, too!) last night. Wish us luck in keeping it clear!

Oh, Patricia - but it will feel so GOOD to purge all that crud! Even if it's useful, it's only useful when you NEED it.... Garage sale, donations, etc... We just went through ALL the kids' toys (4 kids!), hustled ALL the toys out to the garage (24x40') and sorted pieces and parts. Made them choose which to keep, which to store, which to sell.

I only have a stash of yarn because I've bought some lots...I use some, save some. I do also buy for a project and usually buy a little extra so have some of that as well. A stash is good for me b/c I'm over 1/2 hour from the store and don't get out much. If I need something, I hit the stash.

No, it's not a necessity - I think it's more of an accumulation for most people.

Humm, no, I don't think having a huge stash is a "must do" if you are a crocheter.

I agree with what was said about being taught in our youth to be a certain kind of shopper. If it is a fantastic deal and I can afford it, I usually can't pass it up. But after my mom and sister moved a few years ago, and I saw how attached they were to really stupid things, how they could not bear to let anything go (and I do mean ANYTHING) it made me take a hard look at myself and I realized how bad I'd gotten. I vowed to change then and there. That was over 10 years ago.

I did change a LOT of things - now, every three months I go through the whole house and throw out or give away things that were not used the past three months and will not likely be used in the upcoming three months. My only "indulgence" is my fiber/crafting stash which includes yarn, roving, raw fleece, feathers, beads, paper, paints, pens, colored pencils and a small amount of fabric. My reasoning is that I need to allow myself at least one indulgence AND the fact that a large portion of the fiber related items I make end up going to charities, so my indulgence isn't just a selfish/nuerotic compulsion - it actually does some good.

But yes - too much hording is not really a necessity, and if you let it control you instead of controlling it, sometimes it can become a problem.

Coolhockeymom-Seems to me "stash" doesn't actually refer to size, so much as the fact that you've got yarn that you're not actively crocheting with at the present moment. But yeah, I agree with the definition that you gave. If you've gotta hide it in another location in order to buy more (all the while controlling what the person you live with sees in the house), you MIGHT be a stashaholic.

You know, some of the stuff I've been reading would make wonderful stand-up comedy material. If Jeff Foxworthy can make $$$ with his routine, I'll bet one of us could!

When the latest shippment of wool takes a post office van to deliver it.

You hope your fella is out when it arrives.

You look at your stash of wool and smile.

Your friends drag you out of the charity shop and try to move you away from the wool.

The four year old girl you nanny for laughs when you are loading up the shopping trolley with cheap wool.

Also when wool appears on the childrens television programme she shouts you in from the other room saying "look Sian there is wool on the telly" and she gets exited as you run in to see.

Your friends worry about your yarn addiction. and try to talk to you about it.

your boyfriend has given up moaning about your wool and darent go in the spare room.

You cant change a flat tyre on your car because your boot is jammed with wool.

You dread being stopped by the police incase they want to look in your boot.

when you are cought on ebay looking at wool by your other half you say you are just researching.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol @ secretstasher

How about this-

If you know as much about the UPS deliveryman's family as your own, and he was even in the family portrait on last year's Christmas card, you MIGHT be a stashaholic...

If, when in labor, you ask your husband to leave the house early so that you can go to JoAnn's on the way to the hospital, you MIGHT be a stashaholic...

Archived